Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Those are some amazing character models, right there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Yeah, I'm really glad you did that so that none of us have to.

Godspeed.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

I wouldn't touch that with a 39 and a half foot pole

newmans_owned
Nov 26, 2015

Home Of The Hottest WADs On The Net
i remember playing chemical existence over a decade ago and i somehow got an awful headache when i was like halfway through it.

it's probably safe to say that was my head telling me to stop playing bad goldsrc mods

speaking of half life 1 stuff, i played this a few weeks back and all i say is that it's some bizarre and czech they hunger clone:

http://www.moddb.com/mods/survive-in-catacombs-1-remodded

newmans_owned fucked around with this message at 08:18 on Dec 11, 2015

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

newmans_owned posted:

speaking of half life 1 stuff, i played this a few weeks back and all i say is that it's some bizarre and czech they hunger clone:

http://www.moddb.com/mods/survive-in-catacombs-1-remodded

Huh, I've had the original sitting on my computer for a year or so now but haven't really gotten to playing it. Thanks for the heads up on this, I definitely should try it out.

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

RiffRaff1138 posted:

There is one level that looks different from all the rest. In the middle of one of the base levels, you blow something up, and then black out and have a nightmare. It has no lead-up, and once it's over, is never referred to again. It consists of three rooms linked by short hallways, with walls and floors made of faces and bodies, an altar with Reece lying dead on it with a knife in his chest, and a single enemy, a boss battle with a creature that looks like a cyborg lizard with a flayed, screaming human face in its gut.

This is the only thing I remember about that mod, so far as in my mind the whole mod was fighting monsters but I guess I just erased the rest of it.
Play Poke 646 too, I remember it has a gun you reload by feeding it candy and (several ?) nailguns.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

also, double barreled pump shotgun :allears:

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

RiffRaff1138 posted:

There is one level that looks different from all the rest. In the middle of one of the base levels, you blow something up, and then black out and have a nightmare. It has no lead-up, and once it's over, is never referred to again

Whose dumb idea was it to put dicks and butts on the walls?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Woolie Wool posted:

H. R. Giger

Touchfuzzy
Dec 5, 2010

Woolie Wool posted:

Is that not your house?

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Woolie Wool posted:

The least they could do is put Dickbutt on the wall.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Shadow Hog posted:

The least they could do is put Dickbutt on the wall.

In a secret area. Walking up to it causes the phrase "Dickbutt Lives!" to appear.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

newmans_owned posted:

insanely good ambient music is basically what makes my world go 'round, so i really did enjoy Aubrey Hodges' work for he did for Midway when he did the music for the console versions of doom (and the much more distinctive doom 64)

can't wait to hear what he puts out

Search for Cyro Chamber on youtube, you'll find more good stuff there if you've never heard them before.

I'm fond of Azathoth but Cthulhu, Metropolis and The Old City are also all good.

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only
how do I play Unreal Gold on co-op? do I take all the stuff and plop it into UT or something? or is there an easy way to do it with the original game?

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Colon Semicolon posted:

how do I play Unreal Gold on co-op? do I take all the stuff and plop it into UT or something? or is there an easy way to do it with the original game?

The tricky part is getting everyone to connect, really. Besides that hurdle, you can just start a multiplayer game with co-op as the game type and Vortex Rikers as the map.

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only

Tippis posted:

The tricky part is getting everyone to connect, really. Besides that hurdle, you can just start a multiplayer game with co-op as the game type and Vortex Rikers as the map.

Sadly that's not the issue I have. I wish it were that simple. The issue was getting it to stay connected on map change. If you do a listen server it refuses to retain connection, so I dunno what to do.

Diabetes Forecast fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Dec 12, 2015

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Well, here's something new: Cybershade, an original WIP stand-alone game based off a modified Chocolate Doom codebase.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XbcPHGDOdVM

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

The Kins posted:

Well, here's something new: Cybershade, an original WIP stand-alone game based off a modified Chocolate Doom codebase.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XbcPHGDOdVM

Very interesting. The EGA palette the game's restricted to lends that DOS feel, but the graphics and sound need work. Gonna check it out now.

Quick trip report: There's a lot of work done here, and I can respect that. The HUD is completely new and different, there's several new interesting weapons (including a grenade launcher and a homing rocket launcher), and as far as I can tell the enemy AI is a bit different than the Doom monster AI.

The major problem this game has is its EGA palette, or more specifically the lack of different colors obscuring view and making it hard to see important things. It's the same problem the Megaman 8-Bit Deathmatch wad has; green enemies are hard to spot against green walls, and even if the enemies are different colors its difficult to figure out whats going on when the game throws gobs of bright bold colors at you, with the same tones as the enemies are colored in. What the project really needs is an artist (and a sound designer to improve weapon feel but thats beside the point).

Segmentation Fault fucked around with this message at 08:50 on Dec 12, 2015

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

the tribes: ascend revamp has been incredibly fun, honestly. really the only grind left is getting exp to unlock gear (or gold if you feel like buying that) and since all of that dumb gear leveling poo poo is gone and traits are rolled into the classes themselves it feels much more even between players. they also cut down on a lot of the pointless sidegrade weapons that just had stat differences and have added a handful of new ones so far that have been interesting. at no point did i ever really feel like things were all that unbalanced like before and it was fun to be able to pop people from across the map with a fusion mortar again. the core gameplay is still great as hell, so if anyone wants to get reacquainted with tribes then ascend is probably pretty worthy of that now.

newmans_owned
Nov 26, 2015

yet more doom-related stuff: someone managed to unearth this old pic from the unused FMV content for the 3DO version of doom

why did people think that doom 1 and 2 needed FMV cutscenes? i have no bloody idea. i guess they had to do *something* with all that extra space on the CD.

Castor Poe
Jul 19, 2010

Jar Jar is the key to all of this.
I dunno, a poorly acted FMV cutscene of Flynn swearing revenge upon the forces of Hell for killing his bunny would've been pretty loving amazing.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Regarding the 3D Realms Anthology:

Xantheous posted:

I emailed 3D Realms about the anthology situation and Mike Nielsen (3DR CEO & President) replied to me. Here are the key points he mentioned:

The 3D Realms Anthology is being discontinued for sale from both Steam and 3DRealms.com "in its current form due to changes in ownership on some of the central titles in the pack" on January 1st, 2016.

Anyone who has purchased the anthology from 3DRealms.com will still be able to download all the games they bought in the anthology from 3DRealms.com after January 1st. Same idea for those who own the Steam version, they will still be able to download and play their anthology Steam games also after January 1st.

He also said: "We are considering creating another bundle deal with the remaining games, however, nothing is decided yet in this regard."

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

So, goodbye Duke Nukem. You had good run.

Is the same thing going to happen to Megaton Edition and Kill-a-ton collection? And what will happen to the Android port?

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

laserghost posted:

And what will happen to the Android port?
TerminX (lead dev on eDuke32 and Android port) says that Gearbox reached out to him after the takeover, and that from the sound of things he's not personally worried about them.

Megaton Edition is Devolver Digital, I'd imagine they're smart enough to sort things out... I'll ask 'em on Twitter and see what happens, if anything.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

laserghost posted:

So, goodbye Duke Nukem. You had good run.

Is the same thing going to happen to Megaton Edition and Kill-a-ton collection? And what will happen to the Android port?

I doubt it'll be gone for long; once stuff gets sorted out, it'll be re-released with changes to the opening splash screens and legal text/credits. Same thing happened to the Doom games on XBLA, right?

Edit: Also, I think we should form a Steam group for this thread or something, so we can organize playing together / against each other. I'd love some Hollywood Holocaust action with you guys :clint:

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment
The duke is finally dead. :unsmith:

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Duke will be a preorder bonus for the next Borderlands or Battleborn or whatever the gently caress, I guarantee it.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xRFS-WFlT0Q

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

This belongs in a museum.

Doctor Shitfaced
Feb 13, 2012
I want to play some Christmas-themed Early FPS maps/mods while the holiday season is in full swing. I'm down for anything (Doom, Quake, Half-Life, Unreal, Duke) sans that awful expansion pack for Duke Nukem 3D. Any suggestions?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

:psyduck:

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Doctor Shitfaced posted:

I want to play some Christmas-themed Early FPS maps/mods while the holiday season is in full swing. I'm down for anything (Doom, Quake, Half-Life, Unreal, Duke) sans that awful expansion pack for Duke Nukem 3D. Any suggestions?

Grezzo 2.

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only
No, the best Christmas themed mod is Twisted Christmas for Quake. Everything else is just subpar by comparison.

https://www.quaddicted.com/reviews/twxfinal.html

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Doctor Shitfaced posted:

There's this. I haven't played much of it so I don't know how good it is though.

newmans_owned
Nov 26, 2015

Doctor Shitfaced posted:

hammy-bob christmas nightmare has you covered:

http://www.moddb.com/mods/a-hammy-bob-mod-christmas-nightmare

SparkTR
May 6, 2009

Segmentation Fault posted:

I think they meant in terms of mechanics instead of production value.

I was indeed referring to mechanics. I'd wage it won't be anything like Bioshock Infinite due to target market expectations and budget limitations, I mean looking at Underworld Ascendants animation quality and that rules out pretty much anything action-based. They'd opt for something slower and more in-line with SS2 because it's cheaper to produce and what their audience wants. That's not to say the game will be better for it, but it'll probably be what they do.

Tafferling
Oct 22, 2008

DOOT DOOT
ALL ABOARD THE ISS POLOKONZERVA

Doctor Shitfaced posted:

http://thiefmissions.com/info.cgi?m=AThiefsHoliday2004_v2_2

I don't know if you have thief 2 but this little mission is wonderfully cozy, you have to decorate the house, find cookies and a cake for incoming guests! Light the fire and put on some music!
In perfect thief style the objectives change for every difficulty settings. On easy you can bet that cookies might be somewhere near the pantry, on expert you might take a detour on the roof...

Tafferling fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Dec 13, 2015

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Hey hey, the XL Engine source code! Well, sorta I guess.

Lucius posted:

That said, however, there are some surprises in store for the release so I will not be uploading all of the code until the Beta is published. The repository will be incomplete for now but that will be rectified for the release. Also this version of the XL Engine was rebuilt recently and so it does not contain all of the functionality past builds have had. However I am moving over the code and refactoring it to fit in the new engine as I need it but until then you will see holes. No game specific functionality is pushed and the code will not build as-is. Again this will be corrected for the release – this is just getting the ball rolling.

Those italics and boldings are straight from the blog post. I hope the surprise is "everything works perfectly, with a minimum of bugs, and is released exceptionally soon" and not something like "hid a Bitcoin mining thing in it."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.
oh my god, he doesn't even have a quick shell script or batch file to build the thing? How has he not gone insane and started howling like a monkey and attempting to mate with telephone poles?