Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Do you have access to your Striker / Commando / Enforcer passives when you're a class farther in its tree?

bloodychill posted:

Join the big goon squad that seems to always be going. Last night we managed to finish 3 or 4 while I was on. I even helped by killing a bunch of crabs!

Where do you find / join these?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.

Saigyouji posted:

Apparently, you actually have to complete the mission A Challenger Approaches, which is unlocked by Prospective Partners. The Prima guide gets this right on the page for the mission itself, but not on the page for arms manufacturers.

Ah, ok thanks. On another note, I just learned that at least some of the blueprints are unlocked as random drops! Have fun searching for those.

...I just crafted a Skell weapon with a force rating of 125440. Time to go wreck Telethia's face with it. It costs 1800 fuel and takes over two minutes to recharge... But with numbers that big who cares.

Cirina fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Dec 10, 2015

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.
It's kind of a shame that the game reveals that there's a Telethia hanging around way before you actually meet it face to face.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Man, even in XCX, playing with pubbies causes catastrophe. I got a notification for a run at the world boss so I decided to join. Initially, everything seemed fine. Everyone was level 30-40 and everyone had a Skell. Better than many I'd seen previously. As soon as we spawn, the following sequence of events happen within about 2 minutes of the battle starting:

-The boss uses its most annoying rear end in a top hat form, which reflects beam and ether.
-One guy doesn't understand what's going on, doesn't get in his Skell, tries to fight the boss on foot despite seeing ALL THREE OF US in Skells and dies. Then he gets in his Skell.
-One guy was still using the level 20 Skell despite being in the high 30's. Pretty much completely uncustomized too. He gets quickly wrecked and apparently fails his eject QTE since he also then dies.
-Third guy attacks the boss with the E-Scythe and gets gibbed by the reflect damage. How does someone not notice the giant text saying BEAM AND ETHER DAMAGE REFLECTED?

Then we finally get to fight for real but of course Mr.20 Skell just dies instantly instead of getting the hell away like Mr.E-Scythe so IT'S OVER.

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.
I'm laughing pretty evilly here. Just got 12 points off of Telethia, with a team of three people. That weapon I've got takes over half of its health in one shot, and fuel wasn't an issue at all.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

PRADA SLUT posted:

Do you have access to your Striker / Commando / Enforcer passives when you're a class farther in its tree?

You mean skills? Yes

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

bloodychill posted:

Join the big goon squad that seems to always be going. Last night we managed to finish 3 or 4 while I was on. I even helped by killing a bunch of crabs!

Which one is that?

Also I bought my first lvl30 skell and gave the level 20 to Lin since she's 25. Holy poo poo it loving drifts at the slightest touch, loving annoying.

How do you tell if something has reflect abilities?

planetarial
Oct 19, 2012

PRADA SLUT posted:

Add some goons to your friends list listed in the NNID spreadsheet in the OP and join the squad most of them are on when picking friend squads

Speaking of goon squad sorry folks that I haven't been joining in coop missions, everything thats come up for me is stuff way out of my league for my level.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
08U-587 or something like that, if I remember right.

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.

Senerio posted:

It was 05U-847 but for some reason I've been getting a time out error when trying to join it, so I've been in a different squad today.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

PRADA SLUT posted:

When you first login, you can choose your squad mode. Choose the bottom option. Look at the squads everyone is in and pick the one that most people are in. It was 05U-487 for like 3 days and culminated into being like 25 goons but now that squad seems to be bugged so it's probably something else now.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
I usually pick Lifehold squads, because I don't really go out of my way to do the squad poo poo, but my general rule is "if I see an S over an enemy I could reasonably kill, I'll punch it in the face for glorious squad."

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Senerio posted:

I don't have that. dang.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

PRADA SLUT posted:

You can "equip" them at any time, even if you're in another tree. You don't have to master the original tree like you do with weapons/arts.

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014
just go to friend squads and find the one with the most people there in it.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Question for people further in the game... How many trees do you find yourself maxing? I just finished Chapter 4 and am level 18, just reached Astral Crusader and I'm enjoying that, but looking over some other weapons I kinda want to try mixing and matching Dual Guns and Photon Sabers with the Sniper and Javelin. I've got a potential Arts loadout for a few different combinations of weapons and I'd like to see how they flow in practice.

So based on how you guys are progressing, is it reasonable to max out three skill lines, or am I going to end up hitting my goal at or near the end of the game?

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
If you goof around enough, you'll max whatever trees you want. I kinda beelined Chapter 6 for the Skell, and I'm almost at max in Duelist.

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

The one thing that bugs me about Masterminds: Their TP gain is awful. Rayguns are pretty much useless for it, and knives only give 72-88 per hit. And there are so few Mediator outposts that I can't abuse the fact that Masterminds are some of the fastest art users in the game.

Tender Bender posted:

Question for people further in the game... How many trees do you find yourself maxing? I just finished Chapter 4 and am level 18, just reached Astral Crusader and I'm enjoying that, but looking over some other weapons I kinda want to try mixing and matching Dual Guns and Photon Sabers with the Sniper and Javelin. I've got a potential Arts loadout for a few different combinations of weapons and I'd like to see how they flow in practice.

So based on how you guys are progressing, is it reasonable to max out three skill lines, or am I going to end up hitting my goal at or near the end of the game?

I'm just before chapter 10 and have Mastermind maxed out and Galactic Knight at... 5? Of course, that's a little different since both those classes are in Enforcer, but it should be viable.

Saigyouji fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Dec 10, 2015

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Tender Bender posted:

Its hard to say because you can powerlevel experience with one weird skell tricks and just suffer through the main story to put a bow on everything, but class levels seem to be based on individual kills or something weirdly trickled in so that would leave you relatively dry on that front. Or you can fall down an affinity grinding hole killing underlelved stuff and getting only a little experience while your classes go up full steam ahead.

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014

Saigyouji posted:

The one thing that bugs me about Masterminds: Their TP gain is awful. Rayguns are pretty much useless for it, and knives only give 72-88 per hit. And there are so few Mediator outposts that I can't abuse the fact that Masterminds are some of the fastest art users in the game.

i'm a mediator, so if you see a dude named burn, support away.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Utnayan posted:

This is somewhat of a difficult game to get a hold of at the start, but once you understand the mechanics and how deep everything is from economics, to crafting, upgrades, leveling, combat mechanics, it is a dream come true.

I found playing with my Wii U Pro with the Gamepad to the side for mapping functions/fast travel and changing out probes is a lot better than playing strictly with the gamepad. The two work side by side which is fantastic.

The majority of my game time either is PC or PS4, and the only thing I wish Nintendo would do with their next gen console is to change the buttons to mirror PS4 and Xbox controllers. I keep hitting B thinking it is A. The same with Y and X. It's been this way for a while now, but still annoying for me.

I'm still at the stage where I can't get a hold of this game and whether I like it or not, even a week later. :(

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

I currently have one class maxed and two or three other trees at various points of completion. I keep changing my mind about what I want to do, trying to find a good melee weapon to pair up with my sniper rifle. I'll probably end up cycling all the way back to partisans by the end, but honestly there's no downside to just leveling every tree after you max out a single one. I always cringe when I see someone with a fully maxed out class online. ALL THOSE POINTS GOING TO WASTE!

Edit: Specifically I have the duelist tree line nearly maxed (at rank 4 on duelist, kinda wanted to try something besides longswords for a bit), like rank 2 or 3 in the first shield person class (wanted to check out the gatlings, put it on backburner) and am currently progressing down the Galactic Knight line, though I doubt lightsabers will stick as my melee weapon. It leaves me basically incapable of generating TP on my own, which is... Not ideal.

Infinity Gaia fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Dec 10, 2015

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002
PROUD MEMBER OF THE RAPIST DEFENSE BRIGADE! DO NOT BE MEAN TO RAPISTS, OR I WILL VOTE FOR THEM WITH EVER INCREASING VIGOR!

Ciaphas posted:

I'm still at the stage where I can't get a hold of this game and whether I like it or not, even a week later. :(

Can''t you buy it on the Eshop?

Where are you geographically?

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

What are the other class capstone skills like anyway? Mastermind gets Secondary Accelerator, which doubles the speed of secondary cooldowns, and it feels like that would be pretty hard to match.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Utnayan posted:

The majority of my game time either is PC or PS4, and the only thing I wish Nintendo would do with their next gen console is to change the buttons to mirror PS4 and Xbox controllers. I keep hitting B thinking it is A. The same with Y and X. It's been this way for a while now, but still annoying for me.

Pfff, the Nintendo YXBA layout dates back to 1991. Microsoft are the ones who decided 10 years later to use the same letters in a different layout, blame them.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Saigyouji posted:

What are the other class capstone skills like anyway? Mastermind gets Secondary Accelerator, which doubles the speed of secondary cooldowns, and it feels like that would be pretty hard to match.

Galactic Knight knocks 60% off the initial cooldown for arts used in Melee combos, which gets pretty absurd.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Should I wait until I get my Robot before I attempt Prone Sweet Prone?

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Crabtree posted:

Should I wait until I get my Robot before I attempt Prone Sweet Prone?

Yes. Otherwise you're going to find yourself getting shot in the face several dozen times.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
I'm debating swapping to personally on foot, and giving Sidheag over to either Lin or Alexa til I hit level 30 and can get myself a nice powerful Heavy Skell. Is that advisable? Semi-related: Do you get Class EXP for fighting in a Skell?

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Where do I get Alexa and why come is she so popular

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?
How do I know what the symbols in the squad tasks display mean? And why are only some monsters marked? As far as I can tell, my squad wants me to kill 6 scirpos but there's one in front of me and he doesn't have an S above him.

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Senerio posted:

I'm debating swapping to personally on foot, and giving Sidheag over to either Lin or Alexa til I hit level 30 and can get myself a nice powerful Heavy Skell. Is that advisable? Semi-related: Do you get Class EXP for fighting in a Skell?

Honestly, I'd recommend keeping the Skell for yourself simply for the mobility and the fact that, despite being a giant robot, it makes stealth much easier. For the second question, yes.

Calaveron posted:

Take the Guinea Pigs Wanted! mission from the board. Make sure you have a skell.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
What are the best Level 30 Skells?

Calaveron posted:

She has a quest in the industrial district, but I'd recommend waiting til you get a Skell to do it, because the quest is all the way on the other continent. I swam there, and even on Autorun it took 10 minutes.

I like her because I want a team of full Skell fangirls, or as close to it as I can get, so that's Alexia(me), Lin, Alexa, and Elma because she's required for the story quests.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Calaveron posted:

Affinity mission in the Outfitters Hanger in the Industrial district. Be warned though, it's actually a tough mission since it brings you to Sylvalum.

She's an anime

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Saigyouji posted:

Honestly, I'd recommend keeping the Skell for yourself simply for the mobility and the fact that, despite being a giant robot, it makes stealth much easier. For the second question, yes.

Take the Guinea Pigs Wanted! mission from the board. Make sure you have a skell.

Why would you need a skell? The entire point of the mission is you're fighting on foot... And it's really easy, too.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

Infinity Gaia posted:

Why would you need a skell? The entire point of the mission is you're fighting on foot... And it's really easy, too.

It's a really long swim. The Skell makes it faster.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Senerio posted:

It's a really long swim. The Skell makes it faster.

There is a nearly complete landbridge over there, just gotta swim a little bit to get around PRONE ISLAND midway through.

Edit: I did Hope's quest before I had a Skell and I couldn't fight anything in either Sylvalum or Cauldros. My perspective on what's easy and what's hard may be distorted.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Going to Sylvalum on foot isn't a problem if you take the peninsula and you will probably drop 1 or 2 probes and find a fast travel spot or two on the way. Not that you can't do either faster in a skell but its hardly a boring challenge if you take the time to see that there's a peninsula you can take with the faster on land sprint speed.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Where do you add people to the friends list?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Senerio posted:

What are the best Level 30 Skells?

Both the Heavies are good. Amudaias more for Melee and the other for Ranged. Amudais is also important if you want to run a melee Skell because it comes with the Beam Scythe Right Shoulder weapon which you cannot buy normally, and works loving wonders on a light/medium Melee Skell.

Inferno is great, probably the best Ranged Skell in the game. Swap out its parts for ranged damage+ ones instead of the lovely melee ones it starts with and it'll wreck worlds. Also it gets a driving mode that isn't as wobbly and lovely as the Lailah.

For Light Skells, Urban is probably the best overall as it has the best base stats and if you gear it up for melee it'll wreck poo poo. The others are decent, but the Formula definitely lags a bit.

• Locked thread