Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Totbot
Oct 4, 2013

Brain In A Jar posted:

I think I can honestly say that as an idiot who paid full price for Wildstar at launch, it was still a better purchase than HoT turned out to be.

I know this thread is big on the HoT hating right now, but worse than Wildstar?

The game where your character could bug out during the stupidly long and grindy attunement chain, and the Dev's response was "sucks to be you, roll a new character".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Pesterchum posted:

Would it, though? I spent a lot of time dicking around in TG just trying to find hero points and could not handle the whole different elevations thing. I'll admit this could be a personal failing of mine

It's a personal choice/perference. For me, it would, yes.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Totbot posted:

I know this thread is big on the HoT hating right now, but worse than Wildstar?

The game where your character could bug out during the stupidly long and grindy attunement chain, and the Dev's response was "sucks to be you, roll a new character".

Wildstar leveling experience was actually pretty fun(didn't care for raids so I never did the attunment)

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007
It also had a bed with a video camera attached to it, so there's that.

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

I can't imagine what adding hearts would do to making TD easier to traverse.

Pesterchum
Nov 8, 2009

clown car to hell choo choo

Illuyankas posted:

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. I sort of have a handle on most of the zone now but hanging around teaching ogres how to raise pets better wouldn't have made it any easier. There's just too many caves and tunnels and too many elevations

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Adding hearts was more about adding more fixed points for XP for Masteries.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Illuyankas posted:

It wouldn't. Adding hearts would give some direction to progress through the zone, and would give something pve to do outside the meta event, that I could do at my own pace. It has nothing to do with the ease of traversing the zone for me.

Erdricks
Sep 8, 2005

There's nothing refreshing like a sauna!
SAB. The perfect game mode. Scaling difficulty, great reward balance for time/effort, a fun little progression system with real metroidvania potential.

RIP.

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G
Super Adventure Box is never coming back!

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

The trick to doing Tangled Depths is to not loving bother until you have Nuhoch Wallows. They make getting around between events a lot easier. Still a lovely zone though and I am really dreading have to farm it for like 3 days straight to get all my ley line sparks.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

I've been saying for years that Anet should just shut down GW2 and work on a SAB MMO.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

CLAM DOWN posted:

It wouldn't. Adding hearts would give some direction to progress through the zone, and would give something pve to do outside the meta event, that I could do at my own pace. It has nothing to do with the ease of traversing the zone for me.

You know, it's weird. I never really liked hearts.

But god drat it, I want something I can do at my own pace in HoT once I finish the story, and if it's hearts then that's fine by me. The events just aren't fun after a couple of repeats and endless meta-event failures because I couldn't taxi into a good map, and as much as I like fractals I'm tired of the ones we have.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

CLAM DOWN posted:

And then you complete the hearts and then what? you still got to go back there a dozen more times, but then you'd have nothing to do.
There is a lot more to randomly find and do in tangled depths compared to the others, yeah, it's very very frustrating to travel until you personally have every cave memorized, but there are a lot of events that pop up and plenty of chests to find, I can usually grab 5 chests in 2 minutes and sometimes I get a rare reclaimed weapon worth 15g or 28 ley crystals.

Ra Ra Rasputin fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Dec 11, 2015

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

And then you complete the hearts and then what? you still got to go back there a dozen more times, but then you'd have nothing to do.
There is a lot more to randomly find and do in tangled depths compared to the others, yeah, it's very very frustrating to travel until you personally have every cave memorized, but there are a lot of events that pop up and plenty of chests to find, I can usually grab 5 chests in 2 minutes and sometimes I get a rare reclaimed weapon worth 15g or 28 ley crystals.

It would be more to do than there is now, and give a sense of progression that I got from the Tyria zones. And because I'm never going to be able to memorize paths or locations in TD, I'm just as likely to waste time wandering around dying and finding nothing than I am to find chests. So my personal desire is, to have something like hearts in it, which I know will never happen.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
There is always getting there after a map reset and doing the event chains from start to finish.

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013

CLAM DOWN posted:

It would be more to do than there is now, and give a sense of progression that I got from the Tyria zones. And because I'm never going to be able to memorize paths or locations in TD, I'm just as likely to waste time wandering around dying and finding nothing than I am to find chests. So my personal desire is, to have something like hearts in it, which I know will never happen.

That poo poo doesn't happen in a vacuum, there wouldn't be more to do because some of the other stuff got put aside to make hearts. Instead there'd be less to do cause hearts are not repeatable. And dumb.

America Rocks
Mar 23, 2007
I'd be much happier with the new meta events if they would add matchmaking features other than the open world pve queue. These maps are basically raids with 60-100 man groups, except you can only get in by trawling through a queue full of random crap looking for "DS org", hoping it pops up and you can join within 5 seconds before the group fills, then screaming in frustration as you get "world is full".

Just do this: everyone who joins a DS map gets placed in the instance with the highest number of people that isn't currently capped. Maybe raise the threshold for the "your map pop is low, volunteer?" button so that it pops up when your DS is at 50/150 or something. Or hell, let us look through a list of DS maps by ID, show the number of players in each, and let us join by map instead of searching for party.

The point is, these new maps don't function as maps - they function as giant raids. I'd prefer if it wasn't that way, but that's how they are right now. Everything is Tequatl but without the rest of Sparkly Fen to explore. At least make them function decently as raids.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Brain In A Jar posted:

I've burnt out almost completely on the mastery xp grind. I used to love logging in and playing this game but doing the same adventures, and the same events, over and over and over with no other option for parallel pve progression has driven me to the point where I log in, open my chest, ask if anyone's doing anything fun in gchat, and when the answer is inevitably 'no', I log out again.

I think I can honestly say that as an idiot who paid full price for Wildstar at launch, it was still a better purchase than HoT turned out to be.

PS: The 2 hour Dragon's Stand meta is a loving abomination, especially since they backload all the xp to the Mouth kill. Don't have two hours to sit on your rear end and follow plodding yaks through waves of enemies and two copy/pasted minibosses? Too loving bad because joining an in-progress instance that isn't a trainwreck is basically impossible, and god forbid the client crash mid-way through and you weren't in a group (though this has been largely mitigated by squads).

Dragon's Stand is like Teq but you have to turn up 90 minutes early instead of 15 and it is possibly the worst thing in the game at the moment.

With Dragon stand, if you joined a semi decent map it should take a hour to reach mordremoth.

With the mastery exp I'm on the opposite end, I unlocked everything in HoT via popping exp boosters from wvw dailies as metas and hero trains finish up, right now I really want a repeatable track because now my exp isn't even going into spirit shards anymore, not that they were useful, but I just want a bar to slowly fill up over and over, yaknow?

America Rocks posted:

I'd be much happier with the new meta events if they would add matchmaking features other than the open world pve queue. These maps are basically raids with 60-100 man groups, except you can only get in by trawling through a queue full of random crap looking for "DS org", hoping it pops up and you can join within 5 seconds before the group fills, then screaming in frustration as you get "world is full".

Just do this: everyone who joins a DS map gets placed in the instance with the highest number of people that isn't currently capped. Maybe raise the threshold for the "your map pop is low, volunteer?" button so that it pops up when your DS is at 50/150 or something. Or hell, let us look through a list of DS maps by ID, show the number of players in each, and let us join by map instead of searching for party.

The point is, these new maps don't function as maps - they function as giant raids. I'd prefer if it wasn't that way, but that's how they are right now. Everything is Tequatl but without the rest of Sparkly Fen to explore. At least make them function decently as raids.
That's a valid criticism about how the maps fill, they never seem to fill themselves before opening up newer maps, you need to taxi in or get taxi'ed so your map isn't lacking people to get things done.

Ra Ra Rasputin fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Dec 11, 2015

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

malhavok posted:

That poo poo doesn't happen in a vacuum, there wouldn't be more to do because some of the other stuff got put aside to make hearts. Instead there'd be less to do cause hearts are not repeatable. And dumb.

Less of the other stuff, and more casual pve content I can do at my own pace like for example hearts, in the HoT zones, would be awesome to me :)

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

malhavok posted:

That poo poo doesn't happen in a vacuum, there wouldn't be more to do because some of the other stuff got put aside to make hearts.

Alternately, they could've just put more content in the xpac.

ExHumus
Aug 30, 2006

BOOM BOOM!!

Generic Octopus posted:

Alternately, they could've just put more content in the xpac.

Right, because all they have to do is decide to add content and *POOF* there it is.

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

ExHumus posted:

Right, because all they have to do is decide to add content and *POOF* there it is.

Doing more work to produce more content is akin to magic?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Generic Octopus posted:

Doing more work to produce more content is akin to magic?

Only when it isn't for gem store skins.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
The main complaints I'd levy against the expansion as someone who has done everything in it.

• Lack of things to do if you can't commit time.
  • Needing to make heavy use of LFG to taxi into good maps when there should just be a dropdown list of active maps to join with player counts.
  • Only being the same start to finish event chains, then as soon as you do everything and succeed, the instant it's morning in verdant brink every soldier dies and their fortified camps explode like they used vampires as the construction material.
  • Central Tyria masteries being locked behind the expansion, want to be rewarded fully and progress fully through vanilla content like fractals or want access to auto loot? better be sure to buy the expansion to not get locked out of content you've already been doing, want to make the same gold you did just running dungeons before? better do the expansion areas.
  • Big red BUY THE EXPANSION HERE clogging up the screen if you didn't buy it.
  • I actually like the mastery unlocking new shortcuts, but it shows it's flaws if you try to do things with random people or friends new to the expansion and they lack the necessary masteries to reach the same area, and they are either stuck outside a door or fall to their death because they just barely can't reach the updraft.
  • Besides the obviously forgotten about thief, every single elite specialization is just a straight upgrade to the class and no third traitline can compete with the free skills added to your arsenal not even counting the traits inside might actually be really good too, it feels like powercreep and essentially your locked into 2 trait choices instead of 3 unless your one of the few specs that's better off without it like condi engi/necro because the lines don't offer much for conditions.
  • The game not being designed around having dedicated healers and strong AOE heal skills, it just straight up breaks SPVP because of bunkers healing eachother or making lords unkillable in stronghold, stronghold was actually kinda fun in the beta, before everyone had elite specializations and a couple druids or tempest could keep the lords alive forever, this coming from someone who likes playing healers.

That said, I still play it every day and make the currency numbers go up.

Ra Ra Rasputin fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Dec 11, 2015

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

That said, I still play it every day and make the currency numbers go up.

same but down

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

The main complaints I'd levy against the expansion as someone who has done everything in it.
[list]
[*]Needing to make heavy use of LFG to taxi into good maps when there should just be a dropdown list of active maps to join with player counts.
This may not be a fix but it'd be an actually good workaround to the current problems with HoT meta events.

Pesterchum
Nov 8, 2009

clown car to hell choo choo

CLAM DOWN posted:

I've got no real love or hate of hearts but I agree, the meta is garbage and there's not much else to do there once you have exploration. Maybe if they added hearts but more like those adventures without the lame locking out period. Just places for interesting challenges and world building you could do once a day without hoping someone has run a chain of tedious events to unlock it, that sounds nice.

Lonk
Jan 26, 2012

LET'S FUCKING GOOOOOOOO
Guild Hall's pumpkin penis is gone. Everyone get out SFD is dead now. Dead game abandon ship. You people and ANet have robbed me of all hope.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

ExHumus posted:

Could have just gave us old content and sat on the expansion for a bit. :shrug:

Alteisen fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Dec 11, 2015

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Lonk posted:

Guild Hall's pumpkin penis is gone. Everyone get out SFD is dead now. Dead game abandon ship. You people and ANet have robbed me of all hope.

We can rebuild him. We have the technology.

Brain In A Jar
Apr 21, 2008

[GOON] will be retaliating with a yonic masterpiece, stay tuned.

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde

Lonk posted:

We hit the decoration cap and couldn't be hosed deleting 1000 chairs

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

i found a Cool Trick it involves reaching 100% or more participation in a map then going afk, this will give you Periodic rewards while you are doing important things that arent video games

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Reddit found the cause of HoT

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
So is the Airship Essence, that costs 100 Airship Parts, bugged or is it supposed to only unlock the airship merchant tab for only one day.

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

So is the Airship Essence, that costs 100 Airship Parts, bugged or is it supposed to only unlock the airship merchant tab for only one day.

It was bugged to do this exact thing and then they supposedly fixed it, so I guess it's bugged again?

Amante
Jan 3, 2007

Hearts were only added in the first place to give people used to other MMOs something familiar. The game is fine without them, as evidenced by Orr and the newer (but not bad like the expansion) areas like Silverwastes.

My problem with the design of the expansion is how everything seems to be about meta events, currency, and grinding now. Exploration takes a back seat when your rewards for doing so are near non-existent compared to old zones, and the game is constantly trying to distract you from whatever you're doing so you'll participate in the big meta event of the zone. It says a lot to me about how badly designed the expansion is that the "solution" is to event grind for a while till you're at 100%+ participation and THEN you can relax and explore the zone at your leisure... just don't change maps or crash, or you get to do it all over again!

I suppose this was ArenaNet's way of masking how little content the expansion really has: gate everything behind a bunch of currency and mastery grinding and hope people won't notice.

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."
The only meta's I like in HoT are Auric Basin and Dragon's Stand. AB because it doesn't harshly punish lack of communication (like TD does) and it's all about saving a golden city which is neat, and DS because it's a great EXP farm with a cool-looking boss fight at the end.

Tangled Depths is waaaay too punishing and the scaling is hosed and Verdant Brink is a boring mess even with good commanders.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
It should be noted that gerent isn't so terrible to do now that people have started figuring out what to do and now that it gives lots of rewards even if a lane fails near the end.

That said, the scaling problems making it impossible past 20 people in nuhoch and scar is dumb, so is the fact that not breaking the breakbar is a thing that makes it far easier without the boss charging across the tunnel and knocking people around.

• Locked thread