Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

Fangz posted:

The Man in the High Castle isn't really a realistic alternate history at all, but I still like its portrayal for how it captures the mad ambition of the Nazis, in a way that stuff like Fatherland doesn't.

I prefer the new wolfensteins for that, since it also features interactive Nazi killing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands
I bet Italy was just thrilled to go from a centrally located series of ports in the middle of some of the busiest trade routes in the world to New Switzerland.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Tomn posted:

I bet Italy was just thrilled to go from a centrally located series of ports in the middle of some of the busiest trade routes in the world to New Switzerland.

Hey, you can still be in the middle of some busy camel routes across the Mediterranean salt flats!

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
The average depth of the Mediterranean is ~1500m and it's 3.5% to 4% salt by mass.

Napkin math, if you evaporated it all you'd average out to 53-60 kg of salt per square meter of reclaimed land, fukkin lol

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Pellisworth posted:

The average depth of the Mediterranean is ~1500m and it's 3.5% to 4% salt by mass.

Napkin math, if you evaporated it all you'd average out to 53-60 kg of salt per square meter of reclaimed land, fukkin lol

But then Atlantropa would control the world's salt markets! Just think about that!

...with no viable means of transporting those millions of tons of salt to an actual sea port.

But at least there's the hydroenergy part, the Gibraltar dam was supposed to cover a third of Europe's electricity needs.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
What doesn't seem to be answered anywhere is what they do with the water once it gets past the dam. Won't it just really slowly refill the Med anyways?

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?

HEY GAL posted:

not alfred bester from the tv show, alfred bester from the old rear end books

also everything's about the holocaust

Bester has a short story that does time travel okay in which the Nazis are book-burning aryan thugs in castles and the cool kids that aren't nazis are mole people that can read and aren't huge assholes riding lizards.

Or something. Bester is great. Draining the Med just sounds like a good way to get a whole fuckload of rotting fish-flesh in a giant basin.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Arquinsiel posted:

What doesn't seem to be answered anywhere is what they do with the water once it gets past the dam. Won't it just really slowly refill the Med anyways?

IIRC it evaporates faster than it flows in once the water gets shallow enough.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Nenonen posted:

The idea, as crazy as it was, was actually promoted by a German architect.

Atlantropa

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IwxPvvcHIpc

It's scary to think that in some alternate universe they really did this.

That's not about farming but creating an artificial gradient to make gently caress off huge hydro electric plants

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

If you want crazy Nazi architecture, go for the Volkshalle.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Ah yes, the Nazi "has its own weather systems" dome.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

wdarkk posted:

Ah yes, the Nazi "has its own weather systems" dome.

Speer said everyone's breath would create clouds and rain inside, but I'm not sure how scientifically verified that is.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

wdarkk posted:

IIRC it evaporates faster than it flows in once the water gets shallow enough.
That just sounds like it's going to cause a whole pile of other problems really.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

chitoryu12 posted:

Speer said everyone's breath would create clouds and rain inside, but I'm not sure how scientifically verified that is.

There are several existing buildings where that happens so it's not so far out.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

The Germans were really uncomfortable with the fact that they didn't have enough farmland to remain self-sufficient. If you weigh the options, draining the water out of part of the Mediterranean sounds less insane than draining the Poles out of Poland.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

SlothfulCobra posted:

draining the water out of part of the Mediterranean sounds less insane than draining the Poles out of Poland.

Said no one, ever. Genociding people to steal their farm land is as old as agriculture.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

SlothfulCobra posted:

The Germans were really uncomfortable with the fact that they didn't have enough farmland to remain self-sufficient. If you weigh the options, draining the water out of part of the Mediterranean sounds less insane than draining the Poles out of Poland.

Cyrano4747 posted:

Said no one, ever. Genociding people to steal their farm land is as old as agriculture.

My earlier napkin math was shamefully wrong by several orders of magnitude when I got curious and double checked it in Excel, evaporating the entire Med means you are dealing with ~6000 kg / m2 of salt.

That is equivalent to a layer of salt 28m thick covering the whole basin.

So I think genociding all Slavs is a much more reasonable proposition than doing anything useful with drained Mediterranean land.

Hitler was right.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Would it absolutely HAVE to be evaporation?

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
I'm continuously amazed that people talk about countries and people like they are just flat blobs of color on a 2D map, like it was some big game of Civilization. Everything from "a growing German population needs more farmland" to "Iraq's oil wealth will pay for its own liberation". Sutff that gets talked about regularly as if they were anything other than nonsense dreamed up by insane autistics. Boy all those Germans/Japanese sure starved to death or whatever the gently caress they thought would happen when their desperate struggle for world conquest failed huh.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Arquinsiel posted:

I don't even want to think of the energy required to pump that much water.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Arquinsiel posted:

I'm not sure what you mean. The idea is based on the specific geography of the Med, it has very limited exchange with other bodies of water and across narrow/shallow straits. So you block off Gibraltar and the sea level drops because you've turned off the tap coming in from the Atlantic, Med evaporates to where inflow = outflow.

You can't feasibly pump it anywhere, that would require enormous amounts of energy and I don't see how the pumping rate is going to exceed evaporation in situ so you're still going to get (literally) tons of salt deposited.

I'm happy to continue on this but don't really want to derail the thread with :techno:

Raskolnikov38 posted:

yea

Plus you're moving the salt somewhere else. Hypothetically let's block Gibraltar and magically pump the Med into the Atlantic. Even diluted into the Atlantic that's an enormous amount of salt and probably gonna gently caress up thermohaline circulation* and thereby global climate.

*Density differences caused by temp and salt (salinity) are the main thing that drives global ocean circulation and heat exchange. Think the Gulf Stream that keeps Europe unusually warm and temperate for its high latitude.

Splode posted:

pump the salt water into space, easy. You can even split it into rocket fuel for your nazi moon base.

Salt water is extremely corrosive so I am totally down with space Nazis trying to make use of it

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Dec 11, 2015

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak
pump the salt water into space, easy. You can even split it into rocket fuel for your nazi moon base.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Pellisworth posted:

*Density differences caused by temp and salt (salinity) are the main thing that drives global ocean circulation and heat exchange. Think the Gulf Stream that keeps Europe unusually warm and temperate for its high latitude.

I assume we're completely loving the climate beyond repair anyone by getting rid of the mediterranean.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Pellisworth posted:

I'm happy to continue on this but don't really want to derail the thread with :techno:
I think the idea has just made me want to try find the absolute best way to fail at attempting the impossible and I'm trying to work out how to move the water without leaving the salt behind in some capacity.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Arquinsiel posted:

I think the idea has just made me want to try find the absolute best way to fail at attempting the impossible and I'm trying to work out how to move the water without leaving the salt behind in some capacity.

pump it somewhere at a faster rate than evaporation

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Arquinsiel posted:

Could you dump some chemical into the water to precipitate the salt out as some non-water soluble compound?

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Cyrano4747 posted:

Could you dump some chemical into the water to precipitate the salt out as some non-water soluble compound?

Not really, that's why the oceans are loaded with salts. They're super soluble so they pretty much stay there.

Edit: I went to get some groceries and on the way I came to the conclusion the only solution is to shade the entire Med with a fabulous Nazi parasol to block the sun and prevent evaporation. Then use the limitless energy generated by Gay Black MechaHitler's dilithium reactors to pump the water somewhere else.

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Dec 11, 2015

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
This derail is really long and silly at this point.

But. If the Mediterranean was to be evaporated, the salt content really won't just fall down in place, you realise? The sea will instead steadily shrink into the deeper parts of the ocean, becoming more and more concentrated, etc. In some places you will end up with mountains of salt, yes, but shallow areas will be relatively uncontaminated.

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?
Why do you even need Mediterranean farm land when you own Ukraine?

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

OctaviusBeaver posted:

Because you're trying to turn your entire female population into aryan baby factories.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

OctaviusBeaver posted:

The Nazi Germany in the book is basically MAXIMUM HITLER. Insatiable, horrific, and also completely successful in everything they put their minds to. The Mediterranean stuff is mentioned in passing next to the purging of Africa for corpses for chemical components, and the development of colonies on Mars.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Dec 11, 2015

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

OctaviusBeaver posted:

Because they can.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
It's an enormus solar panel, uses the sun to pump (evaporate) water out of the Med and top off the Atlantic.
Drain, excavate, and dam the Levantine and extend the Nile to Greece? But I'm pretty sure lesbian black Adalwolfa Hitler wouldn't be satisfied until the Nile runs to Berlin.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Nazi science is full of ludicrous concepts. At least this one has more grounding than most of their master race garbage. If it worked for the dutch, why not for the deutsch?

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Raskolnikov38 posted:

One of the crazy "dam the Mediterranean" plans had a huge canal dug through Libya so the water would drain into a new lake in the middle of Africa.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
If there's some free computer time this weekend I'll see if I can run a model on what draining the Med would do to the global oceans forward a hundred years, just for funsies

(it's not gonna be pretty)

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Pellisworth posted:

If there's some free computer time this weekend I'll see if I can run a model on what draining the Med would do to the global oceans forward a hundred years, just for funsies

(it's not gonna be pretty)

It'll be a nice addition to the usual threadchat, I look forward to it.

Now, when President Trump gets elected, how about his plan to expand the Med until it reaches the Persian Gulf? No more Moslems?

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
The more I read, the more it seems like stupid, unhealthy hatred of Medditeranean becausegently caress your poo poo, sea

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

It'll be a nice addition to the usual threadchat, I look forward to it.
Honestly it's not very likely I'll be able to run any models, and they'd be mostly for comedy value. It's not really my specialty and the only coupled ocean/atmosphere model I'm familiar with is used for paleo stuff, so is not really applicable in this era of man-made fuckery. Also there are a lot of other researchers doing actual science who have priority on the cluster computing, but maybe over the holidays for giggles.

I mostly lurk in this thread but am happy to sperg out about ocean stuff. Like if sub warfare goons wanna talk about the SOFAR channel or something https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SOFAR_channel

Sorry for any excessive derail, I won't continue on Nazi Salt-land

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

What if... you blew several nukes, causing a nuclear winter so that the Med would freeze, then you airlift the gigantic ice block with a million helicopters?

Cyrano4747 posted:

That's not about farming but creating an artificial gradient to make gently caress off huge hydro electric plants

Those all were part of Sörgel's plan. He also wanted to somehow irrigate the Sahara desert so that European colonists could spread to Africa.

Also notice the London-Dakar-South America rail line :eyepop:

• Locked thread