Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Decius posted:

Secret Wars #8 obv.

Alt-Terrax: Herald, United Nations Keynote Speaker, Shoe Goo. What a wild ride :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

youknowthatoneguy
Mar 27, 2004
Mmm, boooofies!

Senior Woodchuck posted:

That's not at all how it went. Peter David got assigned Supergirl, thought the whole "she's a shape-shifting clone of Lana Lang from a pocket dimension where there were another Superboy and Supergirl who were friends with the Legion" was too complicated, so he went with "she's an angel" instead. He did that for 50 issues, then she was just Linda Danvers with Golden Age Superman's powers. 25 issues of that, then he reintroduced Kara Zor-El as part of a plan to rebrand the book as "Supergirls" (with Power Girl eventually coming in as well), but it got canceled, so he wrote both Kara and Linda out of the universe. Nobody ever really mentioned any of it again; the next Supergirl was Lois and Clark's daughter from the future, and she only lasted about a year before DC brought back Kara "for reals".

Slightly off topic, but why the hell is the continuity in DC so much more convoluted than Marvel? Maybe I am seeing it differently since I lean towards Marvel comics though.

Majuju
Dec 30, 2006

I had a beer with Stephen Miller once and now I like him.

Boofchicken posted:

Slightly off topic, but why the hell is the continuity in DC so much more convoluted than Marvel? Maybe I am seeing it differently since I lean towards Marvel comics though.

Marvel's certainly not innocent, look at the Grey-Summers dynasty and try not to weep in despair.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Some characters are horribly ridiculous.

Look at Captain Marvel / Miss Marvel / Warbird / Binary / Carol Danvers (yes this is all the one person)

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Boofchicken posted:

It's a different kind of complex. DC reboots a lot. Marvel keeps continuity going and assumes everything is canon even when it makes no sense unless they explicitly remove it from canon.

Did you know Spider-Man once revealed his identity and then sold his marriage to Satan only for Satan to alter reality so he got hit by a brick so he didn't get married and then Spider-Man's friends helped him erase his identity which was somehow Satan's fault and that also erased Satan stealing his marriage except it didn't and all the events that happened to married Spider-Man still happened except the ones that didn't?

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Happens all the time.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Holy poo poo. Big time needs to be the villain in the next spiderman movie.

Also, whatever happened to Iron Jonah?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Ran out of juice when Tony showed up I think?

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.

ImpAtom posted:

only for Satan to alter reality so he got hit by a brick

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

ImpAtom posted:

It's a different kind of complex. DC reboots a lot. Marvel keeps continuity going and assumes everything is canon even when it makes no sense unless they explicitly remove it from canon.

Did you know Spider-Man once revealed his identity and then sold his marriage to Satan only for Satan to alter reality so he got hit by a brick so he didn't get married and then Spider-Man's friends helped him erase his identity which was somehow Satan's fault and that also erased Satan stealing his marriage except it didn't and all the events that happened to married Spider-Man still happened except the ones that didn't?

I think it's a little more than that. DC has a longer history, and due to it being decidedly more addled in the Silver Age, had a lot more baggage going into the '80s. DC also had to deal with things like acquiring the Charleston characters and reconciling the adventures of the Justice Society, so growing up on DC meant having to accept a lot more random craziness than Marvel.

Marvel's not immune to it. The X-Men as a franchise has a lot of convoluted time-travel nonsense thrown in, including something like three or four separate, threatening Bad Futures that never quite seem to be permanently averted; the history of Valeria Richards reads like a fever dream; and don't get me started on "The Crossing." One of the big changes in Quesada's tenure as editor-in-chief, however, was the "don't worry about it" clause, where they feel very free to ignore things that are terrible or which make no sense. Dan Slott seems to be the last real continuity cop left at the company, although Al Ewing on a good day can make some crazily deep cuts.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Wanderer posted:

I think it's a little more than that. DC has a longer history, and due to it being decidedly more addled in the Silver Age, had a lot more baggage going into the '80s. DC also had to deal with things like acquiring the Charleston characters and reconciling the adventures of the Justice Society, so growing up on DC meant having to accept a lot more random craziness than Marvel.

Too, Marvel began as a single universe from the mind of one guy (more or less), and during its formative years it was tightly controlled by the likes of Roy Thomas and Jim Shooter. DC's major characters were all created separately, with wildly disparate histories, and fitted together into a shared universe after the fact.

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?

Saoshyant posted:

Happens all the time.

I like that imagine that Jameson is just shouting "PARKEEEEEER!" as it rolls on past like nothing out of the ordinary is happening.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Saoshyant posted:

Happens all the time.
Maria seems to be a graduate of the Prometheus School Of Running Away From Things.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

Saoshyant posted:

Happens all the time.

Oh my God, I missed Big Time soooo much!:holy:

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

bunnyofdoom posted:

Holy poo poo. Big time needs to be the villain in the next spiderman movie.

Also, whatever happened to Iron Jonah?

That's right, now you're thinking about nude JJJ again.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Ghostlight posted:

That's right, now you're thinking about nude JJJ again.

Next: The reason why JJJ didn't go commando!?

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

ImpAtom posted:

So then this is canon!

wyntyr
Mar 27, 2006
If we are posting fake newspaper Spider-Man strips, then you've got to go with the most absurd one:

To this day I'll think of it and giggle.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Did the Spidey-Mephisto deal really involve a brick hitting him at some point? If so, hahahaha

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
I have no idea how to search for the drat things, but my favorite of the cracked doctored spider-man comic strips is the one where Mysterio is gay for Spider-Man, just because it gets exponentially funnier if you read it out loud with proper inflection and timing.

"Spider-Man...I'm gay...FOR YOU!" "NO!"

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

davidspackage posted:

Did the Spidey-Mephisto deal really involve a brick hitting him at some point? If so, hahahaha

(This dazes him and then he chases a criminal to the edge of a cliff where a brick breaks, sending the criminal tumbling down onto him and knocking him out so he misses his wedding.)

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice

Choco1980 posted:

I have no idea how to search for the drat things, but my favorite of the cracked doctored spider-man comic strips is the one where Mysterio is gay for Spider-Man, just because it gets exponentially funnier if you read it out loud with proper inflection and timing.

"Spider-Man...I'm gay...FOR YOU!" "NO!"

Were these from an SA thread or someplace else? I've only seen the JJ Limp Bizkit one before and now I need to see the rest.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

ibntumart posted:

Were these from an SA thread or someplace else? I've only seen the JJ Limp Bizkit one before and now I need to see the rest.

Like I said, early days of cracked. Like, just before they started getting to be a popular site years back.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice
Was this the strip you were talking about?

Looks like there's a collection here.

Dr. Hurt
Oct 23, 2010

Here's a link to all 20 of them. I remember finding them from somewhere else but that might have gone down.

E) Beaten like Spider-Man without a hard hat in a construction zone.

Cangelosi
Nov 17, 2004

"It's cute," he said to himself warily, "but it's not normal."
I heard somewhere there was a connection between these edited strips and the Youtube series SpiderDub. Is there credence to this?

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
The spiderman strip edits were done by Jay Pinkerton, who was an early Cracked writer/editor and now works for Valve.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

fatherdog posted:

The spiderman strip edits were done by Jay Pinkerton, who was an early Cracked writer/editor and now works for Valve.

"Hello? Sandvich? I am GAY. For YOU!"

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

ibntumart posted:

Was this the strip you were talking about?

Looks like there's a collection here.

Yes that's it exactly. The little "No!" at the end kills me each time.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Cabbit posted:

"Hello? Sandvich? I am GAY. For YOU!"

"My arch enemy a truck is a spy!"

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

Gavok posted:

"My arch enemy a truck is a spy!"

FAPPO!!

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

fatherdog posted:

They're still up on his website, if you want the original link to bookmark/share: http://jaypinkerton.com/blog/archives/000831.html

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I hope noone punches me in the face...

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Cangelosi posted:

I heard somewhere there was a connection between these edited strips and the Youtube series SpiderDub. Is there credence to this?

I am friends with the guy who did SpiderDub and he said he just started doing it one day, independent of those comics, but he does love them very much. He did some Johnny Quest and Batman, too.

They most likely sprang out of the YoutubePoop scene, he used to be pretty big into it while he was in film school.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.

ImpAtom posted:

(This dazes him and then he chases a criminal to the edge of a cliff where a brick breaks, sending the criminal tumbling down onto him and knocking him out so he misses his wedding.)

Wait, so Mephisto used two bricks on Spider-Man? The fiend!

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

FredMSloniker posted:

Wait, so Mephisto used two bricks on Spider-Man? The fiend!

The first brick took him by surprise, but the second brick took him by surprise! :v:

Metalshark
Feb 4, 2013

The seagull is essential.

This is pretty great.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Hahahah jesus

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

ImpAtom posted:

Also, didn't the aforementioned (non-powered) criminal somehow throw it at him, apparently hard and fast enough for Peter to not only not dodge it but actually daze him in the first place?

Plus I think the artist screwed up the chest Spider in this panel.