Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I want to be the guy who pulls up hardwood to find a pristine carpet underneath.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I want to be the guy who pulls up hardwood to find a pristine carpet underneath.

Just lay a carpet and then hire a guy to walk all over it with boots and sprinkle sawdust over it

Time Trial
Aug 5, 2004

A saucerful of cyanide
Who wants an egg penis? http://www.amazon.com/Rollie-Hands-Free-Automatic-Electric-Vertical/dp/B00C77LNR8

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

I hung out with a few other food goons a few months ago, and one of them brought a rollie as a joke.

It, no word of a lie, actually makes super good eggs. We were completely flabbergasted.

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Good thing I was feeling suicidal this morning...
Fallen Rib
A Fleshlight that produces eggs? I thought the only perk of Fleshlights is that they are never on their period.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

I hung out with a few other food goons a few months ago, and one of them brought a rollie as a joke.

It, no word of a lie, actually makes super good eggs. We were completely flabbergasted.

I remember you guys talking about but I haven't been able to find many good reviews online. Are you sure it wasn't having good times with good peoples?

I refuse to believe that thing makes decent food. Otherwise I'd have it in my cube at work.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Screw it. I bought one. Gonna let my 10 year old make her own eggs.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I bought one as a laugh. The eggs are not bad because when they cook they expand enough to pop themselves out before they get overcooked I guess?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

It's not hard to imagine something like that making a decent scramble if it heated evenly to just the right amount. Probably easy to engineer for a purpose built device.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Does it try and make it like Tamagoyaki?

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

The best part is when it's done the eggs pop out like a chestburster.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
It's easy to make fun of stuff like the rollie or hot dog weasel or whatever, and the commercials don't do them any favors, but they can actually do a lot for people with accessibility issues. People who physically can't use a stove can still fix themselves some eggs to eat or whatever under their own power.

Point being, Alton's kind of a dick.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

only kind of? :v:

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
Hey he hates unitaskers is all. Just look at the contraption he made for baked buffalo wings!

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
"Unitaskers are bad, now let me show you how to build a cold smoker with nothing more than an old refrigerator with a hole cut in the side, some HVAC duct, two ceramic pots, and a hot plate."

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It's not a unitasker because it also serves as an attractive nuisance to suffocate neighborhood kids

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Rollie is not a unitasker because you can use egg dildos for more than one thing

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
Ashens reviewed the Egg Master. Pretty funny watching the egg squirm and flop out. Money shot at 8:15

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFP5mmPZe_c

What a world, get rich by coming up with progressively retarded ways to cook the simplest-to-cook food.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

Croatoan posted:

Hey he hates unitaskers is all. Just look at the contraption he made for baked buffalo wings!

Now that I'm not on my phone just look at this bullshit.

Dumbest loving thing this side of the rollie.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Did you make one?

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
I remember an ep where he built a crane for lowering a turkey into a deep fryer.

e: here it is

theres a will theres moe fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Dec 12, 2015

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Did you make one?

gently caress no. It took more googling than I expected.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Croatoan posted:

Now that I'm not on my phone just look at this bullshit.

Dumbest loving thing this side of the rollie.

I... kind of want to make one

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Everybody's gotta learn sometime
Idgi what's wrong with a multi layer steamer?

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

sweat poteto posted:

Idgi what's wrong with a multi layer steamer?

he preaches about never having a single-purpose device/utensil/appliance and then builds a chicken-parts-baker out of three colanders.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
There's also the stupid terra cotta pot thing. And the fact that he freaks out over the idea of anyone who's not a `professional' sharpening knives.

I mean I'm not exactly in love with Kenji the way that the internet seems to be in love with Kenji, but as far as stupid food celebrities go he's way the gently caress better than Alton Brown.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

SubG posted:

There's also the stupid terra cotta pot thing. And the fact that he freaks out over the idea of anyone who's not a `professional' sharpening knives.

I mean I'm not exactly in love with Kenji the way that the internet seems to be in love with Kenji, but as far as stupid food celebrities go he's way the gently caress better than Alton Brown.

I remember that, that whole stupid terra cotta pot with the ring of foil and whatever else. Even on a first viewing, my roommate and I discussed whether alton really expected anyone to run to lowe's and buy terra cotta pots and cinder blocks or whatever to smoke a piece of fish or whatever the gently caress that ep was about.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Uh. I did exactly that. That setup still works better than my actual smoker for stuff like fish, nuts and salt.

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Good thing I was feeling suicidal this morning...
Fallen Rib

Number 1 Sexy Dad posted:

I remember that, that whole stupid terra cotta pot with the ring of foil and whatever else. Even on a first viewing, my roommate and I discussed whether alton really expected anyone to run to lowe's and buy terra cotta pots and cinder blocks or whatever to smoke a piece of fish or whatever the gently caress that ep was about.

It's been like a decade since I saw that, and I still wish I had a house so I could built it. :sweatdrop:

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
Yea, I love making homemade smokers.

Now, were I allowed to have a fridge smoker in the yard I would not mess with bricks and poo poo.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.

bongwizzard posted:

Now, were I allowed to have a fridge smoker in the yard I would not mess with bricks and poo poo.

Sounds like somebody is pinin' for trailer park livin'. It's the ultimate in rustic!

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
There is a stock-tank hottub in the yard and a bloodhound alseep at my feet, im almost there already.

phthalocyanine
May 19, 2013

Number 1 Sexy Dad posted:

he preaches about never having a single-purpose device/utensil/appliance and then builds a chicken-parts-baker out of three colanders.

It's ridiculous and hypocritical but I always got the idea that his point gets muddled in Food Network's packaging. It seems like he's preaching that you don't need to spend a ton of money on crappy culinary gadgetry that people who don't cook think they need to make something, when you can be inventive and gently caress around with what you have on hand to figure out how to make food. It's not a bad idea, but the shtick gets old really quick, like the episode where he suggests putting handles on hardware store wire to cut cakes with and fails to mention that there are manufacturers that sell that exact thing pre-made for pretty cheaply. Like he's creating a new barrier for entry to cooking while trying to eliminate one?

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

bongwizzard posted:

There is a stock-tank hottub in the yard and a bloodhound alseep at my feet, im almost there already.

One of us. One of us.

Secret Spoon
Mar 22, 2009

The best episode is when he puts those to front ends of a sedan together.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

My wife and I are really into the British Baking Show Challenge or whatever it's called on Netflix. She wants a book on the chemistry and science of baking, any suggestions?

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

The Midniter posted:

My wife and I are really into the British Baking Show Challenge or whatever it's called on Netflix. She wants a book on the chemistry and science of baking, any suggestions?

It's not the most exciting read, but On Food and Cooking by McGee is a tome of sciency cooking and baking.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

The Midniter posted:

The Great British Bake-Off! We watch religiously (ie on our knees).

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Everybody's gotta learn sometime
It's called The Great British Baking Show in the US though because what even is a bake-off?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

I love the baking show. Everyone is just so nice to each other. :3:

Also:

The United States Department of Agriculture says a sandwich must contain at least 35 percent cooked meat and no more than 50 percent bread
http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2015/04/14/dining/field-guide-to-the-sandwich.html?_r=0