Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Moon Potato posted:

A cheeky little American Robin that was trying to sneak in for a close view and figure out what my deal is:

hidden-robin by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

Oh this is soooooooo nice. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer

Captain Invictus posted:

Holy poo poo, did I get a fright. Walked out into the hallway to bathroom to prep for bed, and for colossal turkeys were just hanging out on the roof, staring at me through the window at the end of the hallway. I snuck around and got a closer look and some good photos and videos, it'll be a day or two before I can upload them most likely though. There were at least a dozen fully grown turkeys as well as one albino turkey. Really pretty! Not the most majestic of creatures though, as one awkwardly tried to change perch position on the fence he was sitting on and nearly fell off. A few were ten feet up on a tree, four were sleeping on my roof, and the rest were either sleeping on the fence or digging for food. My dumb dog barking scared the ones off the roof before I could take some photos of them sleeping there, but I think this is the same flock that has lived in our neighborhood for many years. Good to see they're still around, I hadn't seen them all year and was worried they'd been wiped out.

Taken this morning, literally as I'm on my way to give a lecture that included why male turkeys form teams to court females.

UCB-turkey-male-coalition on Flickr

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

ArcMage posted:

Wild turkeys are right in there with wild hogs for animals whose turf I don't want to be on without permission.

I'd feel the same way if I were so tasty and one of the go-to animals for huge holiday feasts.

Moon Potato
May 12, 2003

Kingfishers cast pellets containing the bones and indigestible tissues of their prey, just like owls. I was waiting for this one to dive at some fish yesterday, but it just sat there for a while, barfed, then flew off when a Peregrine Falcon showed up.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qHgbt8EWn68

The falcon is a regular that waits by the mouth of a tidal slough for either the harriers to break up a flock of shorebirds or the shifting tides to send handfuls of birds flying one way or the other. Neither of those happened before sunset, so it tried chasing a gull while the last bits of light faded.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XcDvpmZ13sA

Moon Potato
May 12, 2003

Something about the recent rain storm made the beds of clams along the shore irresistible to diving ducks.

Surf Scoter:

scoter-clam by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

Greater Scaup:

scaup-clam by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

Bufflehead:

bufflehead-rainbow by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

A White-tailed Kite looking awesome while scouting for voles:

kite-head-on by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

An American Bittern making a face at me:

bittern-face by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
Is that gull actually in any danger? It seems much bigger than the falcon and doesn't seem to be trying too hard to get away or fight or anything.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
Also I saw this something-or-other hanging out at the pool the other day (Eastern Ontario)

Moon Potato
May 12, 2003

Asiina posted:

Is that gull actually in any danger? It seems much bigger than the falcon and doesn't seem to be trying too hard to get away or fight or anything.
Peregrine Falcons do kill gulls sometimes, but the ones around Humboldt Bay are spoiled from having so many small shorebirds around. I see them chase larger prey sometimes, but they never seem to catch anything bigger than a yellowlegs.

vaguely
Apr 29, 2013

hot_squirting_honey.gif

Moon Potato posted:

A White-tailed Kite looking awesome while scouting for voles:

kite-head-on by Redwood Planet, on Flickr
:aaaaa:
i want this on a shirt

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
TURKEY TIIIIIIME

ALBINO TURKEYYYY

Gonna wait on the videos until at least I get my new computer because it will take literal days to convert them on my current one

Asiina posted:

Also I saw this something-or-other hanging out at the pool the other day (Eastern Ontario)

Just your everyday average conifer seed bug. They tend to get inside buildings, somehow, every winter without fail.

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.
Why is there a toy landfill in your backyard?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
That was the play yard for my mom's old daycare. I've been in the process of digging it out so I can donate the old toys from pretty much the worst poo poo ever that will ruin your life, Oriental Bittersweet, the vines grew into and through the toys making it near impossible to remove them, but I've been slowly cutting them out. Oriental Bittersweet is basically second only to kudzu; an invasive plant that grows so insanely fast and engulfs absolutely everything in thick vines. If it wasn't fall and all the leaves were on them still, you wouldn't have been able to even see the toys despite my efforts to extract them. The entire play yard was completely covered in only two years time. It has also strangled a bunch of the trees on our property line to death, it will literally squeeze them to death like the photo below. Pray you never get this poo poo:

This is what the root systems look like for one plant. They are basically impossible to remove.

I spent the entire spring and summer purging them, and I've barely made a dent. Literal tons of vines and leaves and I've only cleaned off a dozen trees and a small section of the property. There's an acre-sized block of impenetrable forest in the middle of the woods behind our house that's so thick with vines you literally can't get through it. It is a nightmare plant.

And the lovely orange hut in the background, well, I want to tear it down, but apparently if we do, we will lose a good chunk of our property(like 10 feet from the current edge of it along an entire side), which we only own because that derelict thing is there. Land ownership laws are super weird, especially grandfather clauses.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Those colors :swoon:

Do they crunch clams open or swallow them intact?

Arus
Aug 23, 2003

Moon Potato posted:

An American Bittern making a face at me:

bittern-face by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

This bird has officially replaced the american woodcock to become my new favorite bird. :parrot:

Moon Potato
May 12, 2003

the yeti posted:

Those colors :swoon:

Do they crunch clams open or swallow them intact?
They swallow them whole. Most diving ducks have an enlarged gizzard to help pulverize shellfish.

vaguely posted:

:aaaaa:
i want this on a shirt
Does CafePress let you set up a user storefront or is there a similar site that does? I can probably make this happen.

Arus posted:

This bird has officially replaced the american woodcock to become my new favorite bird. :parrot:
They really are fantastic little weirdos. It's looking like we'll get enough rain to overflow the reed beds this winter, so I'll probably be able to get some nice footage and photos of them out in the open before long.

Captain Invictus posted:

Oriental bittersweet stuff.
Holy crap, that's a horrific plant.

Moon Potato fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Dec 6, 2015

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
It sprung from people buying wreaths made of the vines and berries and then throwing them in the woods when they were done with them. I am not kidding when I say "nightmare plant", I have torn up thousands of feet of the poo poo in the last two years. I want to eventually set up a no man's land between the property and the forest so it's easier to keep that poo poo from invading my yard. It's difficult though because the vines can travel underground multiple meters, I pulled one root up that extended from the edge of the yard, underground 15 feet, and then crawled up a tree separated in the yard. Kudzu is still way worse but OB can spread super easily die to birds loving the berries that spread seeds.

Anyways, yeah. Bittersweet sucks and it's partially why I'm replacing the fencing in the back yard too, because it intertwines in the pickets and tears them apart if there's any spacing. The tarps are down to starve those areas over the winter since the bittersweet had poison ivy intertwined with it, and gently caress pulling that up myself.

The turkeys seemed to like the new fence too, they were all roosting on it earlier. :3:

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

So they're basically the plant equivalent of common starlings?

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Mak0rz posted:

So they're basically the plant equivalent of common starlings?

Kudzu here in Alabama covers about 90% of the northern portions of the state, in my experience. They end up killing trees by smothering them completely.

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

You remind me of the boss
What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

GreyPowerVan posted:

Kudzu here in Alabama covers about 90% of the northern portions of the state, in my experience. They end up killing trees by smothering them completely.

At least Kudzu makes a half decent salad...

OneTwentySix
Nov 5, 2007

fun
FUN
FUN

I don't know how well it keeps up in a wet environment, but if it doesn't rot really fast, you might be able to cut vines if they're decent size/shape and sell them to people for terrariums. The picture where it's strangling that tree is a bit too big, but a little smaller than that and it would go great for a dart frog/gecko terrarium.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Kilo147 posted:

At least Kudzu makes a half decent salad...

Dis poo poo can be eaten?

Introduce it to the pacific Northwest and create a new super food.

Make a million + 1 dollars!

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Hah, OB has oily leaves and poisonous berries. Pretty much anti-salad material.

OneTwentySix posted:

I don't know how well it keeps up in a wet environment, but if it doesn't rot really fast, you might be able to cut vines if they're decent size/shape and sell them to people for terrariums. The picture where it's strangling that tree is a bit too big, but a little smaller than that and it would go great for a dart frog/gecko terrarium.
If it were a normal plant, I'd be fine with that, but it is seriously the type of plant that can go from a twig to a forest-devouring monster. I'd rather annihilate it all than spread it around, even if it's dead.

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

I have that Bittersweet poo poo on my land in Virginia. It's impossible to control. Poisoning it requires some sort of super strong poo poo that can kill pretty much anything, and you have to chop the vines and dunk the cut ends on the root side so they soak it up. And then you still have to rip the vines of the the trees.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

OneTwentySix posted:

No. Don't knowingly sell people atrociously invasive plants, for any application. Ever. That's what caused this mess in the first place! There are so, so many vines on Earth that you don't have to go about propagating awful ones. If you're already running water/ artificial lighting to an area, why not toss some passionflower seeds into a small pot? The flowers and fruits supposedly both contain chemical compounds that help :nws: potentate the effects of marijuana and shrooms :nws:.

Moon Potato
May 12, 2003

Moon Potato posted:

It's looking like we'll get enough rain to overflow the reed beds this winter, so I'll probably be able to get some nice footage and photos of them out in the open before long.
Well, that was quick. It was dumping rain for hours the other night, so I went out during a break in the storm yesterday. The alluvial pools at the marsh were filled up and the first spot I checked had a bittern lurking at the edge of his flooded bed of cattails. It caught and ate what appears to be a rough-skinned newt:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9d9b3ZFJ-EU
This came up last spring when I saw a bittern catch one before, but these newts are highly toxic and the only known vertebrate predator known to be resistant to tetrodotoxin is the garter snake. Nevertheless, the bittern went about its business, didn't regurgitate anything and didn't become paralyzed. I'm going to send this off to some wildlife professionals in my circles to see if anyone knows what the deal is here.

It left its reeds to hunt along a small stream that had formed, pausing every once and a while to pose like a reed and make sure the coast was clear. It started acting antsy when some joggers passed by on the trail, and I though they had spooked it, but it turned out to be a rival bittern hiding in the grass. This is the only time I've gotten a clear view of a male flaring out his shoulder feathers to signal aggression.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RVB-HRACRUg
The bittern defending its plot of flooded grass barked like a sick dog, but I didn't have a microphone hooked up since I wasn't expecting any vocalizations at this time of year.

I'm not entirely sure what this is, but it happened.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N5VKX3jnQDs

Moon Potato fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Dec 10, 2015

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I want Moon Potato to photograph my wedding. That is, while I get married he can run around and get photos of nearby birds.

The Red Queen
Jan 20, 2007

You tricked me!

You said dis place was fun, but it ain't!

Moon Potato posted:

I'm not entirely sure what this is, but it happened.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N5VKX3jnQDs

Is that the same bittern that ate the rough-skinned newt? Maybe he's tripping balls a little?

Moon Potato
May 12, 2003

The Red Queen posted:

Is that the same bittern that ate the rough-skinned newt? Maybe he's tripping balls a little?
It's the same bittern, but tetrodotoxin is supposed to be a paralytic (It blocks the sodium receptors in neurons and keeps them from firing). I've seen egrets and bitterns do a bit of a neck-wiggle before striking at prey before, but never this much or while walking at that speed.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mYj6ThQ8ygw

I sent the bittern video around some bird groups and local wildlife people today, and everyone else is as confused as I am. That was definitely a rough-skinned newt that it ate, but nobody seems to have an explanation for why the bittern survived. I took a walk in the rain to see if there was a dead muppet-heron floating around in the wetlands, but I saw three live bitterns in roughly the same spots as the three I saw yesterday.

Arus
Aug 23, 2003

It almost looked like he ate something whole and it was trying to get out :ohdear:

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

Do bitterns normally flap their tails much? Besides the neck wiggle, that one was pumping its tail like an excited cardinal.

Moon Potato
May 12, 2003

Arus posted:

It almost looked like he ate something whole and it was trying to get out :ohdear:
It was shaking out a piece of plant matter that got stuck in its craw during that strike. After the end of that video, it sat there being a weird, muppety lump for a couple minutes before moving onward.

Abyssal Squid posted:

Do bitterns normally flap their tails much? Besides the neck wiggle, that one was pumping its tail like an excited cardinal.
I think they only do that when they're fairly excited. Although they're usually hidden in the reeds, I've only seen them do that once before.

Also, from the 'Bird Yells Into a Cup' thread:

Edit: we have an answer about the newt conundrum. Kate Marianchild responds:

quote:

Problem solved. I sent the video url to Edmund Brodie, the prof who has been studying newt toxicity since 1960. He's the one who discovered the coevolutionary arms race with garter snakes and caddisfly larvae. He wrote back this morning and said, "Many/most newts from that area do not have TTX." He appreciated seeing the video.
Now we're all confused about why rough-skinned newts in an area with a healthy garter snake population don't produce tetrodotoxin.

Moon Potato fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Dec 11, 2015

EmDuck
Feb 16, 2013

Its an amphibeeious critter. :v:

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
Those are some dope pictures.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Moon Potato posted:

Also, from the 'Bird Yells Into a Cup' thread:

Edit: we have an answer about the newt conundrum. Kate Marianchild responds:

Now we're all confused about why rough-skinned newts in an area with a healthy garter snake population don't produce tetrodotoxin.

This is perfect. I was also gonna go with

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

EmDuck posted:

Its an amphibeeious critter. :v:

I once jumped into a lake to save a bee, I am basically a hero.

bog pixie
Feb 23, 2013

Does anyone know what this thing is? I picked some moss to see what it looked like up close and there were several tiny yellow wormlike things crawling around.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fPw55Yb81Sc

They're very small. Here's the entire clump of moss next to a quarter to give some sense of scale.

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

I'm not an expert on fungus gnat larvae, but that's what it looks like to me, and they're said to be common all over the world. They also do this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P5XhSSaHtgM

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

You remind me of the boss
What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

Man, if I could get Kudzu up here I'd plant it indoors in a pot and just eat it when it gets too big. Plus, the flowers make great tea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
And then it strangles you in your sleep

• Locked thread