Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Ghostpilot posted:

At what point did countouts go from 20 seconds to 10? And why?

EugeneJ posted:

10 counts have always been a WWE thing - been that way forever

It's still 20 p much everywhere else besides WWE (and presumably TNA). Every Japanese and Mexican promotion I've seen does 20 as well as ROH.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
20 is far too long

Iron Chef Nex
Jan 20, 2005
Serving up a hot buttered stabbing

ICHIBAHN posted:

20 is far too long

Vince only has 10 fingers. he would loose count after that.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I can't even begin to imagine how Vince came up with "WWE style" matches - 10 counts, every punch has to be done 3 times, etc.

BlueArmyMan
Mar 30, 2007
Hooloovoo

ICHIBAHN posted:

20 is far too long

I feel like it equals out. Most places with a 20 count do it quick, whereas a WWE 10 count has huge pauses between each number.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

I wonder if the use of 10 counts in boxing had anything to to with the change?

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Thauros posted:

I wonder if the use of 10 counts in boxing had anything to to with the change?

Maybe it was a thing where they didn't want to confuse the MSG crowds that came for both boxing and wrestling

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Does Vince really hate people from the South or is Cornette overly sensitive

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I thought it wasn't Vince, but Dunn who actively wanted any hint of a Southern accent taken off TV.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Smoking Crow posted:

Does Vince really hate people from the South or is Cornette overly sensitive

Vince is friends with Donald Trump. I imagine he hates everybody and anybody who isn't a rich oligarch.

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool

Gonzo McFee posted:

Vince is friends with Donald Trump. I imagine he hates everybody and anybody who isn't a rich oligarch.

Vince also hates rich people though. At least the ones who are not carny-esque folk like him.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Gonzo McFee posted:

It's loving weird though. He's said he doesn't have much in common with other actual rich people and can't stand being around them but at the same time he wants to be a Respected Media Executive instead of a rasslin' promoter.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Jim's very right that Vince McMahon has a massive inferiority complex after growing up in a trailer park in North Carolina. Everything else he says is questionable.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
That attitude is pretty common among people who are vaulted into a higher socioeconomic class. He wants respectability but he has a measure of contempt for the snobs who excluded him despite his accomplishments in the first place. It's contradictory but not so weird.

OTOH if you believe Cornette, Vince has an inferiority complex that extends into most aspects of the way he does business.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Vince is a bizarre and fascinating person and it's a crime we'll never get the unauthorized Dave Meltzer written biography until Vince dies.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Gonzo McFee posted:

Vince is a bizarre and fascinating person and it's a crime we'll never get the unauthorized Dave Meltzer written biography until Vince dies.

The most compelling albeit sadly impossible wrestling book imaginable would be a Vince McMahon autobiography with complete and uncensored annotations by Dave Meltzer.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Thauros posted:

The most compelling albeit sadly impossible wrestling book imaginable would be a Vince McMahon autobiography with complete and uncensored annotations by Dave Meltzer.

Vince is an almost perfect real life Jay Gatsby so you could just read that.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Luigi Thirty posted:

It's loving weird though. He's said he doesn't have much in common with other actual rich people and can't stand being around them but at the same time he wants to be a Respected Media Executive instead of a rasslin' promoter.

ed: this is what i get for looking for an image

Discount Trombones
Jan 22, 2014

Gonzo McFee posted:

Pff, Vince will outlive that puny scoopsman, because Big Dave strayed from the true path of steak wraps and steroids.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

ayn rand hand job posted:

ed: this is what i get for looking for an image

I'm just glad that I'm not the only one who made the connection.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

The northeast is the Old Money, wherein your pedigree is more important than your riches. The McMahons will never fit in, because they are wrestling promoters (blech!) elevated from obscurity. The initial Triple H gimmick is partially a dig at these people.

Vince probably gets along with Trump because Trump historically doesn't have any respect for all that and Vince identifies with Trump's absurd underdog self-promotion. This all really came to the forefront when Linda was running for Senate and couldn't really get the northeast or national conservative establishment behind her even during a Republican wave year. In response, the campaign each time became outlandishly petty.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I don't think Linda lost because she couldn't get the Republican establishment figures behind her. Well, she did, but not because the other Republicans in her neighbourhood thought she was a sleazy hick.

Linda outspent her rivals by so much that she secured the Republican nomination despite well-founded complaints that she was essentially buying it. But while money is a huge factor in elections, you can't succeed with just a pile of money when you're a political unknown and haven't spent time making connections and making yourself visible. Basically, you can spend money until 100% of the public knows who you are and what your positions are, and then you hit a wall.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
Also lets be real here, Vince holds epic length grudges and for a long time Wresting very much had a North vs South rivalry with GCW/JCP vs WWWF/WWF.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Halloween Jack posted:

I don't think Linda lost because she couldn't get the Republican establishment figures behind her. Well, she did, but not because the other Republicans in her neighbourhood thought she was a sleazy hick.

Linda outspent her rivals by so much that she secured the Republican nomination despite well-founded complaints that she was essentially buying it. But while money is a huge factor in elections, you can't succeed with just a pile of money when you're a political unknown and haven't spent time making connections and making yourself visible. Basically, you can spend money until 100% of the public knows who you are and what your positions are, and then you hit a wall.

While it's not accurate to say it's the only reason she lost, to put it into perspective, the "establishment" in 2012 had sitting senators coming in to campaign for her primary opponent, Shays, after McMahon became the nominee. This type of thing combined with McMahon getting killed over wrestling's "optics" and her inept campaign meant she was about as doomed as you could get. McMahon was viewed as the anti-establishment candidate but even crackpots like Anne Coulter wouldn't get behind her.

If your fellow Republicans are whining about you "buying" a campaign when spending money on a campaign is what a winning candidate has to do, it means that somewhere in a back room the knives are out.

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

did her opponent ever bring up the fact that she was once kayfabe brain dead and paraded around while her husband openly cheated on her?

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Tweak posted:

did her opponent ever bring up the fact that she was once kayfabe brain dead and paraded around while her husband openly cheated on her?

The Trish Stratus stuff did come up, if that is what you are asking. Also Lance Cade died of an OD during the first election, resulting in more bad press.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

While it's not accurate to say it's the only reason she lost, to put it into perspective, the "establishment" in 2012 had sitting senators coming in to campaign for her primary opponent, Shays, after McMahon became the nominee. This type of thing combined with McMahon getting killed over wrestling's "optics" and her inept campaign meant she was about as doomed as you could get. McMahon was viewed as the anti-establishment candidate but even crackpots like Anne Coulter wouldn't get behind her.

If your fellow Republicans are whining about you "buying" a campaign when spending money on a campaign is what a winning candidate has to do, it means that somewhere in a back room the knives are out.
Well, to be clear what I'm saying, I think that Linda would have been at odds with the Republican establishment even if she had perfectly fit in to her rich Greenwich neighbourhood.

She took some of the steps expected for a businessperson who wants to get into politics--being on the state board of education, supporting some charities and universities, etc. But she'd never held elected office before and she was running against Republican congressmen for a Senate seat. As for the money, we're talking about a lot of money. Off the top of my head, I think she spent something like five times more than all her Republican rivals put together. (That's not counting the money that went into Stand Up for WWE, by the way.)

Last time this came up, someone asked if she might have done better in her home state of North Carolina. I think her candidacy would have gotten a chilly reception anywhere. If you look at other rich businesspeople who entered politics using their own money to fund their campaign, you'll find most didn't enter the political scene so abruptly.

The WWE-specific stuff hurt her image with the public, not just the proverbial country-club set or smoke-filled-room party leadership. She was only an anti-establishment candidate in the sense that she hadn't bothered to do the work to become part of the establishment. Her platform, what I remember of it, was the most boring list of stereotypical pro-business Republican talking points imaginable. It was remarkable in its blandness. It was clear that she was not a radical or a thought leader in any way, and that Linda McMahon ran for senator because Linda McMahon wanted Linda McMahon to be a senator.

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

The Trish Stratus stuff did come up, if that is what you are asking. Also Lance Cade died of an OD during the first election, resulting in more bad press.
The "tip-off memo" to Pat Patterson about Dr. Zahorian (sp?) also came up.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

DeathChicken posted:

Yeah, he was at Survivor Series the following year too on Dusty's team (where he managed to do better. Made it to nearly the end before losing to Big Bossman).

He was very much an afterthought addition to those teams. He spent the majority of his TV time wallowing around with Ronnie Garvin and Greg Valentine and occasionally getting squashed by the upper card.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

I worked at a newspaper while In CT that poo poo on Linda McMahon every single day in a front page article because my hyper-libertarian boss hated her so much. I think it's why the stand up for WWE poo poo started

The highlight was when it backfired and my boss caught a lot of poo poo for captioning a picture of like a body slam in motion as "a simulated homosexual act"

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

That DICK! posted:

I worked at a newspaper while In CT that poo poo on Linda McMahon every single day in a front page article because my hyper-libertarian boss hated her so much. I think it's why the stand up for WWE poo poo started

The highlight was when it backfired and my boss caught a lot of poo poo for captioning a picture of like a body slam in motion as "a simulated homosexual act"

Haha what was the source of the animosity? You'd think libertarians would love the wwe success story of keeping wrestlers from unionizing and maximizing profit through douchebaggery

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Aesop Poprock posted:

You'd think libertarians would love the wwe success story of keeping wrestlers from unionizing and maximizing profit through douchebaggery

It's essentially the same inferiority complex kind of thing as Vince has toward other rich people. Just like Vince hates that he's looked down on as a glorified hick, libertarians (I'm generalizing a bit, plenty of other libertarians are fine with him) hate that if they do everything the way they think is best, they're going to be following in the footsteps of a glorified hick.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

I'm pretty sure at first he just liked the other republican candidate more, but because of that they kept snubbing us for press releases and events and he was not about to take that standing down. Looking back it apparently got pretty vicious with threats of lawsuits and FOI complaints getting filed and poo poo. So we just had a guy who was pretty much assigned to the "trash Linda McMahon" beat.

tzirean posted:

It's essentially the same inferiority complex kind of thing as Vince has toward other rich people. Just like Vince hates that he's looked down on as a glorified hick, libertarians (I'm generalizing a bit, plenty of other libertarians are fine with him) hate that if they do everything the way they think is best, they're going to be following in the footsteps of a glorified hick.
This is correct also

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Linda McMahon loves to name drop herself.

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails
Good to see that we've solved the case and Vince McMahon is a huge libertarian hero

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
Linda was only ever taken seriously by ultra-believers who would have voted that way anyhow. I dealt with a shitton of the public here in CT during that time period, and the answer was always the same.

"Hah! That wrestling lady. No, no."

She never got any enthusiasm because none of us ever had any reason to vote for her, because aside from the WWE, there wasn't one. She couldn't run based on anything other than image and empty platitudes, so we all laughed at her and it just was a waste of everyone's time.

maniacripper
May 3, 2009
STANNIS BURNS SHIREEN
HIZDAR IS THE HARPY
JON GETS STABBED TO DEATH
DANY FLIES OFF ON DROGON
In the last mid term elections 94% of house races were won by those who spent the most money.
For the senate it was just above 80%

If the stat is true that Linda's campaign spent 5 times (5times, 5times, 5times, 5times, 5times) as much money as everyone in her race put together then we know one thing for certain.

The only thing more hosed up than the American political system was the idea that this woman could win a spot in it.

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

pink wasn't even a thing why is t#RXT REVOLUTION~!
and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
:sludgepal:
he knows..

Thauros posted:

It's still 20 p much everywhere else besides WWE (and presumably TNA). Every Japanese and Mexican promotion I've seen does 20 as well as ROH.

As far as I can tell AJPW has always and still does use a 10 count, and I seem to remember seeing some 80s NJPW stuff that did too but I might be wrong about that. Maybe an NWA affiliation thing.

Spermgod fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Dec 11, 2015

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

maniacripper posted:

In the last mid term elections 94% of house races were won by those who spent the most money.
For the senate it was just above 80%

If the stat is true that Linda's campaign spent 5 times (5times, 5times, 5times, 5times, 5times) as much money as everyone in her race put together then we know one thing for certain.

The only thing more hosed up than the American political system was the idea that this woman could win a spot in it.
Does "the most money" include the money they get in donations? Because that would imply popular candidates spend the most because they are popular to begin with, and would explain why all Linda's money did squat for her

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

St Evan Echoes posted:

Does "the most money" include the money they get in donations? Because that would imply popular candidates spend the most because they are popular to begin with, and would explain why all Linda's money did squat for her

There's no correlation between money spent and poll percentages in the Republican presidential primary this year. Jeb! has spent $30 million and is polling at like 3%. Trump has spent $500,000 and is at 30%.