Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Gerblyn posted:

You could try making Spekkoek, it's a sort of dense, spiced caked that's popular in Indonesia and the Netherlands, and it requires an absurd quantity of eggs:

http://www.food.com/recipe/spekkoek-thousand-layer-spice-cake-144748
Te veel werk. ;)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dead lettuce
Sep 12, 2014

Don't eggs last at least 4-5 weeks in the fridge? I go through a lot of eggs though so I've never had to find out.

You could do quiche or a frittata for lunch/dinner, German pancakes, homemade pasta, macarons, crepes, deviled eggs, or hard boiled eggs for snacks/salads.

Nicol Bolas
Feb 13, 2009

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Communicate more with your butcher. You probably didn't get all the bones or organs or that stuff, which is valuable and good but which is normally not given to customers.

I absolutely would have if I had anything to do with it (and asked for the suet and bone too), but we split a cow 8 ways with a bunch of my husband's coworkers and I didn't even think to ask what would show up in my freezer until it did. Next time. Until then, lots of burgers and meatloaf and meatballs and pad prik king, and I am happily searching for other options if you have some on tap.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

AnonSpore posted:

Fresh egg pasta is amazingly great and eats up eggs like nobody's business.

Good idea, I think I have a very neglected pasta maker somewhere. (doesn't everyone?)

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

So baking and pasta it is.

Oh and some shakshuka of course.

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Hey guys! I'm having a good time, what about you?

I haven't gotten around to trying it for myself yet, but I had a similar question and someone here recommended Rakott Krumpli. It's a Hungarian dish that basically amounts to a bunch of potato, egg, sausage, and cheese (aka the best things) thrown together into a casserole dish.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

spankmeister posted:

So baking and pasta it is.

Make some menemen and eat it with fresh crusty bread

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

dead lettuce posted:

Don't eggs last at least 4-5 weeks in the fridge? I go through a lot of eggs though so I've never had to find out.

Even longer, maybe 2-3 months. If you're unsure, dip the egg in a cup of water. If it floats, toss it.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

spankmeister posted:

Made this for the first time last weekend, I've been missing out.

Anyone have a "one true" recipe?

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

My chickens just started laying eggs, and they are DELICIOUS. I can't wait until I have enough in a day to make a fresh pasta

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Paperhouse posted:

Make some menemen and eat it with fresh crusty bread

Mmmm good idea, I can get those Turkish green peppers easy here.

BraveUlysses posted:

Made this for the first time last weekend, I've been missing out.

Anyone have a "one true" recipe?

I think part of the idea of shakshuka is that everyone has their own take on it.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Steve Yun posted:

Even longer, maybe 2-3 months. If you're unsure, dip the egg in a cup of water. If it floats, toss it.

I'm just going by the use by date here but thing is that I had already bought more eggs than I usually do and then I got an extra box for free when I bought some cheese at the cheese shop. And those are fairly close to the use by date.

They're EU eggs so they do last longer than the bleached US ones iirc.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.
Useby/Best by mean nothing. Ignore them.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

spankmeister posted:

I have come in posession of a large (for me) number of eggs. Anyone have any good egg recipes so I can get rid of these without eating breakfast for three meals a day this weekend?

Cure the yolks. They'll last forever and you can grate them on top of stuff like pasta in the same way you would a hard cheese.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

I'm hosting a christmas dinner for about 10 people. Any recommendations for a vegetarian main dish that I can prepare ( or at least do most of the prep) the day before? I'll be baking duck the day of, and our oven is too small for anything else.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Fruits of the sea posted:

I'm hosting a christmas dinner for about 10 people. Any recommendations for a vegetarian main dish that I can prepare ( or at least do most of the prep) the day before? I'll be baking duck the day of, and our oven is too small for anything else.

If you really wanna impress, do Kenji's veg wellington :v:

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Do you have a link? Although the way you say it, I'm not sure it's a good idea..

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Do you have a link? Although the way you say it, I'm not sure it's a good idea..

http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2014/11/vegetables-wellington-the-ultimate-plant-based-vegan-holiday-roast-recipe.html

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

That looks amazing, but it would be my first experiment with phyllo dough and still not sure how I would find space in the oven alongside the duck. Will keep it in mind for the next time I have vegan friends over though!

Thinking some more about it, I may resort to ratatouille. It's not particularly christmasy but I can supplement with a red cabbage dish.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I basically did the serious eats method for thanksgiving. Salt and pepper, cooked it to 128f in a 170f oven. Took about 6 hours. Then rested it and finished with a searzall and quick reverse sear in a 550 oven. Was pretty much perfect. Served with homemade horseradish and a jus.

Great googily moogily.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

I'm giving this barley risotto out of the Jerusalem cookbook tonight. I'll report back.

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008
Since it's winter and I was in a rush at the grocery store, I grabbed a couple cans of whole peeled tomatoes but they were out of the kind I normally use. I usually buy tomatoes in juice but I noticed this is in puree. I wanted them to make both pizza and pasta sauces in the next few days. Should I rinse off the puree off of them when I open the cans or just pull them out and use them as usual? Fortunately when I looked at the label when I got home there is no calcium chloride so they should still break down fine for sauce.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

guppy posted:

I'm giving this barley risotto out of the Jerusalem cookbook tonight. I'll report back.

This turned out pretty well. It took a little longer to cook to our satisfaction and we used a little more stock and tomato puree than specified. Surprising amount of heat for 1/4 tsp of chili flakes. It would take you a little while to actually cook, but it doesn't need the oven, you can do the prep in advance, and you don't have to stir it much early on before most of the liquid has absorbed.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Would re-heating in the oven be an option? I think shepherd's pie is an appropriate dish for holiday feasts. You can make it with mushrooms or lentils, or maybe some tofu. I'd say it's christmas appropriate since it's got shepherd in the name and that's basically laced with lots of holiday imagery.

How about seitan? You can simmer/steam but I've only baked it. Don't try it if it would be your first attempt. Usually cooked first and then re-cooked again. Can be reheated in a lot of ways after initial cooking (sautéing, baking, simmering in sauce) and can be seasoned in a lot of ways as well.

Some kind of dumpling may work too, I quite like dumplings stuffed with tofu. If you make steamed ones like baozi I think they could probably be re-steamed fairly easily. I've frozen them before and microwaved them and they come out ok, but I bet re-steaming would do better.

Maybe just some good baked beans?

But definitely make something with protein in it, that's the trouble a lot of times as a vegetarian at a mostly omnivorous gathering: there's just lots of vegetarian starchy sides but nothing to satisfy that 'main dish' place. At least in my opinion, that's what I desire most out of holiday meals.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.

nunsexmonkrock posted:

Since it's winter and I was in a rush at the grocery store, I grabbed a couple cans of whole peeled tomatoes but they were out of the kind I normally use. I usually buy tomatoes in juice but I noticed this is in puree. I wanted them to make both pizza and pasta sauces in the next few days. Should I rinse off the puree off of them when I open the cans or just pull them out and use them as usual? Fortunately when I looked at the label when I got home there is no calcium chloride so they should still break down fine for sauce.

It's fine, use them as normal.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
I'm a dumb gently caress who doesn't cook at all. I want to learn though, to eat healthier and to not be an embarrasing manchild poo poo. For an idea of where i'm at skill wise, I can make eggs and probably? boil water. If you asked me to prepare rice or beans, i wouldn't know where to start. Is there a guide or tutorials or a place i can go that will fix me? I have access to a reasonably equipped kitchen

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst
I bought some dried chilies recently. I grabbed a couple of ancho chiles the other day and opened them up to clean out the seeds, and was surprised by small white bugs.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwHp3XuoFarecE9ZbzJiaG1yYVlaWWlkd01nUm9PSmRkTFJ3/view?usp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwHp3XuoFareNEl1RHlobDg2OUVIeGZtdmxzNVhQUmNPS2Vn/view?usp=sharing

How should I go about dealing with these? I'd be gutted if I have to throw away an 1lb bag of ancho chiles but it seems that all of them are infected so if I have to, I will.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Farg posted:

I'm a dumb gently caress who doesn't cook at all. I want to learn though, to eat healthier and to not be an embarrasing manchild poo poo. For an idea of where i'm at skill wise, I can make eggs and probably? boil water. If you asked me to prepare rice or beans, i wouldn't know where to start. Is there a guide or tutorials or a place i can go that will fix me? I have access to a reasonably equipped kitchen

I remember Delia got a lot of stick when she did her "how to cook" series, but it's actually a really good resource for the basics.

http://www.deliaonline.com/how-to-cook

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp

angor posted:

I bought some dried chilies recently. I grabbed a couple of ancho chiles the other day and opened them up to clean out the seeds, and was surprised by small white bugs.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwHp3XuoFarecE9ZbzJiaG1yYVlaWWlkd01nUm9PSmRkTFJ3/view?usp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwHp3XuoFareNEl1RHlobDg2OUVIeGZtdmxzNVhQUmNPS2Vn/view?usp=sharing

How should I go about dealing with these? I'd be gutted if I have to throw away an 1lb bag of ancho chiles but it seems that all of them are infected so if I have to, I will.

I'm not sure, but they look like larvae? Be sure to get it out of your house soon, in case they develop into flying bugs and you need to throw out every edible thing in your house (and no, I do not know what your bugs are, I'm just sketching a worse case scenario, lol)
Anyway, don't throw the bag away, take it back to the store, show them and get your money back (also so they can throw out the rest of their poo poo instead of selling it to another costumer)

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.
I gambled and lost on a bag of mysterious "jamon serrano" that was allegedly manufactured in Spain. It was actually manufactured in a paper mill and then dropped in a vat of old cooking oil. It was nasty, saltless, and tastes of old fat. It was also, however, fairly pricey (I'm in China) and I bought it at an import store that's an hour bus ride away. Any ideas how I could save it? I thought maybe adding more salt and then baking them crispy in the matter of prosciutto chips might work, but I don't know if it could mask the grody "old oil" flavor.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

bringmyfishback posted:

I gambled and lost on a bag of mysterious "jamon serrano" that was allegedly manufactured in Spain. It was actually manufactured in a paper mill and then dropped in a vat of old cooking oil. It was nasty, saltless, and tastes of old fat. It was also, however, fairly pricey (I'm in China) and I bought it at an import store that's an hour bus ride away. Any ideas how I could save it? I thought maybe adding more salt and then baking them crispy in the matter of prosciutto chips might work, but I don't know if it could mask the grody "old oil" flavor.

Chuck it out, seriously. :barf:

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
If the fat is rancid there's no saving it

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.
Man, I hate wasting food. :smith: Okay, thanks for saying what I knew was true but just didn't want to hear, goons.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Use it to make gutter oil and sell it to a street food stall.

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:
Can I use queso fresco instead of paneer? I want to use the cheese I have and I'm making Indian food this week.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Tastes should work but queso fresco is crumbly while paneer maintains its shape. If you don't mind that then go for it

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Steve Yun posted:

Tastes should work but queso fresco is crumbly while paneer maintains its shape. If you don't mind that then go for it

If you press queso fresco in cheesecloth overnight, it should slice and stay together pretty well, shouldn't it?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
The recipes for paneer and queso fresco look the same, so a squeeze is probably the only thing separating the two

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!
Nevermind!

Veskit fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Dec 14, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
I have about 2 quarts of pomegranate arils (seeds) in my fridge. What should I do with the rest? I already made juice out of their friends.