Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
At least the folks seem to understand, assuming that's Gwen's mum behind 'dine.

I could do with skipping the "Relatives throw survivor under the bus for not being their loved one." event of this particular rodeo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013

ConanThe3rd posted:

At least the folks seem to understand, assuming that's Gwen's mum behind 'dine.

I could do with skipping the "Relatives throw survivor under the bus for not being their loved one." event of this particular rodeo.

My guess is that it's Undine's parents behind her.

thechosenone
Mar 21, 2009
has anyone read Modern Fried Snake? http://www.kiwisbybeat.com/modernarchive.html

I like it myself, but I want to know what everyone else thinks about it.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

thechosenone posted:

has anyone read Modern Fried Snake? http://www.kiwisbybeat.com/modernarchive.html

i really like everything else that guy's made but really, really not that one

idk why, I just don't see the point of whatever it's going for so it comes off incoherent and boring

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Dec 9, 2015

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Yeah Doc I think King Radical might've been the better option congrats on screwing everything up again

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

thechosenone posted:

I started to read it some years back after someone had linked it here, but stopped because it was boring.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

MikeJF posted:

Yeah Doc I think King Radical might've been the better option congrats on screwing everything up again

C'mon, cut him some slack. Everyone knows you stop evil with a bigger evil. You just need to escalate the evils fast enough so none of them do any real damage.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Sparklelord loves Doc's world, because it's so lame compared to the Radical Lands. King Radical was going to do the Radical Holocaust. I think that's an obvious choice.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Well right now with Radical gone, basically all of Dr.McNinja's enemies are free to act, and most of them are going to be pissed at him.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!
Starting with the one in the small top-left panel.

Mind over Matter
Jun 1, 2007
Four to a dollar.

Carrasco posted:

Starting with the one in the small top-left panel.

I'm kind of wondering if the way he said "I was cursing a little boy!" is going to have him end up hitting Gordito or Dark Smoke Puncher instead of Patrick.

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

Interesting change over at Patreon -- they're now showing the total dollar amount adjusted for Patreon fees, transaction fees, and declined pledges. This seems like an improvement to me (crowd funding and the like tends to obscure the built-in overhead which confused people about how much money is actually going where):
https://patreon.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/206197906

The biggest unaddressed issue seems to be people who "unsubscribe" at the end of every month just before billing and then resubscribe afterwards. It sounds like in some cases that can be 5-10% of "patrons" (based on some twitter chatter I saw a couple weeks back), which seems pretty crappy, and also seems like something Patreon could detect and manage better. Requiring payment of the previous months pledge on resubscription seems like it'd be fair -- if you unsub because you legitimately no longer want to follow that person / give them money, okay, fine, but conveniently changing your mind after the billing period is up should not be rewarded.

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us

Mind over Matter posted:

I'm kind of wondering if the way he said "I was cursing a little boy!" is going to have him end up hitting Gordito or Dark Smoke Puncher instead of Patrick.
or Old. Who's still Patrick, but still.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Quinton posted:

The biggest unaddressed issue seems to be people who "unsubscribe" at the end of every month just before billing and then resubscribe afterwards.

The gently caress? Christ I hate people sometimes.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Gabriel Pope posted:

You can watch Team Four Star's Paetron yoyo from 12 thousand to 9 thousand and back again near the end of every month.

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a neat trick, but you can only do it once

Gabriel Pope posted:

It happens a lot. If the creators want to do anything about it right now, they have to monitor their dropped pledges manually ban people who try to resubscribe. Its cool and frustrating and a pretty obvious problem that needed to be fixed before the site launched.
There's also the problem of the new update (which is good for people who do monthly campaigns) not really being helpful at all to people who do the alternative and charger per ___ which gives people the option to put a donation cap so they don't end up accidentally overpaying.

Its even less accurate than before.
Patreon's a great system but they have some serious problems with transparency with what they're doing or trying to do.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
The next SD page is a cover that doesn't say much we didn't know (ie 'Dine is having a bad time of it) so here's a quick bit from Mary's tumblr;

Basically from this; we can assume that Gwen, etc are capital G Gone (as opposed to Undine taking their powers as she seems to have done with Tess) and we'll see more of the "magical girl idol culture" stuff the chapter one cover sort of suggested which is good for doing the whole "You lived and everyone else died, how dare you!" thing without having to turn the parents into unlikeable gibbering morons which is always a bonus.

Also, got dunked on that front; well played, Mary :golfclap:

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Dec 11, 2015

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
non-mahou influences include majora's mask, gunnerkrigg court, and monster pulse

oh boy, this may go places

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Wait how can tenno develop warframes if they didnt even know their nature.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Gabriel Pope posted:

this isn't a mark against 'people' so much as a subscription system so profoundly loving dumb that doing this would work, to be fair

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Only letting people access the patron-exclusive pages if they have actually paid for the previous month would be too simple, I suppose.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Or, like, just start a person's billing cycle on the day they subscribe like literally every grownup subscription service

Mind over Matter
Jun 1, 2007
Four to a dollar.

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

Or, like, just start a person's billing cycle on the day they subscribe like literally every grownup subscription service

This is what I wish they could do. I have never tried to game Patreon, because I'm not an rear end in a top hat. I rarely even look at the patron-only pages for the people I'm following, though I'll have to change that for Straub's new Starslip stuff. That aside, there are times when I have to change my pledges for short term times because the first of the month is basically the worst time for me to pay bills. It would be so much better for me if I could pay every 15th or whatever.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

this isn't a mark against 'people' so much as a subscription system so profoundly loving dumb that doing this would work, to be fair

I've just always seen it as a donation system first and foremost. I know some people have incentives for supporters but I have a hard time picturing any backer incentives so important that I'd be willing to do the equivalent of withdrawing my money from the tip jar when no one is looking.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Untill I got my CC bill in I assumed that's exactly what happened.

chiefnewo
May 21, 2007

I'm pretty sure the idea is that by combining all the CC charges into the same time they can reduce fees charged by the credit card company, and therefore pass more money on to the creators.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

I think it's more an example of a system that has gotten bigger than the creators initially planned. It was always intended as something to let dedicated fans give money to creators they like, so I don't think they considered this behaviour at all.

Edit: Maybe you ultimately can't really stop bad actors that do stuff like this - even if you shut this down you'll have people uploading patron only things to file-sharing sites, etc. At least if you have them doing things this way, they'd be visiting the site regularly (instead of insert-piracy-site-here), it's more convenient for them to donate than not donate, and sometimes they'll forget to unsubscribe.

Not saying that changing things a bit won't improve things, but I don't think this is a huge error.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Dec 12, 2015

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Fangz posted:

I think it's more an example of a system that has gotten bigger than the creators initially planned. It was always intended as something to let dedicated fans give money to creators they like, so I don't think they considered this behaviour at all.

Edit: Maybe you ultimately can't really stop bad actors that do stuff like this - even if you shut this down you'll have people uploading patron only things to file-sharing sites, etc. At least if you have them doing things this way, they'd be visiting the site regularly (instead of insert-piracy-site-here), it's more convenient for them to donate than not donate, and sometimes they'll forget to unsubscribe.

Not saying that changing things a bit won't improve things, but I don't think this is a huge error.

yeah a certain amount of piracy is inevitable, but when a large amount of the draw of using your service over like a Paypal tipjar is the ability to set up a steady revenue stream and treat your Patreon income like a real business it's pretty bizarre to gloss over basic small-business subscription things like getting paid upfront and giving the people the option to just let you see content they subscribed for rather than giving a scraper everything you ever put on Patreon for the cost of one month (which they don't even have to pay). It'd be the difference between some of your shittier fans compiling torrents of your stuff and having big one-stop-shop clearinghouse websites of like half the poo poo on Patreon but-you-don't-have-to-pay, which apparently are the real problem

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Dec 12, 2015

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

So, in Monster Pulse, that sure is a spine monster. :stare:

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Mind over Matter posted:

new Starslip stuff
Que?

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

One of Kris's monthly patreon goal rewards was a new Starslip story. I guess he's working on that, now.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

neogeo0823 posted:

So, in Monster Pulse, that sure is a spine monster. :stare:

That's one funky-rear end spine.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
There's definitely a pelvis in there, but I can't say as to whether or not it also includes a spine. I think it's probably just the pelvic bone, though.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

It looks like it's attacking with literal shoulder blades though.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

What if it's a whole skeleton?

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

neogeo0823 posted:

What if it's a whole skeleton?

That's actually terrifying and I feel sorry for the person who can't move because their skeleton is walking around without them.

Telarra
Oct 9, 2012

Actually, since the running theme is that while the body part disappears the monster magically continues fulfilling its role, the owner is probably moving in perfect sync with the monster at all times.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Moddington posted:

Actually, since the running theme is that while the body part disappears the monster magically continues fulfilling its role, the owner is probably moving in perfect sync with the monster at all times.

So Pacific Rim? Doesn't explain how the owner shares vision though unless the gimmick will be that the skeleton monster flails around blindly.
Rather than the whole skeleton though, it looks like it's primarily the pelvis and Spine. So the owner could just be confined to a wheelchair

Telarra
Oct 9, 2012

I was thinking more of the reverse: monster skillfully maneuvering while the poor human slams into walls all day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

It updated early. So...I'm thinking the human doesn't have to move like the monster.

Also, Julie really needed a haircut.

• Locked thread