Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Slime
Jan 3, 2007
I booted Starbound back up after this patch and figured I'd give it a second third chance. I was bored out of my goddamn skull the entire time. It's still horribly gated, your first major goal is to dig to the centre of the loving planet to get some lovely loving rocks,, and it was still lovely. There were some caves, but all that was in them were some lovely monsters.

Game still bad guys, I can confirm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

Slime posted:

I booted Starbound back up after this patch and figured I'd give it a second third chance. I was bored out of my goddamn skull the entire time. It's still horribly gated, your first major goal is to dig to the centre of the loving planet to get some lovely loving rocks,, and it was still lovely. There were some caves, but all that was in them were some lovely monsters.

You still have to do that? Do you still need to do the stupid crystal quest to actually start flying?

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

yes

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Slime posted:

Forcing you to dig to the center of the first planet with tier1 poo poo before you can actually go places is sadistic. How can they still think that's fun and good?

Touch damage. Nevermind.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

Apparently you can't energy dash in the air because techs will be upgradeable in the future.

So of course the devs made it so you get poo poo tier tech now with no upgrades possible instead of waiting until upgrades were a thing and implementing it then.

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

Some games realise its more fun to give you regular stuff and upgrade it to be awesome rather than give you poo poo stuff and upgrade it to be regular. Starbound is not one of those games.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Rotten Cookies posted:

Apparently you can't energy dash in the air because techs will be upgradeable in the future.

So of course the devs made it so you get poo poo tier tech now with no upgrades possible instead of waiting until upgrades were a thing and implementing it then.

That poo poo is unforgivable even for an unstable release, let alone what's meant to be a stable. gently caress, it's stupid as hell for a NIGHTLY goddamn release. Don't remove functionality you intend to replace until the replacement is at least somewhat ready. It's a thing I've seen in-development games do a few times now, it's incredibly stupid.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Davoren posted:

Some games realise its more fun to give you regular stuff and upgrade it to be awesome rather than give you poo poo stuff and upgrade it to be regular. Starbound is not one of those games.

I was just thinking that, so far, the best thing that Chucklefish has to their name is Risk of Rain (although they're only the publisher), and that game is indeed one of the ones you're referring to. Seriously, how often do you find upgrades while playing? I think I average about one every 4-5 minutes.

Rrussom
May 13, 2009
I wish more games featured women turning into toilets. I want toilet transformers.
I never really got into risk of rain, Stardew valley and witchermarsh are the things im looking forward too, both only being published by funklefish

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Since [some] people like my posts about design and such I figured I'd give a quick opinion on these notes:

- Special abilities linked to melee/ranged weapons are a huge step towards a functional combat system that can support their Dark Souls obsession. If they're smart they could build off of this to give melee weapons defensive or mobility-based abilities to allow them to dodge attacks Ranged weapons would need to stop a reposition to avoid, which would then allow them to remove backpedal penalty in favor of mobile enemies and a speed decrease when attacking.

- Dual wielding fist weapons is a pretty cool and time-tested way to differentiate knuckle weapons.

- More special abilities, more telegraphing for enemies is a VERY good change that matches well with the weapon changes.

-Making all monsters damage on touch is a bad thing that people have pointed out. People have also pointed out that this would be handled better with "thorny" creature variances which would add one more interesting RNG hazard to the system and preserve slow wall-crawl enemies (who would be heavily biased towards thorny parts)

- Vehicles look pretty drat fun, and making them a more common/general system both solves current gripes with poo poo travel speed and open the gates to additional easy content generation and planetary hazard prep.

- Colonists giving quests is a huge step towards making them actually useful.

- More content is good, so long as it doesn't slow adapting to feedback and fixing glaring mechanical problems.

Outside of touch damage and undocumented fuckery people are finding, this would be a very hopeful patch. With those it's still mostly a step in the right direction (after all, if they've been schizo enough to change it like three times now, theres a chance they walk it back after growing these ability systems)

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Rrussom posted:

I never really got into risk of rain, Stardew valley and witchermarsh are the things im looking forward too, both only being published by funklefish

risk of rain had way too many issues. i liked a lot of stuff about it like the music and art, but having to jump + attack to survive as basically any melee character or else you're going to get mulched in 3 seconds was really lovely.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Bought a hover bike. It's cool but really needs to be able to fly/jump higher than it can currently. A lessened rate of descent post jump would be sweet too.

Make space bar make you ascend rather than jump and release descend and we should be good. Or let a future vehicle at least.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

fun bug: When you go to make the Portable Pixel Printer, make sure you only the EXACT mats on hand for it.

It will eat EVERYTHING you have of those mats otherwise. 250 diamonds down the drain. atleast i made my 10 diamond drills before doing it.

Rrussom
May 13, 2009
I wish more games featured women turning into toilets. I want toilet transformers.

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

risk of rain had way too many issues. i liked a lot of stuff about it like the music and art, but having to jump + attack to survive as basically any melee character or else you're going to get mulched in 3 seconds was really lovely.

I just didnt really like the gameplay at all, seemed like all it had too it was being in an arena were you faced against waves of enemies.

Rrussom fucked around with this message at 11:39 on Dec 10, 2015

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Rrussom posted:

I just didnt really like the gameplay at all, seemed like all it had too it was being in an arena were you faced against waves of enemies.

Yes, that is the nature of the game.

Rrussom
May 13, 2009

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Yes, that is the nature of the game.

Yeah figured, Rip in piss

LordZoric
Aug 30, 2012

Let's wish for a space whale!

Davoren posted:

holy lol, hosed up if true

I feel like they'd rather be playing this game than making it. The best changes are always art related, and every update seems to have new biomes or mini dungeons, cause they just want to build stuff that looks cool rather than work on systems.

It's the "we have more art designers than programmers on our team" problem.

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I was just thinking that, so far, the best thing that Chucklefish has to their name is Risk of Rain (although they're only the publisher), and that game is indeed one of the ones you're referring to.

Is that Halfway game any good? It looks kind of interesting but I decided against it when I saw who was publishing it. Same with Interstellaria or whatever it is.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Rrussom posted:

Yeah figured, Rip in piss

Well, I like it because despite that being the main jist (gist?) of it, there is an ending, there is strategy, and there ARE a ton of power-ups given away often enough to keep me coming back. Sometimes I'll have a bad run, and other times, you just hit that sweet spot of playing with a clear head, not doing stupid poo poo, and getting these awesome power-up combinations that just wreck the enemy's poo poo so much. :clint: Think of it, at that point, as 2D Serious Sam, but with really neat abilities.

I'd recommend giving it another try if any of this even remotely interests you; definitely play as Commando (the first available class), and definitely use a controller, holy gently caress. How people enjoy this game with a keyboard is beyond me :psyduck:

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

So, update on the forums:

Whoever got into one of the admin accounts loving owned the poo poo out of these guys, holy hell. Deleted the entire Social (the most active) and Admin sections of the forums, and though the crew managed to shut everything down before the cybercrimer could do anymore damage, when they rolled back the servers they noticed that their last backup was in March. For the entire forums. I hope this doesn't effect mods!

What they're doing now is moving all previous threads into an archive sections and just starting everything fresh. Forums are down in the meantime. I sure picked an excellent time to have a huge problem with my mod I need to ask other modders about lmao

SovietPotatoe
May 14, 2011

Master of the Duncspawn Taint

LordZoric posted:

Is that Halfway game any good? It looks kind of interesting but I decided against it when I saw who was publishing it. Same with Interstellaria or whatever it is.

Both of those are pretty decent. Nothing amazing but then they only cost $10 or something. You realize just because it says published by Chucklefish doesn't mean CF was actually involved in any of the development (or even the publishing for that matter)?

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Babe Magnet posted:

So, update on the forums:

Whoever got into one of the admin accounts loving owned the poo poo out of these guys, holy hell. Deleted the entire Social (the most active) and Admin sections of the forums, and though the crew managed to shut everything down before the cybercrimer could do anymore damage, when they rolled back the servers they noticed that their last backup was in March.

I know I already said :mediocre:, but this is extremely mediocre.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Seems to be keeping in-line with modus operandi: Great at their strength (art! publishing!) and absolutely loving terrible at everything else.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Every sysadmin should sweat bullets if the last update is older than a week on basically anything.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Forum hack was a false flag.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Shoehead posted:

Forum hack was a false flag.

Ethics!

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Yeah, just because I'm disappointed in the combat/survival direction of the game doesn't mean literal sabotage fuckery is deserved.

What the loving gently caress at the last backup being nearly a year ago though.

LordZoric
Aug 30, 2012

Let's wish for a space whale!

SovietPotatoe posted:

Both of those are pretty decent. Nothing amazing but then they only cost $10 or something. You realize just because it says published by Chucklefish doesn't mean CF was actually involved in any of the development (or even the publishing for that matter)?

Oh yeah, absolutely. I'm just saying that the fact that it was published by Chucklefish was enough to make me feel really leery of it. It didn't help that the first game they published was that one Wanderlust game.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

you almost got me to instal the game again, chucklefish

almost

Rrussom posted:

Rip in piss

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

The quests to upgrade ship size being behind random quests for the main hub kinda seems wrong. I shouldn't have to bake a cake to get a longer ship.

Thinking about it, ship upgrades are the best opportunity for quests that require gathering lots of resources for actually getting the upgrade 'approval' so to speak. So lots of wire, ingots and other materials like glass.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Rrussom posted:

You sir, are the exemplar of this thread.

Dandywalken posted:

The quests to upgrade ship size being behind random quests for the main hub kinda seems wrong. I shouldn't have to bake a cake to get a longer ship.

Thinking about it, ship upgrades are the best opportunity for quests that require gathering lots of resources for actually getting the upgrade 'approval' so to speak. So lots of wire, ingots and other materials like glass.

I actually agree with that. I usually space out while mining anyway and end up with tons of extra mats.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

So I'm looking at the files for monsters (specifically pets but I assume they're build in a similar fashion) and there's an entry literally called touchDamage. I'm pretty sure it wouldn't be too difficult to whip up a script that went through every monster file and set all of the damage values for that entry to 0.

Rrussom
May 13, 2009

Babe Magnet posted:

So I'm looking at the files for monsters (specifically pets but I assume they're build in a similar fashion) and there's an entry literally called touchDamage. I'm pretty sure it wouldn't be too difficult to whip up a script that went through every monster file and set all of the damage values for that entry to 0.

No, DONT. that would be wrongfun!

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Babe Magnet posted:

I still think the most overpowered yet cool mod would be unlocking a weapon that's alt Fire let you copy a monster's primary attack.

"Hmm, I could use the top tier rocket launcher or hammer... Or, I could copy that blood spit from a bone bird a few difficulty tiers back and kill literally everything in one second or less."

EDIT: Honestly a nice balance guideline in general is "Would it completely shatter the game over your knee, if the players had access to this non boss enemy attack?"

Section Z fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Dec 11, 2015

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Starbound really has a habit of making changes halfway. They'll nerf something fun until it's not fun anymore because a fun addition is coming like, a year later. So in the meantime you just have to slog through it. Adding upgrades to techs is fine. Downgrading the start point so upgrades have more distance to cover is questionable. But downgrading the techs before the upgrades are available is so dumb.
So dumb.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Vib Rib posted:

Starbound really has a habit of making changes halfway. They'll nerf something fun until it's not fun anymore because a fun addition is coming like, a year later. So in the meantime you just have to slog through it. Adding upgrades to techs is fine. Downgrading the start point so upgrades have more distance to cover is questionable. But downgrading the techs before the upgrades are available is so dumb.
So dumb.

I can't wait until December 2016 so I can upgrade dash tech to not be complete poo poo.

Rrussom
May 13, 2009
why the gently caress would you make everything poo poo, before you're even going to attempt to overhaul it, aside from, say, doing it literally when you're patching in the upgrade system.

Rrussom
May 13, 2009
Oh wait, this is starbound, everything was made poo poo from the very begining, also im expecting regular patches from this game i guess?? i guess i just got a sudden case of the downs.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

hm yes, "just"

Babe Magnet fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Dec 11, 2015

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

having a completely different instanced area for the boss fights is a good idea, its one of the only things i think starbound does better than Terraria.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Vib Rib posted:

So dumb.

Hey, we can use teleport at any time now to get back to the ship. I like that.

• Locked thread