Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Torpor posted:

Well this election cycle is so far panning out to be a clear win for accelerationists.

Hell yeah. I'm not very racist, but I'm thinking of becoming more racist just to fit in with my fellow white men. Might as well have fun while we ride this poo poo into the ground.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Toph Bei Fong posted:

But yeah, all of Cruz's rehearsed mannerisms, the way he moves his hands, the completely memorized scenes from movies and TV shows, the insistence that he is never wrong because he is correct in this specific individual case that he is talking about... He's just grown into his father's oversized suit jacket.

Nah, he lacks Rafael Cruz's charisma and his speaking style is just insufferable rather than interesting.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

zoux posted:

The media is complicit in this. If a politician makes a statement, and 99 people agree with him and 1 person disagrees with him, the objective standard means they have to talk to one person from the 99 side and then the one person from the one person side. So you read the article, you see a quote from a supporter and a quote from a critic and it's presented as equally weighty. If you start circling weasel words in most articles, you won't be able to read poo poo through the red ink.

The other big issue there is that most pubs don't really distinguish between fact and opinion when applying whatever standard of objectivity they aspire to. It's certainly nowhere in the SPJ's code of ethics. It's right and good to show differences of opinion on issues like abortion where there are few provable facts that the various sides disagree on. But yeah, when we're getting into global warming territory, they're seriously failing in their duty to contextualize things like global warming, and that they can objectively report differences of opinion while at the same time providing the factual context.

TheDisreputableDog
Oct 13, 2005

Radish posted:

Almost every complaint about Obama from the right is so stupid they probably would look smarter if they just admitted they hated him for his race.

It just be racism, his record is unassailable :sax:

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

TheDisreputableDog posted:

It just be racism, his record is unassailable :sax:

Yes, former Marines want to piss on him and set him on fire because of his policy decisions, I'm sure.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Joementum posted:

Quote of the day, “He took his flag pin off. I’m a Marine and former deputy sheriff. He took that off, he was in the toilet to me. I would not only not piss on him if he was on fire — I’d throw gas on him.” ~ Frank Lanzillo, participant in a focus group of Trump supporters, on Barack Obama.

Literally treating flag symbology as a magic totem.

It's a loving pin, not even a real flag, and this dude is acting like Obama desecrated the one true cross by loving Jesus on it without a reach around.

SavageBastard
Nov 16, 2007
Professional Lurker

Mulva posted:

Not really, unless you are willing to light people up and shame them for their lies they won't stop. The problem is since news is now for-profit they will always regress to the lowest common denominator because no one wants to lose money and strengthen their competition.

The research is pretty clear that the more you do this the more you actually entrench their belief. And if you really think that Cruz isn't prepared to handle that in any of the myriad of ways already described in this thread (or demonstrated at the Republican debates) then you are living in a fantasy land.

Radbot posted:

I don't know, since I'd rather listen to dead air than Cruz ignoring the interviewer and giving out conservative talking points on radio stations largely funded by public donations and (a little bit) the government.

You think we should turn interviews into PR; to the extent that they already haven't, I disagree.

That's not what I'm saying at all. I've just heard enough Inskeep interviews to know that he made it pretty clear that Cruz was wrong about what he was saying without derailing the entire interview about it. I hear what you're complaining about because you see it all the time on other news outlets but it simply isn't what happened here.

SavageBastard fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Dec 10, 2015

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Ruh roh Rahmmy

quote:

E-mails obtained by NBC Chicago through a Freedom of Information Act request show the City Hall press office was made aware of the possibility of a Laquan McDonald dash cam video on Dec. 8, 2014, two months after the teen was shot 16 times by a Chicago police officer.

Emanuel spokeswoman Shannon Breymaier was part of an e-mail chain questioning whether the city could release video of the shooting. A top assistant in the corporation counsel’s office replied, “This is not a lawsuit as of now.”

TheDisreputableDog
Oct 13, 2005

Radbot posted:

Yes, former Marines want to piss on him and set him on fire because of his policy decisions, I'm sure.

One guy says or does something -> escalation to include actually diverse group of people

Where have I seen this pattern before

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

:negative:

Tyson graduated from Harvard before UT. Sampson (who didn't invent the cellphone, gj fact checking) graduated from Princeton before UI.

And why bring up a football scholarship when talking about AA.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

ayn rand hand job posted:

And why bring up a football scholarship when talking about AA.
That was AA back in the day.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
Rahm's maneuvering to the other side of the public/police divide (or however it should be characterized) is such an incredibly blatant attempt to save his own hide.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

TheDisreputableDog posted:

One guy says or does something -> escalation to include actually diverse group of people

Where have I seen this pattern before

Turn your monitor off.

Dante Logos
Dec 31, 2010

Rhesus Pieces posted:

Just :lol:

Top Trump aide: Latinos who don’t like Trump are here illegally

If a healthy proportion of the GOP base weren't eating this poo poo up with a knife and fork I'd be convinced this was a performance art piece or a purposeful attempt to scuttle the campaign.

I'm pretty sure that the association of Latinos=illegals is the contributing factor to how unpopular Trump is to the group. Latinos are not immune to FYGM, but the association isn't helping the GOP win Latino votes.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

zoux posted:

Turn your monitor off.

:drat:

TheDisreputableDog
Oct 13, 2005

zoux posted:

Turn your monitor off.

The joke's on you I'm posting from my phone.

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

SedanChair posted:

Nah, he lacks Rafael Cruz's charisma and his speaking style is just insufferable rather than interesting.

That's the weird thing. They were never interesting or engaging speakers. But they would dominate the floor by continuing to speak at length, repeatedly, would constantly introduce new bills for consideration and new, usually unnecessary, amendments to the bills we were already in consideration so that their names would be attached when they passed. They were playing a points game, trying to get the chairs to see that they were good at this. And so making them whiff insured that they only won pity points if there was a softhearted college kid on the committee.

And so it was up to the noble nation of Bahrain or Liberia or Yemen to insure that the US or France or Germany (we always filed our paperwork early, and thus got one desirable country and one oddball one) kept the floor. Which was itself an interesting lesson about client states, the limits of power, and imperialism, I guess, if not at all the one that was intended by the game.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Cabbit posted:

This is from so many pages back, but: having been stung by a bark scorpion, I heartily support turning the entirety of Nevada outside of Vegas into a giant solar panel.

gently caress those things.

The way I see it there's no way to do large scale energy generation without some environmental damage. So why not localize it to a single place where the impact will be limited.

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May

zoux posted:

Turn your monitor off.

:vince:

I love that Trump is so over the top that he's actually causing reactionary shitheads to try trolling D&D. He really is the gift that keeps on giving.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Hope it's just a false alarm, but hearing reports of an active shooter at Arkansas State Student Union?

edit: Nevermind, apparently a student had a gun but got surrounded by police before any shots were fired.

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

Radbot posted:

It's more just that most Marines and former Marines are dumb as gently caress. Source: I'm a former Marine and I'm stupider than dog poo poo.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

zoux posted:

"Please raise your hand if you are a racist dumbass"

Those people look exactly like what I'd expect Trump supporters to look like. Middle aged to old, white, and mean as hell.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

BonoMan posted:

Hope it's just a false alarm, but hearing reports of an active shooter at Arkansas State Student Union?

edit: Nevermind, apparently a student had a gun but got surrounded by police before any shots were fired.

If only there was a good guy with a gun, this would have never happenedescalated into a tragedy!

CalmDownMate
Dec 3, 2015

by Shine
So Trump stood down on Israel? He finally blinked everybody in the field needs to be jumping over each other calling him a pussy and a coward for not willing to stand up for his ideals/ bowing to someones else will.

"I thought you didn't care about what people thought about what you said. It's clear you are too pc to go over to israel and do x"

That is a winning strategy against the shithead.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Ginette Reno posted:

Those people look exactly like what I'd expect Trump supporters to look like. Middle aged to old, white, and mean as hell.

Well my friend, I think you'll find that at least one of them is actually [light-skinned minority of some sort], so who's the real racist now? Furthermore, *begins farting with such volume and velocity that I rocket out my own rear end*

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

CalmDownMate posted:

So Trump stood down on Israel? He finally blinked everybody in the field needs to be jumping over each other calling him a pussy and a coward for not willing to stand up for his ideals/ bowing to someones else will.

"I thought you didn't care about what people thought about what you said. It's clear you are too pc to go over to israel and do x"

No, the only winning move is not to play. :unsmigghh:

inshallah

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

"“But certainly, we know that there is a small group, and we don’t know how big that is — it can be anywhere between 5 and 20%, from the people that I speak to — that Islam is their religion and who have a desire for a caliphate and to institute that in anyway possible, and in particular go after what they consider Western norms — our way of life,” - Loretta Sanchez ( D-CA)

CalmDownMate
Dec 3, 2015

by Shine

A Winner is Jew posted:

No, the only winning move is not to play. :unsmigghh:

inshallah

Not only would i go to the temple mount id take a poo poo on the front steps

Instagold to the gop

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

zoux posted:

"“But certainly, we know that there is a small group, and we don’t know how big that is — it can be anywhere between 5 and 20%, from the people that I speak to — that Islam is their religion and who have a desire for a caliphate and to institute that in anyway possible, and in particular go after what they consider Western norms — our way of life,” - Loretta Sanchez ( D-CA)

My former rep :negative:

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

CalmDownMate posted:

His intent is to wait until he has use of the armed forces.

CalmDownMate
Dec 3, 2015

by Shine
http://twitter.com/DoeBQue/status/675046418051112960/photo/1

My sides.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

lmao Is that the shooter thing reported earlier? I saw he was taken into custody without a shot actually being fired.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

idiot comment posted:

Macrant Hunter · Owner at Business Owner
20% is not a small group. 15% isn't small. 10% is still disturbing.
+1

Yes The Owner of Business Owner has cleared through the fog to ensure you that no matter how few Muslims you believe might be bad, you are wrong!

:eyepop: Trump's America.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

From a vandalized Sikh temple in Buena Park, CA. The writing referenced ISIS and Islam.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
If it was a black guy doing donuts and firing a rifle into the air, would he have A) been shot hundreds of times or B) been shot thousands of times?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Raskolnikov38 posted:

lmao Is that the shooter thing reported earlier? I saw he was taken into custody without a shot actually being fired.

"Gah! Didn't you read my flag!!"

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

CalmDownMate posted:

"I'm not trying to get people killed. What's wrong with you? You clown."

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Radbot posted:

What are you even talking about? You could output enough power for everyone in the US without covering all of Nevada's desert alone. Nevada is loving insanely huge and 90% unpopulated.

On a good day sure, but not at loving night, or on overcast days, and changes in solar productive hours throughout the year exist. So then you'd need truly massive energy storage equipment, a severely upgraded and reliable transcontinental grid beyond what any area has seen before, and you're still causing environmental havoc by covering so much land.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

There's a kid in my neighborhood who has a truck just like that with the American and Glasden flag flying in the bed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CalmDownMate
Dec 3, 2015

by Shine

Crain posted:

"I'm not trying to get people killed. What's wrong with you? You clown."

"So now your trying to protect the lives of the muslim terrorists? I knew you were nothing but talk. You speak a lot but at the end of the day your not willing to actually do anything about the muslim problem. Your weak on Muslims. Weak."

• Locked thread