Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

some texas redneck posted:

No decent parts to mention, but don't the computers usually have fluid info? I've run into entirely too many counter jockeys who have no idea how to look up fluid types or capacities, even though I know the info is usually there.

Yup, the catalog screen in our system has a nice big button that says fluid specs. The pain in the rear end is that it lists the specs without mentioning what meets those specs so you have to look individually at each thing of oil to find what you need. Ex: Finding oil for the new TDI VW engines. It calls for VW spec 507. The highest we had in the store or could even order in was 505.

Though thank you for reminding me, I'mma make them look it up and figure it out. Dem boys gonna learn them some poo poo bout oils.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

For gently caress's sake if you live 5 minutes from your job and you're habitually 45 minutes late to relieve the workers on the previous shift who can't leave until you get there, just stay home instead and suck-start a 12-gauge instead of waiting the 10 years that diabetes and coronary artery disease will take as you die alone and rotting in your catshit-encrusted hovel, you 400 pound bag of dicks.

Some days I should have just called in. gently caress today.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Oh THAT'S who you are on here. :v:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Goddamnit. People do not need to be calling me at 1 loving 15 in the morning unless their house is on fire or someone just died. That's nice that you're drunk, and I'm really happy to hear you got laid tonight (no I'm not actually, it's been way too long for me and Rosy Palmer's brothers and cousins and friends have lost their touch), but don't wake me up to tell me.

I'd just fallen asleep too. :fuckoff:

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 08:22 on Dec 11, 2015

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

Enourmo posted:

Oh THAT'S who you are on here. :v:

LOL. My rants are omni-present. I don't post that much because work blocks the somethingawful submission page but not the forums themselves, and that's when I read the forums usually. poo poo just happened to hit the fan today.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Elmnt80 posted:

So AI, I have a favor to ask you. I've got counter jockeys that need training for our new store opening in regards to using the catalogs. I need some rare/hard to find part numbers that would be in a catalog, but not something easily able to be looked up in the computer system. I've got a few marine parts I use along with some stuff like Crankshaft Bearing shims on a 1941 Chevy with a 216ci that look like triangles (The customer's description). You guys got any more good ones?

EDIT: Preferably that aren't fake ones. Having them looking for the lower radiator hose on an aircooled 911, vw bus/beetle, corvair or old fiat 500 is only funny the first 3-4 times.

Dozens of part numbers for toyota diesels never sold in the US any good?

I wonder if they could find the crank bearings for a Daihatsu Scat?

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Goddamnit. People do not need to be calling me at 1 loving 15 in the morning unless their house is on fire or someone just died. That's nice that you're drunk, and I'm really happy to hear you got laid tonight (no I'm not actually, it's been way too long for me and Rosy Palmer's brothers and cousins and friends have lost their touch), but don't wake me up to tell me.

thats what you get for giving Rhyno your number.

I ran aground again. a new gash 3" higher than the last one on the right knee. summbitch. loving sharp ikea furniture.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
god drat it somebody took a poo poo on the sidewalk and I didn't see it

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

cursedshitbox posted:

thats what you get for giving Rhyno your number.

But nothing was mentioned about getting laid on the floor :confused:

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

you ever get nostalgic for what was objectively the worst time in your life?

2007-2008 was basically a crossroads when i could have hosed up for good and gone into a downward spiral of drugs, police encounters and eventually probably homelessness had a made a couple more mistakes

i was blowing all my money on pot, getting more and more reckless trying other drugs, being a lot more cavalier about driving drunk cause "hey man its only down the block" and basically doing nothing at all of value with my life

i was hanging out with shadier and shadier dudes and the people i called friends were basically using me as a free taxi and more often than not food-buyer

it all culminated in me getting arrested, losing my first job, getting punched in the face by my "best friend" and pretty much falling out of touch with the rest (who did not share my beef with him and for whom he was basically the "hub" if that makes sense), all within a few months. E: oh and i lost my license right after gtting a new job due to forgetting to pay a speeding ticket. that was a fun few months.

basically my entire life would be objectively better if i'd never met this dude, none of that had ever happened and i'd stayed in school the first time around

and yet... it's the only time in my life i ever remember feeling something that resembles happiness. despite the shadiness there were some fun times, i was actually going out and meeting people and having fun, i wasn't spending all hours of the day and night worrying about the loving future and spinning my wheels about all the fun times i can't afford, and i was just generally content with the state of things at the time. and i loving miss that, drat it all, despite the fact it's also the greatest source of misery in my life.

basically what the gently caress

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

:wtc: My phone just rang again.

Same friend.

More drunk. Goddamnit.

This is the part where I'm going to sound really bitchy... because I am really bitchy. It's enough of a bitch for me to fall asleep that it takes me at least an hour of laying down in a completely silent and dark room before I even begin to feel drowsy.

Enourmo posted:

you ever get nostalgic for what was objectively the worst time in your life?

2007-2008 was basically a crossroads when i could have hosed up for good and gone into a downward spiral of drugs, police encounters and eventually probably homelessness had a made a couple more mistakes

Sounds like my life, except replace 07-08 with 98-00. And replace "eventually probably homelessness" with "living in my car for a bit". Still amazed I never got arrested, I did some really stupid poo poo.

e: I wound up living in my car briefly in 1995 too. Always fun when you get outed to your very conservative (and in my hometown, at the time anyway, very well known) family.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 11:11 on Dec 11, 2015

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I got home at like 2:30 AM from one ridiculously awesome concert. Screw being completely wasted at work today, I had a blast.

Kaleidobolt, The Ritual and motherfucking The Atomic Bitchwax played in the old meatpacking district of Copenhagen in KB18, which is probably one of the most eclectic and totally rock'n'roll venues I've ever been to. It's an old low-ceiling warehouse complete with "eh, that'll do" furniture, plenty of cheap beer on tap, great sound and no noise restrictions whatsoever. It was a perfect fit for the bands and entry was only ~$9, which was a total steal for TAB, let alone for two other bands as well.

It was a total riff-fest, and Chris Kornik is an absolute bass-playing god. I have no idea how anyone can be that fast and tight and yet totally relaxed and grooving. You can feel the amazing chemistry in the band as they play, it's fantastic. I read a review somewhere that described their sound as "thunder-boogie" "designed to be blasted out of a drop top Camaro" and I couldn't agree more. Old school bitchin' rock'n'roll.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yHIJTEHaWY0

If you ever get the chance to see them live, do it!

E: And their entire back catalog is available for download for $5 on their website: http://www.theatomicbitchwax.com/Download.html

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 12:26 on Dec 11, 2015

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

BraveUlysses posted:

Ok, finally getting around to running CAT6 on my house soon

Worth it to spring the extra money for solid copper instead of CCA? CCA is 50 bucks cheaper for 1k feet. no runs will be over 100 feet.

$50 is worth the peace of mind that comes with buying the proper kit for the job. Also gently caress doing a job twice because of cheap poo poo, running cables more than once is not a thing I find enjoyable because someone cheaped out of the cabling. Buy once, cry once.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?

This happened to me too last night, except somebody actually did die :smith:

Best bud from college died in his sleep unexpectedly.

Rest in peace, buddy

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

Adiabatic posted:

This happened to me too last night, except somebody actually did die :smith:

Best bud from college died in his sleep unexpectedly.

Rest in peace, buddy

drat dude, thats wicked sucky :(

:wtc: My phone just rang again.

Same friend.

More drunk. Goddamnit.

This is the part where I'm going to sound really bitchy... because I am really bitchy. It's enough of a bitch for me to fall asleep that it takes me at least an hour of laying down in a completely silent and dark room before I even begin to feel drowsy.

I would kill someone if they did this to me. Im the same way, it takes HOURS for me to fall asleep but I leave my cell phone on quiet since I get random texts all the time. I tell anyone that if there is a real emergency to call my house phone.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Me too but the joke is on them for I do not have a house phone.

Dad's aortic valve replacement had to wait until morning.

In all seriousness, sorry about your friend. This is a bad week for cat and friend deaths.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Hey AI, look at this website for your non-AI-but-wanna-be-AI buddies!

NEAT

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

jonathan posted:

Me too but the joke is on them for I do not have a house phone.

Dad's aortic valve replacement had to wait until morning.

In all seriousness, sorry about your friend. This is a bad week for cat and friend deaths.

Thanks dude. My family is putting my childhood dog friend down this afternoon too, so this week has been interesting to say the least.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Adiabatic posted:

Thanks dude. My family is putting my childhood dog friend down this afternoon too, so this week has been interesting to say the least.

I'm so sorry dude :(

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Adiabatic posted:

Damnit, buddy, that's the wrong kind of updates I want to hear from you. :(

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

KozmoNaut posted:

I got home at like 2:30 AM from one ridiculously awesome concert. Screw being completely wasted at work today, I had a blast.

Kaleidobolt, The Ritual and motherfucking The Atomic Bitchwax played in the old meatpacking district of Copenhagen in KB18, which is probably one of the most eclectic and totally rock'n'roll venues I've ever been to. It's an old low-ceiling warehouse complete with "eh, that'll do" furniture, plenty of cheap beer on tap, great sound and no noise restrictions whatsoever. It was a perfect fit for the bands and entry was only ~$9, which was a total steal for TAB, let alone for two other bands as well.

It was a total riff-fest, and Chris Kornik is an absolute bass-playing god. I have no idea how anyone can be that fast and tight and yet totally relaxed and grooving. You can feel the amazing chemistry in the band as they play, it's fantastic. I read a review somewhere that described their sound as "thunder-boogie" "designed to be blasted out of a drop top Camaro" and I couldn't agree more. Old school bitchin' rock'n'roll.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yHIJTEHaWY0

If you ever get the chance to see them live, do it!

E: And their entire back catalog is available for download for $5 on their website: http://www.theatomicbitchwax.com/Download.html

You posted the wrong song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DBR3a_YNfYo

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Oh poo poo, hats off to SSS for front paging it on Jalopnik!

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Ozmiander posted:

You posted the wrong song:

I admire their dedication to the gimmick, but I grew out of GWAR years ago.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Phone posted:

This is my second frontpage, it's really weird watching normal people take potshots at me in the comments!

Wish things were better right now so I could enjoy it :( I miss my little buddy.

extreme_accordion
Apr 9, 2009

Phone posted:

Another good read too!

SSS we had the same thing happen to our cat as well.
As our first pet, in our new place, just married, it was a pretty lovely shock.
Our vet said it can be very typical in male cats 1 - 1.5yrs. I know reading that doesn't make it any easier.
Our current cat is going on 10 years and is a total lap dog and attention whore.
Still miss our sweet little tuxedo but as far as alpha tabbys go this guy is the poo poo.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
There's a front page [on Jalopnik]?

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Ok then

Galler posted:

I just found out that there is a FLIR One for Android phones. Definitely picking one of those up now. I wanted to get a E4 and upgrade it to a E8 but between the new firmware and $1000 price tag I think the One will do just fine.

e:fb, on the Android One
Very interesting. Sounds like something I should pickup once they have a USB type-C version (for longevity and as my phone is already type-c)

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

extreme_accordion posted:

Another good read too!

SSS we had the same thing happen to our cat as well.
As our first pet, in our new place, just married, it was a pretty lovely shock.
Our vet said it can be very typical in male cats 1 - 1.5yrs. I know reading that doesn't make it any easier.
Our current cat is going on 10 years and is a total lap dog and attention whore.
Still miss our sweet little tuxedo but as far as alpha tabbys go this guy is the poo poo.

Yeah, after doing a bunch of reading I think it is cardiomyopathy. They are going to do a necropsy and find out.

My other cat is going on seven years now. The first day or so she was looking for him all over the house. I think she understands, but it breaks my heart still when I see her doing it.

I went to work today to get away from the house if nothing else.

Thank you for your words.

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

KozmoNaut posted:

I admire their dedication to the gimmick, but I grew out of GWAR years ago.

At least you can admit you're wrong.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

e: I wound up living in my car briefly in 1995 too. Always fun when you get outed to your very conservative (and in my hometown, at the time anyway, very well known) family.

yeeeep. Once at 17, and again at 22. at least the hearse was roomier the second go round.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Elmnt80 posted:

So AI, I have a favor to ask you. I've got counter jockeys that need training for our new store opening in regards to using the catalogs. I need some rare/hard to find part numbers that would be in a catalog, but not something easily able to be looked up in the computer system. I've got a few marine parts I use along with some stuff like Crankshaft Bearing shims on a 1941 Chevy with a 216ci that look like triangles (The customer's description). You guys got any more good ones?

EDIT: Preferably that aren't fake ones. Having them looking for the lower radiator hose on an aircooled 911, vw bus/beetle, corvair or old fiat 500 is only funny the first 3-4 times.

Starter motor for a firstgen Prius. Bet no one has heard that one yet :v:

(there isn't one)

If you want to teach them not to trust parts catalogs absolutely, have them look up the tcase rear output seal for a 1998 XJ, 4.0L, auto, w/AC, NP231. It's going to recommend the wrong seal, probably a 4370N or SKF 14978, what is needed is an SKF 18108 or anything it crossrefs to. Many of the parts catalogs think it's that the NP231 takes one and the NP242 takes the other, almost none have it right and list the 14978 for 95- and the 18108 for 96+.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

kastein posted:

Starter motor for a firstgen Prius. Bet no one has heard that one yet :v:

(there isn't one)

If you want to teach them not to trust parts catalogs absolutely, have them look up the tcase rear output seal for a 1998 XJ, 4.0L, auto, w/AC, NP231. It's going to recommend the wrong seal, probably a 4370N or SKF 14978, what is needed is an SKF 18108 or anything it crossrefs to. Many of the parts catalogs think it's that the NP231 takes one and the NP242 takes the other, almost none have it right and list the 14978 for 95- and the 18108 for 96+.

Yeah, thats why I use the 41 chevy. There isn't actually a listing for that year under the 216, and the closest years list the wrong style. It gets them to use the books to get as close as possible, but to also talk to the customer on poo poo like that and make sure its right.

EDIT: Also thanks kastien, I was willing to bet you had some good ones.

EDIT 2 ELECTRIC BOOGALOO: I also went out and bought a new phone today. HTC Desire 626s. Its the first new phone I've bought in 10 years that wasn't a cheap go phone flip phone or someone's 5 year old used phone. I was looking at the HTC 520 (because aluminum casing > features) through cricket since while I hate ATT's customer service, I love their actual coverage and service. But their really cool salesman quoted me 130-135 OTD 2 days ago only to have their bitchy store manager refuse to honor the price and tell me it would be 170 and giving me a hard sale on insurance. So I went next door and signed up at metro on the equivalant plan with this phone for $127 with a case thrown in while bullshitting with him about tool shopping. :toot:

Elmnt80 fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Dec 11, 2015

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Adiabatic posted:

Hey AI, look at this website for your non-AI-but-wanna-be-AI buddies!

NEAT
I think I recognise the material they're using for the site. I think it may be from one of the AA Book Of The Car books or derivatives from the 70s/80s.

Edit: Yeah, I'm almost certain it's from the AA's 1983 Car Maintenance Course.

InitialDave fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Dec 11, 2015

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Adiabatic posted:

Yeah, 2015 has been rough so far. Hang in there man.

Edit:
There we go.

Coredump fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Dec 11, 2015

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Somehow 2015 has been my best year ever. Guess I'm lucky.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

2015 has been great to me. It's lovely for a second but it's been overwhelmingly positive.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

My 2015 has been ruff as stuff. I'm glad to hear its going well for you guys though.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

I got a job, got a promotion, got a raise and got my truck working. 2015 has been a damned fine year overall despite some sadness and alot of stress with it.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
2015 has been a year and still will be for a few more weeks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation
2015 has averaged out for me. Good things and bad things.

• Locked thread