Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

JB50 posted:

It was like a mini 9/11 reenactment.

I thought it was just hard core Jenga.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Say Nothing posted:

Edit: Where can I get a big chunk of caesium?

Don't drop it.

Fasdar
Sep 1, 2001

Everybody loves dancing!
On that note: Does anyone know of a good site or guide regarding chemistry glassware - namely, why everything always looks so fragile and dangerous and yet somehow obviously purpose built?

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Think of it like commercial bakeware, there are crappy measuring spoon sets made of micron-thin metal that sell for $1, and there are thick stainless steel sets that go for $30 but will last a lifetime. Both look about the same at a glance, but when you're actually handing them the difference becomes obvious.

Nerses IV
May 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Fasdar posted:

On that note: Does anyone know of a good site or guide regarding chemistry glassware - namely, why everything always looks so fragile and dangerous and yet somehow obviously purpose built?

A lot of them are blown glass, so they can't be too rugged. That's a big fuckoff ampoule, and those are usually pretty tough. You basically take a glass tube in an inert atmosphere, fill it with whatever you want, then torch off the end and let it cool to seal it. To open it, you snap off that bit at the neck and if it's well-made it'll be a clean break.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

That design above just looks destined to fail though. Drop it onto the tip and the narrowest/smallest part of the glass has to take the load. I trust you that they're sturdier than they look, because they don't look very sturdy at all. :v:

Nerses IV
May 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Separatory funnels were always a lot of fun in my chemistry classes. All the videos I can find involve people using them properly, I want to see one of the big fuckers explode from vapor pressure.

buttcoinbrony posted:

That design above just looks destined to fail though. Drop it onto the tip and the narrowest/smallest part of the glass has to take the load. I trust you that they're sturdier than they look, because they don't look very sturdy at all. :v:

I'm pretty sure they don't let you touch the $40,000 ampoule of pure caesium if you're the kind of person who's prone to the dropsies.

Nerses IV fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Dec 11, 2015

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Nth Doctor posted:

Don't drop it.

Put it in a box of rocks and throw it off a cliff into a lake!

Something like this...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HY7mTCMvpEM

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I'm pretty sure that Cesium ampule is specifically designed to break at that point, which you do under controlled conditions when you need to get the cesium out for whatever reason.

My wife has a sizable collection of lab glass. It's generally hand-blown, but of Pyrex or similar very strong glass. Some of it is made in molds, especially beakers and flasks. It's tougher than you might guess just by looking, althou you can definitely still break it if you're not careful.

Nerses IV
May 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I came across this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PC3o2KgQstA trying to find fun chemistry stuff.. Kind of makes that sulfuric acid + sugar trick look like babytown frolics.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Alternate title: How to make cthulu dookie

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Don't you also score the neck to ensure a clean break?

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Sagebrush posted:

It probably wasn't as bad as it appears. Lithium in water doesn't really "explode", it just burns quickly and brightly. The glass probably shattered from the heat, not from a detonation.

I'm guessing some lacerations from the glass and second-degree burns on his hands but no missing fingats. Maybe minor chemical burns too if he didn't deal properly with the lithium hydroxide he was producing.

Doesn't increasing the surface area of the reactants (in this case lithium and water) accelerate the reaction?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

And we're back on track.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

SynthOrange posted:

And we're back on track.

How do you make sure you don't get chunks of broken glass in whatever you're chemistry-ing?

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

Three-Phase posted:

How do you make sure you don't get chunks of broken glass in whatever you're chemistry-ing?

Just reach into the solution and pick them out like egg shells when you're cooking. Duh. :rolleyes:

Or maybe you just get good at it and don't open them over whatever it's being poured into. Probably results in less serious chemical burns and toxicity that way, too...

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I was just reading that and the answer is 'you dont'.

http://www.scielo.br/scielo.php?pid=S0034-70942011000400013&script=sci_arttext&tlng=en

SUMMARY

quote:

BACKGROUND AND OBJECTIVE: Glass ampoules have been widely used in packaging injection drugs. Glass has important characteristics that allow it to be widely used in fabrication of recipients for drugs and other sterile substances. However, contamination of solutions with glass microparticles on breaking open glass ampoules, the presence of metals, percutaneous injury, and biological contamination justify the need of educational materials to orient the manipulation of ampoules.

CONTENTS: Glass microparticles generated in the snap-opening of ampoules, as well as metals that contaminate their contents can be aspirated and injected through several routes. Exogenous contaminations by glass and metals can reach several sites in the organism. They trigger organic reactions that may give rise to injuries. Opening ampoules can expose professionals to the risk of percutaneous injuries. These lesions increase the biological risk as they are the gateway for viruses and bacteria. Ampoules opening systems (VIBRAC and OPC) have been developed to reduce the incidence of such accidents. Alternative materials to glass may represent an interesting strategy to increase safety. The use of prefilled syringes may represent an evolution regarding safety.

CONCLUSIONS: Team training and information provided by the pharmaceutical industry on the use of ampoules are fundamental in the prophylaxis of accidents and contaminations. The search for safer materials to replace glass is also important.

Contamination of ampoule contents with glass particles is common upon the opening of some types of ampoules. This has been observed and reported for a long time by the scientific community2. The small glass fragments may be injected through several administration routes. Anesthesiologists may administer these particles both intravascular and in the epidural and subarachnoid spaces. Glass particles may also carry some metals used in their manufacture1,3. Contamination by these tiny particles requires a long time for the development of injuries. Through animal studies, it was possible to demonstrate that infusion of glass microparticles resulted in pulmonary silicosis and nodular fibrosis of the liver, spleen, and the small bowel. These lesions resulted from mechanisms of foreign body reactions and embolisms4. It has been demonstrated that the main source of drug contamination by metals are their own packages. This is due to the migration of metal used in fabrication of ampoules into the recipient. Once exogenous contamination by metals (barium, aluminum, and others) occurs, they reach several sites in the organism5. Cellular defense mechanisms react to this aggression and as a consequence several toxic effects may be seen. The quality and intensity of the clinical manifestations are directly proportional to the toxic load and contamination time.

The number of glass microparticles that contaminate the solution in ampoules, upon opening, varies in proportion to the size of the ampoule and the opening orifice2. Strategies have been created in an attempt to avoid the administration of microparticles to patients. Some authors have investigated the use of filters in needles, as well as the use of smaller caliber needles. These studies did not demonstrate any evidence of protection. Nonetheless, it was possible to demonstrate that the use of filter syringe increased costs significantly, besides retaining some drugs, such as insulin and vincristine sulphate2,6,7. Some benefits on aspirating substances to be injected in the subarachnoid space have been demonstrated.

Approximately 6% of anesthesiologists had hand injuries from opening glass ampoules. Twenty-six per cent of these professionals had scars on their hands due to the same cause. With loss of continuity provoked by these injuries, skin contamination with blood and secretions allow a proper environment for the development of several infections13.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Don't worry, those aren't just used in chemistry, they're also used for certain medications in pharmacy. Have fun thinking of those microscopic chunks of glass as part of an iv.

In reality, you should expect that the chunks of glass do happen, but it's not a giant problem since you use filter needles to take the substance out rather than just dumping the contents

http://www.atitesting.com/ati_next_gen/skillsmodules/content/medication-administration-3/equipment/ampules.html

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
I remember hearing that some chemotherapy drugs (drugs that go into your bloodstream) need to be stored in glass because they will eat through a plastic container. :gonk:

Zeno-25
Dec 5, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Nth Doctor posted:

Don't drop it.

At first, I thought that was some kind of wacky radioactive quack medical device from the early 20th century because it looks like a buttplug.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Well yeah plastic isnt intert. The study I linked has more details on plastic as an alternative to ampoules and because it's not inert like glass it slowly reacts with drugs stored in it.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Seems like you're inevitably going to mess this up at some point; getting the tip in without touching the sides is easy enough, but then you have to keep the needle perfectly still while you're pulling back on the plunger. Is this easier than I'm making it out to be, or is there a trick I'm not thinking of?

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

buttcoinbrony posted:

Seems like you're inevitably going to mess this up at some point; getting the tip in without touching the sides is easy enough, but then you have to keep the needle perfectly still while you're pulling back on the plunger. Is this easier than I'm making it out to be, or is there a trick I'm not thinking of?

Well, medical doctors tend to be pretty goddamn steady and methodical, so it's probably not as big an issue as you're thinking.

Periodic Videos might not be OSHA but they sure make some big bangs, and hey they have a video involving an ampoule of cesium! TOPICAL

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b2YrZNahqiw

money shot ~2m if you're impatient

Tochiazuma
Feb 16, 2007

buttcoinbrony posted:

I manage it all the time using a blunt tip to fill fountain pen cartridges and I'm no medical professional

Womyn Capote
Jul 5, 2004

So just out of curiosity I figured that amount of cesium is worth about $41000 dollars. Also, what the gently caress happened to the price of this stuff in 1992?
http://minerals.usgs.gov/minerals/pubs/historical-statistics/ds140-cesiu.pdf

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Zeno-25 posted:

At first, I thought that was some kind of wacky radioactive quack medical device from the early 20th century because it looks like a buttplug.

Easy mistake to make.

mds2
Apr 8, 2004

Australia: 131114
Canada: 18662773553
Germany: 08001810771
India: 8888817666
Japan: 810352869090
Russia: 0078202577577
UK: 08457909090
US: 1-800-273-8255

Say Nothing posted:

A little research into alkali metals first might have helped.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uixxJtJPVXk

Edit: Where can I get a big chunk of caesium?

Holy poo poo.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

DONT CARE BUTTON posted:

So just out of curiosity I figured that amount of cesium is worth about $41000 dollars. Also, what the gently caress happened to the price of this stuff in 1992?

from that page:

quote:

From 1959–91, unit value data were estimated to represent the average price of various imported cesium materials of a weight magnitude of at least 1 pound. From 1992 to the most recent year, unit value data were estimated to represent the price of a 1-gram ampoule of 99.98-percent-pure cesium metal. Because of its high purity, 99.98-percent-pure cesium metal has a considerably higher unit value in comparison to the unit value of various cesium materials, such as cesium chloride and other miscellaneous cesium-containing materials.

They changed the unit of measure in 1992, that's why.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

E: welp.

DONT CARE BUTTON posted:

Well wiki says it's used in petroleum drilling fluids that were developed in the mid 90s, wouldn't surprise me if that's the reason.

Plus it's extremely electropositive, so like fluorine it's probably a bitch to isolate (wiki also says its compounds are "significantly cheaper" than the pure element) so that plus high demand = $$$.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Three-Phase posted:

I remember hearing that some chemotherapy drugs (drugs that go into your bloodstream) need to be stored in glass because they will eat through a plastic container. :gonk:

so will acetone but you can still stick your hand in it just fine (dont do this if you have an open wound it hurts like hell)

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

Raskolnikov38 posted:

so will acetone but you can still stick your hand in it just fine (dont do this if you have an open wound it hurts like hell)

Scientist man explains: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Rl2NI5MKRw

Make sure you wear

1.Safety goglies
2. Rubbly gloves

This ones good too, with star wars figures. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H1pn4bTAQWA

JB50 fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Dec 11, 2015

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Best part is 2:16.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Nth Doctor posted:

Don't drop it.

Huh, I guess Prometheus was more realistic than I thought

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

Fasdar posted:

American Scientific Glassblowers Society. They have some beautifully precise pictures of scientific glass on their Facebook.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Acetone dissolves contact lenses. If you don't wear eye protection and get acetone into your eyes while wearing contacts, the contacts will partially dissolve and fuse to your cornea. You'll then need to have them surgically removed.

goodness posted:

American Scientific Glassblowers Society. They have some beautifully precise pictures of scientific glass on their Facebook.

I once visited the glassblower's department of my univ's chemistry faculty. They made a face in a glass pipette and gave it to me. I still have the pipette man.

Carbon dioxide fucked around with this message at 11:01 on Dec 11, 2015

inokichi
Nov 3, 2005

buttcoinbrony posted:

It's easy enough with practice.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

JB50 posted:

Scientist man explains: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Rl2NI5MKRw

Make sure you wear

1.Safety goglies
2. Rubbly gloves

When I was a kid I once spilled acetone nail polish remover on my lap. Didn't hurt, but it eat a hole in my rayon underwear. That was pretty weird. Looking back, I can't help but wonder if letting little kids play with nail polish and nail polish remover wasn't a bad idea.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Angela Christine posted:

When I was a kid I once spilled acetone nail polish remover on my lap. Didn't hurt, but it eat a hole in my rayon underwear. That was pretty weird. Looking back, I can't help but wonder if letting little kids play with nail polish and nail polish remover wasn't a bad idea.

Acetone is pretty harmless. The worst it will generally do is dry out your skin.

Skinny King Pimp
Aug 25, 2011
Skinny Queen Wimp

buttcoinbrony posted:

They make stands that have an ampoule breaker and slots to hold them at an angle that allows you to withdraw whatever is in them easily.

It hurts like poo poo when you accidentally jam your thumb down on a shard of glass that broke off into the parafilm you used to seal an ampoule of formaldehyde or gluteraldehyde. Then you get to spend 20 minutes trying to get the bleeding to stop but also wanting it to bleed for a while just in case you got gross poo poo into your blood.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Carbon dioxide posted:

Acetone dissolves contact lenses. If you don't wear eye protection and get acetone into your eyes while wearing contacts, the contacts will partially dissolve and fuse to your cornea. You'll then need to have them surgically removed.

huh, well now i'm really loving happy I decided to go for glasses over contacts all those years ago

• Locked thread