Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

Welp, that was boring!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

I hope they adjust exp soon because people are just gonna burn out before they reach 50, especially people that already did so on RF/LJ.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Malt posted:

Exp is nerfed about 50% compared to LJ/RF. Great idea Daybreak halving the exp on a server moving twice as fast.

50% exp to go with 50% pet hps.

Bahanahab
Apr 13, 2006
Nope, this is not entertaining. I like the instanced raids, but not this much.

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You
Yeah, I've been going since zero hour and I'm only level 5. Kinda lovely of them to do it but honestly it's expected. I understand it's about the bottom dollar and all but eh.

Xeras
Oct 11, 2004

Only a few find the way, some don't recognize it when they do - some... don't ever want to.
I am also on Phinigel. Currently playing a troll shaman Xeras.

Dracneir
Oct 11, 2009

HAHA I TOOK AWAY YOUR SPAESS MAREENE AVATAR FAGGOT :qq: SOME MORE
I got to level 4 in about an hour and a half. Don't kill blues. Group and kill yellows.

It's definitely slower than RF/LJ, like 1/2-2/3 of what it was there. Kind of weird they changed it without announcing it. Maybe it's a bug? Maybe not? Who knows?

Even at 1/2 the rate, it's still faster than actual classic. Half the rate would extend the time to get to 50 from about 60 hours to 120 hours, so still only a week and a half for the most extreme poopsock players. Maybe 6-8 weeks for semi-casual play? Seems alright, just have to soldier through the lovely low levels due to the flattened curve. It WILL NOT slow down as much as it did in classic past level 10 or so. You'll go through the teens, 20s, etc at close to the same rate as the 1-10's. On RF I went 15-25 faster than 1-15.

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
I asked on forums but didn't get an answer. People were talking about a 3 pack of exp potions in the store for cheap. Anybody know anything about this?

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe

Givin posted:

I asked on forums but didn't get an answer. People were talking about a 3 pack of exp potions in the store for cheap. Anybody know anything about this?

Open the store and look for the "redeem" button on the top left. Press it and it will give you 500 DB cash and discount potions to 500 cash. Basically, free.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

The last time I played a progression server was the Fippy server. I feel like the xp rate is about the same, if not a little faster. You definitely want to get a full group together and kill yellow cons. That's the way to go.

Botnit
Jun 12, 2015

I didn't even make it to playing the game, while downloading I thought it'd be a good idea to read the forums and came across the reporting bugs thread and saw just how much ridiculous poo poo was broken in the not TLP servers and said nope.

I realize the TLP servers get more dev attention but I'm still not investing the amount of work it takes into a character to ultimately end up like that.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Am I the only one enjoying this?

Kilazar
Mar 23, 2010

RCarr posted:

Am I the only one enjoying this?

Nope. I love the poo poo out of it. All those bitching about xp and what not, should go take a week on p2002. Unlike p9, p2002 IS a full classic experience. Complete with the 2002 era UI.

gently caress just having a map and navigation brings so much to the table over real classic.

If p2002 could use the newer interface I would however drop the tlp in a heartbeat.

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
I'm still having fun. Exp just comes as you go. I'm about to hit 9 and get that sweet sweet Spirit of the Wolf. Shaman need canno sooner.

I still do not like the loot window. But it's a small matter.

EDIT: I just figured out what I don't like about the loot window. It's always someone with a box that's in control of it. At least so far for me.

Givin fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Dec 10, 2015

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Yeah if you are in a group ask them to give leader to someone active so that doesn't happen. I believe whoever is group leader becomes master looter. If it's used correctly it works pretty well. Should I head into Crushbone at level 5? Or is there somewhere better? Not like it matters I guess.

Can anyone recommend a guild that isn't full of idiot babies?

RCarr fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Dec 10, 2015

Dracneir
Oct 11, 2009

Crushbone will be a pubbie zoo for the first week or two. I'm planning to go up to the teens in N Ro then Oasis. Then maybe hit Befallen, or solo outside in the Karanas. The popular zones are a pretty big shitfest during peak hours for the first few weeks of the TLP, even with instancing.

You can turn Adv. Looting off if you are the group leader. Personally I like it, and I like being Master Looter, it's easy once you figure it out and you just set everything to Auto Ask/Roll. It's much faster than looting stuff individually, removes the ability for people to hog loot, and you can set stuff to Always Need / Always Greed /Never Loot then after that you don't have to click anything unless an item you haven't seen before drops.

Malt
Jan 5, 2013

Kilazar posted:

Nope. I love the poo poo out of it. All those bitching about xp and what not, should go take a week on p2002. Unlike p9, p2002 IS a full classic experience. Complete with the 2002 era UI.

It's not a matter of not remember how bad it used to be. Its that the majority of people on this server have just leveled 1-60 on RF/LJ in the past 6 months which was already not the quickest especially 50-60.

It is just the strangest choice considering the two things the server is promoting, instanced raiding and quick unlocks, are both hurt by having slower exp.

unoplank
Aug 3, 2004
I lurk...
This may be helpful to anyone with limited bag space on the TLP. The advanced loot window will keep drops in a pending state when you run out of bag space as long as you don't select the red X or green check-mark right away. You can then go to a vendor and empty your bags and then "loot" your items from any corpse in the zone by clicking the green check mark. They won't last indefinitely, I think they stay in the window for up to 15 minutes at a time.

This may be considered an exploit, so I would keep it on the down low.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

unoplank posted:

This may be considered an exploit, so I would keep it on the down low.

That's how advloot is supposed to work.

unoplank
Aug 3, 2004
I lurk...

jetz0r posted:

That's how advloot is supposed to work.

Ok good. I just didn't want anyone to get in trouble.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Life has gotten much better for my necro/shaman box since hitting Lv.4. Both finally have decent offensive spells and the pet isn't a complete aggro magnet (still can't kite with it, though).

ShankyMcStabber
Mar 9, 2012

I spend way too much money on computer parts.
Looks like DBG updated the rules for the new server and are now claiming no 3rd party software at all.

So getting caught using ISBoxer, even across multiple computers, is going to be trouble. Good thing I multiboxed EQ in the old client days.

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

I really want to like it because I love EQs dungeons, especially the classic through PoP stuff, but I don't think I can deal with the grind to 20 or whatever so I can actually jump into them. Grinding outdoor camps at early levels (or any level) in this game is so loving boring. SO BORING!

How quick do people tend to level on these servers? I might be able to deal with the bullshit in short bursts, but even that is pushing it when I have FFXIV sitting there waiting for me to play it. I feel loving ridiculous playing EQ when I have yet to finish the story in FF, which I actually enjoy.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

ShankyMcStabber posted:

Looks like DBG updated the rules for the new server and are now claiming no 3rd party software at all.

So getting caught using ISBoxer, even across multiple computers, is going to be trouble. Good thing I multiboxed EQ in the old client days.

Yup, used to run 5 computers between 2 of us before we got into MQ2, it's not too hard, just have the keyboards next to each other, setup good hotkeys and use F1-6 targetting a lot.

ShankyMcStabber
Mar 9, 2012

I spend way too much money on computer parts.

MF_James posted:

Yup, used to run 5 computers between 2 of us before we got into MQ2, it's not too hard, just have the keyboards next to each other, setup good hotkeys and use F1-6 targetting a lot.

It will probably be even easier for me now because I have spent the last 6 months working from home which has given me a lot of practice juggling multiple keyboards from work/home systems.

Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

The Heroes the Vikings Deserve
Lipstick Apathy

Happy Hedonist posted:

I really want to like it because I love EQs dungeons, especially the classic through PoP stuff, but I don't think I can deal with the grind to 20 or whatever so I can actually jump into them. Grinding outdoor camps at early levels (or any level) in this game is so loving boring. SO BORING!

How quick do people tend to level on these servers? I might be able to deal with the bullshit in short bursts, but even that is pushing it when I have FFXIV sitting there waiting for me to play it. I feel loving ridiculous playing EQ when I have yet to finish the story in FF, which I actually enjoy.

I loved my time in EQ as much as everyone else but you are An Insane Person to go back to the EQ slog over finishing FFXIV's story which is actually good and fun.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

Enjoying the EQ grind is a matter of state of mind, a matter of Zen. It's simple, straight forward and can be a nice change of pace from modern MMORPGs. I grinded like a motherfucker when I started playing again back in 2009, still do, and I still enjoy grinding both XP, faction and rare drops. You just have to like zone out (figuratively) and see it as a mix of nostalgia, time waste, character progression and adventure.

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

Lots of pot helps, but I don't smoke anymore.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Happy Hedonist posted:

Lots of pot helps, but I don't smoke anymore.

This. I just like chilling with a couple joints and some beers and mindlessly killing gnolls or whatever. It helps to know people in game that you can shoot the poo poo with.

Dracneir
Oct 11, 2009

Low levels are a slog for sure, trick is to do it in outdoor zones like Oasis where it's complete chaos and you're constantly dodging trains and giants and competing for pulls. Sitting in a room in CB or UGuk is about as boring as it gets. Basically just pull or be 80% AFK if you are at a static camp. It's too bad this server didn't open with Kunark, since it adds outdoor zones up to cap and the chaos never stops.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic
Against my better judgement I rolled up a gnome rogue named Ratcatcher on the new server. Took me 30min to get out of Ak'Anon :-).

Any goon guild or groups for a level 1-2 (depending on if I can log back on; I crash every time I zone or die) rogue? Just tell me a zone and I'll do my best to get there!

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Are racial bonuses and penalties a thing on this server? i.e. does ogre have frontal bash immunity and trolls have regen but also XP penalties?

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Does 1h/shield or two hander make much difference for knights at this point of the game? I kinda want to make a paladin.

All of the exp penalties were eliminated a few years ago. But this is Daybreak so take it for what it's worth. I'm not feeling slogged down as a troll shaman.

+mana items can't come soon enough, ugh.

Givin fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Dec 11, 2015

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

MF_James posted:

Are racial bonuses and penalties a thing on this server? i.e. does ogre have frontal bash immunity and trolls have regen but also XP penalties?

All the racial and class penalties are out. Warriors and Rogues still get xp bonuses and I think Halflings too? I believe all the racial traits are still in like troll regen and ogre stun immunity.

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it
This XP nerf is a kick in the nuts, especially cause it really seems like they intentionally tried to hide it. I can live with levels being an hour or two all the way to 50, but if it starts requiring 10+ hours for a single level I'm loving done. I've got a full-time job, an actual social life, plus other games I want to play.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

RCarr posted:

All the racial and class penalties are out. Warriors and Rogues still get xp bonuses and I think Halflings too? I believe all the racial traits are still in like troll regen and ogre stun immunity.

hrmm might have to re-think my high elf cleric then because I'll want an ogre warrior to pair with... Maybe I'll roll darkelf

Xeras
Oct 11, 2004

Only a few find the way, some don't recognize it when they do - some... don't ever want to.
Playing on this server is some of the most fun I have had. I love single boxing and usually being in a group of 6 people. Wish I could make some iksars already but still. I'm a bit worried 3 months until any expansion hits will be a bit too long but I guess I'll be able to roll some alts in the meantime.

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Anyone know a vendor I can buy Leather Armor from? I know there is a large chain vendor in Grobb but it's a bit pricy right now.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Xeras posted:

Playing on this server is some of the most fun I have had. I love single boxing and usually being in a group of 6 people. Wish I could make some iksars already but still. I'm a bit worried 3 months until any expansion hits will be a bit too long but I guess I'll be able to roll some alts in the meantime.

I can't wait for iksars, I'll dump my warrior and make the superior monk choice!

I also hosed up and left my laptop at work, so I can't play both characters tonight, guess I'll just wait till tomorrow :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Everyone is a mayor... Someday..
Lipstick Apathy

Pilsner posted:

Enjoying the EQ grind is a matter of state of mind, a matter of Zen. It's simple, straight forward and can be a nice change of pace from modern MMORPGs.

You do a lot of moving in modern MMOs and there are times where I miss EQ's simple pick a spot to mass murder mobs for xp. gently caress camping for gear though.