Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

10.3.255.254 (it's a reflex at this point)

Broadcast is an address. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

10.0.0.1 :smug:
I use Mikrotik.

Mikrotik RouterOS counts backwards when assigning for some reason

Cisco does this as well.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

Crowley posted:

That... definitely would've been a wrong answer on an exam. Oops. I'm just to just leaving out the subnet and broadcast addresses with the way most of those questions are usually asked.

\/\/ Yeah, I realize now. Kinda glad that that sorta thing tripped me up so I'll be extra aware hereon.

Japanese Dating Sim fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Dec 10, 2015

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

That... definitely would've been a wrong answer on an exam. Oops. I'm just to just leaving out the subnet and broadcast addresses with the way most of those questions are usually asked.

Well that's because they usually say "usable address" That didn't specify.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Crowley posted:

I was so disappointed to see that someone beat me to the answer.

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive
Client got sent a drive from the manufacturer to replace a failed one in their RAID array. Instead they just used one that was "kind of the same" that they just had lying around.

It was, of course, not recognized by the array and they were really confused why :bang:

pr0digal fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Dec 10, 2015

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

pr0digal posted:

Client got sent a drive from the manufacturer to replace a failed one in their RAID array. Instead they just used one that was "kind of the same" that they just had lying around.

It was, of course, not recognized by the array and they were really confused why. :bang:

Did you explain what RAID does? Some people don't even attempt to think about it logically and think of it as a magical black box.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

pixaal posted:

If someplace gave me that for a role where I wasn't doing exclusively networking I'd seriously question everything about the interview process. If my hiring was related to the results I'd walk. If they just wanted to know how much "training" you'd need okay I guess. If they want you to know CISCO stuff then they should put CCNA as a requirement and just use that instead of giving a test.

As I've let my newly updated resume fly after enjoying the time off from my last garbage position, the difference between "CCNA preferred" and "CCNA required" seems to be a matter of which way the wind blows. I'm studying for my CCENT to get CCNA afterwards, but holy poo poo the jobs have simply been all over the place on wanting CCNA. I suppose it's due to my skillset/potential title as much as anything else. Infra engineer, sysadmin, availability + capacity management, I don't think any of those have a concrete definition anywhere ever that I've seen as of yet.

notwithoutmyanus fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Dec 10, 2015

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

notwithoutmyanus posted:

As I've let my newly updated resume fly after enjoying the time off from my last garbage position, the difference between "CCNA preferred" and "CCNA required" seems to be a matter of which way the wind blows. I'm studying for my CCENT to get CCNA afterwards, but holy poo poo the jobs have simply been all over the place on wanting CCNA. I suppose it's due to my skillset/potential title as much as anything else. Infra engineer, sysadmin, availability + capacity management, I don't think any of those have a concrete definition anywhere ever that I've seen as of yet.

Eventually they wont even know what they want beyond words they heard in passing, and say they want keyboard mages to make network work good.

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive

pixaal posted:

Did you explain what RAID does? Some people don't even attempt to think about it logically and think of it as a magical black box.

Dude who did it has replaced drives with me before, they just assumed that since it was a Hitachi 3TB drive that it would just work. All while the box with the correct drive was on their desk.

And in this case it's black with a red stripe cause it's Nexsan :v:

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.
"WOTBK, can you fix the Surface image so that it automatically pairs the pen device as part of the image? We want it to pair via bluetooth in a completely hands-off manner; as it stands we view this as a deficiency in the imaging process."

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Wrath of the Bitch King posted:

"WOTBK, can you fix the Surface image so that it automatically pairs the pen device as part of the image? We want it to pair via bluetooth in a completely hands-off manner; as it stands we view this as a deficiency in the imaging process."

The gently caress? Also have the image mow my lawn, thanks.

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.
Management views the "image" as a magical construct that can make the impossible possible.

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive

Management views the "image" as a magical construct that can make the impossible possible.

While you're at it could you have the image take care of ISIL? That would be great, thanks.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

"I understand but unfortunately this is not possible due to the structural deficiency of bluetooth technology as implemented by Microsoft. We will keep an eye on any improvements to make this possible in the future. Thank you, drive through."

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
I'm glad no one outside of IT here understands how this stuff works, just that it exists and they need to pay for it to be there.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

"This is Daniel, and his job title is 'Imaging'. He takes our standard image, applies it to the machine with our standard tools, and then does whatever rat-gently caress retarded thing you want done to your machine that you feel falls under the category of 'image'. His lofty 30k/year salary comes out of our critical parts replacement budget, so you oxygen thieves can think even less about your technology needs going forward. Please die in a fire, thank you."

Kashuno posted:

I'm glad no one outside of IT here understands how this stuff works, just that it exists and they need to pay for it to be there.

"Cloud".

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
Also, please fix the image so that it installs software based on the department the computer will end up in. And have it install the user profile of the new user, set up email, configure the signature for company standards based on what role they'll be in, and set the background to "Welcome *Employee Name!*"

Then have the image change the foldable cover on the Surface so it's color coded by department.

OH and if it's not too much to ask can you make the image so that the device releases a dove when the new employee first comes in to the office? We feel that a lack of perfectly timed dove releases is a weakness in the imaging process.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Also, please fix the image so that it installs software based on the department the computer will end up in. And have it install the user profile of the new user, set up email, configure the signature for company standards based on what role they'll be in, and set the background to "Welcome *Employee Name!*"

Then have the image change the foldable cover on the Surface so it's color coded by department.

OH and if it's not too much to ask can you make the image so that the device releases a dove when the new employee first comes in to the office? We feel that a lack of perfectly timed dove releases is a weakness in the imaging process.

Funny enough a lot of that can be done without too much hassle on pc's. I bet even the background could be done with a little bit of trickery.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

BGinfo could could likely do it. My companies pulls the username, but you could probably pull First Name Last Name.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Also, please fix the image so that it installs software based on the department the computer will end up in.
On this note, thank you whomever recommended PDQ Scan/Deploy a couple of weeks ago (maybe longer). It has made managing the clusterfuck of bespoke configs and ad-hoc "this laptop is now a CAD machine" decisions so much easier to deal with.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

IT blooper reel: teammate was demoing a Powershell script he wrote for terminations. User with first initial A and last initial C called in wondering why Outlook kept prompting him for credentials.

AD object was disabled, moved to Disabled Users OU, and Exchange account was disabled. Whoops!

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

A recruiter email came in for a dev position and lol at this REQUIREMENT, not even preferred:
- Dev 501 or the new Dev 2 certification

Yea sure whatever the gently caress that means. I looked it up, sales force has its own dumb cert, cool. Like I'm gonna do that instead of just learn any other language. when I grow up I want to be a salesforce developer! I also liked this line
- 5+ years Salesforce experience a developer

I guess it should be "as developer" but it still makes me laugh at how dumb it sounds at first and the bullshit requirements they are enforcing.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Wilford Cutlery posted:

IT blooper reel: teammate was demoing a Powershell script he wrote for terminations. User with first initial A and last initial C called in wondering why Outlook kept prompting him for credentials.

AD object was disabled, moved to Disabled Users OU, and Exchange account was disabled. Whoops!

I wrote a Powershell script for terminations that requires you to type the exact AD name and then confirm it, otherwise I figured I would accidentally fire the whole company at some point.

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

seriously where the fuck did this genre come from

Inspector_666 posted:

I wrote a Powershell script for terminations that requires you to type the exact AD name and then confirm it, otherwise I figured I would accidentally fire the whole company at some point.

Mine takes fields from a CSV (or did, until I found PSExcel) and one of them SHOULD be unique (HR#) but will check that and prompt if it finds more than one anyway, so it's been 100% accurate so far.... but I still hesitate a little before hitting enter, every time.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

hihifellow posted:

but I still hesitate a little before hitting enter, every time.
Never get comfortable in production.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Inspector_666 posted:

Disabling always leaves room for a fix to be made.

The thing to learn is NEVER DELETE. There is never a good reason to delete an active directory user/computer object.

unclenutzzy
Jun 6, 2007

hihifellow posted:

Mine takes fields from a CSV (or did, until I found PSExcel) and one of them SHOULD be unique (HR#) but will check that and prompt if it finds more than one anyway, so it's been 100% accurate so far.... but I still hesitate a little before hitting enter, every time.

thanks a ton for that, PSExcel looks bomb

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday

Sickening posted:

The thing to learn is NEVER DELETE. There is never a good reason to delete an active directory user/computer object.

Tell that to my AD domain, which is over a decade old, and has objects that haven't been touched/modified/used in almost as long. They were never disabled, moved, or deleted. I guess in case we find out we REALLY need that same server name for a server that was decom'd in 2009. Corporate policy was "just kinda forget the AD object exists".

I'm right there with you on "don't delete immediately", but if we've changed naming schemes more than once since the last time the object was touched, I think it can shuffle off this electric coil.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Sickening posted:

Yeah, the script doesn't delete anything, I made sure of that. The only things I delete in AD are test objects I've personally created.

unclenutzzy posted:

thanks a ton for that, PSExcel looks bomb

For serious.

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Dec 11, 2015

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Wizard of the Deep posted:

Tell that to my AD domain, which is over a decade old, and has objects that haven't been touched/modified/used in almost as long. They were never disabled, moved, or deleted. I guess in case we find out we REALLY need that same server name for a server that was decom'd in 2009. Corporate policy was "just kinda forget the AD object exists".

I'm right there with you on "don't delete immediately", but if we've changed naming schemes more than once since the last time the object was touched, I think it can shuffle off this electric coil.

Just disable the object and move it somewhere. I just can't think of a single downside to keeping an object. If you never need it again, great.

It also keeps things consistent. Really old stuff has very little chances of every being useful. Stuff that isn't so old has a better chance. If things are never deleted, simply disabled and moved, you run a better chance of not making a mistake yourself. Goes the same for other working in the environment.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Sickening posted:

Just disable the object and move it somewhere. I just can't think of a single downside to keeping an object. If you never need it again, great.

It also keeps things consistent. Really old stuff has very little chances of every being useful. Stuff that isn't so old has a better chance. If things are never deleted, simply disabled and moved, you run a better chance of not making a mistake yourself. Goes the same for other working in the environment.

Agree 100%,, there's literally no reason to delete stuff in AD, it's not going to poo poo up your environment to disable and move to a DisabledComputers OU or whatever, it's what we do, I have probably 1000 disabled objects, and the odd thing is, yesterday I had to revive one server that had been disabled for 2 years because a fire happened and the store closed, they are about to re-open using the same identifier! Not that I couldn't have created a whole new object without an issue, but whatever :)

Baxta
Feb 18, 2004

Needs More Pirate
I had an interview once where they wanted me to do ANDING to find total usable hosts when provided with ip and mask.

This was for a project manager position with .NET dev stuff.

EDIT: Just remembered 2^n -2! (I don't and never will work in networking nor have I ever gone for a networking job)

I'm certain a lot of companies go and get a questionnaire from somewhere else and just shrug "It's I.T."

Baxta fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Dec 11, 2015

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.

Baxta posted:

I'm certain a lot of companies go and get a questionnaire from somewhere else and just shrug "It's I.T."

Come to think of it. I saw their server room. They didn't have any Cisco products. The gently caress, job.

Baxta
Feb 18, 2004

Needs More Pirate

larchesdanrew posted:

Come to think of it. I saw their server room. They didn't have any Cisco products. The gently caress, job.

Calculate the bandwidth delay product of a 10Gb line with 1ms RTT. This will be required for administering our office 365 environment.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.
They have 3D printer some kid built from scratch that is busy printing other 3D printers.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost
I think I would be really confused if someone started asking me subnetting questions for a range that huge. Yea, having a understanding of how they work and why you'd use them is one thing, but doing poo poo that Cisco uses to simply pad a test is dumb.

Awhile ago, the help desk people were encouraged to start getting basic level certs, for some reason the supervisor thought they should get A+ certs. I said they'd be a lot better off with a Network+, as no one gives a poo poo about the A+, its not like they fix computers there. They were concerned that a Net+ was too difficult and anyone who did get it would probably leave.

I found out later that the supervisor had failed the Net+ a few times and resented it.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

CitizenKain posted:

I think I would be really confused if someone started asking me subnetting questions for a range that huge. Yea, having a understanding of how they work and why you'd use them is one thing, but doing poo poo that Cisco uses to simply pad a test is dumb.

Awhile ago, the help desk people were encouraged to start getting basic level certs, for some reason the supervisor thought they should get A+ certs. I said they'd be a lot better off with a Network+, as no one gives a poo poo about the A+, its not like they fix computers there. They were concerned that a Net+ was too difficult and anyone who did get it would probably leave.

I found out later that the supervisor had failed the Net+ a few times and resented it.

Lol I was informed I needed to get my server + despite having my rhce. Yeah I guess they're different but common sense tells me not to leave my coffee cup on the servers.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

jaegerx posted:

Lol I was informed I needed to get my server + despite having my rhce. Yeah I guess they're different but common sense tells me not to leave my coffee cup on the servers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ibgvkXm9Qkc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

And now I know how the server+ was born

• Locked thread