Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
Got a call back from the vet and apparently Toast is... a boy! :eyepop: A very snuggly bitey boy who loves shredding and likes trying to make a nest in my hair, but a boy nevertheless.

Everyone please adjust your pronouns accordingly!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug
I'm sorry Toast, but you must leave the Vuvalini.

Its for the best.

Apprentice Dick
Dec 1, 2009
This thread makes me want a bird so badly, especially kawaii Inko. My grandma had an African Grey who I loved despite him not liking me much, who after she passed went to my mom's friend who had another grey and was more capable of caring for it (plus two greys who get to hang all day errday). Conures are something I'm interested in, but I work ~10 hours a day and don't get more than 6 hours a day at home that I could spend with a bird. Is it possible to get a pair that could entertain each other? Cost and having good diet items available isn't much of a concern.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Honestly, 6 hours isn't bad at all. I have an African Grey and a GCC. During the week, they get a couple minutes in the morning while I get ready for work and I get them some fruit slices for breakfast. I get home at 5pm and they're out until 10. On the weekends, they are pretty much out of their cage with us all day. They're fine. Just make sure they have toys and poo poo to keep their brain occupied.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer

schnickety scribe posted:

Bath time tonight:

Conure pool party is the best kind of party :kimchi:

schnickety scribe
Jul 5, 2015

Tendai posted:

Conure pool party is the best kind of party :kimchi:

Maestro got excited and flew over when the other birdies had cleared out (they still make him nervous) and did a cute little splash-dance bath instead of doing an all out shooshle in the water like I'm used to birdies doing. I got it on video. I'll have to upload it and share in the near future.

Tea.EarlGrey.Hot.
Mar 3, 2007

"I'd like to get my hands on that fellow Earl Grey and tell him a thing or two about tea leaves."

schnickety scribe posted:

Bath time tonight:

the poofiest of poofs

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug
Taco is tolerating me today.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
Huzzah! Now to win his adoration back with kale.

Toast is defying gender stereotypes and continues to bite all my fingers and shred all the Aldi catalogues.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug
Due to the surgery I have to limit my contact with him for a month or so, so I just have him chilling on the couch next to me or sitting on my knee, things like that.

But its hard as my first instinct is to pick him up and give him a big kiss and bury my face in his feathers.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
Smelling birds is always a good choice. Soon you will be able to do it again :kimchi:

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

We finished off this kitchen roll that had a big solid cardboard tube in it, so I cut it in half and decided to try and teach Ohtori to run though it. He picked up what I wanted very very quickly, with not much persuasion needed. However since I am a terrible human it turns out the tube is somewhat small for him, BUT since he is a Good Bird he was struggling and heaving and dragging himself through anyway because the poor bastard will do anything for a cashew

:3:

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
So I noticed that Toast loving LOVES chewing foil (from my chocolate, but it has no chocolate on it, fear not). And he also loves eating pepitas (after getting into my stash of pepitas one time). So I showed him some pepitas, which got him nice and excited, and then I wrapped them up loosely in the foil, with the idea being that he will chew them out and enjoy tasty pepitas!

But alas, as soon as he could no longer see the pepitas, Toast was filled with INDIGNANT FURY and launched himself at my fingers tweeting his disapproval at being deprived of delicious snack. The pepitas are still in their foil ball. :v:

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

I worry too much about them ingesting little bits of foil to let them chew it, though Ohtori would like to very much.

How was Toast sexed? It sounds like you got it done same day?

(I forgot to contact avian vet in time (they're only here on Thursdays) about sexing Inko. Maybe next week... or next year, it's pretty cold and he's embarrassing to take on the bus)

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

Battle Pigeon posted:

I worry too much about them ingesting little bits of foil to let them chew it, though Ohtori would like to very much.

How was Toast sexed? It sounds like you got it done same day?

(I forgot to contact avian vet in time (they're only here on Thursdays) about sexing Inko. Maybe next week... or next year, it's pretty cold and he's embarrassing to take on the bus)

Yeah, I got it done by the vet when I took Toast in for a new/baby bird checkup a couple weeks back (Toast is a very healthy and happy bird and surprisingly well-behaved and non-bitey with the vet). Luckily there is a full-time avian vet in 5 days a week a quick drive away from me! They used the blood for sexing as well as a couple of other tests which all came back good.

Toast is now asleep (he is a very good birb who puts himself to bed at reasonable hours and wakes me up by jangling a bell as loud as possible every morning) after having shredded another page of an Aldi catalogue.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
Can't you mail away a feather/blood sample? Thats what breeders do in QLD/NSW anyway.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Jose Oquendo posted:

Got home from work and opened up the bird cages. My grey climbs down his cage and proceeds to shuffle his way to the bathroom while whistling Blue Danube.

Birds.

good taste in music

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

No, as the stuff gets sent off to another country, and you can't just send blood through the mail... so said the vet. Not sure about the feathers. Maybe it takes too long to arrive for them, I will try and look in a moment if there's any info online. To do it at the vet is £16.60/$25

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

Yeah, I got it done by the vet when I took Toast in for a new/baby bird checkup a couple weeks back (Toast is a very healthy and happy bird and surprisingly well-behaved and non-bitey with the vet). Luckily there is a full-time avian vet in 5 days a week a quick drive away from me! They used the blood for sexing as well as a couple of other tests which all came back good.

Toast is now asleep (he is a very good birb who puts himself to bed at reasonable hours and wakes me up by jangling a bell as loud as possible every morning) after having shredded another page of an Aldi catalogue.

Ah right! That's super convenient. We're lucky to have one at all-they're available to the public two days a week in different places, Thursday is just very close to home.

Get Toast one of those acrylic paper roll holders :3:

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

Battle Pigeon posted:

No, as the stuff gets sent off to another country, and you can't just send blood through the mail... so said the vet. Not sure about the feathers. Maybe it takes too long to arrive for them, I will try and look in a moment if there's any info online. To do it at the vet is £16.60/$25

Ah right! That's super convenient. We're lucky to have one at all-they're available to the public two days a week in different places, Thursday is just very close to home.

Get Toast one of those acrylic paper roll holders :3:

I have one suggested as a Christmas present :kimchi: I have saved up a bunch of toilet paper cardboard rolls and chopped them up and turned them into balls. Toast has also been helping me shred expired scripts and a bunch of receipts from when I emptied out my wallet.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Watch out for foil - Pookie chewed up a big ball of it and so got sent off to the vet's for x-raying 'n stuff, and there were definitely bits of foil in her crop and digestive system. They ended up not causing any trouble, but the vet did say that bigger/sharper bits could be dangerous. :ohdear:

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

could a cockatoo fire a gun? asking for client

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

Not could it, but would it

and the answer is absolutely

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
Hi! Its that guy again, who's writing about birds without actually owning any*! If anyone has any insights or experiences with teaching their birds things, from tricks to important stuff, I'd love to read about it.

*In my defense I had two (more like one and a half) flocks of chickens and a budgie once. I'll see if I can dig up any good pictures of them. :3:

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Battle Pigeon posted:

Not could it, but would it

and the answer is absolutely

actually cockatoos don't like guns. they prefer to slowly tear their victims to shreds and hear the screams

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer

Slaughterhouse-Ive posted:

actually cockatoos don't like guns. they prefer to slowly tear their victims to shreds and hear the screams
Still, the image of a cockatoo with a tiny six-shooter is cute dangerous all around fabulous unless you're Dreggon

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

A new rule has been created in Casa Pookah - apparently at an undefined but extremely specific time of the evening it becomes "Knee O'Clock".

Before this magical time, any invitations to sit on my knee and be cuddled are quite rudely rejected, but whenever that magical time arrives, I'd best be prepared. Things in the way are thrown off the table, meals are most definitely to be abandoned. Knee O'Clock arrives and Pookie MUST sit on my knee and be snuggled for well over an hour or there will be sulking.

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

Can I ask about a bird myth?

As a young child I was strictly warned to not handle any dead birds I found, and feathers that I picked up from the ground were taken away.

The reason behind this was that they had some kind of lice and would make me sick. I always wondered about that as I got older, especially when dressing wild game like partridge or turkey. Why was it okay to handle this dead bird but not a sparrow or whatever?

Was my family just dumb, or making poo poo up so I wouldn't handle bird carcasses?

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

titties posted:

Can I ask about a bird myth?

As a young child I was strictly warned to not handle any dead birds I found, and feathers that I picked up from the ground were taken away.

The reason behind this was that they had some kind of lice and would make me sick. I always wondered about that as I got older, especially when dressing wild game like partridge or turkey. Why was it okay to handle this dead bird but not a sparrow or whatever?

Was my family just dumb, or making poo poo up so I wouldn't handle bird carcasses?

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

I think that's a general misconception since most wild birds do have lice or mites or what-have-you. But since these parasites feed off of living hosts they're not going to hang out on a discarded feather or whatever.

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

Thyrork posted:

Hi! Its that guy again, who's writing about birds without actually owning any*! If anyone has any insights or experiences with teaching their birds things, from tricks to important stuff, I'd love to read about it.

Anything more specific you'd want to read about?

Pookah posted:

A new rule has been created in Casa Pookah - apparently at an undefined but extremely specific time of the evening it becomes "Knee O'Clock".

Before this magical time, any invitations to sit on my knee and be cuddled are quite rudely rejected, but whenever that magical time arrives, I'd best be prepared. Things in the way are thrown off the table, meals are most definitely to be abandoned. Knee O'Clock arrives and Pookie MUST sit on my knee and be snuggled for well over an hour or there will be sulking.

I'd love to cuddle a Grey :3: though I'm sure 99% of them wouldn't be too happy about it

Sekkira
Apr 11, 2008

I Don't Get It,
I Don't Get It,

I take it Knee O'Clock is at an arbitrary and inconsistent time of day?

sat on my keys!
Oct 2, 2014

Thyrork posted:

*In my defense I had two (more like one and a half) flocks of chickens and a budgie once. I'll see if I can dig up any good pictures of them. :3:

I really like this blog, about training her two Pacific parrotlets. There are videos of the training and the birds are really cute.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

Battle Pigeon posted:

Anything more specific you'd want to read about?

I am totally down for you to just give me the first story, cute, informative or just in general, that comes to mind when teaching birds things.

bartlebyshop posted:

I really like this blog, about training her two Pacific parrotlets. There are videos of the training and the birds are really cute.

Thanks, will give it a look over! :shobon:

Suntan Boy
May 27, 2005
Stained, dirty, smells like weed, possibly a relic from the sixties.

Well, Mookie managed to hulk some bars off his cage. So far, he seems content to just jam all his toys through the gaps, but they're definitely big enough to stick his giant head through. I can't find the post about it, does anyone remember the recommended cages for big birbs?

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Tendai posted:

Still, the image of a cockatoo with a tiny six-shooter is cute dangerous all around fabulous unless you're Dreggon

I can imagine a cockatoo response to the sound of gunfire "You call that noise? I'll make some loving noise!"

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
Why have you betrayed me brother

(Make sure to watch it all the way through, I thought it was over but it got better :kimchi:)

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

That guillotine door being unlocked is freaking me out. it looks really dangerous.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

Potato Salad posted:

That guillotine door being unlocked is freaking me out. it looks really dangerous.

Yeah, looking at it now it looks a lot heavier than when I first watched it. Hopefully those feathers provide adequate cushioning.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug
All the guillotine doors on our bird cage are cable tied shut, to prevent the bird figuring out how they work and getting out when we aren't home.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

schnickety scribe
Jul 5, 2015

:ohdear:

.....I know it can't be that heavy but :ohdear: