Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Colonial Air Force posted:

How does the CFM56 do with water ingestion?

Put the floaters on top and have the plane land upside-down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Cat Mattress posted:

Please fasten your seatbelts, secure your tray tables, and return your seat backs to their full, upright, and locked positions.

Or else.

Godholio fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Dec 10, 2015

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Duke Chin posted:

clearly they should be mounted A-10 style.

May I request an a-10 seaplane?

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Cat Mattress posted:

Worth a try. :jeb:

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Which, by the way, is the most adorable little thing. It wants to be a C-17 so bad!

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

StandardVC10 posted:

Worth a try. :jeb:

I think you can delete the costly and heavy float-rudders now since you get one for free in the vert stab.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Front of the fuselage still looks less derpy than the A380.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Poor 747s - you have become the rusty dodge minivans of the airplane world: http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/malaysia-kuala-lumpur-airport-747-1.3356899

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.
Somebody made an effortpost a good while back about how the holding company / airline / aircraft ownership shell game works. Can anyone provide a link?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Nebakenezzer posted:

Poor 747s - you have become the rusty dodge minivans of the airplane world: http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/malaysia-kuala-lumpur-airport-747-1.3356899

The livery looks like Saudi.

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT
Jun 30, 2008

Somehow I assumed that parking a jumbo jet in an airport required a little more paperwork, rather than 'hey imma leave my jet here for a bit cya'

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

RandomPauI posted:

May I request an a-10 seaplane?

RULE THE SEAS :krakken:

Wasn't sure whether I should give it Navy or Air Force markings

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

StandardVC10 posted:

USMC. Hail Satan.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT posted:

Somehow I assumed that parking a jumbo jet in an airport required a little more paperwork, rather than 'hey imma leave my jet here for a bit cya'

Working in telecom and IT has taught me that if you look/act like you're supposed to be there people tend not to question you.

Showing up to a major airport in a 747 without fighter jets chasing you down would probably be pretty convincing to most.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

wdarkk posted:

USMC. Hail Satan.

Then you gotta make it STOVL, then you've basically got a Cobra Rattler.

I'm ok with this.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
I've always thought if I had a white ford ranger with an amber light on top, I'd be able to park anywhere as long as I put an orange come in front/back of the truck.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

The Guardian listed out the tail numbers, TF-ARM and TF-ARN, and a casual Google tells you both of them were in storage for a fair while.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

StandardVC10 posted:

Owns. Can see that thing rescuing some Navy SEALs on the wings like the British Apaches did with strapping marines to the side.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

wolrah posted:

Working in telecom and IT has taught me that if you look/act like you're supposed to be there people tend not to question you.

Showing up to a major airport in a 747 without fighter jets chasing you down would probably be pretty convincing to most.

It's true, in the land of automotive manufacturing the man with a polo shirt and clipboard is king.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

StandardVC10 posted:

Awesome!

Markings: Coast Guard

e:

Godholio posted:

Then you gotta make it STOVL, then you've basically got a Cobra Rattler.

It doesn't need STOVL because it operates from its own bespoke seaplane tender.

Nebakenezzer fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Dec 10, 2015

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

StandardVC10 posted:

:perfect:

Give it air force markings, because they would hate it even more than they hate the current A-10.

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

blugu64 posted:

I've always thought if I had a white ford ranger with an amber light on top, I'd be able to park anywhere as long as I put an orange come in front/back of the truck.

There was a story floating around the internet of a guy who basically did this with a white Cherokee in Cambridge MA, (where street parking is notoriously hard to come by) and could basically park wherever he wanted.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Shampoo posted:

There was a story floating around the internet of a guy who basically did this with a white Cherokee in Cambridge MA, (where street parking is notoriously hard to come by) and could basically park wherever he wanted.

The Telstar Logistics guy?

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Dec 10, 2015

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

MANGOSTEEN CURES P posted:

It's true, in the land of automotive manufacturing the man with a polo shirt and clipboard is king.
Same in my world. A polo shirt with a company logo, a clipboard, and a butt set hanging off my backpack have gotten me in to hundreds of phone/data/utility rooms over the years, even where I had no legitimate reason to be (wrong address on my work orders).

I've been doing it for over 10 years now and I've been questioned maybe a half dozen times if that.

Shampoo posted:

I have no trouble at all believing this. My company used to have a car that was wrapped with company graphics and we could pretty much park that anywhere just by putting the four-ways on. Some cones and an amber light would really sell it.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

wolrah posted:

Same in my world. A polo shirt with a company logo, a clipboard, and a butt set hanging off my backpack have gotten me in to hundreds of phone/data/utility rooms over the years, even where I had no legitimate reason to be (wrong address on my work orders).

I've been doing it for over 10 years now and I've been questioned maybe a half dozen times if that.

Fun fact: Universal Orlando requires you to have a visible ID badge when roaming around backstage, but there aren't actually any security guards at the entrances between backstage and the public areas of the theme park and virtually nobody even so much as glances at you to see if you have it. And nobody actually checks if it's really yours unless they have some specific security reason (like you're entering through an official employee entrance). The main backstage areas are open to any employee anyway, so there's no check to see if you have official business back there. They're also very bad about confiscating the badges of terminated employees unless they're terminated on the job; my seasonal contract simply expired and they didn't even send an email or phone call regarding it, so my badge is still hanging on my wall. Ironic for a theme park that studiously runs everyone through metal detectors, pat-downs, and sometimes makes them expose their waists and ankles just to get into their Halloween event.

I'm pretty sure a lot of employees (or ex-employees) have used this to sneak into Halloween Horror Nights or other events. You just walk backstage during the day with a badge clipped to your pants, wait until the event starts, and walk back into the park as you take your badge off. Can't get you free admission during the day on blackout dates unless your badge works, but anyone can bullshit a reason at the gate by claiming to have an appointment at such-and-such building and just not go there. Or more benignly, just use it to go backstage to the employee grills and get better food than they sell in the park for a cheaper price.

There's also been claims by certain explorers that you can run around backstage at Walt Disney World without even needing an easily visible badge or name tag as long as you sufficiently look like you're supposed to be there and don't linger by security.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
I had that same experience when I worked for Coca Cola as a merchandiser. Before I had my uniform they just told me to wear a red or a grey polo shirt, I would walk into grocery stores and say I'm with Coke if anyone asked but no one ever did, right into the back, load up carts of product to stock the shelves. I'm sure I could have walked right out the front door and no one would bat an eye.

99% of it is looking like you know what you're doing or belong and people wont question it.

HookedOnChthonics
Dec 5, 2015

Profoundly dull

StandardVC10 posted:

Nobody show this to David Axe :v:

And as awesome as those floatliners are, I think you may be focusing on the wrong manufacturer:

Boeing's acquisition of the the company that once hired the engineers that did this means they are clearly already the mature market leader, so if it ain't Boeing I'm not going. :colbert:

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

HookedOnChthonics posted:

And as awesome as those floatliners are, I think you may be focusing on the wrong manufacturer:

Boeing's acquisition of the the company that once hired the engineers that did this means they are clearly already the mature market leader, so if it ain't Boeing I'm not going. :colbert:

I feel like there was at least one floatplane DC-3 survivor into the 21st century, but I don't remember any of the specifics.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

StandardVC10 posted:

I feel like there was at least one floatplane DC-3 survivor into the 21st century, but I don't remember any of the specifics.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJ6zTZuq5zw
(This one was converted to floats in the 70s.)

Brovine
Dec 24, 2011

Mooooo?

D C posted:

99% of it is looking like you know what you're doing or belong and people wont question it.

I have a friend who used to work at a place with a security gate for the car park. The gate staff stopped closely checking his pass after a while, so he started experimenting with waving different things at them to get in.

He claims that the following worked: driving license, library card, bank card, blank piece of paper, and a slice of toast.

I am dubious about the slice of toast but I can believe the others.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

blugu64 posted:

When I was 17 I worked at a local amusement park, basically as parking lot security. Mostly jump starting cars, slim-jimming doors, and driving around in a beater S10 to "deter theft and vandalism." Our uniforms looked like cop uniforms. My personal car was a white Ford Taurus, and they were still in wide service alongside the new Luminas. Every day as I drove down the highway I'd set the cruise control right at the speed limit, drive in the middle lane, and glare at every single car that tried to pass me. Without fail they'd brake check if they looked over.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

HookedOnChthonics posted:

Nobody show this to David Axe :v:

Boeing also probably owns the rights to Hughes' airplanes, if I'm reading the web of mergers right -- Boeing definitely ended up with Hughes helicopters via M-D, but apparently the airplane division is now part of DirecTV?

According to some blog, Lockheed considered both bolt-on floats like the DC-3 above and a full-on boat-hulled amphibian C-130.

Also, re: flying yachts, I prefer the looks of the Do. 24, one of which was modernized and converted to amphibian (i.e. wheels added) by the grandson of its designer:

Also the only example still flying; most were built for or stolen by the Nazis and sunk at anchor. The ones captured or license-built elsewhere were flown into the '70s, and between the usual attrition and parts scavenging, there are only a few non-airworthy museum pieces left besides the flagship of Herr Dornier grandfils' charter airline/charity world tour.

D C posted:

I had that same experience when I worked for Coca Cola as a merchandiser. Before I had my uniform they just told me to wear a red or a grey polo shirt, I would walk into grocery stores and say I'm with Coke if anyone asked but no one ever did, right into the back, load up carts of product to stock the shelves. I'm sure I could have walked right out the front door and no one would bat an eye.

Same here, I work for one of the big three merchandising company, we don't wear uniforms or badges (we were all issued nametags, but nobody wears them). Just roll in, "I'm with [company] here to rearrange [an entire aisle], can you print me the planograms?" "Sure." Similarly, a big Nikon and a bag is like the hardhat and clipboard but better -- back when I worked for the newspaper, I'd walk into a $200/plate charity shindig in jeans, a polo shirt, and muddy boots (shot something else immediately before, no time to change), and nobody said a word except to try to give me free booze..

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

chitoryu12 posted:

There's also been claims by certain explorers that you can run around backstage at Walt Disney World without even needing an easily visible badge or name tag as long as you sufficiently look like you're supposed to be there and don't linger by security.

This is true. I consulted for Disney a while back and once you're behind the scenes you can easily roam around or ride the employee bikes around the campus. You won't be able to get inside any of the buildings without a working badge though.

All those buildings? Particularly in Hollywood Studios are used as offices, mostly for IT related stuff. The windows in the room I sat looked out into the park but we're a two-way mirror.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Generally, the bigger the company/property the easier it is to get illicit access. Nobody knows every employee and many locations will have people running around in civilian clothes all the time (theme parks especially with all the off-duty people in the back), and not even the most stringent security guard you see will be so dedicated to his job as to personally ID check every random person he sees as long as they don't give reason to. Even a restricted area matters little if people are nice enough that they'll accept "I forgot my key" or "Huh, looks like the scanner's not working when I run my card through" as an excuse. At Universal I often had problems with Gate 3's scanner not working and unlocking the gate, so sometimes the guard would just walk over, glance vaguely at my badge, and unlock the gate.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

StandardVC10 posted:

God drat I still love this thread.

wdarkk posted:

USMC. Hail Satan.

:lol::lol:

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Delinquent aircraft happen all the time, since often the airport they're left at has zilch in the way of legal standing in the country the company in question is based in. As an isolated example, Varig essentially gave Miami-Dade county an MD-11, because it got grounded at MIA, and the parking fees went up higher than the value of the airplane, after the expense of the required repairs was factored in. It sat there maybe six months, and MD "auctioned*" it to Centurion Air Cargo, who still flies it, AFAIK.

Some airports are a lot more aggressive about that sort of thing than others. Even airports within the same municipal airport authority can have radically different policy when it comes to aircraft parking.

Also; you can go literally anywhere in the sterile area of the airport without showing ID if you are wearing human-piss-and-poo poo-covered shoulder-length gloves.

:(

*Cook County, IL, is the only place more corrupt than Miami-Dade. I'll believe that Centurion bid fairly on the open market for that airplane when unicorns fly out of my butt.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.

Delivery McGee posted:

Also, re: flying yachts, I prefer the looks of the Do. 24, one of which was modernized and converted to amphibian (i.e. wheels added) by the grandson of its designer:

Also the only example still flying; most were built for or stolen by the Nazis and sunk at anchor. The ones captured or license-built elsewhere were flown into the '70s, and between the usual attrition and parts scavenging, there are only a few non-airworthy museum pieces left besides the flagship of Herr Dornier grandfils' charter airline/charity world tour.

The Sikorsky S-38 will always have my vote of what to aquire one of if I ever have two million dollars to spend on a yacht.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

MrYenko posted:

Delinquent aircraft happen all the time, since often the airport they're left at has zilch in the way of legal standing in the country the company in question is based in. As an isolated example, Varig essentially gave Miami-Dade county an MD-11, because it got grounded at MIA, and the parking fees went up higher than the value of the airplane, after the expense of the required repairs was factored in. It sat there maybe six months, and MD "auctioned*" it to Centurion Air Cargo, who still flies it, AFAIK.

Some airports are a lot more aggressive about that sort of thing than others. Even airports within the same municipal airport authority can have radically different policy when it comes to aircraft parking.

Also; you can go literally anywhere in the sterile area of the airport without showing ID if you are wearing human-piss-and-poo poo-covered shoulder-length gloves.

:(

*Cook County, IL, is the only place more corrupt than Miami-Dade. I'll believe that Centurion bid fairly on the open market for that airplane when unicorns fly out of my butt.

KDAB Daytona Beach use to have a DC-10 or something kind of freighter parked out on the tarmac. I think it flew in either the year I started at ERAU or the year prior. Landed because of a bad engine, and was suppose to get fixed. I think it went that it was too expensive, and the operator eventually went bankrupt, so it just sat there for year after year. Freshmen coming in during the year I graduated thought the plane belonged to the school and was being used as a maintenance/commercial pilot trainer. I don't see it on Google Maps, so maybe someone finally flew it out of there.

HookedOnChthonics
Dec 5, 2015

Profoundly dull

Since I have it out, I'll go ahead and :justpost: some stuff from the US Army-Navy Journal of Recognition. I think the Journal is a pretty fascinating document, both as a primary source of the published contemporary opinions of the US Military, intended for the common fighting man, on the various tactics, doctrines, and equpment of the war, and as a relatively early expression of some then-pretty-radical but now invisibly ubiquitous ideas about the value of graphic design to education. The problem of recognition, though a concern as universal to warfare as supply lines, was monumentally more complex in WWII than at any time before thanks to a Cambrian explosion of military vehicles and, particularly with aircraft, the almost complete obviation of geograpical location as a recognition aide. The Journal attempted to convey recognition information to American forces organically by collating it into a LIFE-style photomag troops would read for its own sake. This page, on the C-60, is pretty typical:

Big, attractive photographs that show all angles and views of the aircraft, captions that draw attention to specific visual details and features, and conversational copy peppered with superlatives and factoids—it's essentially a car ad. This seems pretty workaday and non-notable now, but at the time formatting serious, sensitive training materials in this manner was definitely a deliberate choice and a departure from convention. The Journal was only the most basic level of US recognition instruction but as far as I know it is fairly unique in the democratized width of its appeal and intended audience (as a side note, according to the introduction to my edition, the British had much less trouble with recognition than the US because a sufficient percentage of the British public were massive plane and boat nerds that recruiting experts wasn't a problem).

Anyway, since we're on the subject of flying boats, here's a spread on the Sunderland and Wellington:

When I was 13 I was pretty convinced that the Sunderland was just about the coolest airplane conceivable. I've always loved big floatplanes and I bought hard into the hype of it being the ultimate turret-gunship able to singlehandedly tackle JU88 squadrons while nonchalantly depth-charging whole wolfpacks. Anyway point being I was a dumb kid but the Sunderland is p cool. (though I have heard mooring it was one of the most hated and unenvied tasks in the RAF)

The action photography in the Journal is consistently pretty top-notch as part of the mass-appeal gearing. The last photo of this sequence in particular is pretty viscerally pause-giving. Though not all antisub guncam stuff has quite that gravitas:

looks like beef, tastes like beef

Have I mentioned that I'm completely in love with the prose, particularly the headlines? That pre-po-mo declarative just-so confidence: WE HAVE SUNK MANY JAP DD'S. LARGE TRANSPORTS HAUL BIG CARGOES. HEAVY CRUISERS OF AXIS NAVIES REVEAL DEFINITE NATIONAL TRAITS. B-25 & DO-217 HAVE MANY DIFFERENCES. Yes, US Army-Navy Journal of Recognition, yes they do. :allears:

It would be contrary to my duties as an American and a patriot not to give this spread the respect of a shot of each page.

This Japanese chart highlights the difference in approaches—though obviously one single document is not representative of all of their materials Japan in particular seems to have put very little effort into their military graphic design. I have some examples of this I can dig out of other books later, but it's a notable contrast.

Would you guys be interested in seeing more of this stuff? I have lots more from the Journal of Recognition as well as another book full of (color!) aviation training and operations materials from the four major Europe combatants. I could also post the recognition quizzes from the Journal if people want to test their chops.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

:justpost: