Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
I would really like if the Colonialism CB enabled you to demand nations to gently caress off from a colonial region for the duration of the truce or 5/10 years or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Pellisworth posted:

I would really like if the Colonialism CB enabled you to demand nations to gently caress off from a colonial region for the duration of the truce or 5/10 years or whatever.

That would be awesome -and- historically accurate.

SnoochtotheNooch
Sep 22, 2012

This is what you get. For falling in Love
Question: As a Sunni nation, if I convert all of my provinces to Sunni will the Dhimmi estate/faction go away?

Edit: experimented. The answer is yes.

SnoochtotheNooch fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Dec 10, 2015

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Colonial Air Force posted:

That would be awesome -and- historically accurate.

I've been playing around in the New World and it's just really frustrating how you can beat the piss out of Spain, Portugal, or England but as soon as you peace out they fart half a dozen colonies right where you were trying to chase them out of.

It would kind of make sense, rather than just grabbing provinces for a higher warscore you should be able to deny them colonial access to a region for a period of time, that'd be cool.

Arzakon
Nov 24, 2002

"I hereby retire from Mafia"
Please turbo me if you catch me in a game.

Pellisworth posted:

I've been playing around in the New World and it's just really frustrating how you can beat the piss out of Spain, Portugal, or England but as soon as you peace out they fart half a dozen colonies right where you were trying to chase them out of.

It would kind of make sense, rather than just grabbing provinces for a higher warscore you should be able to deny them colonial access to a region for a period of time, that'd be cool.

I'm having the opposite problem as Perm. Beat England out of Canada early now I realize even running 6 colonists I might not get everything colonized in time and no one is helping. Hoping my Colonial Nations will pick up the slack with my subsidies.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Yeah constantly picking on European colonizers is a great way to swallow up a bunch of new world lands quickly. If I'm paying in Europe I pretty much always keep at least one colonizer down-but-not-out and then just pick on them every 10-15 years and steal their colonies/CNs.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

VDay posted:

Yeah constantly picking on European colonizers is a great way to swallow up a bunch of new world lands quickly. If I'm paying in Europe I pretty much always keep at least one colonizer down-but-not-out and then just pick on them every 10-15 years and steal their colonies/CNs.

This is what I like to do too, but it does weaken the blood of fatherland...Spanish culture?

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Tsyni posted:

This is what I like to do too, but it does weaken the blood of fatherland...Spanish culture?

Nobody cares what culture the filthy swamp Americans belong to as long as they pay the tarrifs.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

VDay posted:

Definitely, and you do want them to colonize for you and conquer later as you're never going to colonize it all on your own.

It's more of a pain as a New World nation, because you're probably looking at full coring cost and overextension for provinces taken, and it's a little tougher to rack up war score until you're strong enough to land troops in Europe. So you take fewer provinces than if you were a Euro (no OE, half coring cost or no coring cost if conquered province is going to one of your CNs) and despite having their navies wrecked and all their colonies occupied the Iberians will just turn and spray five new colonies each adjacent to the ones you conquered.

I dunno, I'd just like it as an option.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

VDay posted:

I'm not sure this works so well now that CNs tend to sit at 60%+ liberty desire with the new espionage ideas. Last game I was France's ally for centuries and they were huge with tons of CNs, yet the moment I beat France in a war, they all broke free :v:

But independent CNs are even easier to conquer, of course.

Elman fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Dec 10, 2015

Petanque
Apr 14, 2008

Ca va bien aller
Concerning trade fleets of light ships, how big should they be, and where should I position them in general?

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
I know the hotfix hasn't been out for long, but has it made a noticeable difference in the previously reported crashes? I have been holding off on buying the expansion due to what I've been reading in this thread, but I'm hopefully I'll be able to throw some money Paradox's way soon!

Also, on the same note, are the content packs worth buying? I know they get heavily discounted during the steam sales, but I have the itch now and haven't bought any yet.

kojei
Feb 12, 2008
Fun fact: If you turn off Terra Incognita and open up the trade panel with RNW enabled, all the old new world nodes (panama, chesapeke, etc) will be listed there. If you send a merchant, he'll head to the node but never get there, forever stuck at 0 days away. :rip: merchant, I barely knew ye

MuffinsAndPie
May 20, 2015

John Wilkes Booth posted:

Concerning trade fleets of light ships, how big should they be, and where should I position them in general?

I usually decide on the amount of light ships by first making however many transports I need which could be 0. If it's important that I dominate naval battles, I see which enemy I have who has the most heavy ships in the ledger, then doubling on that, while maybe accounting on whether they have a considerate amount of galleys. I take whatever remaining naval force-limit there is and make trade ships out of it, if it's affordable.

For positioning, I like to put them in nodes where I already have a small trade power foothold, like 25%+ and preferably it being higher value. I end up not bothering putting ships in nodes at 80%+, if it's not bleeding off too much money anyways. I usually just focus on my home port and make a trail to it using the trade map mode, and using ships to bolster any nodes as necessary.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Poil posted:

That's... exactly what I wanted. Thanks.

edit
It might do something with the small custom nation I dropped over the Iberian owned islands too since I might have left the gender settings the same when making it. A small three island Ibadi pirate nation works really nicely there in my opinion. :3:

Unfortunately they didn't make it so that a nation ruled exclusively by females can have female generals, so you're severely handicapped with regard to extra pulls on the general roulette or an easy way to kill off awful heirs.

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

Did they say they fixed fort rules? I just had an army break siege and walk from a fort, past a fort, then on to a different fort that was adjacent to another fort. How many loving forts do I need to stop these people?

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Pellisworth posted:

It's more of a pain as a New World nation, because you're probably looking at full coring cost and overextension for provinces taken, and it's a little tougher to rack up war score until you're strong enough to land troops in Europe.

I dunno, I'd just like it as an option.

Yeah fair enough, I hadn't considered how much more of a pain in the rear end it is if you're not also overseas from said colonies. A "Please kindly gently caress off from this region" option in the peace talks menu would make sense.

Jamsque
May 31, 2009
The new trust/favors/promise territory system for allies is good but it doesn't go far enough. In my Russia game I've been allied and royal marriage'd to Great Britain for more than a century. They have called me in to two colonial independence wars, which are somehow defensive wars even though the war goal is to capture a province on the opposite side of the map. Both times France was pulling the strings and immediately shipped a doom stack to London, and I had to march my armies all the way across Europe to take Paris and save the day. Later, they called me in to their overseas expansion war against Japan, conveniently close to the other end of my country so not a 'distant war' for me. Japan started occupying my western provinces so I ended up winning that war for Britain too, and reducing Japan to a OPM in the process.

Despite the fact that I have propped up their stumbling global empire for decades, there is no way I can get GB to go in on the Ottomans with me, because the Distant War penalty is insurmountable. Maxing out trust and asking them to 'prepare for war' doesn't even scratch it. Maybe let me spend 50 favors and 50 trust on a 'prepare to invade X', or let how big and terrifying Otto is mitigate some of the distance penalty or something.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Odobenidae posted:

Did they say they fixed fort rules? I just had an army break siege and walk from a fort, past a fort, then on to a different fort that was adjacent to another fort. How many loving forts do I need to stop these people?

It's not at all fixed. Armies can always move along forts, and pathing is super weird in general. This thread is a gold mine of weird poo poo in general: https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/improved-and-reworked-zoc-and-pathing.895103/

This is probably my favorite set (from page 3):

1. Starting from Hamburg, he has to detour around the fort in Lubeck to get to Wismar, which makes sense.

2. Guy moves his army to Stade, and reissues the order. Now he can move right through Lubeck.

:iiam:

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

VDay posted:

Yeah fair enough, I hadn't considered how much more of a pain in the rear end it is if you're not also overseas from said colonies. A "Please kindly gently caress off from this region" option in the peace talks menu would make sense.

The other thing that gets pretty irritating playing in the New World is how the AI ignores naval attrition, so I'll declare a colonial war on England and have loving Austria (w/o Burgundian Dutch provinces) and Poland trying to land troops in my Caribbean.

The change that locks in army/naval movement halfway through pretty much fixed the AI playing chicken with armies, but the longer travel times mean it is still extremely aggravating to hunt down enemy navies on the open ocean.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
It's always weird to declare war on Portugal and see Lavrador perform an amphibious landing in Italy.

Patrat
Feb 14, 2012

I did once see AI Ming successfully siege London after I refused to join Great Britain's offensive war and they shipped over their army in penny packets to get murdered by the Chinese 140,000 man force.

How China got past the royal navy I do not know but they landed over sixty thousand men and forced GB to release Scotland.

Frogfingers
Oct 10, 2012

Another Person posted:

Likely what is happening to the OP is that they are either not taking full advantage of fortresses, or are trying to mount a siege offensive before softening up the AI armies.

I was playing as Golden Horde (no money for advisors, let alone new forts), the first time it happened was when Kazan declared on me while I was in another war with Crimea, and the Timurids walked through their allies Uzbek, then Kazan, sieged down Astrakhan and marched as the crow flies straight for Crimea (nobody was allied to them), where all my troops were hiding.

The second time it happened was Muscovy, which I again hid all my troops in the Caucasus, they went around my forts, to the west, and went straight for my army in Circassia. And then followed them when I retreated down into Shirvan, even though nothing but my provinces bordered that. The AI just knows.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
A minor tooltip issue I noticed, the difficulty levels are labeled "None", "Player" and "AI" but the tooltip speaks of "Normal", "Easy" and "Hard". Dunno if that's recent or if it's been like that since the beginning.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
any 1.14 byz tips? Poland's retard AI just isn't cutting it anymore.

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

Average Bear posted:

are they rejecting the PU over lithuania and then getting destroyed when they inevitably attack the teutons? every run i've tried that relies on poland that's been semi-successful out of the gate has crashed and burned because of that. hell, even when they take the PU they get wrecked sometimes, lith always seems to get some random revolt at the worst time. even worse is that the ottomans have a common rival with bohemia in austria so the czechs join in with them too. what a loony update for random starts.

Sistergodiva
Jan 3, 2006

I'm like you,
I have no shame.

Average Bear posted:

Sistergodiva posted:

Ottos where rivaled to Hungary and Aragon. I manage to DoW him with Aragon when he was fighting Austria+Hungary for Genoas sake, just pure luck.

I also got total hosed when I tried my next war against him. Lost almost everything I took. I went down to -900 fortunately he stayed way longer at -2500 because I managed to take Serbia who had a lot of his provinces released by the Austrian war. Would have been a bankruptcy without Kosovo goldmine.

Took a lot of restarts.

My tips, restart until enough of Aragon, Poland, Hungary are rivaled to Ottos, if Poland is a rival you have to make sure he takes the union with Lithuania.

Improve relations with Wallachia, ally and royal marry him. Do the same thing with Circassa, while also improving with Aragon/Poland/Hungary. It's important to have the small alliances first though, since that discourages him from attacking you.

Make 3 units to get better bonus for allying people.

If you ally Poland, move your troops through Moldavia into Poland so you don't get insta killed when Ottos DoW.

I found ships to be totally useless, since you now have to siege his capital down for him to be unable to move over the straits. They can be good to get you an alliance with Aragon.

Don't royal marry first if you don't have to for an alliance, I have had Ottos declare on me before I could send the ally request after marrying.

He will be kinda hesitant to attack you when you have alliances. So just wait until you get enough favors with your allies. If someone else attacks Ottos, then you should probably pounce if it isn't some weak like QQ.

Fabricate on The Knights, Naxos and all the other islands around you. You never know when Venice explodes. Once I took Venezia itself.

When you finally fight him, be aware though, he is really loving strong, will flee behind his forts and come back with a merc army.

I lost to him allied with Poland+Lithuana and Aragon+Napels with a 4/6/4/2 general. Though it could be me being pretty bad.

Any tips for the late game? I realize I needed to use vassals more. At 1750 and I will not have time to get all of spanish and french rome back.
Anything else? It seems like I never have enough admin points and it's a real hassle to transport troops.

Sistergodiva fucked around with this message at 13:27 on Dec 10, 2015

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Patrat posted:

How China got past the royal navy I do not know but they landed over sixty thousand men and forced GB to release Scotland.

I wish you could set a fleet to 'intercept' and it would sit in your chosen zone and intercept any fleet spotted moving within X number of zones or moving up adjacent to your coast.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Kanfy posted:

A minor tooltip issue I noticed, the difficulty levels are labeled "None", "Player" and "AI" but the tooltip speaks of "Normal", "Easy" and "Hard". Dunno if that's recent or if it's been like that since the beginning.

Isn't that tooltip for the option below, "AI Difficulty"?

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Aw, the female ruler of my custom nation died, her daughter took over and the new heir turned out to be male. :sigh:

edit
It's 1492 and Portugal has somehow rolled up a 3/6/4/1 general. :stare:

Poil fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Dec 10, 2015

Sistergodiva
Jan 3, 2006

I'm like you,
I have no shame.

Poil posted:

Aw, the female ruler of my custom nation died, her daughter took over and the new heir turned out to be male. :sigh:

edit
It's 1492 and Portugal has somehow rolled up a 3/6/4/1 general. :stare:

As Byzantium I got an event that just gave me a 100 tradition general for free, maybe that's what happened to him?

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004
So there are no dev diaries until January 7th because the W-Team has been called in to pull HoI IV back from the brink of annihilation.

Wiz, please leak exclusive behind-the-scenes HoI IV content to us, your shadowy Illuminati backers, thanks.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

PleasingFungus posted:

It's just something in the localization that's backwards. I noticed the moment I jumped into the new options page, because I was trying to figure out where the ironman checkbox went. :v:

Fintilgin posted:

I wish you could set a fleet to 'intercept' and it would sit in your chosen zone and intercept any fleet spotted moving within X number of zones or moving up adjacent to your coast.

Oh god this. It would make playing a colonial power so much less lovely if I could turn over a fleet to an Admiral, and tell it 'stay in this general area, attack any fleet you think you can beat'. Basically just a way to let the AI micromanage select fleets according to the rules that already exist for the naval AI.

Nicodemus Dumps
Jan 9, 2006

Just chillin' in the sink

PittTheElder posted:

It's just something in the localization that's backwards. I noticed the moment I jumped into the new options page, because I was trying to figure out where the ironman checkbox went. :v:

Oh god this. It would make playing a colonial power so much less lovely if I could turn over a fleet to an Admiral, and tell it 'stay in this general area, attack any fleet you think you can beat'. Basically just a way to let the AI micromanage select fleets according to the rules that already exist for the naval AI.

That would be a good incentive to ever, ever hire an admiral.

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

popewiles posted:

That would be a good incentive to ever, ever hire an admiral.

No, sometimes you hire an admiral to snipe an enemy fleet, then immediately dock and fire him.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

These are Good Ideas and I 100% support implementation of both the admiral patrol thing, and of the ability to tell Castille to gently caress off out of Colonial Fartland.

e; hahaha how I'm going to do the Re-Reconquista I don't know

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
I thought of a pretty cool way to restrict AI blobbing last night. What if certain government levels focused on certain expansion? Like a duchy would only expand into their local region, kingdoms into their larger region, and empires anywhere. Aggressive dukes could target neighboring duchies, while diplomatic ones will build tall. IDK just a thought

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

PleasingFungus posted:

Nah, that one has its own.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
My allies gave my vassals occupation of territory I want... is this due to them declaring it theirs? Well I can't do that because I don't have the Cossacks. Can I get the occupation or no?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Mister Adequate posted:

These are Good Ideas and I 100% support implementation of both the admiral patrol thing, and of the ability to tell Castille to gently caress off out of Colonial Fartland.

I've often thought fleets should work more like HoI airplanes. You give them a Home Port and set them a mission and it's carried out independently. You never manually move them province to province.

So I put a large fleet in Southhampton and set it to Intercept: Aggressive and if any enemy fleets are spotted within its highlighted range it sallies out to crush them. I put small fleet of light ships in Ireland and set them to Patrol: Flee Combat the Mid-Atlantic/Bay of Biscay Region so they can spot Frenchmen for my intercept fleet. Another small fleet is set to patrol North Sea Region to watch for Ruskies. Then I set a final fleet in Cornwall to Blockade: English Channel Region, and it moves out and auto blockades all enemy ports in that region.

The current system where if you're distracted for a minute the attrition free AI fleet plops a giant army in your lands or colonial holding while your fleet naps in port is kinda exasperating.

• Locked thread