Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I guess Toady just decided that because bees are vermin it doesn't matter if their body isn't accurate. I just found that surprising given that he'll add stupidly small details that are mostly invisible outside of the raws, like the insulation provided by the fur of a black bear.

Also I figured out the reason my milkable bees didn't work was because the mead reaction template is setup to only use honey that comes from honey bees. If I switch the reaction to instead draw from the custom bees, it works just fine. Can't think of a way around that without modifying the default raws to accommodate a new reaction or changing the mead reaction to allow more than just honey bees.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrWillsauce
Mar 19, 2015

One of the dwarven civilizations in my world worships a bumblebee god. Time to get creative with temple design. I've never tried beekeeping before.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...
I've seen civilians be a lot more willing to throw hands with dangerous wildlife in this version compared to before. I wonder if it's because they're always drunk? I dispatched the military when the "interrupted by Giant Olm" messages started showing up but my one-handed gem cutter took it on all alone and kicked its throat open. The combat log is full of him laughing in the face of death.

Maybe it's less the drinking and more this specific dwarf, because looking at his personality he had a real good time fighting that giant olm. Also the reason he has one hand is because he picked a fight with a cave crocodile.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Oooooooooh.

quote:

In short, if you mod in a secret that does not grant the animate dead ability (and thus send the historical figure off to build a tower) there is a possibility that they will store the slab in their local library. Scholars who visit the library during worldgen may then learn the secret, causing it to spread. Presumably they will eventually write spellbooks of their own and store them at their own local libraries, but 250 years apparently isn't long enough for that to happen.

This opens up a lot of potential for modding in new magic systems.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
1 Year from now: Restarting fortress, a passing scholar left a book of "create magma" in my library without me noticing, now all my dwarves cast it at the slightest provocation, including seeing magma.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Looks like Toady fixed the "Marksdwarves won't use training bolts unless combat bolts all used up" bug for 42.03:

Toady posted:

Yeah, I went with the carry-both-while-training option, and my test dwarf did a few rounds of training properly while also carrying combat bolts. There will still be problems if they are interrupted or something, but it should be a lot better than before.

Blackray Jack
Apr 7, 2007
Murderology AND Murderonomy!
Now all he needs to do is fix the armor debacle and we're good to go.

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!

GulMadred posted:

bees bite people.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=02_R8aiUAKw

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
On the topic of temples, can you influence the religion of your fort with them by making a big one to a specific god, or do dwarfs have a set deity they follow and either go to that god's temple, a non-specific temple, or no temple at all? Being able to slowly convert your fortress to whatever interesting/weird god you want would be pretty neat.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
So basically now wizards are a thing that work and magical knowledge is treated as normal knowledge, except for the animate dead skill...

How long until this version will be stable enough to run a forum LP, do you think?

DawnOfMinstrel
Jun 27, 2013

NewMars posted:

How long until this version will be stable enough to run a forum LP, do you think?

Not soon enough?

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Have you heard about First Dog? It's a very good comic I just love.

Also, wear your bike helmets kids. I copped several blows to the head but my helmet left me totally unscathed.

Finally you should check out First Dog as it's a good comic I like it very much.
Fun Shoe

NewMars posted:

Late Feb - Early March if we are lucky. Probably April, but maybe as late as June.

Iunnrais
Jul 25, 2007

It's gaelic.
I think people usually like to wait until Toady stops fixing bugs, and starts saying "Okay, on to the next feature I'm going to add. I expect it'll be out sooner than the last time..." since that means we have at least a year or two of a stable version.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

I am afraid that Toady got a more reliable Speed trader so the release times will become faster and faster.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
the modding potentials keep ramping up, but I'm still just going to be wind up getting irritated at how arbitrarily limited syndromes/interactions are, considering how off the wall they can be in other regards.

i can't even remember what was pissing me off a bunch last time i tried doing things besides that, and also castes/positions. i meant to try to figure out some of the dfhack modding stuff that masterwork utilizes, but :effort:

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

I knew there was a reason I needed DF in my life.

The new update sounds like literal magic

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*
How does milkable translate on were creatures? Could you play as a were cow and milk yourself?

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Gibbo posted:

How does milkable translate on were creatures? Could you play as a were cow and milk yourself?

:stare:

I'm pretty sure that's a sort of ...activity Toady has intentionally avoided.x

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*

Muscle Tracer posted:

:stare:

I'm pretty sure that's a sort of ...activity Toady has intentionally avoided.x

... I'm half asleep and asked that not even thinking of the connotations. Whoops.

Was thinking more of the viability of making it so were creatures with a fluid could be modded to have something like, high value moon milk.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Gibbo posted:

... I'm half asleep and asked that not even thinking of the connotations. Whoops.

Was thinking more of the viability of making it so were creatures with a fluid could be modded to have something like, high value moon milk.

what state of being are we talking here buddy?

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
Semi-related as a skunk person I can't deploy my stink glands like a land-octopus to ward off danger and that is just a shame.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Gibbo posted:

Only if you find the proper engraving.

Actual Answer: I don't think the milk interaction can be performed in adventure mode by default. You could probably mod in an interaction to let yo....uh "milk" yourself" but I barely understand interactions so no clue how. I don't think there's anything that keeps werecreature from having the tokens needed to be milkable though. You'd just never get a chance to in fortress mode for obvious reasons.

Elth
Jul 28, 2011

You could just mod a Sexy Cow race with a "milk self" interaction that produces Sexy Cow Milk or whatever other masturbatory aid you feel the need to put in Dwarf Fortress. :geno:

Even better, make it so you can squirt it at people and it makes all their limbs fall off.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Elth posted:

You could just mod a Sexy Cow race with a "milk self" interaction that produces Sexy Cow Milk or whatever other masturbatory aid you feel the need to put in Dwarf Fortress. :geno:

Even better, make it so you can squirt it at people and it makes all their limbs fall off.

Nah, make it so you squirt it uncontrollably while transformed, and make it infect others on contact. See how long it takes your world to be nothing but Sexy Cow People. Like the most hosed up possible crossover of Pandemic and Underworld.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax
Is it just a fact of life that moves in Dark Pits are 1 per 3 seconds? That's intolerable.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

TildeATH posted:

Is it just a fact of life that moves in Dark Pits are 1 per 3 seconds? That's intolerable.

I was actually just gonna bring this up.

I once heard this had to do with the number of people specified to live in the pit; and that modding that down to less than a hundred would work wonders (if leaving everything feeling sparse); I don't know how to do it though and couldn't find a place for it in the raws!

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
I've loaded up adventure mode for kicks. Movement was really super slow. Is that just normal in general? My dwarf spawned in a dwarven fortress.

Elth
Jul 28, 2011

In my experience, NPC fortresses and dark pits are usually unbearably slow. Especially since you can't fast travel from them easily.

Could be because of hundreds of unseen, constantly pathing horses though.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
Large population centres cause a loving insane amount of slowdown in adventure mode. They did in the last version, too.

Elth
Jul 28, 2011

I noticed that people are constantly moving from room to room in forts, whereas they mostly stay put in towns and hillocks, with much better performance.

StrangeAeon
Jul 11, 2011

reignofevil posted:

I was actually just gonna bring this up.

I once heard this had to do with the number of people specified to live in the pit; and that modding that down to less than a hundred would work wonders (if leaving everything feeling sparse); I don't know how to do it though and couldn't find a place for it in the raws!

Sexy Cow thing aside, that sounds like the grounds for a fun adventurer experiment. Anyone want to take a stab at finding what tags to use, to make a were-curse transmissible via emissions?

In the meantime, I started a fort in the older version, because I am a weenie who cannot live without dfhack, and one of my dorfs becomes a Baron out of the blue. Not hugely unpredictable, but I take a look at his profile and holy crap this guy has a huge family:

Mother and Father
Paternal Grandparents
Maternal Grandparents
6 Sisters
4 Brothers
18 Aunts
12 Uncles
5 Nieces
3 Nephews
48 Cousins

He's already got 5 relatives at the fort. I'm both horrified and curious to see if this one family is going to just descend upon my fort and turn it into a never-ending family reunion.

\Further adventures, Spring of year 2: I get a 30-undead siege with a necromancer, at the same time that I discover I have a vampire somewhere in my fort.

StrangeAeon fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Dec 11, 2015

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

or a cousin will die and 20 of your dwarves will suddently go berserk at once

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

NewMars posted:

So basically now wizards are a thing that work and magical knowledge is treated as normal knowledge, except for the animate dead skill...

Stable enough? Summertime maybe. With all the utilities that you'd want updated? Next winter.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
What utility do you need other than dwarf therapist though?

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
DFhack at least. TwbT and a tileset, probably. All the visualizers and whatnot to really make the LP have some cool images to it.

A mod to take advantage of the knowledge system and give us some magic maybe.

Trundel
Mar 13, 2005

:10bux: + :awesomelon: = :roboluv:
- a sound investment!

StrangeAeon posted:

:words:
\Further adventures, Spring of year 2: I get a 30-undead siege with a necromancer, at the same time that I discover I have a vampire somewhere in my fort.

Then answer, always, is to imprison the mayor.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Ah, so you were right, my scrolls were getting written on and I just wasn't noticing! They show up in the artifacts list (which is uppercase L now which is throwing me off!) - just reading through them...

The contents aren't particularly exciting but I do like that it has a kill on it.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Moridin920 posted:

Ah, so you were right, my scrolls were getting written on and I just wasn't noticing! They show up in the artifacts list (which is uppercase L now which is throwing me off!) - just reading through them...

The contents aren't particularly exciting but I do like that it has a kill on it.
I'm guessing the kill is from the dark gnome that the parchment was made out of.

Elth
Jul 28, 2011

That guy wrote a scroll and then bludgeoned a bird to death with it. Awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I should of made a bigger bar.

I'm pretty sure some of these fuckers have been living in my bar for over a year without me inviting them.