Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Foehammer
Nov 8, 2005

We are invincible.

So if someone were to use the creative commons licensed images from the Dominion wiki, and then crop them into convenient resolutions for Dominion .NET, how taboo is that to share here? Asking for a friend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

T-Bone posted:

I really think Argent's complexity is vastly overstated. If you can play Kemet and Ciotw you can play Argent, so I would keep it in mind as an option (especially if your friend has experience with some other WPs).

Rules wise Argent is dead simple, the complexity comes from the sheer amount of stuff to keep track of (spells, treasures, supporters, all changing from round to round and some with every purchase, potentially different school layouts each game, etc).

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

StashAugustine posted:

Cardboard chits are the way, truth, and life

Gentlemen prefer wooden cubes.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Poopy Palpy posted:

There are only so many colours you can paint a wooden cube before they become difficult to distinguish. Cardboard chits are superior.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

Kai Tave posted:

Rules wise Argent is dead simple, the complexity comes from the sheer amount of stuff to keep track of (spells, treasures, supporters, all changing from round to round and some with every purchase, potentially different school layouts each game, etc).

Yeah there's definitely a lot of overhead. Everything does flow in a pretty natural/logical way, there's just a hell of a lot of flow.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Poopy Palpy posted:

Cubes are only acceptable if they have NATO symbology on them.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.

Poopy Palpy posted:

Cube this:

*backflips onto a fighter jet and flies away laughing*

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Foehammer posted:

So if someone were to use the creative commons licensed images from the Dominion wiki, and then crop them into convenient resolutions for Dominion .NET, how taboo is that to share here? Asking for a friend.

lmao just stick to the gis images like you already have been, it's not like we aren't all used to them from isotropic

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

Lichtenstein posted:

Cube this:

*backflips onto a fighter jet and flies away laughing*

I could beat your swords to ploughshares and give you Agricola.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Tumbled clear acrylic cubes like in The Gallerist's kickstarter bonus thing are so sexy.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Impermanent posted:

OK thread I feel like I've got a shitload of good euros on my shelf and probably am not going to buy another mediumweight euro for a while because I basically got the good ones now. It's only expensive imports of Food Chain Magnate and probably contributing to kickstarters for the reprint of Arkwright when that comes out. So now I'm asking a broader question: What are the best, simpler ameritrash games?

My roommate/friend from college wants to get Zombicide and man I'll play it if he gets it but my heart isn't in it because of the randomness (and I disagree with a majority of the design decisions.) I want maybe co-ops with nice presentation or miniatures games with big ol' appealing themes. Don't want it to be too random, but do want it to be accessible and like goofy fun.

edit: also I already have Mage Knight.

Maybe Cyclades?

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Happy page 666, hail Satan. What evil games are people playing to celebrate? After finals I will play Yomi as Menelker in honor of our dark Lord.

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl

Countblanc posted:

Happy page 666, hail Satan. What evil games are people playing to celebrate? After finals I will play Yomi as Menelker in honor of our dark Lord.

I'm trying to buy a copy of Cave Evil off a guy on BGG.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Countblanc posted:

I'm playing in a PBP of Dungeon Lords!

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

Pirate World: Nearly done!

Impermanent posted:

OK thread I feel like I've got a shitload of good euros on my shelf and probably am not going to buy another mediumweight euro for a while because I basically got the good ones now. It's only expensive imports of Food Chain Magnate and probably contributing to kickstarters for the reprint of Arkwright when that comes out. So now I'm asking a broader question: What are the best, simpler ameritrash games?

My roommate/friend from college wants to get Zombicide and man I'll play it if he gets it but my heart isn't in it because of the randomness (and I disagree with a majority of the design decisions.) I want maybe co-ops with nice presentation or miniatures games with big ol' appealing themes. Don't want it to be too random, but do want it to be accessible and like goofy fun.

edit: also I already have Mage Knight.

Blood Rage is legitimately a Good Game, but also involves smashing ace models of Vikings and monsters together.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

The closest I've gotten to playing games recently is describing Bohnanza beans to my 3-year old daughter.

'What's this?'

'That's a wax bean.'

'Oh... What's this?'

'That's a stink bean.'

etc.

It's one of my most played games recently. :yaycloud:

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Countblanc posted:

same but puzzle strike

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
Same but Quince. The Hell of Bureaucracy

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

Countblanc posted:

Capitalism games.

Durendal
Jan 25, 2008

Who made you God to say
"I'll take your sheep from you?"

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm going to play solitaire Hanabi and cheat a lot to get a perfect score.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

I like Betrayal at House on the Hill and based on comments from other threads I'm about to be told why I'm wrong.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

DStecks posted:

I like Betrayal at House on the Hill and based on comments from other threads I'm about to be told why I'm wrong.

There's nothing wrong with liking bad games.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
It's a fine game if you want a narrative experience and don't care about your decisions mattering. You may not like having to worry about that in games and if so you're the target audience and hey bro like what you like. You might also like Eldritch horror if you want a similar ish game but with a little more complicated decision making.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
I really wanted to play Tragedy Looper tonight, but I've been informed that a fifth person is attending.

I might try to make it work anyway.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Teaching two and playing our first four-person game of Suburbia tonight. Hope it goes ok!

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Taking Carcassone, Dominion and Camel Up home for the holidays. Actually figured out that I can pack Carc and Dominions into the smaller Carc expansion boxes, except for the scoreboard. May have to print out a foldable one.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

DStecks posted:

Liking bad games is a-ok — no pleasure is greater than a guilty one.
What's frowned upon is thinking bad games are good just because you like them.

Jinkeez
Dec 31, 2008

SilverMike posted:

Don't get this one if you want decent. It's basically a series of 50/50 flips with some dice luck thrown in for good measure. You call various Run or Pass defenses and if you get it wrong you usually give up a 1st down even if you called one of the moderate defenses.

1st & Goal is alright for what it is, but yeah, it's so super-light. It has less strategy than Tecmo Bowl - everything besides choosing the play you're going to run hinges on the draw of the cards and the roll of the dice... It's more like watching a football game than coaching one.

That said, I confess to having a copy on my shelf because for some reason, it's the only dice-heavy game I've ever played where I can consistently roll poorly without really feeling too badly about it.

e: Also, the dice could be a lot better. The referee die looks too similar to one of the others, I can't remember which, but I'm constantly accidentally reaching for it. The team dice sets, disappointingly, are stickered.

Jinkeez fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Dec 11, 2015

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Evil Mastermind posted:

Is there anything out there that scratches the ol' Blood Bowl itch?

I don't really think there is anything out there. I've said this all before but man, I wish there was a violent sports game that could include the risk management parts of Blood Bowl, aka One Big Reason Why Blood Bowl Is A Good And Fun Game.

Oh yeah, last time I dug around the web for games like Blood Bowl, I came across Grind. Wow, this game looks like a gigantic turkey.

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

You wait for the war to happen like vultures.
If you want to help, prevent the war.
Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.

Tippis posted:

Liking bad games is a-ok — no pleasure is greater than a guilty one.
What's frowned upon is thinking bad games are good just because you like them.

Actually according to the long-winded comment section of SU&SD, bad design is subjective and even if it wasn't it's a-ok as long as you have fun!

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

Mediocrity: the standard of survival!

Big McHuge posted:

Actually according to the long-winded comment section of SU&SD, bad design is subjective and even if it wasn't it's a-ok as long as you have fun!

He said the forbidden word!

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Impermanent posted:

It's a fine game if you want a narrative experience and don't care about your decisions mattering.

That's sort of what helps it work, though. Betrayal is a great game for people of different skill levels to play because you can't meaningfully get good at it, but you still feel like you're making strategic decisions and planning things out. Like, my brother-in-law is crazy good at board games, I don't even like playing Catan with him any more because he always wins, but in Betrayal the winner is pretty hugely dependent upon luck without it feeling obviously luck based.

Yeah it's a terrible design if you're playing it to win, but as something that, say, the cousins can all play together without anybody feeling useless or anybody dominating the game too hard, it's pretty great.

bobvonunheil
Mar 18, 2007

Board games and tea
We haven't seen Cosmic Encounter on SUSD's top 50 yet, here's hoping they finally realised it's dogshit.

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

You wait for the war to happen like vultures.
If you want to help, prevent the war.
Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.

bobvonunheil posted:

We haven't seen Cosmic Encounter on SUSD's top 50 yet, here's hoping they finally realised it's dogshit.

After wading knee deep into that shitpile earlier in the week, I'm fairly confident it will be in the top 3.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

DStecks posted:

That's sort of what helps it work, though. Betrayal is a great game for people of different skill levels to play because you can't meaningfully get good at it, but you still feel like you're making strategic decisions and planning things out. Like, my brother-in-law is crazy good at board games, I don't even like playing Catan with him any more because he always wins, but in Betrayal the winner is pretty hugely dependent upon luck without it feeling obviously luck based.

Yeah it's a terrible design if you're playing it to win, but as something that, say, the cousins can all play together without anybody feeling useless or anybody dominating the game too hard, it's pretty great.

Source your quotes.

Roluth
Apr 22, 2014

Anyone have any opinions on Steampunk Rally? Looks like a pretty interesting time-waster at least.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Countblanc posted:

Gonna see if I can get some Batista action in Cuba Libre once Christmas break starts

DStecks posted:

Thematically and mechanically it's totally different but this is what I really like about Codenames- someone who isn't Good At Board Games can still meaningfully contribute but there's still a large element of skill in the game.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

StashAugustine posted:

Thematically and mechanically it's totally different but this is what I really like about Codenames- someone who isn't Good At Board Games can still meaningfully contribute but there's still a large element of skill in the game.

The thing about Codenames is that, in my experience playing it thus far, it's often just as enjoyable to lose as to win. Games are either neck-and-neck affairs where things go down to the wire or someone fucks up in hilarious ways, everyone has a laugh, and the next round is set up in 30 seconds. Losing in Betrayal often feels arbitrary and like a huge anticlimax. I can't say I really have any fond memories of the time we played Betrayal and because of a bunch of random chance the traitor/survivors steamrolled the other side.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.

Roluth posted:

Anyone have any opinions on Steampunk Rally? Looks like a pretty interesting time-waster at least.

It's pretty great actually. A drafting game with some actual mechanical complexity in how you build your machine and strategy in when to push and when to play it safe.