Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CalmDownMate
Dec 3, 2015

by Shine
I wonder if hypothetically speaking african americans coopted the dont tread on me flag, the confederate flag, and monster trucks whether or not they would get gunned down by the police if they protested with guns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum

TheDisreputableDog posted:

One guy says or does something -> escalation to include actually diverse group of people

Where have I seen this pattern before

So what's the deal here? Who keeps rejecting your probations despite blatant unending trolling?

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

CalmDownMate posted:

I wonder if hypothetically speaking african americans coopted the dont tread on me flag, the confederate flag, and monster trucks whether or not they would get gunned down by the police if they protested with guns.
Would it it be an all/mostly black protest

Because if so, yes regardless of the content of the protest

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

A Winner is Jew posted:

No, the only winning move is not to play. :unsmigghh:

inshallah

Seems to me that calling Trump out on this stuff is the only thing that can actually harm his campaign. The base he's drawing votes from loves him for being a "straight talker" and "saying it like it is" and all that happy horseshit that means they don't have to actually think about topics. The rest of the world is just staring on in horror as the circus clown side show steals the main act; outside of his little circle everything he says is pushing everyone further and further away. Trick is, for those people in the circle of his substance means nothing. Probably less than nothing, actually working to solve issues gets you tarred and feathered as an out of touch ivory tower liberal.

All they want is a bully who shouts at the little guy and makes them feel like they're back on top of the social pile again. Pointing out that he's a gigantic rear end in a top hat looking to gently caress up the country is a good thing to them because he says he'll gently caress things up even more for the other guy and that makes it feel like a net win to them.

Everyone hammering away at Trump with "He backed down, he didn't negotiate a good deal, he let others tell him what to do" would start to poke holes in that bully image and once you take the wind out of a windbag there's nothing left.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

CalmDownMate posted:

"So now your trying to protect the lives of the muslim terrorists? I knew you were nothing but talk. You speak a lot but at the end of the day your not willing to actually do anything about the muslim problem. Your weak on Muslims. Weak."

"Who are you calling muslims? Innocent Israelis were threatened with violence. By not going I'm saving thousands of lives. You wish you could inherit that kind of power from your father kid. And now those rabid dogs are out in the open. Day 1 I'm bombing those cowards out of existence.

I'll bring the button to the inauguration."

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

fishmech posted:

On a good day sure, but not at loving night, or on overcast days, and changes in solar productive hours throughout the year exist. So then you'd need truly massive energy storage equipment, a severely upgraded and reliable transcontinental grid beyond what any area has seen before, and you're still causing environmental havoc by covering so much land.

Yeah, no poo poo it's not practical. I'm saying the theoretical output of covering, like, half of the Mojave could supply the US. And you're crazy if you wouldn't trade the Mojave for a true transition to zero carbon energy (again, I know this isn't technically possible).

CalmDownMate
Dec 3, 2015

by Shine
"Typical Trump all speech no action. Yeah we've heard politicians make promises in the past. Do you want to make america #1 than you do it now. You gave in to the demands of some terrorists. Is that the kind of guy we really want running this country?"

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

CalmDownMate posted:

"Typical Trump all speech no action. Yeah we've heard politicians make promises in the past. Do you want to make america #1 than you do it now. You gave in to the demands of some terrorists. Is that the kind of guy we really want running this country?"
(Trump ignores this, releases a Vine implying Jeb is a cuckold, goes up 3% in polls)

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

CalmDownMate posted:

[Hires Blackwater/Xe to execute an ISIS member.]

"What was that Junior?"

(This is fun, but I think we should drop the roleplaying)

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

SumYungGui posted:

All they want is a bully who shouts at the little guy and makes them feel like they're back on top of the social pile again. Pointing out that he's a gigantic rear end in a top hat looking to gently caress up the country is a good thing to them because he says he'll gently caress things up even more for the other guy and that makes it feel like a net win to them.
What's that study that says something like if you give someone a choice between getting a dollar, and getting five dollars while another person gets ten dollars, they'll take the one dollar instead?

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

CalmDownMate posted:

All that minus the police part would be sick as hell.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

That's a Gadsen flag, isn't it

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

SedanChair posted:

That's a Gadsen flag, isn't it

No, it's a false flag.

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science

JT Jag posted:

Then if you wanna have integrity as a journalist, show something that proves they are lying without outright calling them a liar, and then ask them to explain themselves.

They'll probably bullshit their way out of it, but at least you maintain your soul.

It has a lot to do with what is considered a "gotcha question". In the past it was a question where either answer would make someone look bad. Now the definition has been twisted to be when someone in the media asks a question, knows how the candidate will respond and has a pre-prepared rebuttal. Then the journalist is called out on it because the only reason to say a republican is wrong about something is if you are a liberal. Thus the sides are drawn.

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

Uh

quote:

@costareports: Breaking: National GOP leaders now preparing for a brokered convention, per multiple sources. 20+ huddled Monday w/ Priebus and McConnell

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

:stare:

:pray: Pleaseohpleaseohpleaseohpleaseohpleaseohpleaseohpleaseohplease!

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vmn9asN-8AE

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

That's really stupid. You have to at least wait until, ya know, a primary happens before you worry about this.

We don't know how many people who are happy to shout "WHOO YEA gently caress THE SAND PEOPLE" will actually drag their fat old asses through a lovely Ohio winter day to actually cast their lot.

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum
YEeSSS. :unsmigghh:

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

smg77
Apr 27, 2007

Isn't it a little early for them to be in full on panic mode?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

This seems slightly premature or are they tipping to Trump that they are going to ratfuck him at the convention.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Things are looking worse for Rahm Emanuel

quote:

An Illinois state legislator who introduced a bill that would allow Rahm Emanuel to be removed from office by a recall vote says city residents feel abandoned by the embattled mayor.

"We have not seen the tip of the iceberg yet," Rep. La Shawn Ford told CNN on Thursday, saying voters had lost "trust and confidence" in the mayor.

"People are hurt, people have died, people feel that they are forgotten about in the city of Chicago," the Chicago Democrat added.

Legislation drafted by Ford would revise a 1941 law and create a ballot procedure for voters in the city to petition for Emanuel's ouster. He said he hadn't wanted to introduce his recall measure but constituents were demanding it.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

zoux posted:

This seems slightly premature or are they tipping to Donald "Because I don't want to, Greta" Trump that they are going to ratfuck him at the convention.

They are 100% without a doubt going to ratfuck him if the worst happens

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Radbot posted:

Yeah, no poo poo it's not practical. I'm saying the theoretical output of covering, like, half of the Mojave could supply the US. And you're crazy if you wouldn't trade the Mojave for a true transition to zero carbon energy (again, I know this isn't technically possible).

I wouldn't trade that because it would probably have horrible climate and environmental effects, and again it still wouldn't actually supply the US because the sun ain't shining at night.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Tatum Girlparts posted:

They are 100% without a doubt going to ratfuck him if the worst happens

Yeah but you don't tell him that before hand.

TheDisreputableDog
Oct 13, 2005
As I said a few pages ago, they will definitely go brokered rather than let Trump win after what he said.

He won't win the republican nom

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

zoux posted:

True but not like we haven't had guys like Ryan getting out saying 'ha ha no, I'm in charge at the convention and I won't let Trump win' for a bit now. It's been a pretty open secret that as he got crazier and crazier the establishment got closer and closer to saying 'no you will not be our nominee I don't care if you win literally every primary'.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Toph Bei Fong posted:

It doesn't surprise me at all that Cruz is a debate team guy. I dealt with little shits like him all the time in Model UN.

A favored tactic was for our B-team, the one I was on, to drown out their talking by drawing circles on paper very loudly whenever these guys started going on, thus giving our A-team a better chance to push policy through. Actually shouting over them or whispering loudly would have been out of turn, but just taking notes wasn't illegal, you see. It didn't always work, but watching them get irritated that no one was paying attention due to the grind of the pencil echoing through the wooden table, then lose their carefully memorized point, then run out of time... Somehow none of the other teams ever did this, nor was our school ever penalized. Obviously this isn't something that Inskeep can do. It's more akin to a morning DJ playing fart noises and flushing toilets over their guest -- which, admittedly, would be kind of awesome for NPR to do with a completely straight face, as if they didn't know what was happening.

But yeah, all of Cruz's rehearsed mannerisms, the way he moves his hands, the completely memorized scenes from movies and TV shows, the insistence that he is never wrong because he is correct in this specific individual case that he is talking about... He's just grown into his father's oversized suit jacket.

I gotta admit I kinda like the tactic in how innovative it is.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Tatum Girlparts posted:

True but not like we haven't had guys like Ryan getting out saying 'ha ha no, I'm in charge at the convention and I won't let Trump win' for a bit now. It's been a pretty open secret that as he got crazier and crazier the establishment got closer and closer to saying 'no you will not be our nominee I don't care if you win literally every primary'.

I mean they're basically saying that the RNC is going to pressure delegates to ignore their own state primary results, right?

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!
Why trade the Mojave for zero carbon power, when you can get zero carbon power without sacrificing the Mojave?

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Tatum Girlparts posted:

And then we get our three-way general pretty much handing the presidency to Hillary. :getin:

zoux posted:

I mean they're basically saying that the RNC is going to pressure delegates to ignore their own state primary results, right?

But that's the thing: what leverage do they have when those delegates are the primary winner's own delegate slate? You can't broker a convention without, you know, brokers.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

zoux posted:

I think the implication is that if Trump gets a single vote less than an absolute majority in the primaries, they'll gently caress him over

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

zoux posted:

They would if they wanted him to feel like he's "being treated unfairly"

And they wouldn't tell Costa if they didn't want Trump (and the world) to know too.

scaterry
Sep 12, 2012

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/gop-preparing-for-contested-convention/2015/12/10/d72574bc-9f73-11e5-8728-1af6af208198_story.html

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Anyway I'd like to congratulate Hillary Rodham Clinton on being the first woman president of the United States.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

JT Jag posted:

I think the implication is that if Trump gets a single vote less than an absolute majority in the primaries, they'll gently caress him over
Also possibly if he gets more than that many votes

CalmDownMate
Dec 3, 2015

by Shine
If they really broker the convention it will tear the gop apart

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Crain posted:

[Hires Blackwater/Xe to execute an ISIS member.]

"What was that Junior?"

(This is fun, but I think we should drop the roleplaying)

Academi :eng101:

• Locked thread