Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

I literally rushed here to post this. :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
He caught sight of an unattended empty bottle and was so astonished he forgot to stop using his hand as a belt. I tell ya Fatbeard, you should make some kind of Pilgrimage with a lovely borrowed truck to the UK to fill it with empty bottles. There are thousands! Just lying on the street! A fortune in unclaimed beer, just waiting to be redeemed.

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

I'm starting to think that Croatia is a great place to live.

A SWEATY FATBEARD
Oct 6, 2012

:buddy: GAY 4 ORGANS :buddy:
Boy did I mangle grammar in my previous post (that's why I'm missing the post editing feature in e/n)

I took some trams, passed out around midnight, woke up at 3AM covered in drool, shat out a post and passed out again.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Whose drool?

A SWEATY FATBEARD
Oct 6, 2012

Data Graham posted:

Whose drool?

I dozed off in a sitting position and ended up drooling into my lap.

serious norman
Dec 13, 2007

im pickle rick!!!!

A SWEATY FATBEARD posted:

I dozed off in a sitting position and ended up drooling into my lap.

same. Also, what beer did you get?

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Do they have Lagunitas Hop Stoopid in Croatia? If so, can I get a price check, please?

The Saurus
Dec 3, 2006

by Smythe
To be honest if I could trade old cans and bottles for beer I'd probably spend all day doing that too.

Maybe invest in a pair of heavy duty gloves and a litter picker.

Sir John Falstaff
Apr 13, 2010

Efexeye posted:

Do they have Lagunitas Hop Stoopid in Croatia? If so, can I get a price check, please?

I doubt they sell Lagunitas in 2-liter plastic bottles.

Millow
Apr 30, 2006

some say he's a rude dude with a crude 'tude
Dude, you should find some recycling bins to stake out, and raid them and steal the empties before they get picked up on garbage day. Do they have garbage day in Croatia? Or do you just burn everything in a ditch? That way you could just get a whole bunch at once instead rummaging through loving bus stop garbage cans.

The Saurus
Dec 3, 2006

by Smythe
^^^ he could pretend to be a trash collector from zagrebacki holding council serices

A SWEATY FATBEARD
Oct 6, 2012

Nah, it ain't me. I could theoretically be Borislav Škegro, the former Croatian minister of finances... who was caught stealing a bottle of grain alcohol on camera: https://youtu.be/Csf1CkIXg5g?t=2m34s

In the youtube video our hero says that he didn't steal anything, even though the letterboxed video in the corner of the screen clearly shows that he swiped a bottle of rakija and attempted to hide it under his coat. :iamafag:

Millow posted:

Dude, you should find some recycling bins to stake out, and raid them and steal the empties before they get picked up on garbage day. Do they have garbage day in Croatia? Or do you just burn everything in a ditch? That way you could just get a whole bunch at once instead rummaging through loving bus stop garbage cans.

Yeah, but then I'd be competing with a whole army of bums and gypsies who do exactly the same thing. I'm picking through trash at the bus stop since I'm using the "surprise" tactic; ambushing people for bottles (I sit on a bench and scout out people who are drinking something, then wait for them to throw an empty bottle in the trash and recover it post-haste.) None of my bottles/cans spend more than 10 minutes in the trash.

Also, the garbage day is three times a week in my estate. Unfortunately, the dumpsters are kept locked in a dumpster room (which is not unlike a garage) and the other thing is that dumpster diving is called "diving" because you literally have to climb into the dumpster in order to recover anything at all from it.

Another thing, clearance sales in the supermarkets are a wonderful thing. The other day I found loaves of bread for $0.30 each, so I traded in my bottles and took two loaves. One loaf was eaten immediately, while the other one was wrapped in a plastic bag and put into the freezer... "just in case" :)

Susan paid her rent (200 euros) this Saturday, so today I reinvested the money and paid the inheritance tax on the Bruno estate. My aunts were getting incredibly annoying about how I didn't have money for the tax (150 euros); today I finally got them out of my hair. The downside to this is that I'll probably have to make do with fifty euros until January - Waldo's health recovered and he started working again, but most, if not all of his money was used to pay the utilities in his apartment. I'm not counting on him to pay me any rent this month either - maybe I'll get a few bucks - but I sure as hell won't be holding my breath for it. Dad the dad will probably have to bail out my rear end yet again. :ughh:

Also, today I bought a bike lock so now I can do errands around the town on my bike without having to worry that the bike will go MIA with my back turned. What's not so good is that my ankle is still hurting and I'm trying to rest my legs as much as possible. Maybe I'll ask my doc to have some x-rays taken of my ankle to see what's going on down there - as this has been hurting me for a really long time now and I'm getting kinda worried that I might have broken something for real.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
This thread makes Croatia seem like some sort of cartoon world or something.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
This is the thread of a rich guy who doesn't need to work, choosing to live like a hobo. He has money coming in literally all the time and has no job, 'just' owns 2 apartments. It's sort of annoying but the stories are too good for me to really get mad. Please keep them coming.

The Saurus
Dec 3, 2006

by Smythe
There are different tactical approaches to swiping old cans and bottles from bins.

The Saurus
Dec 3, 2006

by Smythe
Today I told my Croation-American coworker about "the only croation guy I know" collecting trash to trade for 2 liter bottles of beer and she said it was the kind of thing her family over there might do. Apparently they also make their own moonshiney stuff.

Croatia is the greatest place to live

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

redreader posted:

This is the thread of a rich guy who doesn't need to work, choosing to live like a hobo. He has money coming in literally all the time and has no job, 'just' owns 2 apartments. It's sort of annoying but the stories are too good for me to really get mad. Please keep them coming.

Lmao Fatbeard is NOT rich. He lives in destitute squalor. He's a cool dude, but "rich"? Lol

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
They are the words of somebody who has never visited Croatia, and has no reading comprehension.

The Saurus
Dec 3, 2006

by Smythe
Croation coworker said that the unemployment rate in croatia is like 50% or something insane.

ASF apparently there's a lot of work in the summer catering to european tourists on the coats, maybe you should take working holidays in the summer to save up some money.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

The Saurus posted:

Today I told my Croation-American coworker about "the only croation guy I know" collecting trash to trade for 2 liter bottles of beer and she said it was the kind of thing her family over there might do. Apparently they also make their own moonshiney stuff.

Croatia is the greatest place to live

Everyone in the ex-Yugo countries makes their own moonshine. So yes.

The Saurus posted:

ASF apparently there's a lot of work in the summer catering to european tourists on the coats, maybe you should take working holidays in the summer to save up some money.
I think you missed the parts about the crippling autism, mild psychosis, and revolving addictions to various psychoactives. ASF has struggled to hold down a job sorting garbage in a warehouse. The results of letting him loose on Eurotrash tourists would be hilarious but short-lived.

Shithouse Dave
Aug 5, 2007

each post manufactured to the highest specifications

Lead out in cuffs posted:

Everyone in the ex-Yugo countries makes their own moonshine. So yes.

I think you missed the parts about the crippling autism, mild psychosis, and revolving addictions to various psychoactives. ASF has struggled to hold down a job sorting garbage in a warehouse. The results of letting him loose on Eurotrash tourists would be hilarious but short-lived.

You left out the cancer and resultant chemo too

The Saurus
Dec 3, 2006

by Smythe
Turns out the Croation unemployment rate is so high because they're unfit for employment

A SWEATY FATBEARD
Oct 6, 2012

Buschmaki posted:

This thread makes Croatia seem like some sort of cartoon world or something.

Croatia is colloquialy known as "absurdistan" so yeah.

redreader posted:

He has money coming in literally all the time and has no job, 'just' owns 2 apartments.

Three. :haw:

Captain Yossarian posted:

Lmao Fatbeard is NOT rich. He lives in destitute squalor. He's a cool dude, but "rich"? Lol

Yeah I'm living on $220 a month. The "squalor" part is debatable, as my apartment is surprisingly neat and in a good shape. Even my white trash inlaws congratulated me for keeping my place clean and orderly.

Lead out in cuffs posted:

The results of letting him loose on Eurotrash tourists would be hilarious but short-lived.

This. I could get a seasonal job at the coast but I'd be fired almost immediately for verbally assaulting an unruly Eurotrash tourist (and then I'd have to panhandle in order to raise money for the bus fare home.)

Shithouse Dave posted:

You left out the cancer and resultant chemo too

Yeah, that set me back for a few years. Later today I'mma get high on trams, go to the hospital and have x-rays taken of my ankle because this poo poo has been going on for a proposterously long time and I fear that I broke something real bad. This sort of injury takes a few weeks to heal but my ankle has been killing me for almost two months now.

And now... story time!

Back when I worked in the warehouse, one of our elderly janitors (Elvira) was down with untreated schizophrenia. One evening I walked behind her on the way to the bus stop, and I caught her engaging in a rather animated conversation with nobody in particular. At first I thought she was using one of those handsfree cellphones (which was a crazy new thing in those days) but when I came closer, I saw no cellphone or earphones anywhere on her body - she was literally talking to herself and cackling to her own jokes like a madman.
It didn't end there, however. Elvira later lured one of my coworkers (Zlatko) in a secluded room, took off all of her clothes, sit on the table naked and invited him over for some sexy time. Zlatko did the only reasonable thing and said "ELVIRA WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH YOU." Elvira apparently took a lot of offense to being shot down, so she lunged at Zlatko with a plank and Zlatko did the only reasonable thing he could do, he charged at hapless Elvira and punched her lights out in self-defense.
This became a minor legend in the warehouse and after this, everyone stayed the hell away from Elvira because she was batshit insane and you could expect pretty much anything from her.

This is just a minor story about the "hopeless" work unit which I was a part of, and I have more stories about these people. Anybody interested (to keep the thread going?)

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
And yet you were less qualified to hold a job than those people. That is goddamn impressive I must say.

serious norman
Dec 13, 2007

im pickle rick!!!!

A SWEATY FATBEARD posted:

This is just a minor story about the "hopeless" work unit which I was a part of, and I have more stories about these people. Anybody interested (to keep the thread going?)

Yes

Old Binsby
Jun 27, 2014

Keep posting A SWEATY FATBEARD! I thoroughly enjoy your antics, and having worked at a bunch of warehouses myself they almost make me nostalgic :v:

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.
Croatia is a great place to live.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Lured by the bacchanalian promise of the posts in this thread, delegations of goon emigrants with hope in their hearts will head to Zagreb, never to be heard from again by the civilized world. Finally a GBS fact finding mission will arrive at Fatbeard's abandoned, meticulously kept apartment, only to find a single, enigmatic word engraved crudely on the door: CROATION

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
Yeah sorry fat beard I meant no offense :) I should say "when you had all the roaches, you lived in squalor" . I'm glad your new place is better!

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Ricky Bad Posts posted:

Croatia is a great place to live.

No it's not.

Rap Music and Dope
Dec 25, 2010
For some reason Euros really suck to
This is by far my favorite thread on the forum. I'm rooting for you.

szary
Mar 12, 2014
Wait, you had inlaws? I must have missed this part.

A SWEATY FATBEARD
Oct 6, 2012

szary posted:

Wait, you had inlaws? I must have missed this part.

Correction: they are my cousins that are so distant that they might as well be my inlaws. However, ditto for the white trash aspect of theirs.

Bitcoin420
Oct 30, 2013
these posts are consistently the best on the forums. cycling around with a broken ankle, presumably high as gently caress, rummaging through bins. Possibly with a steak on hand to ward off any violent dogs. Don't ever change, man

Filboid Studge
Oct 1, 2010
And while they debated the matter among themselves, Conradin made himself another piece of toast.

I already wanted a holiday in Croatia. Now I know that it's a surrealist yet ultimately gentle black comedy, I really want to go.

Cirofren
Jun 13, 2005

Pillbug
I sway back and forth on what the answer to the thread title is. Regardless it's a great place to read about. Do keep posting Fatbeard.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
Yeah this is probably my favourite post and poster on the forums. You do a great job, ASF. Seriously, have you thought about writing a book?

HoAssHo
Mar 10, 2005

:love::love::love:

Filboid Studge posted:

I already wanted a holiday in Croatia. Now I know that it's a surrealist yet ultimately gentle black comedy, I really want to go.

I've been Croatia on vacation (even stayed in Zagreb for a few days) and I think it's the kind of thing where you need to live there (or visit for a long time, I guess) to really see the side of life the OP is living. Zagreb had a depressing ex-soviet kind of vibe, but as a tourist, I didn't have the opportunity to hang out with any ASF's.

So, unless you're the kind of person who randomly hangs out with street people in foreign countries, don't expect much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

Filboid Studge posted:

I went to Croatia a couple years ago with my girlfriend. After some days of wandering we found ourselves in Brač, looking for a campground near the famous Golden Horn pebble beach to relax a little. We found this narrow, steeply terraced place with a distinct "improvised" vibe: most of the (unmarked) lots had no power outlets, the showers had lovely plastic curtains instead of doors, the "car parking" was just the side of the internal road, and stray kittens stopped by every night to beg for food. The main building had a patio with tables, chairs, a kitchen and a fire pit that guests (and stray kittens) could freely use to cook and eat meals and socialize, which is something I had never seen before and would have probably been impossible in a larger, better organized place. The large communal table also doubled as the owner's office during the day

One morning my girlfriend locks the keys in the car. We try everything we can think of to open the car without breaking a window (the cheap old tricks don't work with newer cars, the doors and windows fit much more tightly than they used to). Finally, we ask the campground owner for help. He says there are no mechanics on the island, but he'll call a friend. Said friend (an older gentleman who must have seen some poo poo) arrives a little later on his scooter, whips out a keyring with dozens of car keys ground into lockpicks and gives it his best, to no effect. Ultimately, after even the time-honored (and AFAIK perfectly useless) tennis ball trick fails, we break a window and a fellow camper takes the keys out of the hole with a magnet on a telescoping rod, but still, I love the idea that a guy knows a guy who has a keyring of car door picks

(if you find yourself in the same situation, you can limit the damage by taping over the window before breaking it. Taped over, broken glass is much better than a plastic sheet: friendly to the AC and doesn't beat like a drum at highway speeds)

Other highlights of the vacation include:
  • a full campground lets us in anyway, letting us pitch our tent on the patio in front of the bar on the condition that it's gone by the time the bar opens
  • at the same campground, you could reserve brioches that would be delivered fresh from a local bakery the morning after
  • after visiting the Plitvice Lakes National Park, for dinner we heated a can of goulash on a camp stove in the middle of the car park. Park rangers come by, but don't fine us, warn us or even comment: they just remind us that we can't park overnight
  • the pine tree grove at the base of the Golden Horn beach is plagued by hornets. The owners of the local bar/restaurant have evidently given up on keeping them away, and just leave some food out for them so that they mostly leave the customers alone
  • roadside pork barbecue restaurants along Slovenian highways
The place had a charm and human warmth that I haven't seen much of elsewhere