Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

zoux posted:

They team up in the comics. One of the biggest differences in the comics is that the stories are soaked in the broader Marvel universe. There's one case that doesn't involve some A or B list Marvel dude.

It's not a problem with the show, but they did have to go in some different directions and emphasize some different themes.

The Spider-Man franchise invasion of Jessica Jones was really pretty good and would make a good season 2 if they can work it out right with Sony.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Gyges posted:

The Spider-Man franchise invasion of Jessica Jones was really pretty good and would make a good season 2 if they can work it out right with Sony.

But what if instead they settle for Italian Spiderman? Jessica is already in that!

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Gyges posted:

I don't know if the MCU age difference makes it not work, or just makes it funnier. Play it like Ultimate Black Cat. (Who was an adult woman grossed out to discover she has a crush on, and was hitting on, a young teen) With how much of a gently caress up Jessica is, that could work as a comedy option.

Or alternatively it could be INCREDIBLY skeevy borderline pedophile horrible poo poo. The Black Cat stuff kinda was in the comics. But I think these show runners could pull it off, with a light enough touch. They've earned a lot of trust from me.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
The other franchise invasion stuff. Not the single throw away line.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

XboxPants posted:

I don't know if the MCU age difference makes it not work, or just makes it funnier. Play it like Ultimate Black Cat. (Who was an adult woman grossed out to discover she has a crush on, and was hitting on, a young teen) With how much of a gently caress up Jessica is, that could work as a comedy option.

Or alternatively it could be INCREDIBLY skeevy borderline pedophile horrible poo poo. The Black Cat stuff kinda was in the comics. But I think these show runners could pull it off, with a light enough touch. They've earned a lot of trust from me.

I would be okay if none of this ever happened in the MCU.

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle

St0rmD posted:

From what I understand (phone posting, don't have links handy), that was an editorial decision for the comic book. The editors said she couldn't be raped, so Bendis wrote it the way he did, and I guess they let it stand.

The editors were fine with Cage doing her up the butt however...

(to be honest I skipped the sex scenes in the TV show, did that make it in?)

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

yaffle posted:

Well, there was doggy style, but no explicit anal.

Wait, what?

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

How is that related? Do people think that dogs do it in the butt?

Wait... Do they?

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

odiv posted:

Wait... Do they?

*john lennon voice* why don't we do it... in the butt

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

yaffle posted:

Like, in the comic?

Also, why are we conflating sodomy with rape implicitly? Very problematic imo

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

BottledBodhisvata posted:

Like, in the comic?

Also, why are we conflating sodomy with rape implicitly? Very problematic imo

Actually I think it's more of the issue that consensual sex is censored more than rape in the media. Which on one had fits with how violence is treated compared to sex, but it's just really problematic.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Snak posted:

Actually I think it's more of the issue that consensual sex is censored more than rape in the media. Which on one had fits with how violence is treated compared to sex, but it's just really problematic.

Notice how I used problematic sarcastically and you didn't. This is the difference between us.

Although I agree, censoring consensual sex but not censoring rape is pretty lovely. Actually, censoring most things is pretty lovely and dumb.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

BottledBodhisvata posted:

Notice how I used problematic sarcastically and you didn't. This is the difference between us.

Although I agree, censoring consensual sex but not censoring rape is pretty lovely. Actually, censoring most things is pretty lovely and dumb.

I honestly couldn't tell you were being sarcastic.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

odiv posted:

Wait... Do they?

Quit slut shaming Lassie, you monster. What she and Rin Tin Tin do in the dog house is their business.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Snak posted:

I honestly couldn't tell you were being sarcastic.

:mediocre:

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:
Smashing your way into our hearts one skylight at a time

Just finished watching this and I've got to say I'm really happy with Marvels Netflix output. They've put out two entertaining series that have superheroics but also have solid drama to back it up. The themes of Jessica Jones were pretty brutal and I'm kinda surprised Marvel went there, but it worked well.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

^^^^ Just finished watching here as well. :hfive:

What a solid show. I think I enjoyed it more than Daredevil.

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Ok, all caught up.

I knew who the nurse was the instant I saw her... and I also knew Dare Devil would not be in the show as a crossover, because the JJ people would not allow a white male in the show who wasn't a murderer, rapist, incestuous perv, or psycho killer.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

GORDON posted:

Ok, all caught up.

I knew who the nurse was the instant I saw her... and I also knew Dare Devil would not be in the show as a crossover, because the JJ people would not allow a white male in the show who wasn't a murderer, rapist, incestuous perv, or psycho killer.

I think you're forgetting the man who lost gave away was forced to give away his coat. :colbert:

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

mastajake posted:

I think you're forgetting the man who lost gave away was forced to give away his coat. :colbert:

He shouldn't have flaunted it so openly.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

GORDON posted:

Ok, all caught up.

Jessica's dad.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
No. The implied anal is not on tv. But they did crib a lot from that issue.

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Gyges posted:

Jessica's dad.

Murderous bad driver.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

GORDON posted:

Ok, all caught up.

The chef that Killgrave mind controlled for Jessica's childhood home. :colbert:

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012

WampaLord posted:

The chef that Killgrave mind controlled for Jessica's childhood home. :colbert:

But he was French, those people have different standards... and he was a drunk he admitted so himself

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

:shoboobs:

Evernoob posted:

... and he was a drunk he admitted so himself
Joking aside, I just realized something that would further warp the character of Kilgrave into the monster he becomes. When people are absolutely truthful to any question, especially to how it's phrased, he'll probably have a hard time distinguishing from everday normal intrusive thoughts to what people actually believe and act.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Yeah it's no wonder that Kilgrave had a low opinion of the human race when everyone was always divulging the absolute truth to him.

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:
Smashing your way into our hearts one skylight at a time

GORDON posted:

I don't think Ruben was an incestuous perv, just a weirdo with a strange abusive sibling relationship.

Really pretty much every core character regardless or race and gender was messed up and either an abuser or victim of abuse.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Zsinjeh posted:

Joking aside, I just realized something that would further warp the character of Kilgrave into the monster he becomes. When people are absolutely truthful to any question, especially to how it's phrased, he'll probably have a hard time distinguishing from everday normal intrusive thoughts to what people actually believe and act.

Kilgrave is basically the cornfield kid from that one Twilight Zone episode as an adult, except everyone has to tell him the truth instead of telling him what he wants to hear. Although I still can't tell if he could have actually been turned into a "hero" or at least a decent person, or if he was just going through the motions with that as part of some belief that it would make Jessica love him and he was still just being a manipulative poo poo.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

raditts posted:

Although I still can't tell if he could have actually been turned into a "hero" or at least a decent person, or if he was just going through the motions with that as part of some belief that it would make Jessica love him and he was still just being a manipulative poo poo.

It was 100% manipulation. He was obsessed with her and, finding himself unable to directly exercise his power against her, he went looking for another way to gain control. Harnessing his power for good is at best a naive fantasy. Even if Jessica gave in and even if he was sincere, which I doubt, there's no way that his petulance and complete lack of empathy wouldn't undermine things.

As for turning him into a decent person, nope. Nopenopenope. Never once does he give any indication of being able to think about or relate to people. He never shows a scrap of conscience or regret. There just isn't anything there you could possibly build on to rehabilitate him, he's too broken.

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012
The problem is that Killgrave actually can't turn off his power apparently. He has the carefully choose his words whenever he speaks to people not to "command" anyone.

And he sometimes slips (Say Hi, Hank...."Hi Hank"), although I'm not 100% sure if that was a joke or a true slip.
I also love how frustrated he was when he was expecting Jessica and called out loud how other people could possibly bare the fact that others weren't doing exactly as told/expected by them.

Before he got his power he was endlessly tortured (even if it was for his own good...). But as soon as he got his power the torturing stopped and the whole world did exactly as he told them.
Why would he ever want to be normal?

I really liked how David Tennant portrayed the character with the occasional tongue in cheek comment. (KG : it costs tax money - JJ You never paid tax in your life - KG : fair enough...)

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Evernoob posted:

The problem is that Killgrave actually can't turn off his power apparently. He has the carefully choose his words whenever he speaks to people not to "command" anyone.

And he sometimes slips (Say Hi, Hank...."Hi Hank"), although I'm not 100% sure if that was a joke or a true slip.
I also love how frustrated he was when he was expecting Jessica and called out loud how other people could possibly bare the fact that others weren't doing exactly as told/expected by them.

Before he got his power he was endlessly tortured (even if it was for his own good...). But as soon as he got his power the torturing stopped and the whole world did exactly as he told them.
Why would he ever want to be normal?

I really liked how David Tennant portrayed the character with the occasional tongue in cheek comment. (KG : it costs tax money - JJ You never paid tax in your life - KG : fair enough...)

This isn't really a problem, though. Plenty of people modify and moderate their speech on a daily basis to avoid complication or offense. I mean, yes, slips are going to happen, but if Killgrave was actually committed to not causing harm it wouldn't be that hard. He plays it off as being some huge burden because it's one more way for him to shift the blame for his actions.

And yeah, Tennant's performance was aces. You get a very clear sense that this is a person with no emotional development at all, and the child-like whimsy he displays when everything is going exactly how he wants it to contrasts wonderfully with his spiteful menace when it isn't.

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Dec 14, 2015

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Evernoob posted:

It's pretty clear that his commands work at the literal level, so if he isn't very clear then he can slip. He told Trish to put a bullet in her head, and Trish was able to fulfill that by placing one in her mouth, which is technically inside her head. He also told the real estate guy to remove his dad from the face of the Earth, and that guy's solution was to literally cut up his dad and feed the parts to the garbage disposer.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
It's interesting that the character despises children despite never growing up himself, either because he doesn't want to see his own childishness reflected, or because they aren't usually useful.

Then again he sends that one girl to Jessica so maybe despises is reading in to it too much.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

I don't think he despises them, he seems to treat them about the same as anyone else he has no intimidate use for when they present a minor annoyance to him. Consider the kids he tells to go stand in the closet vs. the dude outside the club whom he ordered to stare at a wall.

Batham
Jun 19, 2010

Cluster bombing from B-52s is very, very accurate. The bombs are guaranteed to always hit the ground.
Not a bad show, but I liked Dare Devil a lot more. This show went a bit too many times into stupid-overdrive with insisting that the good thing is the right thing when it's clearly the wrong thing and going to gently caress things up. But it feels like the show just wants us to go along with it and eventually see that she's just flawed but right in the end! Sorry, but by the end she just felt like a retard to me. Will Simpson was way more level headed and had an actual good loving plan before he took the pills.

But nope, can't snipe Killgrave because we need to save this one girl while we let him murder 50 otherpeople, because JUSTICE

Batham fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Dec 15, 2015

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Batham posted:

But nope, can't snipe Killgrave because we need to save this one girl while we let him murder 50 other[sub]people, because JUSTICE

I will admit in the finale when they used that distraction, I wondered why Jessica didn't shoot Kilgrave in the face right then. But that wouldn't really be in the spirit of the show.

I loved the show, very very entertaining stuff. Jessica Jones the character is just a home run, Ritter is killing it. And needless to say Kilgrave is an entertaining villain. I give the edge to Daredevil, but both shows are a big hit with me.

One thing that feels a bit forced is Luke going his own way at the end, and I'm guessing mostly being solo in his series coming up. I'm not sure why we need to kind of artificially separate these two characters, when it makes sense for them to be together. Though of course there's the Defenders and whatnot.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Dec 15, 2015

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
Iron Fist casting stuff: http://ikwiz.com/watch.asp?id=19823&name=BREAKING+NEWS%3A+Marvel%27s+Netflix+IRON+FIST+Series+Character+Breakdowns+%7C+That+Hashtag+Show

quote:

Working Title: KICK
Episodic
Netflix Series
SAG- AFTRA

Producers: TBD
Director: TBD
Writers: TBD
Casting Director: Laray Mayfield & Julie Schubert
Casting Assistant: Alexis Allen
Shoot Dates: April 2016 - October 2016

[DYLAN KENDALL] 25 - 28 yrs old, handsome and sophisticated, independent and a loner. SERIES REGULAR

[HARRY MARSHALL] 45 - 50 yrs old. Caucasian, highly intelligent, merciless, confident and arrogant, physically active. SERIES REGULAR

Recently it was announced that Iron Fist has a new Executive Producer. Deadline reported that Scott Buck, the show-runner for Dexter and Six Feet Under will be helming Iron Fist, and our Marvel insider that gave us our Vision, Avengers:Age of Ultron spoilers provided us with a small bite of information about casting that helps to shed some light on where they're going with the show.

The 2 roles that are currently being cast are listed as Dylan Kendall and Harry Marshall. Dylan is 25 - 28 years old, handsome, sophisticated, independent, and a loner. We are assuming this character is actually Danny Rand, better known as Iron Fist. The age puts him in the same range as the rest of the Defenders, and also about the same age Rand would be when he shows up in New York, having left K'un L'un to search for his fathers killer. The role could also be for Wendall Rand, Danny's father. Wendall discovered the mystical city of K'un-L'un as a young boy and as an adult, seeks out K'un L'un again, but this time with his wife, his son, a 9- 10 year old Danny Rand, and his business partner and killer Harold Meachum.

Harry is between 45 and 50, Caucasian, Highly Intelligent, merciless, confident, arrogant, and physically active. He's a little harder to pin down. Our first thought was the Steel Serpent. The Steel Serpent is an exiled native of K'un-L'un named Davos. Davos stole Iron Fist's power and possessed it until it consumed him and Iron Fist absorbed it back into himself. This would be a great villain for the first season of of the show, it would almost parallel Jessica Jones' story and how she felt powerless against Kilgrave. However this could also definitely be Harold Meachum. Meachum was business partners with Danny's father and also was responsible for his father death. In the comics Harold Meachum is an amputee, but he could be Physically active in Flashback with Rand's father Wendell.

Also attached is Carrie Ann Moss reprising her role of Jeryn Hogarth, In the comics, after Wendall Rand's death Hogarth became the executor of his estate. He kept Wendell's son Iron Fist under surveillance after his return to the states.

The shooting title for the series is Kick and is scheduled to begin shooting in New York next spring.

Honestly I really hope they go for an Asian Danny Rand. The MCU has tons of ripped white dudes as leads as it is, let's get a ripped and handsome Asian guy in there.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

enraged_camel posted:

It's pretty clear that his commands work at the literal level, so if he isn't very clear then he can slip. He told Trish to put a bullet in her head, and Trish was able to fulfill that by placing one in her mouth, which is technically inside her head. He also told the real estate guy to remove his dad from the face of the Earth, and that guy's solution was to literally cut up his dad and feed the parts to the garbage disposer.

Or the implied "Don't Blink" to the Chef/Maid & "Don't Move" to Hope in bed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

jscolon2.0 posted:

Or the implied "Don't Blink" to the Chef/Maid & "Don't Move" to Hope in bed.

It's all the little things though that really get you. When you tell someone to stop and they fall over where they stand, or tell someone to go away and they do without fail every time no matter what. He got this power as a child, he's impossibly warped and it's not even his fault.