Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Lost on the bids I made on symbols the other day so just bought one outright for 60 gold. Will probably make my Captain a weapon tomorrow once I decide which to make. Halberd's extra aggro still seems awful for non-tanking captains.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

extra stout posted:

I bought the house next to the kinhouse from a level 23 and just got it decorated, gave you guys permission if you need a Moria keg or any of the things you probably already have! And Hobo I mailed you some deco, will get some more out as I sort things.

Haha nice. How much gold did it end up taking?

Markkei
Aug 11, 2010

extra stout posted:

I think it satisfied the home dwelling nerds but since we're finally getting out of Esteldin and into Minas Tirith with the crafting guild

Speak for yourself, I still use the Aldburg crafting hall in Rohan! Bank, Auction House, crafting stations, and guilds all in one tiny building!

Evil Fluffy posted:

Halberd's extra aggro still seems awful for non-tanking captains.

Halberd passive was changed to better suit non-tanking captains, actually: it's now an extra 2% crit chance on auto attacks. That said, I wouldn't worry about choosing a weapon type with the "right" passive since the difference is small.

Markkei fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Dec 7, 2015

bombhand
Jun 27, 2004

This is nice, all of these changes are nice. I have some time off between Christmas and New Years so at least I'll be able to play then even if I'm not able to find much time beforehand. (100YrsofAttitude, this means daytime LOTROing means I hope you'll be around!)

Evil Fluffy, sorry, didn't realize you were after a symbol. I have a couple in my vault from when I was running Pelargir every morning.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006
17.1 notes are up

quote:

New Items in the LOTRO Store:
Blessing of the Valar – Level your character to 95, catch up to your friends, and jump into the Epic Quests to help defend Gondor!
Blessing of the Valar Upgrade – Already over level 51? Level your character to 95 with this option.
Housing Decorations: Crafting stations – Hook a workspace for your character, right in your home! Take care of your crafting while surrounded by your memories of adventure in Middle-earth.

the most important patch note...

quote:

Various Festival announcement quests have had their repeat timers changed and increased. Mostly notably, Hobnanigans is Here will now only bestow on a character once per week while the event is active.

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

extra stout posted:

On the test server, adding a crafting station to your home was 495 tp, a level 95 insta-boost was something like 5995 tp, a number of bugs have been fixed, I'll get a link and a summary of my favorite parts posted tomorrow.

That's reasonable for people that want a crafting station in their house. I'm hoping that doesn't empty out main cities as much as I think it might. As far as the 95 boost goes, that's an absurd price. When there isn't a double bonus TP sale going, that's almost $100 worth of TP.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

ruffz posted:

That's reasonable for people that want a crafting station in their house. I'm hoping that doesn't empty out main cities as much as I think it might. As far as the 95 boost goes, that's an absurd price. When there isn't a double bonus TP sale going, that's almost $100 worth of TP.

I'm glad it costs a load of money because it's basically a stupid tax, though I guess I feel bad for people who have 5 level 100s and just wanted a beorning to raid with, that seems reasonable. But anyone who is new to the game and says "Can I skip the time and story on this time invested story based game?" deserves the size of that stupid tax.

A lot of people on Landroval are buying them and trading them, which surprised me because the game isn't really raid-based anymore. I feel pretty confident with how good the teams been doing and how much money they should make this Christmas that this could lead to an early or mid 2016 raid, which they've hinted at but won't promise.

edit

I like to type loads of words about video games here are some more, does anyone know how it works with the crafting stations in kin houses? Does it work like a Moria keg or any other item where you could let not just the kin but anyone who visits use it? If so we should all buy one, fill up the yard and save the kin a collective 200 bucks or so. If it works this way we should co-ordinate it, I've got the house next door so I could do the workbench one after I buy some points.

extra stout fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Dec 7, 2015

moebius2778
May 3, 2013

extra stout posted:

I like to type loads of words about video games here are some more, does anyone know how it works with the crafting stations in kin houses? Does it work like a Moria keg or any other item where you could let not just the kin but anyone who visits use it? If so we should all buy one, fill up the yard and save the kin a collective 200 bucks or so. If it works this way we should co-ordinate it, I've got the house next door so I could do the workbench one after I buy some points.

My understanding is, that they work just like regular crafting stations - if you're close enough to one, you get the station buff, and can craft. I remember there being a bit of complaining that you couldn't restrict access to them.

Woodchip
Mar 28, 2010
World chat is where friends are made.

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

After getting utterly confused and frustrated at why I could not log in with my old account, I finally stumbled across a forum post suggesting the problem was my account was banned due to suspicious access. Lo and behold, Turbine emailed me in 2013 that they banned the account until I change my password and contact them. The error message, by the way, was "failed to queue for server", so that was supremely unhelpful in figuring out what had happened.

Hopefully I'll be able to play in a few days when they get to my support ticket. Here's a question though: all my characters are on Meneldor. Will I be able to get the free transfers to Brandywine? Or did I miss the boat?

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

ruffz posted:

That's crazy expensive. But thanks for figuring it out I was curious.

The Bramble posted:

After getting utterly confused and frustrated at why I could not log in with my old account, I finally stumbled across a forum post suggesting the problem was my account was banned due to suspicious access. Lo and behold, Turbine emailed me in 2013 that they banned the account until I change my password and contact them. The error message, by the way, was "failed to queue for server", so that was supremely unhelpful in figuring out what had happened.

Hopefully I'll be able to play in a few days when they get to my support ticket. Here's a question though: all my characters are on Meneldor. Will I be able to get the free transfers to Brandywine? Or did I miss the boat?

Don't go to Brandywine, we are now on Landroval. Also it should be fine.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

I have a question being a complete novice to MMO's and all but what exactly even is a raid?

How does it differ to the instances (like Moria stuff) and big battles?

Because as far as I can gather it's an activity you complete with a group and the game seems to have those and they do still make big battles, so what's crucial difference that I don't get?

bombhand posted:

(100YrsofAttitude, this means daytime LOTROing means I hope you'll be around!)

I hope so. My sister is coming to visit for a good part of the holiday so who knows! It has been ages since we've run across one another that's for sure.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

The short version is that a normal instance is run with a regular group size - the same group you could run around the world killing poo poo with could go in and do a regular instance.

A raid is basically a super-group. Think of it like 4 regular groups grouped together to do instances that are scaled for that kind of firepower.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Got it thanks. I can see why that could be fun.

So what are the actual raids in game and at what levels are they locked on?

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

There's a list of raids towards the bottom of this wiki page: https://lotro-wiki.com/index.php/Raids

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Markkei posted:

Speak for yourself, I still use the Aldburg crafting hall in Rohan! Bank, Auction House, crafting stations, and guilds all in one tiny building!

Halberd passive was changed to better suit non-tanking captains, actually: it's now an extra 2% crit chance on auto attacks. That said, I wouldn't worry about choosing a weapon type with the "right" passive since the difference is small.

I just liked halberds because they look cool. :shobon:

I also keep one of my two recall points set to 21st Hall in Moria because the stuff is conveniently located (though Bree is still probably the best) and Moria never stops being cool.

bombhand posted:

This is nice, all of these changes are nice. I have some time off between Christmas and New Years so at least I'll be able to play then even if I'm not able to find much time beforehand. (100YrsofAttitude, this means daytime LOTROing means I hope you'll be around!)

Evil Fluffy, sorry, didn't realize you were after a symbol. I have a couple in my vault from when I was running Pelargir every morning.

I still have about 1400 gold so it's not an issue.

Oxphocker
Aug 17, 2005

PLEASE DO NOT BACKSEAT MODERATE
With lvl 100s, we can run some of the raids with less than full members if goons would like to try them out... I know between me and a tank, we could run almost everything up to and including moria (except for a few exceptions). So if new goons want to see some of the content, just give a shout... I don't mind running old instances for fun.

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

extra stout posted:

I'm glad it costs a load of money because it's basically a stupid tax, though I guess I feel bad for people who have 5 level 100s and just wanted a beorning to raid with, that seems reasonable. But anyone who is new to the game and says "Can I skip the time and story on this time invested story based game?" deserves the size of that stupid tax.

I bought the level 50 boost for 2 characters a while back because they had a triple bonus point sale, and I didn't feel like going through the 1-50 content for a 6th and 7th time. I could maybe justify $20 per character for a 51-95 boost, but I'm sure it costs more than that. I barely have enough time to play my main character at the moment though. Maybe someday I'll buy the Beorning class.

AskYourself
May 23, 2005
Donut is for Homer as Asking yourself is to ...
We now have a study at our kin house. The crafting station are 495 a pop and they fit in a small yard space :)
If any other lifetimer have some tp just laying around, the other crafting stations would be a nice addition to our kin house.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR
That owns big time and I will get the farmland and workbench in my yard next door to you guys once I have some TP, so if anyone wants to get some other than he and I we should get a nice crafting town built pretty soon.

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

I'm playing my Runekeeper that I boosted to 50 a couple years ago, and I'm using a red line spec that was recommended on the LOTRO forums. I'm absolutely rolling over on-level mobs so far, this feels faster than my Hunter. Might have to take a break from my Guard and level this guy to cap.

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

Its been years since I played LOTRO, and nowadays I'm rocking one of those laptops with an absurd native resolution. What do you guys with high end screens/monitors use for your resolution ingame that looks good but still makes text readable?

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

The Bramble posted:

Its been years since I played LOTRO, and nowadays I'm rocking one of those laptops with an absurd native resolution. What do you guys with high end screens/monitors use for your resolution ingame that looks good but still makes text readable?

1920x1080 seems like a sweet spot to me.

ukrainius maximus
Mar 3, 2007
I feel a strong desire to come back to Middle Earth and make a Hobbit hunter. Is this a good life choice?

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

It was mine and I never regretted it. Hunters have a lot of nice quality of life perks and are generally very easy to play since your job is just to kill things quickly and let everyone else deal with keeping you alive or not getting hit. Gameplay as a hunter is pretty repetitive, but I don't personally mind. I've discovered that guardians seem to add a slight complexity to the simpleness of hunter(and champion) skill use, but they also kill things super slowly.

Your choice as a hobbit is the only right choice.

ukrainius maximus
Mar 3, 2007
My last foray involved a Hobbit guardian. They definitely ramp up a lot more as you gain levels and traits and all that good stuff. I ended it in Lothlorien because I got into something else.

I generally prefer ranged classes because they are so much more laid back, specifically a physical ranged class that uses a bow. I think I definitely need to make this happen.

Quite frankly I'm shocked I haven't done this already in the past.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Oh man if you're looking for laid back go hunter red line. Just stand still and shoot arrows to your hearts delight no pressure. You can make effort and set up traps and prep yourself to be ultra strong and good at killing or just go into it any old way and still kill everything.

If you ever feel like being weird try the yellow trap line. I've never really bothered but I'm sure it's interesting or something. The blue line lets you kite, which sounds great but in practice I never found very useful outside of wide open areas due to mob density and the fact that you can't shoot without facing a target and running backwards or sideways really isn't very fast.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
I always found hunter less laid back. You have a finite amount of time where your best moves can be used, and if an enemy actually reaches you you're in some trouble.

By contrast a guardian gets good when the enemy and his ten friends reach you. It's time to relax while for a hunter it's time to panic.

See enemy - Stop - Focus - Fire - Repeat gets tedious, too.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Tedious is another person's zen.

And while you're right you can't take on too much as a hunter, it's clearly your limitation, there's no need to try to do more. I like it since it's all or nothing. Either I'll kill this guy (or 2) here or whoops I've 3 on me oh well, I'll just bite the dust/run away/etc. I don't have to try to kill the extra guys cause it just won't happen. I mean you can prep the field and lay down a couple of traps and use your fear arrow or whatever and yeah probably handle upwards to 5 mobs with a bit of luck and good potion usage if anything but it's not ideal and breaks the general calmness of being a hunter.

Also I don't know what you found the hunter's best moves to be but the cooldown's pretty short (except for heart seeker which is not a best move) and quick shot is really the best move due to the perks it gets depending on stance.

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

One of my alts is an 85 Hunter and I didn't have any issues if mobs got in my face and I had to melee, unless there were more than 3 of them. My Guardian can generally take on 5 mobs and barely break a sweat. The key with Guardians is to pull as much as you can safely handle, and that kinda balances things out with classes that don't do well with multiple enemies beating on them. If you play a Guard by taking on one mob at a time, sure it's going to take forever.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

The best thing about Guardians is when I group with them all the enemies attack them and I can repeatedly stab the enemies in the back.

(Hobbit is objectively the right choice for any class that has them as a choice, BTW.)

Conskill
May 7, 2007

I got an 'F' in Geometry.
Is Minstrel still OP as hell? Would be a Hobbit, of course.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Conskill posted:

Is Minstrel still OP as hell? Would be a Hobbit, of course.

Still a great class, we're short on them too. This has been the policy since day one but basically play anything you think is fun (but at the same time we'll all start subtly trying to tell you fuckers to re-roll healers) as champ/hunter count reaches 58 players. I see we've got a good bunch of guardians and wardens leveling up at least.

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

I'm playing a warden now! Hobbit, of course.

Is there a good writeup somewhere that breaks down which gambits to use in different situation? At level 8 its all just spear-spear, but as content gets more challenging and I start tanking, how do I stay alive? Heal myself? Keep aggro in a group?

By the way Puckles will be looking for a Nazgun invite tomorrow.

Siddhartha Glutamate
Oct 3, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Thanks for the guild invite tonight. I was on a night or so before the transfer and wasn't having much fun when somebody in world chat recommended I reroll, I did (as a Guardian) and I'm enjoying LOTRO again, so I figured with the move I would go ahead and ask for an invite. Dunno if the warm fuzzies will wear off anytime soon, but they've changed a ton of stuff since I last seriously played, so thus far I'm pretty happy. Oh, currently in as Drachenfutter, but I used to play as Uthane a long time ago (three years?)

moebius2778
May 3, 2013

The Bramble posted:

I'm playing a warden now! Hobbit, of course.

Is there a good writeup somewhere that breaks down which gambits to use in different situation? At level 8 its all just spear-spear, but as content gets more challenging and I start tanking, how do I stay alive? Heal myself? Keep aggro in a group?

By the way Puckles will be looking for a Nazgun invite tomorrow.

The only guides I remember seem to have been lost, and the warden gambit diagram is good as a reference, but not for learning them. So, basics....

Gambits can be grouped into the first builder used. Spear gambits are about doing single target weapon damage. Shield gambits are defensive/survival gambits. Fist gambits were aggro gambits, and are now light damage over time for the most part.

The other thing is, almost all gambits are repeating patterns - they're either ABABA or ABCAB. Shorter gambits have a smaller effect, but everything pretty much does the same thing. For example, shield-spear heals. Shield-spear-shield heals more. Shield-spear-shield-spear used to heal, but doesn't any more. Shield-spear-shield-spear-shield heals even more. So you just need to remember what the basic gambit does, and you can assume the longer versions of it do the same thing, only more so.

Spear-shield is your interrupts.
Spear-fist is your single target direct damage.
Spear-shield-fist is your single target DoT.
Spear-fist-shield is a bunch of utility powers and self-buffs to increase damage.

Shield-spear is your self heals.
Shield-fist is your defensive self buffs.
Shield-fist-spear-shield and shield-spear-fist-shield are also more defensive buffs. (There used to be length three versions of these gambits, but they were horrible and no one used them. Also they were removed.)

Fist-spear is your single target light DoT.
Fist-shield is your AoE light DoT.
Fist-spear-shield-fist-shield is your health leech. It's also a bit weird, since the fifth gambit builder should really be a spear. Length three and four versions of the gambit also exist.

And that's pretty much it. There's a couple other specialized gambits (spear-shield-spear-fist-spear - power restore, fist-shield-fist-spear - AoE light direct damage).

Generally speaking, your fist/light damage gambits do more damage than your spear/weapon damage gambits (especially if you grab both +20% light damage traits). So, if you're killing one thing, use fist-spear gambits. If you're killing multiple things, use fist-shield gambits. If you're dying to a small number of things, use shield-spear gambits to heal. If you're dying to a large number of things, use leeches to heal. If you're tanking an instance, you may want to use more defensive buffs. Also, none of your DoTs stack, so make sure your vary your DoT gambits.

Edit: Oh, and I guess use direct damage if whatever you're fighting is about to die. Or switch targets or run off and wait for the DoTs to kill it. Either/or.

moebius2778 fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Dec 11, 2015

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR
Aside from quest packs/expansion packs one of the best things you could possibly spend your bucks on is the premium wallet/barter wallet, and it's on sale for half off from the 11th-13th according to the forums.

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

Wow, thank you for that guide moebius, that is going to be incredibly useful for me going forward.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Yeah, great mini-warden guide. I've been practicing a little with my level 42 warden on target dummies and in skirmishes and it's really tough to get the hang of him again, especially having all the masteries available. I'm trying to practice getting combo chains out fast using mastery combinations but I usually end up screwing them up.

My default is to remember the heal line when the poo poo hits the fan (shield-spear, shield-spear-shield, and shield-spear-shield-spear-shield), but I've mostly been playing as a blue spec. It gets pretty chaotic and sometimes I switch to a guardian who is much easier to play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

I bought myself a xmas present, the Complete History of Middle-Earth boxed set with almost 5,400 pages of Tolkien goodness. After playing LOTRO all I want to do is read more about the lore.