Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

GI_Clutch posted:

It's amazing how dumbed down players and MMOs are these days. My first MMO was DAoC. There was no in game map. Horses in cities had specific destinations and you had to jump off mid travel to run to another town to get on another horse to your actual destination. Oh, you want to know what stats a piece of gear has? Right-click it, so a window appears with some basic info. Then hit Shift+I to get another window with detailed information. I played for months without knowing how to do that.

Sounds fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

If I had to describe Guild Wars 2 in two words, I'd say "wasted potential".

Elaborating a bit more, I'd probably say it's still a fairly good game, but... the emphasis is still on wasted potential.

Personally, I would've been fine with GW 1.5 with all the things that were so fun in GW1 with GW2 engine. But it seems like the current devs want to be as far as possible from GW1 and want to do something totally different. Which is fair, I guess, but it's also making GBS threads on the series and what pulled people in the first place.

reitetsu
Sep 27, 2009

Should you find yourself here one day... In accordance with your crimes, you can rest assured I will give you the treatment you deserve.

CLAM DOWN posted:

"Dumbed down" is a terrible way to put it. I play videogames like GW2 to relax/blow off stress, turn off my brain, and not think excessively. Just because I enjoy things like hearts "holding my hand" or telling me where to go/what do do, doesn't mean I'm some kind of idiot who needs a dumbed down game.

Same here. The main reason I'm just getting into fractals and stuff is because I like running around dicking with alts. Hearts would have been nice for the Maguuma mastery stuff, considering how many drat levels there are of them. Or maybe there's an easier way to get that exp that I don't know of? Map completion has been working very well for me for Tyria mastery, doubly so because I barely started on my warrior.

GI_Clutch
Aug 22, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Dinosaur Gum

Oh, it definitely was a pain in the rear end. I'm not saying I want those aspects back. I just think that over time games (of all genres) have gotten so hand-holdy that players expect it. You accept a quest in a Bethesda game and it tells you exactly what to do. There's an icon on the map of the person you need to talk to that moves around as that character does. If they changed that to a general circle on the map tell you the vicinity of the character, people would complain and just resort to GameFAQs instead of trying to find the person themselves.

I have no problem with hearts existing. I just found the notion of people going into a game that totes not having standard quests/quest hubs and then feeling totally lost because the game isn't telling them what to do/where to go funny. If you don't know where you are supposed to go, just start exploring. That's what was done back in the day before NCPs had exclamation points over their head. You explored and found the content.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

GI_Clutch posted:

Oh, it definitely was a pain in the rear end. I'm not saying I want those aspects back. I just think that over time games (of all genres) have gotten so hand-holdy that players expect it. You accept a quest in a Bethesda game and it tells you exactly what to do. There's an icon on the map of the person you need to talk to that moves around as that character does. If they changed that to a general circle on the map tell you the vicinity of the character, people would complain and just resort to GameFAQs instead of trying to find the person themselves.

I have no problem with hearts existing. I just found the notion of people going into a game that notes not having standard quests/quest hubs and then feeling totally lost because the game isn't telling them what to do/where to go funny. If you don't know where you are supposed to go, just start exploring. That's what was done back in the day before NCPs had exclamation points over their head. You explored and found the content.

If a game doesn't give me any clues or hints on where to go, or doesn't push me in a certain direction (like hearts did, leading me from area to area), I'm not going to bother. That doesn't make me an idiot or dumb or somehow needy. It's a videogame.

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

I prefer having/knowing my objective because I don't find aimless wandering fun, just tedious. I don't want to run around for half an hour looking for something to do.

Like, I understand the feel of "Hrm, what's in these woods? ... Jinkies, a wolfbearbird that needs to be killed!", but then there's "Hrm what's in these woods? ... Trees, neat."

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

mind the walrus posted:

3 years of incessant bitching about hearts

this is a thread post about both the past and the future

Adhesive Gamin
Sep 29, 2010

Meatoberfest is in full swing.
I didn't know that there was anyone who didn't like the renown hearts that wasn't on their third world completion, or just running around desperately with the goalposts strapped to their back, yelling about god drat casual gamers these days.

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007

Adhesive Gamin posted:

I didn't know that there was anyone who didn't like the renown hearts that wasn't on their third world completion, or just running around desperately with the goalposts strapped to their back, yelling about god drat casual gamers these days.

Where do you get the goalposts backpack?

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

ItBurns posted:

You have to get scribe to 500.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

the secret world does the 'your objective is inside of this circle on the map and we're not going to pinpoint exactly where it is' thing and it was actually really fun. it let them guide the players to specific areas but once they got there it was up to them to puzzle out the rest. your goal is to turn off a bunch of security cameras? use your head and think about where cameras might be put. the mission design in that game is some of the best i've ever played with.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Main reason I think the story feels better is they ditched those dumb two person low effort cutscenes and instead you either get in-engine cutscenes with the effects cranked up to 11 that look rather nice or moving painting cutscenes which look really nice.

That and your character does some talking now while you still have full control.

Erdricks
Sep 8, 2005

There's nothing refreshing like a sauna!

Azazell0 posted:

If I had to describe Guild Wars 2 in two words, I'd say "wasted potential".

Elaborating a bit more, I'd probably say it's still a fairly good game, but... the emphasis is still on wasted potential.

Personally, I would've been fine with GW 1.5 with all the things that were so fun in GW1 with GW2 engine. But it seems like the current devs want to be as far as possible from GW1 and want to do something totally different. Which is fair, I guess, but it's also making GBS threads on the series and what pulled people in the first place.

GW 2 runs on the GW1 engine. It's a reworked version of utopia.

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Main reason I think the story feels better is they ditched those dumb two person low effort cutscenes and instead you either get in-engine cutscenes that look rather nice or moving painting cutscenes which look really nice.

That and your character does some talking now while you still have full control.

Also your stupid "friends" mostly just speak to move the plot along instead of talking about dumb bullshit. Mostly. Seriously shut the gently caress up Taimi, you're useless without your robot.

Adhesive Gamin
Sep 29, 2010

ItBurns posted:

You don't, I do.

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007

Adhesive Gamin posted:

You don't, I do.

I have numerous rare backpacks, my good man.

You must be mistaking me for one of those *waves cane in the general direction of the thread* casuals.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

CLAM DOWN posted:

If a game doesn't give me any clues or hints on where to go, or doesn't push me in a certain direction (like hearts did, leading me from area to area), I'm not going to bother. That doesn't make me an idiot or dumb or somehow needy. It's a videogame.

Yeah, there's really no way around it that games have to give you some idea of where to go to do the thing. I personally dig it when a game drops the whole quest marker thing and just has really well-designed areas where you can use landmarks to get around based on verbal directions and your own memory, but that takes a shitload of effort and skill to design, so a lot of games just go for quest markers.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Harrow posted:

I personally dig it when a game drops the whole quest marker thing and just has really well-designed areas where you can use landmarks to get around based on verbal directions and your own memory

We sorta got that, minus the well designed area part.

It's called Tangled Depths.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Hah, yeah, that's the problem, isn't it? You drop the "well-designed" part and it's immediately a total clusterfuck.

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

It was kind of annoying in that one HoT bridging mission where you're following the rest of the party, where you have a radar showing how close you are to the signs Rox left and there's a clear arrow made of rocks that looks conspicuous but nope, it's the featureless ground twenty feet away you need to spam F on to progress. It meant I searched everywhere but the same rock arrow for the last sign since it clearly wasn't what I needed to find, only this time it was. Thanks Rox.

Yuwe
Apr 6, 2009

Illuyankas posted:

It was kind of annoying in that one HoT bridging mission where you're following the rest of the party, where you have a radar showing how close you are to the signs Rox left and there's a clear arrow made of rocks that looks conspicuous but nope, it's the featureless ground twenty feet away you need to spam F on to progress. It meant I searched everywhere but the same rock arrow for the last sign since it clearly wasn't what I needed to find, only this time it was. Thanks Rox.

Oh hey I was just doing this part and thank you for easing my suffering in advance.

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

Hahaha you're loving idiots if you want hearts rather than events

Probad
Feb 24, 2013

I want to believe!
The best thing about hearts is that they don't pretend to have replay value, unlike the forever war in DS.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Lyer posted:

Hahaha you're loving idiots if you want hearts rather than events

Why can't we have both, like we have in all the zones from the original release....

UchihaHirou
Mar 8, 2007

Active Skill:
Solves all problems.

CLAM DOWN posted:

Why can't we have both, like we have in all the zones from the original release....

Straits of Devastation, Malchor's Leap, Cursed Shore

Hearts are only palatable if there is a concurrent event that gives participation for the heart. Completing hearts without an event is really boring. I sure love watering the same 5 plants 25 times to fill a heart. /s

UchihaHirou fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Dec 10, 2015

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

UchihaHirou posted:

Straits of Devastation, Malchor's Leap, Cursed Shore

Fine, every zone except for those. Orr was always a different place compared to the rest of the game. You know exactly what I mean.

And they're not boring to me at all, my favourite part about world completion is doing the hearts again on alts.

Blasphemeral
Jul 26, 2012

Three mongrel men in exchange for a party member? I found that one in the Faustian Bargain Bin.

CLAM DOWN posted:

...Orr was always a different place compared to the rest of the game. You know exactly what I mean...

Of course we know what you mean, but how is outing Orr as Not :airquote: One of the Good Ones :airquote: pertinent to discussion?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Blasphemeral posted:

Of course we know what you mean, but how is outing Orr as Not :airquote: One of the Good Ones :airquote: pertinent to discussion?

I dunno, I never mentioned Orr. I personally do wish it had hearts.

Adhesive Gamin
Sep 29, 2010

Completing hearts is boring because leveling in an MMO is just a waste of your time past the first run through. I mean, more than the game is already.

Straits and Malchor's might as well not even have events, nobody gives a poo poo about them besides the temples. The whole event system only really works well in HoT zones, which wouldn't be improved by adding renown hearts, where old zones would be terrible without something to do while waiting for another event to start up (on the other side of the zone where you can't see it).

Adhesive Gamin fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Dec 10, 2015

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
SPVP is the only thing I am having fun with in this game, am I doing it all wrong? WVW is snoozefest and I have no interest in the pve grind :[

Tried out a Thief build today and drat it kills fast holy crap. Dagger/Pistol + Shortbow with a bunch of shadowstep abilities

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

if hearts were in the expansion people would be asking why they existed. just following events takes you pretty much all over the map anyways, and it's not like hearts would make something like tangled depths any less of a goddamn mess.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

if hearts were in the expansion people would be asking why they existed. just following events takes you pretty much all over the map anyways, and it's not like hearts would make something like tangled depths any less of a goddamn mess.

They'd give direction in messes like Tangled Depths, and at least would give something to do at my own pace, because I can't set aside 2 hours for poo poo like Dragon's Stand meta.

UchihaHirou
Mar 8, 2007

Active Skill:
Solves all problems.

CLAM DOWN posted:

They'd give direction in messes like Tangled Depths, and at least would give something to do at my own pace, because I can't set aside 2 hours for poo poo like Dragon's Stand meta.

It's not like you do anything other than hang out naked in the guild hall, or RPing in Rata Sum/Divinity's Reach anyway.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

UchihaHirou posted:

It's not like you do anything other than hang out naked in the guild hall, or RPing in Rata Sum/Divinity's Reach anyway.

*removes moot seductively*

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

CLAM DOWN posted:

"Casuals" don't get emotionally invested in the game; they play it for fun.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Seconding the housing in WIldstar, you could even guild neighborhoods with your guildmates.

Can you imagine the SFD neighborhood? :allears:

Brain In A Jar
Apr 21, 2008

I've burnt out almost completely on the mastery xp grind. I used to love logging in and playing this game but doing the same adventures, and the same events, over and over and over with no other option for parallel pve progression has driven me to the point where I log in, open my chest, ask if anyone's doing anything fun in gchat, and when the answer is inevitably 'no', I log out again.

I think I can honestly say that as an idiot who paid full price for Wildstar at launch, it was still a better purchase than HoT turned out to be.

PS: The 2 hour Dragon's Stand meta is a loving abomination, especially since they backload all the xp to the Mouth kill. Don't have two hours to sit on your rear end and follow plodding yaks through waves of enemies and two copy/pasted minibosses? Too loving bad because joining an in-progress instance that isn't a trainwreck is basically impossible, and god forbid the client crash mid-way through and you weren't in a group (though this has been largely mitigated by squads).

Dragon's Stand is like Teq but you have to turn up 90 minutes early instead of 15 and it is possibly the worst thing in the game at the moment.

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

Brain In A Jar posted:

Dragon's Stand...is possibly the worst thing in the game at the moment.

Excuse me, Chak Gerent would like a word with you sir.

I haven't had much issue with DS honestly, but it does take 60-90 minutes so I haven't done it much.

Generic Octopus fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Dec 10, 2015

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007

Brain In A Jar posted:

I've burnt out almost completely on the mastery xp grind. I used to love logging in and playing this game but doing the same adventures, and the same events, over and over and over with no other option for parallel pve progression has driven me to the point where I log in, open my chest, ask if anyone's doing anything fun in gchat, and when the answer is inevitably 'no', I log out again.

I think I can honestly say that as an idiot who paid full price for Wildstar at launch, it was still a better purchase than HoT turned out to be.

PS: The 2 hour Dragon's Stand meta is a loving abomination, especially since they backload all the xp to the Mouth kill. Don't have two hours to sit on your rear end and follow plodding yaks through waves of enemies and two copy/pasted minibosses? Too loving bad because joining an in-progress instance that isn't a trainwreck is basically impossible, and god forbid the client crash mid-way through and you weren't in a group (though this has been largely mitigated by squads).

Dragon's Stand is like Teq but you have to turn up 90 minutes early instead of 15 and it is possibly the worst thing in the game at the moment.

Same but I show up 15 minutes late and afk until the mouth kill then collect all of that sweet, sweet crystalline ore. It's like VW but easier because it's on a timer.

Most of the XP is from mobs though, but I'm mastery capped so whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pesterchum
Nov 8, 2009

clown car to hell choo choo

CLAM DOWN posted:

Would it, though? I spent a lot of time dicking around in TG just trying to find hero points and could not handle the whole different elevations thing. I'll admit this could be a personal failing of mine

• Locked thread