Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG

Thwomp posted:

Got a link? I don't see any updates in the App Store.

It's not an update to the app, it's an update to the ATV4. Just tried it and it works :toot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Actually, I think the remote app works way better with the new Apple TV than with the old one.

Just had to log back in to Netflix after the AppleTV update and the remote app was really quick and snappy. Worked perfectly.

Kenderama
Mar 12, 2003

Herding Nerds from
2007-2012
I just updated the ATV and holy gently caress is it faster. A very noticeable speed improvement loading apps and going from like TV to Movies - all the art and stuff just slams into place.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

What the gently caress, I can't pair my remote app to the ATV4. I put in the passcode it wants and the TV just sits there :mad:

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Martytoof posted:

What the gently caress, I can't pair my remote app to the ATV4. I put in the passcode it wants and the TV just sits there :mad:

Did you try force quitting the remote app? Mine hosed up while I was trying to pair it.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Mahoning posted:

Did you try force quitting the remote app? Mine hosed up while I was trying to pair it.

Yeah, I force quit the app, rebooted the phone, rebooted the ATV, force quit the setup app on ATV.. I must just be cursed.

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
MRMC (kodi minus plugins) is out for the apple tv 4 :toot:

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
first impressions of MRMC, its plays videos well and that's about it

bugs
- it's not optimized for the touch remote at all, i pulled out my appletv 2 remote because it was so annoying
- it can't play from an smb share from osx or afp but nfs, ftp, sftp, webdav and http work
- it doesn't support my hdhomerun

They really rushed to get version 1 out the door, but I'm sure all problems will be fixed eventually, but it plays mkv files directly from a NAS and that's the most important thing

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Perplx posted:

bugs
- it's not optimized for the touch remote at all, i pulled out my appletv 2 remote because it was so annoying
- it can't play from an smb share from osx or afp but nfs, ftp, sftp, webdav and http work

They really rushed to get version 1 out the door, but I'm sure all problems will be fixed eventually, but it plays mkv files directly from a NAS and that's the most important thing

Can you connect it to a mySQL library?

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
I haven't tried but that reportably works

Opioid
Jul 3, 2008

<3 Blood Type ARRRRR

Perplx posted:

bugs

Awesome. This is what I was waiting for to replace my aging htpc. I've got a big DiskStation NAS that isn't powerful enough to do plex transcoding so it wasn't an option

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Eddie Cue confirmed that there will be a new version of the Remote app in early 2016 with full Siri functionality.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
And the CEO of CBS confirmed that Apple's live streaming service is on indefinite hold due to network/studio cost demands.

Bird Law
Nov 5, 2009

Hummingbirds are a legal tender.

Thwomp posted:

And the CEO of CBS confirmed that Apple's live streaming service is on indefinite hold due to network/studio cost demands.

Awesome, the CBS All Access model is the one we were all hoping for anyway! :bahgawd:

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

I can't imagine who would pay money to stream CBS. Their target audience is too old to know what streaming is.

milkaxor
Mar 5, 2003

I choose you!
Yay, I can now shuffle my own playlists in Apple Music after the 9.1 update. Also Siri for Apple Music works alright.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Bass Bottles posted:

I can't imagine who would pay money to stream CBS. Their target audience is too old to know what streaming is.

And other than Colbert, who gives a single poo poo about any of their lineup?

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

e.pilot posted:

And other than Colbert, who gives a single poo poo about any of their lineup?

Well there's football and basketball on CBS.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

GutBomb posted:

Well there's football and basketball on CBS.

Does the streaming service get those?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
That streaming CBS thing is also the home of the new Star Trek TV series. That will definitely get some subscribers.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
I was under the impression that the live streaming service was supposed to just be live streams of TV channels so I would imagine that it would. I think NFL is available on the NBC sports app for Sunday nights.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Pandora app is up, for whoever was asking about it.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

GutBomb posted:

I was under the impression that the live streaming service was supposed to just be live streams of TV channels so I would imagine that it would. I think NFL is available on the NBC sports app for Sunday nights.

Yeah, FOX Sports does as well, if I recall correctly.

Last I remember, CBS was in this fantasy-land where people were willing to pay for a streaming service of *just* CBS properties, including live simulcasts of what's on the air. So they locked *everything* behind a pay-wall.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
The CBS thing was introduced after HBO Now.

flosofl posted:

CBS was in this fantasy-land where people were willing to pay for a streaming service of *just* CBS properties

This is what an a la carte system actually looks like, though. People complained about the price of bundles for years, so what's likely now is to subscribe to each channel, each one overvalued because they all assume they're the cornerstone of your viewing.

That's not to say bundling is better, because sports are so expensive that they should be a premium network like HBO.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

If this is what the streaming future looks like I can't wait to see the networks all segment the markets to the point where they all collapse under their own hubris. Anyone who would pay to stream CBS is loving insane.

Rick Sanchez
Sep 22, 2004

AIDS!
You all realize that CBS has some of the highest rated shows on network television, right? If anything their hubris is slightly warranted. If any network is going to try to strike out on their own it should be CBS.

Not saying their stuff is any GOOD, I don't watch anything on CBS myself, but as far as advertisers are concerned they're the top game in town. Hell, my mother is thinking of getting a subscription because, apparently, "most of the shows we watch are on CBS."

Trust me, I think this streaming world networks want to have will buckle under its own weight if they get their way, but it's not like CBS doesn't have the numbers to back up doing their own thing.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

The thing is that CBS is a free OTA network. I know they're coming up with exclusive streaming-only content like a new Star Trek series, but I think to some it feels wrong to be paying for something they're already receiving over the air.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

Rick Sanchez posted:

You all realize that CBS has some of the highest rated shows on network television, right? If anything their hubris is slightly warranted. If any network is going to try to strike out on their own it should be CBS.

Not saying their stuff is any GOOD, I don't watch anything on CBS myself, but as far as advertisers are concerned they're the top game in town. Hell, my mother is thinking of getting a subscription because, apparently, "most of the shows we watch are on CBS."

Trust me, I think this streaming world networks want to have will buckle under its own weight if they get their way, but it's not like CBS doesn't have the numbers to back up doing their own thing.

Isn't this because they have like 5 different CSI shows? CSI is for elderly people.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
You guys realize that CBS All Access has the complete back catalog of most of their shows, plus more classic shows like I Love Lucy and Star Trek and stuff?

I mean whether that means anything to you or not, they've built some actual value into it.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Mahoning posted:

You guys realize that CBS All Access has the complete back catalog of most of their shows, plus more classic shows like I Love Lucy and Star Trek and stuff?

I mean whether that means anything to you or not, they've built some actual value into it.

That's true; but most of those properties are or have been syndicated long enough that we've seen them enough. Probably not a wise decision, in CBS's situation, to bundle back catalog with current content if it is what is inflating the price (it's not, though). HBO's back content has always been locked behind a pay wall, so the back catalog contains things someone might've wanted to see that they didn't for price considerations. No one is getting their first chance to see I Love Lucy.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Bass Bottles posted:

Isn't this because they have like 5 different CSI shows? CSI is for elderly people.

Big Bang Theory is their biggest. It's pretty much second only to Walking Dead. (Using 18-49 ratings because total viewers doesn't matter.)

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I will be shocked if the new Star Trek series doesn't beat Game of Thrones for most pirated TV series due to their decision to put it behind the All Access paywall, and because (last I heard) there's no way to watch it outside of the US.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Cbs only has high ratings because the people rating shows are old white people and that's exactly who their network pampers to. Even Colberts new show is aimed for older people when it comes to who is being interviewed and what music they have on the show.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

noirstronaut posted:

Cbs only has high ratings because the people rating shows are old white people

While it's true that a lot of their product skewers old (especially news), 'ratings' gives no shits about anyone over 49 because advertisers won't pay jack to reach those people.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Yeah, but for a subscription service who cares? A 55yo's $5.99/mo is as good as a 27yo's to CBS.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I can't find an answer online, are the Cartoon Network or the slate of Comcast Universal cable channel apps Apple TV 4 compatible?

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Watch CN: No, but the Disney networks and Nick are already there, so it's probably already underway.

Comcast live TV apps that could allow you to use an ATV to extend cable to a new tv circumventing monthly fees for a second box: Of course not.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Craptacular! posted:

Watch CN: No, but the Disney networks and Nick are already there, so it's probably already underway.

Comcast live TV apps that could allow you to use an ATV to extend cable to a new tv circumventing monthly fees for a second box: Of course not.

Thanks for checking! I had a feeling Comcast's apps weren't available, but I don't think they're completely adverse to showing their content on the big screen through an Apple TV--they don't block AirPlay, after all.

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Dec 11, 2015

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
After messing around with different types of content this week, I'm ready to proclaim that VLC can't get here fast enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
Honestly I prefer plex; yes it requires a secondary device but I've found box not playing various audio tracks on iOS, etc.