Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Terper posted:

Squad Missions are unlocked by your Squad clearing out the Squad Tasks.

That explains a lot. I haven't been able to join any squad lately that actually does that poo poo. People used to on day 1-2 but now? barely anything

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

GreenBuckanneer posted:

That explains a lot. I haven't been able to join any squad lately that actually does that poo poo. People used to on day 1-2 but now? barely anything

I figure it's partly due to it being weekdays, honestly.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

I try to help out with the tasks but there's always one task that i'm just lost on because all you get are the names for the task, not the general area they're in.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Dante18907 posted:

What? Galactic knight has like no tanking whatsoever and I absolutely shred face with my melee combo? I feel like you played a completely different class.

Galactic Knight has a melee ability that generates lots of extra TP if you attack from the front which seems like a really useful tanking ability. They also get what seems to be the best heal in the game. They may not be tanks out of the box but I'd want both those abilities if I were tanking.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Senerio posted:

I figure it's partly due to it being weekdays, honestly.

That sucks because my days off are sunday and the middle of the week :\ Otherwise it's late at night when everyone's going to bed.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Someone else's picture, How the gently caress do they have so many squad missions? I have two.

Also: what do the pink stars mean compared to the normal stars? That it's super duper hard?

Those aren't Squad Missions, they're Support Missions (as it says at the top of the list). You unlock them when you beat Chapter 12. They're offline only, and mostly serve as an easy way to grind EXP/Affinity/Miranium/Cash/Division points.

e: There's also no acceptance restrictions on them like there is Squad Missions where one party gets to run a given mission and that's that.

Hey Fingercuffs
Nov 29, 2007

Yo baby, you ever had your asshole licked by a fat man in an overcoat?
I'm shocked there is not more talk about L in this thread. The man is a national treasure. Also I've been doing nothing but side missions since I got my Skell Got the rest of the party up to 30, got the rest of the team Skells, then found a group of level 48 Scirpo's in Noctilum and was able to beat them pretty easily so now the crew is power leveling.

One question though is there any way to upgrade the first Skell you get so that it can equip high level gear or is it always stuck at the lower elvel.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
They say in-game that it's a really bad and expensive thing to switch divisions, but I looked at the prices and they seemed downright cheap. Would it make sense to switch divisions based on what you plan on doing the most of that day, as far as grinding division points? Like if I sat down and said I was going to wail away on indigens for a few hours to work on arts/skills it would make sense to switch to Interceptors/Harriers, or if I was going to blue grind and work on my Collectopedia, swap to Curators?

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
I thought I was filthy rich until I had to start maintaining my skell and I assume it's gonna take me a huge chunk of cheese to outfit my entire crew

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Fhqwhgads posted:

They say in-game that it's a really bad and expensive thing to switch divisions, but I looked at the prices and they seemed downright cheap. Would it make sense to switch divisions based on what you plan on doing the most of that day, as far as grinding division points? Like if I sat down and said I was going to wail away on indigens for a few hours to work on arts/skills it would make sense to switch to Interceptors/Harriers, or if I was going to blue grind and work on my Collectopedia, swap to Curators?

Not really

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Today I felt the harsh sting of capitalism as I managed to wreck my Skell consecutively in three dumb as hell ways and ran out of insurance. And didn't have enough money to pay the repairs ASAP.

At least it caused me to rejigger my research probes and I think I'm now taking home double what I was previously. And I'm pretty sure I'm still doing poo poo hella inefficiently.

But what I really want to talk about is something that hit me while wandering around the city (looking for those stupid lobsters) and finding small events. There is some REALLY significant optional content in this game. Like, insanely so. I don't remember the last game I played that allowed the players to miss so much plot, character building and expansion. I mean 4 freaking xeno species are OPTIONAL. And each one changes the landscape of NLA bit by bit and have multiple quests and simple quests and it's just REALLY impressive the effort that went into things that some players, hell, a lot of players will never see.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Hey Fingercuffs posted:

I'm shocked there is not more talk about L in this thread. The man is a national treasure.

It's a horse eat horse world!

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
How many companies/xenos should I have by chapter 7

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Also I did a count on the characters I have and added mentally the ones I know also join and jesus christ you get 18 characters to join your party each with at least two affinity missions and probably 5 H2H's. That's a lot of affinity to grind up if you're a completionist!

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Fhqwhgads posted:

I think the price goes up every time you switch. Unless I'm missing something I don't think it's really worth minmaxing your division, just use it as a flavor thing with some slight bonuses. There's enough other stuff to micromanage in this game that your attention is better spent elsewhere.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I am seriously having trouble with the game due to the text size. I have to be 3 feet from my TV to read anything and playing on the gamepad is useless. There's no option to increase the size or text boxes. Is there a patch for this?

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Calaveron posted:

How many companies/xenos should I have by chapter 7
I think chapter 7 is the last gate in the way of filling out your company list completely, but some of the missions are higher level than you're expected to be by the story.

Pollyanna posted:

I am seriously having trouble with the game due to the text size. I have to be 3 feet from my TV to read anything and playing on the gamepad is useless. There's no option to increase the size or text boxes. Is there a patch for this?
Yeah its called Lasik surgery.

The text is characteristically too small but if you have a normal TV set up and normal vision it should only be annoying, not unreadable.

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002
PROUD MEMBER OF THE RAPIST DEFENSE BRIGADE! DO NOT BE MEAN TO RAPISTS, OR I WILL VOTE FOR THEM WITH EVER INCREASING VIGOR!
This is somewhat of a difficult game to get a hold of at the start, but once you understand the mechanics and how deep everything is from economics, to crafting, upgrades, leveling, combat mechanics, it is a dream come true.

I found playing with my Wii U Pro with the Gamepad to the side for mapping functions/fast travel and changing out probes is a lot better than playing strictly with the gamepad. The two work side by side which is fantastic.

The majority of my game time either is PC or PS4, and the only thing I wish Nintendo would do with their next gen console is to change the buttons to mirror PS4 and Xbox controllers. I keep hitting B thinking it is A. The same with Y and X. It's been this way for a while now, but still annoying for me.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Fhqwhgads posted:

I don't think the prospecters have ever not won the division game. It's crazy

If you sell a weapon do you get the augments on it back?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Zelder posted:

If you sell a weapon do you get the augments on it back?

It'll warn you and prompt if you want to sell with the augments on or automatically remove them and then sell the weapon alone.

tidiox
Jul 22, 2007
It's far from guaranteed and won't work on tyrants or bosses that I've seen, but the Mastermind combo of Brainjack -> Sacrifice Servant is hilarious when it lands. With Sacrifice at Level 3 and about 4800 max TP, I can end fights instantly and make back the 1000TP it costs.

It's just a shame that the crowd control isn't more useful. Unless you're fighting the rare group of enemies, Control just acts as a long stun. As far as I can tell, bosses and tyrants are all immune, so the above combo leaves you with two wasted slots if you don't swap. Sleep sounds useful until you realize sleeping targets will be awoken instantly, if not by your immediate followup auto-attack, then by one of your teammates. I guess you could build a whole party with the two skills/augments that prevent waking targets with auto-attacks and arts, but otherwise it acts like another stagger without the guaranteed topple followup.

For people looking for more healing: Smooth Recovery is a great heal. It's Irina's unique knife art, but the mission for it is mandatory to start Chapter 5. It's full party, no TP cost, has immediate reuse as its secondary CD effect, and gives an Evasion buff. Also, remember that Potential will buff the heals you receive (or give?) from activating Soul Voices.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

zedprime posted:

The text is characteristically too small but if you have a normal TV set up and normal vision it should only be annoying, not unreadable.

nah even with good vision and a good tv the text is still too small for comfort, especially on the gamepad where the blurry resolution actually does make it a strain to read

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

zedprime posted:

That doesn't explain the gamepad. I see reports of the same problem elsewhere on the internet, and I wonder if it will ever be addressed.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
If you die to a guy three times and the game offers to lower the difficulty, does that lower it just for that mission or the entire game?

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

That mission/boss.

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.

Infinity Gaia posted:

But what I really want to talk about is something that hit me while wandering around the city (looking for those stupid lobsters) and finding small events. There is some REALLY significant optional content in this game. Like, insanely so. I don't remember the last game I played that allowed the players to miss so much plot, character building and expansion.

Whilst I was looking for lobsters last night (I've got two left from the initial batch and it's bugging the hell out of me), I walked down a random alleyway and got caught up in a murder investigation after a Ma-non fell from the sky in front of me. That was definitely unexpected.

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014

Zelder posted:

I don't think the prospecters have ever not won the division game. It's crazy

mediators, last place every time. :toot:

also if anyone knows what/where shrads are in cauldros i'd appreciate it. need their drops for L's affinity mission.

e: i can just buy them with tickets. im dumb.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID

Saigyouji posted:

Whilst I was looking for lobsters last night (I've got two left from the initial batch and it's bugging the hell out of me), I walked down a random alleyway and got caught up in a murder investigation after a Ma-non fell from the sky in front of me. That was definitely unexpected.

Talk about getting flashbacks of Morrowind exploration :v:

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

I love how I'm pointed to go down to the Asscaves and when I get there there's a very, very gratuitous rear end shot when I get there.

They weren't kidding bout those asscaves.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

zedprime posted:

What you find annoying I find super annoying. It's poo poo on a 39" hdtv.

Maybe it was fine when you sat 3 feet from your tv because your japanese apartment was 10'x10'x8'

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Maybe it was fine when you sat 3 feet from your tv because your japanese apartment was 10'x10'x8'

I've no idea if they're aiming for some new generation of TV or what's going on. The eye strain was too much for me. I gave up trying to play it on my 40 inch HD in the living room and plugged the Wiiu into my PC monitor instead. The text is perfectly fine on the monitor and looks no different from a PC game.

Attack on Princess fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Dec 10, 2015

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Utnayan posted:

The majority of my game time either is PC or PS4, and the only thing I wish Nintendo would do with their next gen console is to change the buttons to mirror PS4 and Xbox controllers. I keep hitting B thinking it is A. The same with Y and X. It's been this way for a while now, but still annoying for me.

Maybe those companies should switch to the superior nintendo layout instead

Med School
Feb 27, 2012

Where did you learn how to do that?
Starting chapter 6 and Lao is 10 levels lower than everyone else. This should be good.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

Med School posted:

Starting chapter 6 and Lao is 10 levels lower than everyone else. This should be good.

Just hop over to a few enemies around your level and kill some. He'll gain like 2-3 levels in like 10 minutes. Once he hits 20 you can equip some store-bought armor on him and he won't be a TOTAL hanger-on anymore.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I think they've admitted they fumbled text size compared to the Japanese text and figuring it was ok was probably a case of playing on a small tv/computer monitor near by so if there's any post launch support at all planned we will probably see text size get an adjustment. But I sit what calculators call too far from my tv, and while I have had to lean and strain to make things out in the environment in Dark Souls and Dragon's Dogma, I can comfortably make out all the text in this game.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
I have 0 problem with text size on a 46" TV

You all are blind

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.
So uh, I've completed the 'Prospective Partners' affinity mission, but the AM that's supposed to unlock.. didn't. Is there some other mission requirement?

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.

Eopia posted:

So uh, I've completed the 'Prospective Partners' affinity mission, but the AM that's supposed to unlock.. didn't. Is there some other mission requirement?

Apparently, you actually have to complete the mission A Challenger Approaches, which is unlocked by Prospective Partners. The Prima guide gets this right on the page for the mission itself, but not on the page for arms manufacturers.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I have a 55" and it's still a bit of a pain sitting at my normal couch distance. In my opinion, they need to make the text bigger and let you increase and decrease volume on music/voices/etc (like most modern games) and they need that in a patch asap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

GreenBuckanneer posted:

That sucks because my days off are sunday and the middle of the week :\ Otherwise it's late at night when everyone's going to bed.

Join the big goon squad that seems to always be going. Last night we managed to finish 3 or 4 while I was on. I even helped by killing a bunch of crabs!

• Locked thread