Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

No he didn't, like the part that forbids the federal government from interfering with the slave trade until 1808, the constitution bends over backwards to never explicitly acknowledge it's talking about slavery.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

VitalSigns posted:

No he didn't, like the part that forbids the federal government from interfering with the slave trade until 1808, the constitution bends over backwards to never explicitly acknowledge it's talking about slavery.

The reason for that was that the South were shitlords as much then as they ever were and were unwilling to hop on board with ratification if anyone touched their peculiar institution.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
I think I remember they at least sang a song about slavery.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?
Many of the framers held slaves but didn't like slavery, and were really hoping by 1808 the next generation of leaders would get around to abolishing slavery (so they didn't have to deal with the hassle).

That did not happen.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
OTOH, many of the framers owned slaves.

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013
So I was just reading Foster v. Chatman and what are y'all's thoughts on this? The fact that cert was granted seems pretty promising to me, in theory, considering the Georgia courts looked at evidence where the prosecutors essentially left a paper trail saying "NOPE NO BLACKS ON THE JURY THAT WOULD BE BAD" and said there was no racial motivation in striking potential jurors anyway. But I can't help but wonder "is SCOTUS a bad enough court to gut Batson?"

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Jagchosis posted:

So I was just reading Foster v. Chatman and what are y'all's thoughts on this? The fact that cert was granted seems pretty promising to me, in theory, considering the Georgia courts looked at evidence where the prosecutors essentially left a paper trail saying "NOPE NO BLACKS ON THE JURY THAT WOULD BE BAD" and said there was no racial motivation in striking potential jurors anyway. But I can't help but wonder "is SCOTUS a bad enough court to gut Batson?"

They haven't handed down a "tock" in a while so perhaps they are.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

What's a tock?

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
I'm guessing it's like a clock, and Tick is a good ruling, so we've built up a few Ticks that unfortunately need to be balanced out by a few Tocks.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

MasterSlowPoke posted:

I'm guessing it's like a clock, and Tick is a good ruling, so we've built up a few Ticks that unfortunately need to be balanced out by a few Tocks.

That's correct. I don't think it's so much considered this way in the eyes of Roberts, but more of a legacy thing for him - both the broader positive societal aspects and the specific negative dystopian ones. Uphold the PPACA, begin CPR on Jim Crow with Shelby. The marriage decision was kind of foregone, but Citizens wasn't. Glossip in exchange for Rodriguez, etc.

Hell, there's a lot of poo poo in Williams-Yulee that can be construed as apology for Citizens, even if it's framed as a narrow view regarding the perception of corruptibility with judicial elections.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!

Oracle posted:

Did you forget the whole '3/5 of a person' thing?

Wasn't this because the alternative was slave states wanted slaves to count as a full person for congressional seating purposes?

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

DeusExMachinima posted:

Wasn't this because the alternative was slave states wanted slaves to count as a full person for congressional seating purposes?

Right, which the northern states objected to it as logically inconsistent. If they weren't citizens, or even human (as the southern states claimed), then they shouldn't count at all.

The 3/5 compromise was just that, a way to break the deadlock and get on with the rest, leaving it for others to sort out later.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Alito, Breyer, Kagan, Scalia, and Thomas skip papal address to Congress

:dogbutton:

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

ZenVulgarity posted:

Alito, Breyer, Kagan, Scalia, and Thomas skip papal address to Congress

:dogbutton:

It's really only Alito, Scalia, and Thomas that surprised me. I figured they'd attend even if he is a bleeding heart Jesuit.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Rygar201 posted:

It's really only Alito, Scalia, and Thomas that surprised me. I figured they'd attend even if he is a bleeding heart Jesuit.

Yeah sure whoops he hates the DP I ain't going

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Rygar201 posted:

Hasn't Scalia made remarks in the past that indicate he may be a sedevacantist?

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

MasterSlowPoke posted:

Between the CRA being gutted (and future cases are going to finish destroying it) and Citizens United we're still owed a few ticks because those two cases alone have likely causes some severe long term damage. Alternately: We can hope that the constant poo poo-heaping the right wing is doing to Roberts over the ACA and SSM rulings will make him snap and drive him towards the center-right. Probably won't happen (especially with anything CRA related) but one can hope. Seeing Roberts end up as even a Kennedy-grade judge would be huge since we've got awhile before and conservative justices are replaced due to vacancies by natural causes or phylactery destruction.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

When was the CRA gutted? The VRA got gut shot, but I don't recall Alito saying that Whites Only restaurants were permissible again.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Rygar201 posted:

When was the CRA gutted? The VRA got gut shot, but I don't recall Alito saying that Whites Only restaurants were permissible again.

I don't recall any test cases being stovepiped by blood money but you never know which bucolic fry pit is gonna claim they were harmed by having to treat black people like human beings.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

DeusExMachinima posted:

Yes, it's about the dumbest possible argument because you can rightly counter with "Northerners didn't even think blacks were people".

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

Deteriorata posted:

Right, which the northern states objected to it as logically inconsistent. If they weren't citizens, or even human (as the southern states claimed), then they shouldn't count at all.

The 3/5 compromise was just that, a way to break the deadlock and get on with the rest, leaving it for others to sort out later.
The irony is that from an anti-slavery perspective "0/5 of a person" would have been better (as it would in turn imply fewer congressional votes for slave states)

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

DeusExMachinima posted:

Not quite the whole story. The Southern states wanted slaves to count as 0/5 of a person when direct taxes were apportioned among the states, because slaves were property not people. The North said that didn't make sense, either they were property and shouldn't count for representation or they were people and should be taxed but you can't have it both ways, so they settled on 3/5 for both questions.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Rygar201 posted:

I meant the VRA (thought IIRC Roberts isn't a fan of the CRA either).

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Anyone want to make a new thread for this session? Phone posting here so kinda hard otherwise.

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

Shoe do do do do do do do
Shoe do do do do do do yeah
Resurrecting the thread to say:

gently caress Scalia.

That is all.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

Can we talk about what a sad human being Abigail Fisher is? Christ.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Forever_Peace posted:

Resurrecting the thread to say:

gently caress Scalia.

That is all.

He got half way there by pointing out some people contend, but just didn't stick the landing. He'd really got to get back with his Fox News coach so he can properly get that question mark in there and make it clear he's just asking questions here.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Rygar201 posted:

Of course, she's a spoiled child. She's never been told no and now she's throwing a tantrum.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Rygar201 posted:

On The Media had a whole show on SCOTUS and one of the features is how clients go shopping around for the most favorable case and face for their cause. Fisher is no-poo poo focus group tested to be the perfect face for their argument.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Thwomp posted:

On The Media had a whole show on SCOTUS and one of the features is how clients go shopping around for the most favorable case and face for their cause. Fisher is no-poo poo focus group tested to be the perfect face for their argument.

They didn't focus group her very well since her high school GPA and SAT scores were poo poo.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Badger of Basra posted:

They didn't focus group her very well since her high school GPA and SAT scores were poo poo.

they focus-grouped the face

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

Thwomp posted:

A homely, uncompelling, academically mediocre ginger? I wonder why that's the winning combination

Emanuel Collective
Jan 16, 2008

by Smythe
This is how Google previews the Court's official transcript of the Fisher v. UT oral arguments. Seems appropiate

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

evilweasel posted:

they focus-grouped the face

Badger of Basra posted:

They didn't focus group her very well

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Rygar201 posted:

A homely, uncompelling, academically mediocre ginger? I wonder why that's the winning combination

Homely so people sort of assume that she's studious, reasonably attractive girl so public figures/the other side/the judge hesitate to attack her personally. Not really hard to think through what the motivations would be there. There is a reason the fact she's actually unqualified has never really gotten traction.

Emanuel Collective
Jan 16, 2008

by Smythe
Fisher, who is white, applied to the University of Texas at Austin under a program where all seniors in the top 10 percent of their class were automatically admitted. But she wasn't in the top 10 percent, so her application was considered with the rest in a holistic review process that accounted for academic achievements and extracurricular activities as well as race. Fisher wasn't accepted, though she claimed some of her minority peers with lower scores were.

She sued on the grounds that the university policy violated the Fourteenth Amendment's Equal Protection Clause, and a district court ruled in favor of the school. She appealed, and the circuit court upheld the decision, Slate reported. Then she appealed to the Supreme Court.

However, the university argued that Ms. Fisher's application would not have had a different verdict in any case. "Although one African-American and four Latino applicants with lower combined academic and personal achievement scores than Ms. Fisher’s were provisionally admitted, so were 42 white applicants whose scores were identical to or lower than hers. Similarly, 168 black and Latino students with academic and personal achievement profiles that were as good as, or better than, Ms. Fisher’s were also denied, according to the university," Elise Boddie, a law professor at Rutgers, wrote in the New York Times this week.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Oh, my God

quote:

During oral arguments on a case that may eliminate race conscious affirmative action, Justice Antonin Scalia said that “most of the black scientists in this country do not come from the most advanced schools” and added that black students do better in a “slower track.”

Scalia also said students of color are being “pushed into schools that are too advanced for them” due to race conscious affirmative action policies.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

A nice little rebuttal to that (thanks The Warszawa for alerting me):

quote:

“Reagan had asked me whether Scalia was of Italian extraction. I think he used the word ‘extraction,’ and I said, ‘Yes, he’s of Italian extraction.’ Reagan said, ‘That’s the man I want to nominate, so I want to meet him...’ The president met Scalia, and he offered Scalia the job right on the spot, in about 15 minutes, very little ceremony here. Scalia accepted on the spot.” Wallison recounted.

“I think [Reagan] felt that it would be great to put an Italian American on the Supreme Court. He had all the usual American instincts: ‘We don’t have an Italian American on the court, so we ought to have one.’ He really felt good about doing that. It wasn’t principle so much as that kind of emotional commitment.”

http://theslot.jezebel.com/crazy-how-anti-affirmative-action-justice-scalia-was-an-1747308628

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

Badger of Basra posted:

A nice little rebuttal to that (thanks The Warszawa for alerting me):

Or, you know, the APA brief that systematically tears apart this thinly veiled racism with over eighty empirical papers demonstrating that the opposite is true.

Maybe Scalia forgot that one.

I think UTs minority graduation rate is like 90th percentile or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

Emanuel Collective posted:

However, the university argued that Ms. Fisher's application would not have had a different verdict in any case. "Although one African-American and four Latino applicants with lower combined academic and personal achievement scores than Ms. Fisher’s were provisionally admitted, so were 42 white applicants whose scores were identical to or lower than hers. Similarly, 168 black and Latino students with academic and personal achievement profiles that were as good as, or better than, Ms. Fisher’s were also denied, according to the university," Elise Boddie, a law professor at Rutgers, wrote in the New York Times this week.
To be fair, it's a bit hard to argue that "race is a component of our admissions decision to fulfill diversity goals" and also simultaneously claim that there are zero marginal people who are affected by it. If you're capping the number of students you admit, then there has to be someone on the losing end somewhere.

Ruling Fisher wouldn't have been admitted anyway is a bit like going after the standing of the people suing the NSA. Surely someone was affected, and the court ruling on the standing instead of the arguments is basically refusing to make a hard decision and letting the status quo win by default.