Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Twat le Piss posted:

Well done Adelaide and MMG

:cheers:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moktaro
Aug 3, 2007
I value call my nuts.

Tongues posted:

I'm starting to think this crawley fellow might not know how to score goals

He misses to the left
He misses to the right
and when he's with his missus
he'll miss all fuckin night

Moktaro fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Dec 6, 2015

Tongues
Aug 28, 2009

But I think those are eyes...
(source)

Moktaro posted:

He misses to the left
He misses to the right
and when he's with his missus
he'll miss all fuckin night

That's the spirit. Are you one of those rarest rare breeds, the perth supporter?

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Quick, get the camera!

Tongues
Aug 28, 2009

(source)
Dang, i think we startled it

Tongues
Aug 28, 2009

(source)
Breaking allegations that the source of the banned list was the FFA media manager. No idea how legit it is, but if this true poo poo is about to get really ugly for Gallop and co, this would be outrageous incompetence at best or straight up suicidal tendencies from the FFA otherwise.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Suicidal tendencies from Australian sports administrators?

Never!

Tongues
Aug 28, 2009

(source)

iajanus posted:

Suicidal tendencies from Australian sports administrators?

Never!

This does seem almost too retarded, even for what we've become accustomed to.

Especially given all the "we'll probably never know where the leak came from" talk, if this is true we can all look forward to Clive Palmers rebel league making a comeback

Moktaro
Aug 3, 2007
I value call my nuts.

Tongues posted:

That's the spirit. Are you one of those rarest rare breeds, the perth supporter?

Nah, just an American who used to watch A-League when I could get it here. Sup bad league buddies. :v:

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

It must be nice to follow the league from abroad and not be affected by all the ffa drama bullshit but also you're watching a poor quality of foot with no real investment in it so idk

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete

Tongues posted:

Breaking allegations that the source of the banned list was the FFA media manager. No idea how legit it is, but if this true poo poo is about to get really ugly for Gallop and co, this would be outrageous incompetence at best or straight up suicidal tendencies from the FFA otherwise.

I'm not sure I'd give it much credence, those dudes are known cowboys

Tongues
Aug 28, 2009

(source)

Moktaro posted:

Nah, just an American who used to watch A-League when I could get it here. Sup bad league buddies. :v:

Good man. I watched the MLS cup and thought how good it will be when that Columbus Crew keeper finally moves on to the A-league and all becomes right with the universe.

Shmoses posted:

I'm not sure I'd give it much credence, those dudes are known cowboys

Yeah, that has become a bit more apparent in the cold light of day. Remarkable amount of litigation threatening being thrown around though, I had no idea it was apparently so easy to get done for libel

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete

Tongues posted:

Yeah, that has become a bit more apparent in the cold light of day. Remarkable amount of litigation threatening being thrown around though, I had no idea it was apparently so easy to get done for libel
Speaking of libel, you get a shoutout on the pod this week. We're largely defamation free except for when we discuss the kits at the Welly v Victory game

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete
The PFA's stadium ratings for round 9

quote:

Central Coast Mariners v Sydney FC
Venue: Central Coast Stadium
Overall pitch rating: 4
Pace: 5
Hardness: 5
Smoothness: 4
Atmosphere: 2
Weather: 4

Sydney FC v Newcastle Jets
Venue: Allianz Stadium
Pace: 4
Hardness:2
Atmosphere: 4
Weather: 2

Wellington Phoenix v Melbourne Victory
Venue: QBE Stadium
Overall pitch rating: 0
Pace: 0
Hardness: 0
Smoothness: 0
Atmosphere: 1
Weather: 0

Western Sydney Wanderers v Brisbane Roar
Venue: Pirtek Stadium
Pace: 4
Hardness: 4
Atmosphere: 1
Weather: 4

Adelaide United v Perth Glory
Venue: Coopers Stadium
Pace: 2
Hardness: 4
Atmosphere: 4
Weather: 1

:drat:

Tongues
Aug 28, 2009

(source)

Shmoses posted:

Speaking of libel, you get a shoutout on the pod this week. We're largely defamation free except for when we discuss the kits at the Welly v Victory game

:aaaaa:

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747
what loving chernoble child thought that having a roar home game in loving cairns was a good idea. gently caress you ffa

gently caress you lowe son of lowe

gently caress you bakri

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

i went to cairns for the first time a few weeks ago and theres fuckin nothing there, its smaller than dandenong or really any large auxiliary suburb

Tongues
Aug 28, 2009

(source)
Its all going on in Queensland, Robina just partnered with West Ham for something or other. Hopefully it goes better than CCM and Everton, or South Melbourne's Real Madrid connection - still no idea what it does but hey sure looks good on a press release

Tongues
Aug 28, 2009

(source)
Rough as gently caress ACL draw for A-league clubs, Victory got Group G with Suwong Samsung (Korea), the J-league runner up (I think Kasmina Antlers, but not sure), and another club from either China/Thailand/Malaysia.

Sydney got Group H with Guangzhou Evergrande, Japan 3rd club (Gamba Osaka?), and a club from either Vietnam/Hong Kong/Korea.

Adelaide will go through a play-off against clubs from China, India, and Singapore to qualify for Group F with Sanfrecce, FC Seoul, and Buriram United (Thailand).

Probably one of the harder draws for all the Aus sides, but I can see Sydney and Melbourne challenging for top-2 in the group, Adelaide looking way to lovely at the moment to get near it.

Twat le Piss
Aug 4, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Tongues posted:

Rough as gently caress ACL draw for A-league clubs, Victory got Group G with Suwong Samsung (Korea), the J-league runner up (I think Kasmina Antlers, but not sure), and another club from either China/Thailand/Malaysia.

Sydney got Group H with Guangzhou Evergrande, Japan 3rd club (Gamba Osaka?), and a club from either Vietnam/Hong Kong/Korea.

Adelaide will go through a play-off against clubs from China, India, and Singapore to qualify for Group F with Sanfrecce, FC Seoul, and Buriram United (Thailand).

Probably one of the harder draws for all the Aus sides, but I can see Sydney and Melbourne challenging for top-2 in the group, Adelaide looking way to lovely at the moment to get near it.

I'm dumb af (don't sign my posts, I know) I had completely forgotten that we were even in it, gently caress. GE will be a tough game to kick off with but I'm hoping to qualify based on the rest...but it's Sydney FC and we love loving things up so who knows

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete
I would like to forfeit all our ACL games tbh

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire
How much money do teams get out of the ACL? It's not anywhere near the European one is it?

I happened to be in Seoul while FC Seoul was playing a group stage match a few years ago and while I didnt' make it to the game, I was by the stadium as it was getting out and there was maybe a quarter of the people that could've fit in there present. I feel like it's not as big of a deal.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Gigi Galli posted:

How much money do teams get out of the ACL? It's not anywhere near the European one is it?

I happened to be in Seoul while FC Seoul was playing a group stage match a few years ago and while I didnt' make it to the game, I was by the stadium as it was getting out and there was maybe a quarter of the people that could've fit in there present. I feel like it's not as big of a deal.

Brisbane Roar lost money on it last time they were in it

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Byolante posted:

Brisbane Roar lost money on it last time they were in it

They're an Australian sports team, of course they lost money. There's something in the DNA of our administrators that just makes them either literally burn money or throw it into a bottomless pit at some point.

Tongues
Aug 28, 2009

(source)

Gigi Galli posted:

From the group stages onwards, teams get $40k for a win and $20k for a draw, it then increases for a win by $40k each round afterwards. Jumps up quite a bit to a $3 million if you win the whole she-bang, $1.5 million for the runner up. It isn't much for the bigger clubs in the competition (getting to the first qualifying round of the Europa league earns a side 200,000 euro, which isn't matched by the ACL until the semi final), but its double what it was in 2014. This is a large part of why it feels like it isn't a big deal, since plenty of sides will actually lose money through travelling (and lovely stadium deals for sides like Brisbane, where they need large crowds to not lose money on league games), and will not take it as seriously as they might. In the A-league the small squad sizes absolutely gently caress sides over because they run out of steam in the 2nd half of the season.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

Tongues posted:

From the group stages onwards, teams get $40k for a win and $20k for a draw, it then increases for a win by $40k each round afterwards. Jumps up quite a bit to a $3 million if you win the whole she-bang, $1.5 million for the runner up. It isn't much for the bigger clubs in the competition (getting to the first qualifying round of the Europa league earns a side 200,000 euro, which isn't matched by the ACL until the semi final), but its double what it was in 2014. This is a large part of why it feels like it isn't a big deal, since plenty of sides will actually lose money through travelling (and lovely stadium deals for sides like Brisbane, where they need large crowds to not lose money on league games), and will not take it as seriously as they might. In the A-league the small squad sizes absolutely gently caress sides over because they run out of steam in the 2nd half of the season.

I see, that doesn't seem like it'd be worth it for many clubs to even bother. Who are the biggest clubs in Asia anyway, the Japanese or Korean teams? I imagine the A-League must be close.

Tongues
Aug 28, 2009

(source)

Gigi Galli posted:

I see, that doesn't seem like it'd be worth it for many clubs to even bother. Who are the biggest clubs in Asia anyway, the Japanese or Korean teams? I imagine the A-League must be close.

Not by a long shot. From a monetary standpoint, the Japanese J-league, South Korean K-League along with various Chinese clubs from the super league are massive, and in China in particular you have multiple imported players on salaries worth multiple A-league clubs. The West Asian clubs in the Middle East can be even bigger, and there are a smattering of other clubs from the various leagues and countries that are surprisingly wealthy. I won't pretend to to know much about the West Asian sides, but the Korean and Japanese clubs tend to be made of technically gifted Koreans and Japanese supplemented with the occasional foreigner, Chinese (and to a lesser extent, Australian) sides tend to be less skilled citizens bolstered by a few foreign maestros.There are also a large number of well-supported South East Asian clubs that occasionally break into the ACL that I love seeing.

The problem is the huge heterogeneity across Asia, so even though you have comparatively large, powerful, and popular clubs (same as before, such as your Guanghzhou Evergrande in China and Al-Hillal from Saudi Arabia), your average sports fan might never know they exist. Soccer fans will when the ACL comes around, but you won't be seeing J-league or K-League highlights on sport shows in Australia unless there is some serious dead air (or a niche market that our public broadcasters might try and cater for).

Korean sides have won the most ACL championships, but no club has won more than 3 times in history. In my opinion, we're going to be seeing an arms race over the next couple of years between Guangzhou Evergrande and the West Asian sides (All-Hillal/Al-Ittihad) that can make their salaries, with the occasional dark horse from somewhere else popping up.

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete
I reckon FIFA should be considering splitting Asia into western and eastern conferences. Less insane travel and guaranteed entry to the WC for a couple of rich Middle Eastern nations.

Tongues
Aug 28, 2009

(source)

Shmoses posted:

I reckon FIFA should be considering splitting Asia into western and eastern conferences. Less insane travel and guaranteed entry to the WC for a couple of rich Middle Eastern nations.

I agree, but I can see Oceania getting swallowed up into East Asia and I'm not sure how they feel about that. It would end up shifting the travel problem further out east instead of solving it.

The biggest problem would have been how to divide up the WC berths since East Asian sides probably edge the West in quality but West Asia contains a lot of political influence at FIFA (for AFC, anyway). It might all be a wash if the world cup goes to 40 nations and a few more spots come our way

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete

Tongues posted:

I agree, but I can see Oceania getting swallowed up into East Asia and I'm not sure how they feel about that. It would end up shifting the travel problem further out east instead of solving it.

The biggest problem would have been how to divide up the WC berths since East Asian sides probably edge the West in quality but West Asia contains a lot of political influence at FIFA (for AFC, anyway). It might all be a wash if the world cup goes to 40 nations and a few more spots come our way

Hmm true. I'd prefer to keep Oceania and give them half a spot but yeah.

Also:

@MichaelHuguenin
Victory captain Carl Valeri is out indefinitely with an illness that's affecting his balance. Story up on @GoalAustralia shortly. #ALeague

:ohdear:

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Shmoses posted:

Hmm true. I'd prefer to keep Oceania and give them half a spot but yeah.

Also:

@MichaelHuguenin
Victory captain Carl Valeri is out indefinitely with an illness that's affecting his balance. Story up on @GoalAustralia shortly. #ALeague

:ohdear:

poo poo, I hope he is ok, ongoing balance issues usually means head cancer

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete

Byolante posted:

poo poo, I hope he is ok, ongoing balance issues usually means head cancer

Jesus Christ really

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Shmoses posted:

Jesus Christ really

Nearly everything I can think of that would cause a balance issue is something he would either currently be in ICU because of (some sort of brain/meningis infection) or you could reasonably state a returning date (some sort of inner ear infection) or would not be something you would expect an elite athlete to have an issue with (low blood pressure). Something with an indeterminate return date would make me think either complications from a concussion or cancer, both of which are scary as gently caress.

I hate everything south of the tweed but I hope he is ok.

Tongues
Aug 28, 2009

(source)
Well gently caress, hope it's nothing major. I heard rumours of a big falling out between Valeri and the coaching staff that didn't seem to be based on much - would actually be much happier if that was the case.

No let's all settle in for the Melbourne-envy derby

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

valeri has the darren fletcher disease but in his brain and not his guts

Twat le Piss
Aug 4, 2004

Grimey Drawer
pitch looks pretty nice at the coopers

Tongues
Aug 28, 2009

(source)
Zdrilla sounds more pissed than I am

Twat le Piss
Aug 4, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Tongues posted:

Zdrilla sounds more pissed than I am

hello friend, what are you drinking tonight?

Tongues
Aug 28, 2009

(source)

Twat le Piss posted:

Well apparently I've angered some dark diety because the only thing left in the fridge is some hipster gluten free beer.

Tastes like I'm ringing out someone's armpit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tongues
Aug 28, 2009

(source)

Twat le Piss posted:

Your poison tonight?

• Locked thread