Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Subjunctive posted:

do people really think that is from the contract?
There are people who think that Earth is flat, so probably, yes

Actual schadenfreude

wolrah posted:

Not a dashcam, but a roadside camera is close enough right?

Cyclist decides he's had enough of just ignoring stop signs, wants to go bigger. It's a bold strategy, let's see if it pays off for him:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1EWfUKqEGiU

Internets say he lived but I have no hard sources on that so maybe :nms:.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo
"Just finished sorting my magic collection"

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Subjunctive posted:

do people really think that is from the contract?

It's the Wu Tang Clan we're talking about, I could see them doing something like that.

Whether or not it's legally enforceable is another thing, but I could see them doing it.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Going back to that chickenpox outbreak, Kids usually aren't given a chickenpox vaccination unless they have some kind of health condition that would make it dangerous for them to have it.

What is bad though is that anti vaccination isn't an "opinion", it's factually and scientifically wrong and people describing it as anion are dipshit retards.

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat

chitoryu12 posted:

I got it at 15, and it was awful. I ended up missing a week of school and covered in lesions, feeling like I had the flu. I still remember the dose of horror I got in the early morning, stumbling into my bathroom and getting the first glimpse of my face as I tried to shower for school. The only good news that came out of it is that it occurred when GTA IV came out and I had pre-ordered it, so I at least had something to do while I was gone. I still have two scars (one of which is a crater in the side of my nose) from lesions that I ended up rubbing off.

quote:

when GTA IV came out

God drat. I got chicken pox when MYST was a thing and played it through the week I was home from school. :corsair:

Has anyone else heard it said that the second kid in the family to get it, gets it worse? I got it first from a kid at school and had a grand total of maybe ten spots; my sister (3 years younger) got it a week later and was totally covered including inside her mouth.

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)

Sex Hobbit posted:

God drat. I got chicken pox when MYST was a thing and played it through the week I was home from school. :corsair:

Has anyone else heard it said that the second kid in the family to get it, gets it worse? I got it first from a kid at school and had a grand total of maybe ten spots; my sister (3 years younger) got it a week later and was totally covered including inside her mouth.

My sister and I got it days apart (I got it from someone during summer camp). I was 11, she was 4. It was about the same as both of us. We just treated it with Caladryl lotion and oatmeal baths.

My father on the other hand treated us like we had the goddamn plague and we actually had to stay at our godmother's apartment for a week. He never had the pox and was worried that he'd get it really bad at 45.

Your sister probably didn't have a worse reaction because she was second, she probably had it worse because she was younger and had a less developed immune system.

Rick_Hunter has a new favorite as of 09:13 on Dec 10, 2015

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Sex Hobbit posted:

I had chicken pox and whooping cough back in the 70s. I'm revoking your :corsair: privileges.

Back in those days our cars and our home consoles both had faux wood siding

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Drone_Fragger posted:

Going back to that chickenpox outbreak, Kids usually aren't given a chickenpox vaccination unless they have some kind of health condition that would make it dangerous for them to have it.

That's untrue -- in order to protect children who are particularly vulnerable, 90%+ need to be vaccinated to establish herd immunity. If you read the original article:

quote:

The school has a lower immunisation rate than the state and national averages.

In the May newsletter, the school's principal Trevor Bowen said 73.2 per cent of students were immunised, compared with 92 per cent within the local postcode.

In Victoria, the rate is 90.4 per cent, the newsletter says.
Monash Children's Hospital head of infection and immunity Jim Buttery said children who were immunised could still contract chickenpox but do not end up with as many spots as those who did not receive the vaccine.

He said the chickenpox vaccine had a 80 per cent success rate and that if a child still comes down with the disease, they will end up with about 25 spots. However, a child without the vaccine will end up with 800.

Chickenpox is highly contagious and anyone who comes down with the condition will infect another seven to nine people, Dr Buttery said. For herd immunity to kick in, he said about 90 per cent of children need to be immunised.

Coming down with Chicken pox isn't trivial -- nothing particularly bad may happen to you the first time, but it hangs around in the body and means you can develop shingles later in life, which is very dangerous.

So this school says they want to be tolerant of people who don't want to vaccinate their children, and then end up with a large number of unvaccinated children making this kind of problem very very likely. If I had a child at that school who had issues with their immune system, I'd be furious.

I heart bacon
Nov 18, 2007

:burger: It's burgin' time! :burger:

Wanamingo posted:

They're protective about it, but that's more out of sheer greed rather than any worry about spending away their fortune. Once you get to that level of wealth, it's a challenge in and of itself to give it away faster than it accumulates. Jon Huntsman Sr. Has a net worth of around $1 billion, and throughout his life he's given almost twice that to charity. Whenever his cash reserves dry up he just starts borrowing money so he can give it away, because he knows he doesn't have to do anything to get it back. He's even vowed to die broke, but in spite of that, he's still going strong.

The normal rules concerning money that you or I have to follow do not apply to the global elite.

Good point. One thing I hear around here is about farmers and tax deferments. I don't really know how that works. A few years ago when corn prices were sky high, they made tons of money. Then they bitched because they didn't know what to do with it. A lot of them bought new trucks and things like tractors and combines. Not uncommon to see a bunch of brand new ford stuper duty trucks with farm plates on them. Anyways, just an anecdote, not real evidence.

That dude at that train. That's Darwin Award material. Holy crap.

Sing like a girl
Aug 8, 2011

Teddybear posted:

This is very much not how taxes work in the United States or, I would reckon, any English-speaking country. Your friend was using that as an excuse to skip buying rounds by blaming taxes.

I can give a good example of where earnings (or rather, takings, but it translates to earnings) brackets very much matter.

In the UK sales tax (VAT) is 20%. If you are a sole trader you can have takings of up to $95k equivalent a year before you have to charge that to customers. So of your profit margin is high you can quite easily live comfortably on that.

If it goes over $95k equivalent you have to charge it to customers. It's a significant increase. So many self employed people are kept in a system where they are not able to expand their business, because it quite often would destroy it.

If you're above the $95k margin you don't pay sales tax on your purchases for the business, but again, if your profit margin is high that's not going to be much of a saving vs having to charge 20% on total sales price to customers.

Not only are people prevented from expansion, but all people earning above this margin have to compete with millions of people below it who are selling on the Internet.

The government see the VAT exemption as help towards small businesses. It's really not, because think about it - if everyone had to charge the (extortionate, immoral, tax on the poor etc etc) to their customers, they wouldn't have to worry about their business getting successful. Nor would startups with a few employees be throttled by having to compete with sole traders on eBay et al.

And that is the story of why I left the UK when I had the option to.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Retro Access posted:

I can give a good example of where earnings (or rather, takings, but it translates to earnings) brackets very much matter.

In the UK sales tax (VAT) is 20%. If you are a sole trader you can have takings of up to $95k equivalent a year before you have to charge that to customers. So of your profit margin is high you can quite easily live comfortably on that.

If it goes over $95k equivalent you have to charge it to customers. It's a significant increase. So many self employed people are kept in a system where they are not able to expand their business, because it quite often would destroy it.

If you're above the $95k margin you don't pay sales tax on your purchases for the business, but again, if your profit margin is high that's not going to be much of a saving vs having to charge 20% on total sales price to customers.

Not only are people prevented from expansion, but all people earning above this margin have to compete with millions of people below it who are selling on the Internet.

The government see the VAT exemption as help towards small businesses. It's really not, because think about it - if everyone had to charge the (extortionate, immoral, tax on the poor etc etc) to their customers, they wouldn't have to worry about their business getting successful. Nor would startups with a few employees be throttled by having to compete with sole traders on eBay et al.

And that is the story of why I left the UK when I had the option to.

That's half the story though and fairly misleading. You have to charge VAT on your consumer sales (Not B2B unless the person you're selling to is not VAT registered) but you can also at that point reclaim all the VAT that you pay as well. So if you're not VAT registered then you pay VAT on your rent, all your raw materials etc. As soon as you register you get to reclaim all the VAT on those costs so it's no where near as much of a problem as you make it out to be. That's why you can register voluntarily, and many people do.

As a director of a small business in the UK registering for VAT was one of the first things we did, paying 20% less rent each month when you're not yet in profit is a massive difference.

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Jesus Christ if I wanted to give a poo poo about taxes I'd consider paying them for once.

Apogee15
Jun 16, 2013

DontMockMySmock posted:

No, it doesn't. If you make more money before tax, you make more money after tax.

It doesn't work that way with taxes and takehome pay, but it can work that way if you consider benefits(ie a raise could make you no longer eligible for medicaid, costing you more in healthcare costs than the additional amount you earn from the raise).

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
My wife would fit right in to tax-talk on this thread.

She was complaining because now we make enough money that she doesn't qualify for financial aid for her 2nd bachelors degree. I tried not to lose my temper as I explained how nice it was to not eat ramen and sleep on the floor like we did when we were freshmen, and maybe paying out of pocket for school was a small price to pay for financial stability.

She's going to be a Republican in 20 years, and then I'll be posting on this thread about my Tea Party wife.

Suzuran
Sep 14, 2012
The schadenfreude is on the people who live under this jurisdiction: http://www.roanoke-chowannewsherald.com/2015/12/08/woodland-rejects-solar-farm/

"He said the solar farms would suck up all the energy from the sun and businesses would not come to Woodland."
"The council later voted for a moratorium on future solar farms."

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Jesus, kid, you're almost a detective. All you need now is a gun, a gut, and three ex-wives.

Suzuran posted:

The schadenfreude is on the people who live under this jurisdiction: http://www.roanoke-chowannewsherald.com/2015/12/08/woodland-rejects-solar-farm/

"He said the solar farms would suck up all the energy from the sun and businesses would not come to Woodland."

Holy poo poo this article is full of gems.

quote:

Jane Mann said she is a local native and is concerned about the plants that make the community beautiful.

She is a retired Northampton science teacher and is concerned that photosynthesis, which depends upon sunlight, would not happen and would keep the plants from growing. She said she has observed areas near solar panels where the plants are brown and dead because they did not get enough sunlight.

She also questioned the high number of cancer deaths in the area, saying no one could tell her that solar panels didn’t cause cancer.

a loving science teacher....

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

Stellar.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes

Suzuran posted:

This is a parody article, right? Like The Onion?

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Dunno you guys, I went to the beach one time and there were tons of people tanning themselves and I immediately died from Vitamin-D deficiency.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Those loving bleeding heart do-gooder Greenies. First they used up all the sunlight and now they going to use up all the wind!

quote:

Kate Sheppard reported today on some recent [Rep. Joe Barton (R-Texas)] comments about climate change and wind power.

"Wind is God's way of balancing heat. Wind is the way you shift heat from areas where it's hotter to areas where it's cooler. That's what wind is. Wouldn't it be ironic if in the interest of global warming we mandated massive switches to energy, which is a finite resource, which slows the winds down, which causes the temperature to go up? Now, I'm not saying that's going to happen, Mr. Chairman, but that is definitely something on the massive scale. I mean, it does make some sense. You stop something, you can't transfer that heat, and the heat goes up. It's just something to think about."
http://www.washingtonmonthly.com/archives/individual/2009_09/020014.php

computer angel
Sep 9, 2008

Make it a double.

The boss had a heart attack watching the whole incident. Brutal.

Marius Pontmercy
Apr 2, 2007

Liberte
Egalite
Beyonce

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Those loving bleeding heart do-gooder Greenies. First they used up all the sunlight and now they going to use up all the wind!

Gonna send this to someone who has a Master's in Thermodynamics.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠

Cosima posted:

The boss had a heart attack watching the whole incident. Brutal.

Not really seeing the part that we should be getting enjoyment out of.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Anora posted:

The sexual thrill.

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

Anora posted:

An old lady slipped in the bloody remains.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Anora posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yce9umf5GR8

CaptBushido
Mar 24, 2004

a lot of people ITT seem to think the Wu Tang Clan is something to gently caress with.

I strongly disagree.

Hydrocodone
Sep 26, 2007

CaptBushido posted:

a lot of people ITT seem to think the Wu Tang Clan is something to gently caress with.

I strongly disagree.

:perfect:

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Now that's what soccer should look like all the time.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
CUP CHECK!!!

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Scarf posted:

CUP CHECK!!!

The flag coming in at the end because you're not allowed to have fun in the NFL anymore is perfect.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Suzuran posted:

Jesus loving Christ.

It makes me feel so much better about my own education. My biology and physics teachers were dicks, but if you tried to float the theory that "solar panels suck up all the sun's energy" to them, they would probably physically assault you in a fit of rage.

Fritz Coldcockin has a new favorite as of 20:06 on Dec 10, 2015

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Solice Kirsk posted:

New sport: Full contact Soccarate

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

God, I love Rocket League.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

I saw an article not too long ago where they tried to calculate how many wind farms it would take to actually change the climate to any appreciable degree. Safe to say, we have no worries about building as many as it would take.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

Solice Kirsk posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ltYggxP7wC8

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Adbot