Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
Nah no Australian store although a lot of things ship here.

That one pisses me off because its sneaky as gently caress, I nearly paid that cause i saw shipping and handling was free and then well it wasn't. It doesn't say until the final step of the 4 step checkout process.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

International shipping is the worst. I got sent a few small chocolate things, I think I weighed them as 600g in total. It cost either $60 or $100 to send them from US to UK. They were worth about $30 in total, and were very nice but still... if I'd known I would've said to just leave it because that's 1/8 of a return flight for myself.

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy
I mean yeah paying money sucks but we are talking about sending items thousands of miles. I had to mail three sheets of paper in a folder to Europe and it cost $40, lol. You're never going to get free international shipping until we live in some far off future where energy is dirt cheap or free.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
I mean yeah it sounds to good to be true but then they have my postal address loaded and pull the suburb and country from it, still tell me its free, then keep saying its free right up until you press the final button to pay. Dodgy as gently caress.

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Very strong. Everyone likes me.
Looking for a strap for a 35mm rangefinder. Looking for something adjustable with minimal markings / logos etc. I really like the TAP & DYE leather straps but they're like $200. Anyone have one they really love?

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

Thoogsby posted:

Looking for a strap for a 35mm rangefinder. Looking for something adjustable with minimal markings / logos etc. I really like the TAP & DYE leather straps but they're like $200. Anyone have one they really love?

I use one of these for my bigger camera. not cheap but also not $200.
http://www.tannergoods.com/products/slr-camera-strap

I use a Gordy's for my smaller camera, customizable and considerably less expensive but not great for a heavier camera.
http://www.gordyscamerastraps.com/neck-horiz/index.htm

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

Thoogsby posted:

http://www.dsptch.com/collections/sling I really like these straps, not leather but they are pretty minimal and you can use them as neck-straps or slings.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

8th-snype posted:

http://www.dsptch.com/collections/sling I really like these straps, not leather but they are pretty minimal and you can use them as neck-straps or slings.
Same. I use one of these with my XT-1 and have been very happy with it.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
I'm looking for something messenger-baggy but smallish that can hold just a camera with its lens. It needs to fit an A7II and the Zeiss 35mm 1.4. Considering latter is comically huge, the whole package isn't that compact (total length of ~21cm/8.25in). I've come across the Case Logic DSM-101, but it can barely fit the thing according to the specs. I've also seen the Lowe Pro ProTactic shoulder bags, but I'd like something less conspicuous. Anything else I should be aware about?

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
Crumpler 5MDH.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
The specific model doesn't appear to be available in Europe, but they have plenty of other interesting models. Thanks for pointing them out.

--edit: Crumpler Jackpack 4000 it is.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Dec 11, 2015

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

Combat Pretzel posted:

The specific model doesn't appear to be available in Europe, but they have plenty of other interesting models. Thanks for pointing them out.

--edit: Crumpler Jackpack 4000 it is.

Get it off of aliexpress or ebay.

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".
Does anyone have any messenger bag/briefcase recommendations for hauling a DSLR around with your daily needs? Preferably something that has a laptop compartment (at least 15"), room for a DSLR with a smaller/average lens (eg 28-75mm), a few 8.5x11" papers, and odd pens, phone, ID card, etc.? Basically, I want a bag that I can throw all my normal work stuff in, but also carry my camera with me so I can take it out if the mood or circumstances strike me.

I was looking at this Tenba bag, but was wondering if there was something that was a little larger/slightly nicer and more robust. Reasonable waterproofness is a concern too. Willing to spend up to $200 or so.

http://www.tenba.com/products/messenger-photo-laptop-bag-large-olive.aspx

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Young Orc

LogisticEarth posted:

Does anyone have any messenger bag/briefcase recommendations for hauling a DSLR around with your daily needs? Preferably something that has a laptop compartment (at least 15"), room for a DSLR with a smaller/average lens (eg 28-75mm), a few 8.5x11" papers, and odd pens, phone, ID card, etc.? Basically, I want a bag that I can throw all my normal work stuff in, but also carry my camera with me so I can take it out if the mood or circumstances strike me.

I was looking at this Tenba bag, but was wondering if there was something that was a little larger/slightly nicer and more robust. Reasonable waterproofness is a concern too. Willing to spend up to $200 or so.

http://www.tenba.com/products/messenger-photo-laptop-bag-large-olive.aspx

If you are just gonna carry one camera and a lens or two get a timbuk2 messenger and a camera insert or wrap.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

EL BROMANCE posted:

International shipping is the worst. I got sent a few small chocolate things, I think I weighed them as 600g in total. It cost either $60 or $100 to send them from US to UK. They were worth about $30 in total, and were very nice but still... if I'd known I would've said to just leave it because that's 1/8 of a return flight for myself.

What kind of lovely country without decent cheap shipping do you live in? Unless you were trying to insure a loving piece of chocolate it would cost something like 10€ around here.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I said the countries in the post, was USA to UK. I sent the same box back with some bits in that was around the same weight and it cost me £10.

windex
Aug 2, 2006

One thing living in Japan does is cement the fact that ignoring the opinions of others is a perfectly valid life strategy.

EL BROMANCE posted:

I said the countries in the post, was USA to UK. I sent the same box back with some bits in that was around the same weight and it cost me £10.

If it's the USPS, the problem is mail disparity.

Lots of stuff ships from the U.S.

Little ships in.

The USPS pays other countries a small fortune under relevant postal treaties.

The other countries get effectively free postage into the U.S.

windex
Aug 2, 2006

One thing living in Japan does is cement the fact that ignoring the opinions of others is a perfectly valid life strategy.

windex posted:

The Lowepro messenger bags are generally pretty great, I own a 100 and 250 Event Messenger: http://www.lowepro.com/event-messenger

Just updating thread, after six months of near daily use, my Event Messenger 250 strap started seperating from the bag.

A couple of repair attempts later and the fabric on the side started giving out.

The strap is only anchored to a few inches of the side, so I gave up and just replaced it with a Tenba DNA 15, which has a freely rotating strap anchored down the whole side of the bag:

http://www.tenba.com/products/messenger-dna-15-graphite.aspx

Seems like a nice bag a couple days in. Will report back with a complete review in awhile, just wanted to note the failure of the other bag.

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."

windex posted:

Just updating thread, after six months of near daily use, my Event Messenger 250 strap started seperating from the bag.

A couple of repair attempts later and the fabric on the side started giving out.

The strap is only anchored to a few inches of the side, so I gave up and just replaced it with a Tenba DNA 15, which has a freely rotating strap anchored down the whole side of the bag:

http://www.tenba.com/products/messenger-dna-15-graphite.aspx

Seems like a nice bag a couple days in. Will report back with a complete review in awhile, just wanted to note the failure of the other bag.

Kind of surprising/disappointing. LowePro usually has good quality stuff.

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich
I got that $20 lowepro bag linked a page or two back. Pretty good for $20 but I can already tell where its gonna fail if/when it does.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

iSheep posted:

I got that $20 lowepro bag linked a page or two back. Pretty good for $20 but I can already tell where its gonna fail if/when it does.

My five year old lowepro small messenger has surprised me. The corners are worn through but no failure yet.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
I bought a billingham.

it's really nice.

It's surprisingly small but it can hold an inhuman amount of gear. It can hold my pentax 6x7, fuji gw670, nikon f3, and I still have room for more.

It's expensive and so are the accessories

The quality is outstanding.

a++ would recommend a++ a++ a++ a++

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Wild EEPROM posted:

I bought a billingham.

it's really nice.

It's surprisingly small but it can hold an inhuman amount of gear. It can hold my pentax 6x7, fuji gw670, nikon f3, and I still have room for more.

It's expensive and so are the accessories

The quality is outstanding.

a++ would recommend a++ a++ a++ a++

The build quality is really good too. I've had mine for about 4 years and it still looks really good condition.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

I'm laughing at the thought of carrying a p67, gw670 and an f3 at same time. There's a chiropractor somewhere rubbing his hands in excitement

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

Don't worry I also bought the shoulder pad.

(And the gw670 is actually really light)

Jimlad
Jan 8, 2005

Wild EEPROM posted:

I bought a billingham.

Billingham fans unite! Which did you get?

I use a Hadley small for day-to-day and travel, and a Packington for when I need to bring the big guns out or just carry random non-camera stuff. I use the Hadley far more, but both ooze quality (as they should for the price) and are very well thought out. The biggest selling point of Billingham to me is the fact that they actually provide good protection for the camera with thick, quality padding and good weather resistance alongside their brilliant quick-release silent fastening system that makes it a snap to get to the camera super quick.

The only other brand I've seen with decent padding like this is Crumpler and they don't have quite the same features - I've tried a lot of brands like Think Tank and Lowepro and they have this horrible, cheap plastic velcro padding that's scratchy and flimsy, or have features inside the bags that are rough or sharp which besides being annoying to scrape your hand against or will catch against the gear when putting it in or taking it out and doesn't inspire confidence in the protection.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

I got the Hadley Pro. The handle is useful.

The straps are the best part, they are completely silent and quick.

I'm sure lots of other bags can provide the same amount of protection, but not many can do that while also being silent, or not looking like a portable cooler, or not looking like a jock strap.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money
Black and Tan Hadley Pro here. I use it equally as my camera bag and my work bag.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
Billingham 307 w/gear. by B. B., on Flickr

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer
B&H has Think Tank Retrospective 20 (blue) for $100 off right now.

RCK-101
Feb 19, 2008

If a recruiter asks you to become a nuclear sailor.. you say no
Hey all. I'm planning a flight to Canada, and I just realized, my Amazon Basics bag (love it, its traveled across the eastern seaboard and across mountains), may not be able to travel with me as a carry on bag. Any suggestions for a good carry on bag that can fit 2 DSLRs, 2 flashes, and support equipment (chargers, batteries, et all)

windex
Aug 2, 2006

Ryand-Smith posted:

Hey all. I'm planning a flight to Canada, and I just realized, my Amazon Basics bag (love it, its traveled across the eastern seaboard and across mountains), may not be able to travel with me as a carry on bag. Any suggestions for a good carry on bag that can fit 2 DSLRs, 2 flashes, and support equipment (chargers, batteries, et all)

As long as you take your laptop out as your personal item on the flight, the Lowepro Magnum 650 AW has always managed to survived being crammed overhead for me. Sucks up almost exactly 1/3rd of most overhead bins on larger jets and is a tight squeeze vertically but quite secure once there. If you're on a canada air puddle jumper you are hosed.

Air Canada is a bunch of assholes about carry on weight though. I don't think I would try to haul that much on that carrier. Most U.S. carriers don't check or care about my 40-50lb camera bag.

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

Ryand-Smith posted:

I'm not familiar with the Amazon bag, but a quick search gave me the following dimensions: Outer dimensions: 11.5 x 7.2 x 15.6 inches

My wife and I have travelled all over the world (lots of Canada->US included) with two bags much bigger (14.2 x 9.1 x 20.9) dimensions without ever having to check our bags.

[edit]

quote:

Air Canada is a bunch of assholes about carry on weight though. I don't think I would try to haul that much on that carrier. Most U.S. carriers don't check or care about my 40-50lb camera bag.
Air Canada are indeed assholes, but so far I've never been checked for weight. This is a good thing because my pack weighs ~40 pounds.

InternetJunky fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Mar 8, 2016

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

What's a good messenger style bag for the fuji x-t1? I'm looking for a bag I can carry my camera, 2-4 lenses, and a small travel tripod around with me and pull it out if something peaks my intrest while I'm out doing errands and stuff. The bag I have now is kind of a pain to get the camera out and it's made for larger DSLRs so the body constantly shifts and moves around while I'm walking because the spot for the camera body is just too big to hold it snuggly

SimpleCoax
Aug 7, 2003

TV is the thing this year.
Hair Elf

Dr. VooDoo posted:

What's a good messenger style bag for the fuji x-t1? I'm looking for a bag I can carry my camera, 2-4 lenses, and a small travel tripod around with me and pull it out if something peaks my intrest while I'm out doing errands and stuff. The bag I have now is kind of a pain to get the camera out and it's made for larger DSLRs so the body constantly shifts and moves around while I'm walking because the spot for the camera body is just too big to hold it snuggly

I'm looking at getting a Tenba Cooper 8 or 13 slim for my xt-1 soon.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

windex posted:

I travelled internationally with Delta the other week, and as its a long trip my case was about 15lb overweight and should've gotten me a big charge. The lady saw my carry on (presumably the same Amazon Basics backpack you have, the one with the laptop slot at the back) and said because I was travelling light for carry on she'd let it go.

My backpack was probably the usual 40lb or so with 2 bodies, 6 lenses, flash gear, chargers, batteries etc. I'm so glad nobody has ever thought to weigh it.

I said thank you and managed to contain my grin.

Opioid
Jul 3, 2008

<3 Blood Type ARRRRR
I just got a Fuji X-t10. Looking for a small padded pouch I can throw in my normal backpack or bag that can house the camera with a lens attached + 1 extra lens for traveling. I don't want to have an entire second backpack just for my camera when it's small and only has 1 other lens. Any favourites?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Opioid posted:

I just got a Fuji X-t10. Looking for a small padded pouch I can throw in my normal backpack or bag that can house the camera with a lens attached + 1 extra lens for traveling. I don't want to have an entire second backpack just for my camera when it's small and only has 1 other lens. Any favourites?
B&H gave me this for free when I bought my X-T1:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/868302-REG/ruggard_phb_135b_hunter_35_dslr_holster.html

Seems alright for tossing in a bigger bag or just carrying alone. It's a tad big for mirrorless, but maybe perfect with an extra lens? Depending on which lenses you're talking about, it should handle one on the body and one extra. I can try when I get home with my 35/2 and 23/1.4.

Edit: they have a smaller "25" model as well but I dunno if that'll hold an extra lens too.

Star War Sex Parrot fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Mar 25, 2016

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Opioid posted:

Check out the Crumpler Haven inserts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UncleGuito
May 8, 2005

www.ipadbackdrops.com daily wallpaper updates deserving of your iPad

Opioid posted:

I just use a Domke wrap and throw it into one of my backpack's pockets. I wouldn't do that with a DSLR but it's been working out fine so far with my A6000.

• Locked thread