Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

Courage, my friends; 'tis not too late to build a better world.

PT6A posted:

Most of those I can't walk to, and I only got food poisoning from Great Canadian when I ate a slice that I bought and consumed in their restaurant. I have never given myself food poisoning in my own home.

EDIT: And you forgot Pulcinella, which has great pizza, but isn't really suitable for delivery.

Calgary pizza foodchat: It's decidedly not European-style, but I love the pizza at Michael's downtown.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Just tell me where I can find a quality club sandwich.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

El Scotch posted:

Just tell me where I can find a quality club sandwich.

Personally, I like the one at the Upper Deck. The fries could be better though.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
In cs you need to feel warm and fuzzy today

(Just don't read the comments)

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

To add to this, here's a story about some laid-off Calgarian workers talking about helping refugees even as they're unemployed.

http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/canada/calgary/calgary-syrian-refugees-warm-welcome-1.3358845

Turns out there are better options than suicide after all!

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

I read the comments :barf:

Can you encourage JT to do more magazine covers like Vogue? It seems to make people extra angry

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Thanks, this is good to read today :) Online article comments should be disabled nationwide, I'll vote for whoever campaigns on this.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

CLAM DOWN posted:

Thanks, this is good to read today :) Online article comments should be disabled nationwide, I'll vote for whoever campaigns on this.

I also recommend: http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/tuscany-lrt-graffiti-scrubbed-replaced-messages-love-1.3350559

And definitely don't read the comments....

Martian Manfucker
Dec 27, 2012

misandry is real
CAMHS is the only mental health care provider in my area (rural southern Ontario) and they have been really good to me for the most part aside from problems that I can only attribute to being understaffed and underfunded. I have no money so aside from being the only provider in my area, they are the only provider I can afford.

I do know that some of the employees at the centre I go to are contracted from St. Joseph's in Hamilton so maybe that's why they're so good, I don't know.

I had no idea they had such an awful track record though and now I feel awful for not knowing and using their services now. Welp.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!

Arivia posted:

I'm not hopeful. Nothing's changed in the Senate, so Don Plett will just turn it into a mockery and kill it again.

Is there precedent for an opposition-packed Senate rejecting legislation?

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

:bahgawd: "These people look fed and aren't clad in rags clearly they are fake refugees and weren't in imminent danger" :bahgawd:

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

The Dark One posted:

Harper's senate appointees killed a climate change bill passed by a majority of NDPers and Liberals back when the Conservatives only mad a minority. At the time it was considered unprecedented for a party with a minority of seats in the lower chamber to kill a bill using their majority in the senate.

Under Mulroney a Liberal dominated senate essentially forced an election over the issue of Free Trade. It's probably the last time Canadians were presented with a truly consequential choice at the ballot box, though our first-past-the-post electoral system meant that it only took about four in six ten voters to hand Mulroney another majority.

edit - cause I'm a little bit dyslexic

Helsing fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Dec 10, 2015

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Ugh, someone at work I liked and respected just casually mentioned that "Trump really has the right idea about refugees and terrorists, I like that guy a lot" :(

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
4 in 6 is a fairly significant majority I would say.

nozh posted:

CAMHS is the only mental health care provider in my area (rural southern Ontario) and they have been really good to me for the most part aside from problems that I can only attribute to being understaffed and underfunded. I have no money so aside from being the only provider in my area, they are the only provider I can afford.

I do know that some of the employees at the centre I go to are contracted from St. Joseph's in Hamilton so maybe that's why they're so good, I don't know.

I had no idea they had such an awful track record though and now I feel awful for not knowing and using their services now. Welp.
Organizations can have bad policies and beliefs and still do good. As long as there is pressure and a will to change in a positive direction you're generally better off building on their success than tearing it all down and trying to start over.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

CLAM DOWN posted:

Ugh, someone at work I liked and respected just casually mentioned that "Trump really has the right idea about refugees and terrorists, I like that guy a lot" :(

Yeah a person I really like and respect just turned down a really great chance to move to Germany because it's only a matter of years before the muslims take over and fully destroy the country (which is already crippled with handouts to muslims and muslims can't be jailed for crimes there because if you even accuse a muslim of a crime the media calls you a racist)

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

The Dark One posted:

I don't know, but they weren't rejecting it before the election, either. What did happen was Conservative senator Don Plett pushed a ton of "bathroom bill" amendments: basically policing trans people's use of washrooms and so on, to the point where passing it would make trans rights in Canada worse. It got really bad, so people were actually glad it got killed with the election.

Now, there's no change in Senate numbers, and nothing to stop Plett from doing the exact same thing again. (The same bill passed the House originally with no amendments too.)

@Nozh: Don't feel bad. As far as I know, CAMH generally does good work with addiction and most mental health issues. Trans care has just been their terrible dark secret for decades. It's why the Ontario government picked them as the central hub for trans services in the province, and why other health care professionals felt good about making referrals there: they're a quality institution that does great work in mental health across a wide range of specialties, it fits. No one just ever paid attention to them not following the international standards of care, etc etc.

Baudin
Dec 31, 2009

THC posted:

I would love for "progressive" to become a derogatory term for corrupt liberals like Obama and Wynne. But it won't happen as long as people keep slapping the label onto anything they agree with, from urban guerrilla gardening to Mark Zuckerberg's latest tax dodge.

I'm catching up on the thread again, but I'd like to point out that foundation isn't a charity. It's not a tax dodge.

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica
I like to imagine that you people really are like you post and if someone has a single opinion that's not the same as yours, you tell them you can't be friends anymore, welp sorry Jim, it was going good but you don't meet the requirements anymore, it's a shame really as I was looking forward to that potluck.

As for Calgary food chat Michael's pizza or without papers are my favourites.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

^^^ I can't tell, are you an ironic troll like CI or not

Baronjutter posted:

Yeah a person I really like and respect just turned down a really great chance to move to Germany because it's only a matter of years before the muslims take over and fully destroy the country (which is already crippled with handouts to muslims and muslims can't be jailed for crimes there because if you even accuse a muslim of a crime the media calls you a racist)

Jesus

Yeah, I loving hate this, because how can I continue to respect someone who surprise, after all these years, is actually a loving bigot :(

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Do it ironically posted:

I like to imagine that you people really are like you post and if someone has a single opinion that's not the same as yours, you tell them you can't be friends anymore, welp sorry Jim, it was going good but you don't meet the requirements anymore, it's a shame really as I was looking forward to that potluck.

As for Calgary food chat Michael's pizza or without papers are my favourites.

I have, in fact, lost a really close friendship over racism because I was unwilling to let it slide or ignore it.

And Id do it again if I had to. I think that makes me a better person.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Baronjutter posted:

"...and Merkel and a muslim were in the closet making babies, and I saw the baby, and the baby looked at me!"

Life is much more tolerable if you realize that the average person is basically a grown version of Ralph Wiggum.

Do it ironically posted:

There's a pretty big gap between "disagrees with me on a single thing" and "is a giant loving bigot."

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Yeah no if someone outs himself as a flagrant racist then I don't respect or voluntarily associate with that person anymore, generally. Luckily there's lots of other people out there who aren't terrible.

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

CLAM DOWN posted:

My father has said that several times now, and it's like I knew he was racist but I didn't know he was really racist.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

CLAM DOWN posted:

If you're talking about me, I was being ironic.

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica
So you people just not talk to them anymore as in saying like, hey bud what's with the racism or anything, is it too hard to do? How do you function at your job if you can't even talk about something like that? It could be some simple dumb poo poo that they don't see the perspective on

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

Do it ironically posted:

So you people just not talk to them anymore as in saying like, hey bud what's with the racism or anything, is it too hard to do? How do you function at your job if you can't even talk about something like that? It could be some simple dumb poo poo that they don't see the perspective on
Yo, retard, no one ever said any of this poo poo. They just said that they were disappointed because someone they respected said some disrespectful poo poo.

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica
wow using the word retard, you sure got me! Good job bud :rolleyes:

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Look at all you wide eyed fluffy tailed morons acting like Canadians aren't fygm assholes

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Cultural Imperial posted:

Look at all you wide eyed fluffy tailed morons acting like Canadians aren't fygm assholes

The vast majority arent. Gullible, willfully ignorant, dense, optimistic to a fault, and sheltered on the other hand...

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

Do it ironically posted:

wow using the word retard, you sure got me! Good job bud :rolleyes:
No one cares about your lovely concern trolling strawman.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Canada's inferiority complex again

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

The comments on this one are actually not bad for the majority

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

This reminds me of the time there were front page headlines about the Simpson's coming to Canada for like 2 minutes at the end of a single episode.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

This is literally what has happened tho?

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
It's laughably pathetic to watch canadians desperately try to manufacture a mania over Trudeau part 2. Give it up you retards you're embarassing yourselves

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

God drat, this is almost as enjoyable as the pissing and moaning we'd have had if the NDP swept to power.

Can't argue that we are indeed lame as hell.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes
Gonna move this puppy into canpol.

Furnaceface posted:

Patrick Brown was trained by Hudak personally to take over and I cant believe how willfully ignorant you are of the platforms they run on. Tough on Crime bullshit, cuts to healthcare, gutting of the public sector in all the wrong places (never of the useless cushy overpaid upper management positions created to funnel unqualified friends into), right-to-work legislature/union busting, tax cuts for wealthy business owners (I know this one applies to you personally so I get why you like it), the list loving goes on and on.

Hudak also had plans to sell off Hydro One, but it was to be done behind closed doors. He also wanted to sell off the LCBO. Two things you constantly rag on the OLP solely for suggesting and doing. If you think Brown, a man who idolizes such political figures as Mulroney/Thatcher/Harper, will be any different then I think its clear that your hatred of Wynne surpasses common sense and I sure hope that you are in the minority.

Are you sure man? I remember him being pretty against LHINs and CCAC bureaucracies.

quote:

The 14 Local Health Integration Networks set up by the Liberals, as well as the Tory-created Community Care Access Centres, aren't working and haven't been able to hit most of their targets, said Opposition Leader Tim Hudak.

The province should get rid of them, along with 2,000 "middle managers," and use that money to hire more doctors and nurses, he said.

Regarding corporate income tax rates, well that's probably the one thing you've never heard me bash the OLP about.

Hudak did talk publicly about selling off 49% of Hydro One. I'd prefer that to the politician who didn't talk about it and then turned around to sell off 60%.

Hudak also called the panam games pretty early on

quote:

"With less than four years until the opening of the Games there has been no progress on site selection, let alone construction of venues," Hudak wrote.

McGuinty countered Hudak's characterization of the Games' progress, adding that Infrastructure Ontario has a 99 per cent success rate in completing projects on time and on budget.

"I'm very confident in our ability to deliver them on time and on budget," McGuinty said after a campaign event at the Hospital for Sick Children in Toronto.

The Ontario Liberals said there is a $45-million emergency fund already built into the $1.4-billion Pan Am budget.

quote:

The Pan Am and Parapan Am Games held in Toronto this summer came within the $2.4-billion budget, officials said Thursday, which means organizers are eligible for lucrative performance bonuses laid out in their contracts.

Personally, I dislike Hudak more than Wynne. The guy is a buffoon who turned an easy win into losing a majority but your rant was a little too revisionist. I do think Patrick Brown will run a different campaign, he's managed not to put his foot in his mouth about the refugees so far anyways. 2.5 more years until I get to hear $8 million more worth of union ads about how conservatives are the devil.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
hahahah there's no loving way that poo poo came in under budget

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Cultural Imperial posted:

hahahah there's no loving way that poo poo came in under budget

I think that's the point. The budget was originally 1.4 billion, it ballooned over it and suddenly "OH WAIT IT'S NOW 2.4 BILLION YOU ALL STILL GET YOUR BONUSES".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

Brian Bowman is too good for Winnipeg