Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Psykmoe
Oct 28, 2008

Hellsau posted:

The T-43 is not even close to the VK, sadly. I've heard the KV-13's extra armor is probably more like it, but I never bothered to play it.

The KV-13 is fun and its weird KV/IS-1 mix of a hull shape and gigantic tracks gets its fair share of bullshit bounces and zero damage hits, but its reduced gun depression and view range compared to the VK3002D make it a little less smooth to operate, and once 9.13 hits live servers the minor buffs to the 3002D might mean the KV-13 loses part or all of its agility edge as well.

The KV-13 is certainly one of my favorite tier7 mediums but you won't see me calling it the best :v:

I've also got the T20 and T-34-1. I am a tier7 medium apologist, but these days it's my VK3002D and KV-13 that see the most play in that tier.

Also, the other day I managed to ammo-rack a WZ-111 in two shots with my KV-13 :getin:

Edit: I never did give the Chi-Ri a chance, I guess I'm not a proper apologist anymore :saddowns:

Edit2: Honestly the T-43 has even less to recommend it over the KV-13 than I thought. You've got a bit of view range, extra gun depression (8 vs 5, that's the biggest plus) and very slightly faster gun reload. Also reduced engine fire chance, 12 vs 15%, but these soviet tanks always burn from fuel tanks anyway.

On the other hand the KV-13 has noticeably lower ground resistance on medium soil while it's hp/ton on paper is only very slightly worse, carries more ammo, has less turret and track bloom as well as superior armor. Supposedly the KV-13 has better camo as well but the difference is slight. It also gets a little more turret traverse speed.

I guess I'm just disappointed the T-43 doesn't have better gunhandling since other tanks with similarly mediocre tier7 penetration all have better soft stats or, like the Comet with its equally poor track bloom, can fix the issue with the vert stab, and the Comet still has a more stable turret even before vert stab. Obviously the T-43 isn't A-44/T-34-1 clumsy, but I guess I don't see why it has to be so mediocre in soft stats.

Psykmoe fucked around with this message at 13:11 on Dec 10, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stephenfry
Nov 3, 2009

I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.

Tsurupettan posted:

Okay I had my first few Luchs matches and now I hope the rest of the tanks after it are just as fun and cool. Zipping around high tier matches and being an annoying little gremlin owns.

oh then I guess you didn't need this http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3516406&pagenumber=34#post453693546

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

My many CoX, always poised, always ready, always willing to thrust.

This fuckin' owns, thanks for the info.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

Psykmoe posted:

Rudy is here.

Edit: It's funny how the Rudy's gun is labeled 85mm S-53 (which has 126 pen and bad accuracy on the T-34-85, T-34-85M and as stock gun on the Type 58), and it shares the shorter barrel of the S-53, but on the Rudy it gets the stats of the 85mm D5T-85BM.

Polish Bias. I'm serious, the TV show Rudy is from is still a huge deal in Poland and when I wrote an article on tank inscriptions on FTR way back when, the comments exploded with people talking about the show and literally nothing else.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
So Wargaming put every single one of their ~one day only~ offers back up for sale until the 12th. I guess not enough people bought stuff for their liking.

http://worldoftanks.com/en/news/pc-browser/31/last-chance-reindeer-games/

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Dec 10, 2015

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Which are worth paying up for?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

MariusLecter posted:

Which are worth paying up for?

Definitely worth buying: T-34-85 Rudy, Cromwell B (simply because both are fantastic earners/trainers)
Worth owning: IS-2 (if only for the special crew)
Really depends on your play style: T-28 F30

Also keep in mind that if you're really in the market for a Russian heavy trainer, the KV-220 is going up for sale this Saturday through the 25th (along with the soon-to-be-buffed and fixed-MM KV-5), and I've always found it more comfortable to train crews in a fixed-MM T5 than it is to stick them in an regular MM T7 that'll see T9s. And be careful not to buy the T-34-85M over the Rudy.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Dec 10, 2015

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Rudy comes with a dog? Oh man, wish I could get on this deal now lol

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

MariusLecter posted:

Rudy comes with a dog? Oh man, wish I could get on this deal now lol

Not just that, but the dog takes the place of the radio operator acts as a built-in Sixth Sense indicator. It barks when you're spotted.

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Here's a post I made when the specials were originally announced, with some changes. Tanks available today and tomorrow are bolded.

quote:

Berlin Quartet, in order from best to "worst". The crews in these tanks have BiA as a 0th skill, i.e. skills train as quickly as if BiA wasn't there. If you're going to spend money during this sale, buy these!!
- Rudy: T-34-85 clone
- Cromwell B: Cromwell clone
- IS-2: Soviet IS clone with 122mm gun and Chinese IS-2 armor
- ISU-122S: SU-152 clone with the 122mm gun

Good tanks
- KV-220-2: just buffed to have more armor and slightly better acceleration
- 105 le FH18B2: most fun arty in the game
- 8,8 cm Pak 43 Jagdtiger: extremely profitable pref 8
- KV-5: armor megabuff inbound
- T14: keeping with the tradition of pref 5 heavies with trollish armor

Debateable
- T-28-F30: looks bad on paper but reports are that it's OP for its tier

Avoid
- T-34-85M: disappointing, if balanced. Buy a Rudy instead, it's cheaper and waaaay better
- BT-SV: low-tier sealclubbing is dead. Also lol @ $99.99 price
- WZ-111: a worse IS-6, with paper front armor and a garbage HEAT premium shell
- FV201 (A45): the Excelsior is better tier-for-tier and cheaper
- M56 Scorpion: garbage gun, no armor, grind a T28 HTC instead
- TOG II*: fat, slow HP piñata

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Not just that, but the dog takes the place of the radio operator acts as a built-in Sixth Sense indicator. It barks when you're spotted.

:byodood:

Steelion
Aug 2, 2009
Just gonna throw this out here: http://wotreplays.com/site/2327254#arctic_region-steelion-59-16

1600 base XP. Actual base, not zombielenin base.

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Steelion posted:

Just gonna throw this out here: http://wotreplays.com/site/2327254#arctic_region-steelion-59-16

1600 base XP. Actual base, not zombielenin base.

This is a pro watch

ELI PORTER
Sep 16, 2007

I posted on Something Awful and all I got was this lousy t-shirt
Playing light tanks and expecting your team to click the reds is a fool's errand...:negative:

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

ELI PORTER posted:

Playing light tanks and expecting your team to click the reds is a fool's errand...:negative:

Tell me about it. After around 2 weeks of trying, last night I FINALLY managed to get a team that clicks red tanks and got 3k+ spotting damage (on Lakeville, of all places). My two weeks of failure wasn't from me being unable to keep things lit.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

ELI PORTER posted:

Hellsau Spotting Lesson #1 - do not keep enemies lit. Light them, and intentionally move so the enemy gets unspotted. Wait ~5 seconds and respot.

If you keep enemies lit, your teammates will literally choose to not shoot at them since they think it will get themselves spotted back, because obviously it wasn't a scout doing all the work. If you let the enemies get unlit, your pubbies will look and wait for the enemy to get respotted and fire immediately when they can seem them. There's a reason my T71 winrate is loving atrocious - I tried spotting enemies and that is simply not useful.

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
It's too bad there are so many missions that rely on spotting damage, forcing good players to sabotage their team.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Terrorist Fistbump posted:

It's too bad there are so many missions that rely on spotting damage, forcing good players to sabotage their team.

Hellsau's Life Lesson #2 - if you want to enjoy life don't be a good player at World of Tanks.

fe: Hellsau's Life Lesson #1 - Don't play World of Tanks.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Hellsau posted:

Hellsau Spotting Lesson #1 - do not keep enemies lit. Light them, and intentionally move so the enemy gets unspotted. Wait ~5 seconds and respot.

If you keep enemies lit, your teammates will literally choose to not shoot at them since they think it will get themselves spotted back, because obviously it wasn't a scout doing all the work. If you let the enemies get unlit, your pubbies will look and wait for the enemy to get respotted and fire immediately when they can seem them. There's a reason my T71 winrate is loving atrocious - I tried spotting enemies and that is simply not useful.

More like wait until you have some blues and purples on your team before you even try to spot anything. Other players won't even move to areas where they have the possibility of clicking red tanks.

utvolsbaby
May 19, 2004
Go Big Orange
Buy the Rudy, everyone says. But I have to choose between Rudy and 8 McRib's I say.. Good choice.. Thanks Goons.

Psykmoe
Oct 28, 2008
McRibs are a permanent menu item where I live, not buying any right now is hardly an opportunity cost at all :colbert:

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
This is one of the dumbest games I've had in a while. I think everyone on both teams had their brains turned off the whole game.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

Hellsau posted:

Hellsau's Life Lesson #2 - if you want to enjoy life don't be a good player at World of Tanks.

fe: Hellsau's Life Lesson #1 - Don't play World of Tanks.

life lesson #3 - don't take life lessons from Hellsau

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Agrajag posted:

Strange, I thought that lesson #3 was "buy a Type 59" but I guess I'm remembering incorrectly.

ELI PORTER
Sep 16, 2007

ELI PORTER posted:

Corollary: Playing any tank and expecting your team to press W/left click/glance at their minimap is a fool's errand, as well.

Psykmoe
Oct 28, 2008
Also, never expect tier10s to fire more than 0-1 damaging shots - they made it to the top of the tree and no longer need to convert credits into xp via ammo. They're just there to enjoy driving their pixel tank around now.

Fat Jesus
Jul 13, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2023

so I was having a noice time playing my Rudy when I decided to clear some doubles in my light tanks, 5 losses later day ruined.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Fat Jesus posted:

so I was having a noice time playing my Rudy when I decided to clear some doubles in my light tanks, 5 losses later day ruined.

You're a dumb motherfucker please don't try to get your light tank doubles without a full platoon.

Also I need to actually correct myself for once:

Agrajag posted:

Hellsau posted:

Strange, I thought that lesson #3 was "buy a Type 59" but I guess I'm remembering incorrectly.

I'm wrong, lesson #3 isn't "buy a Type 59" because that's obviously lesson #59. My apologies for any hassle this caused any of you.

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!

Terrorist Fistbump posted:

This is one of the dumbest games I've had in a while. I think everyone on both teams had their brains turned off the whole game.

Did the other Churchill III literally not know where to shoot you?

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

BIG HEADLINE posted:

So Wargaming put every single one of their ~one day only~ offers back up for sale until the 12th. I guess not enough people bought stuff for their liking.

http://worldoftanks.com/en/news/pc-browser/31/last-chance-reindeer-games/

YESSSSS!!!! Thanks for posting this, got my T-28OP!

Steelion
Aug 2, 2009

Hellsau posted:

You're a dumb motherfucker please don't try to get your light tank doubles without a full platoon.

Hey now, platoonmates would have just stolen my XP in that game earlier :v:

ELI PORTER
Sep 16, 2007

Psykmoe posted:

Also, never expect tier10s to fire more than 0-1 damaging shots - they made it to the top of the tree and no longer need to convert credits into xp via ammo. They're just there to enjoy driving their pixel tank around now.

In this economy, it is just far too expensive to move your tank or shoot your gun I guess.

stephenfry
Nov 3, 2009

I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.

Blindeye posted:

misterts has 516 games in it http://www.noobmeter.com/player/na/misterts/1012148118/;jsessionid=F419E1BF17933554156DFEF84F56709C so

i really don't know, it's a tanks pubbie, and I'm sorry to have to use such foul language, but also a wargaming customer.

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Blindeye posted:

I don't usually like to level such accusations against my fellow World of Tankers (o7 to all those who read this) but I think the opponent who could not shoot me in the place I was exposing to shoot him in was a bot*

*(bot = "robot" in other words an autonomous software program sitting in for a human player, not "bottom" as in receiving partner in a gay sex (no homo)).

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

My many CoX, always poised, always ready, always willing to thrust.

Hellsau's list recommends the T-15 for training german crews, but I don't really like playing tanks under T4 for some reason. Is the T-25 worth playing to train crews in, or are there better options? I want to start training up crews for the lights I like.

I am trying to stop myself from buying a Cromwell B too because god I forgot how much I enjoy this game I don't even know why I quit in the first place it's so fun and I'm bad at money.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Atomizer posted:

YESSSSS!!!! Thanks for posting this, got my T-28OP!

It should be said, for anyone else, that even though the page says these things will be available until the 12th, the Premium Store page says, at the time of this post, that the T-28 F30 deal will expire in ~6h.

Tsurupettan posted:

Hellsau's list recommends the T-15 for training german crews, but I don't really like playing tanks under T4 for some reason. Is the T-25 worth playing to train crews in, or are there better options? I want to start training up crews for the lights I like.

I am trying to stop myself from buying a Cromwell B too because god I forgot how much I enjoy this game I don't even know why I quit in the first place it's so fun and I'm bad at money.

The Cromwell B is a fantastic loving tank, but it does suffer from the whole 'who gives a gently caress about UK mediums' thing.

The T-25 plays like a weird T-34 with stiff steering. I always did exceptionally well in it, even after T7 became much more broad and 'power creepy.' As for the T-15...it's an alright tank, but you honestly need to play light tanks in a platoon or it's a waste of time, and by extension, a waste of money if you've got a tank sitting in your garage that's only worthwhile if 1) people are willing to play with a T4 light tank instead of grinding higher tiers, and/or 2) keep in mind you'll be training crews for a line that currently tops out at T8, and the RU251 trains crews perfectly fine *in* the RU251.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 11:28 on Dec 11, 2015

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

BIG HEADLINE posted:

The Cromwell B is a fantastic loving tank, but it does suffer from the whole 'who gives a gently caress about UK mediums' thing.

Pretty much, yeah.
I have one crew for the Cent7 and the CentAX, both with sixth sense, where I trained the latter using the Cromwell.
Kept the Cromwell around for tier6 fun times and I have a Firefly, but I can't really see myself needing anymore UK medium crews besides that.
Maybe for the Comet, but I honestly rather play the Cromwell in that case.

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I'm telling my mommy. That pubbie doesn't do video games right!
The UK mediums always have been one of the consistently strongest lines in the game, even with the really old pre-buff 4202. T2 and t3 are unquestionably and ridiculously OP, t4 is the low point of the line but at least it has a more threatening gun than some of its peers, when it can pen, and t5 is a nice stealthy medium-like, though it isn't outstanding. T6 and t7 are easily the best mediums of their tiers, t8 is a Pershing that traded flexibility for a better gun, t9 is definitely near the top of the t9 mediums, already a very strong bunch, despite having the lowest DPM of any non-autoloader.

The Cent 7 is only really beaten at all by the AMX 30, E 50, and M46 trio, which it isn't very far behind, and it was only the recent buffs that put the M46 above it at all.

The old 4202 was the worst t10 medium and it cast a shadow on the entire line. Its playstyle was what I wanted from a medium but it just didn't have the stats to back it up. People ignored the line because the t10 wasn't competitive, though tier 3, 6, and 7 tournaments and CW were flooded with them.

I have not played the CAX enough but it fixes the flaws the 4202 had (slow speed, soft turret, no high pen premium shell) and could easily be tied for the position of best t10 medium.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

There's also Strongholds and Tourneys to keep in mind for T6, but that's a minor concern for most in this thread at the moment.

For those just waking up, as of this post there's approximately 50 minutes to pick up any of the 'Reindeer' tanks like the T-28 F30, Cromwell B, T-34-85 Rudy, and IS-2. They said they'd be available until "Saturday December 12, 03:20 PT / 06:20 ET," but the countdown on the Premium Store says 50, now 49 minutes.

Link again: http://worldoftanks.com/en/news/pc-browser/31/last-chance-reindeer-games/

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 11:30 on Dec 11, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fat Jesus
Jul 13, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2023

I'm gettin good at losing