Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

sector_corrector posted:

this guy fights the first dlc boss (i guess i'll do spoilers since we have new people reading) bare handed on ng+7. his voice is terrible tho...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WM-n3nSLY20

I think he's done this with every DLC boss except the optional one now. This dude always does crazy challenges in Souls games

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HolePisser1982
Nov 3, 2002

Harrow posted:

I think he's done this with every DLC boss except the optional one now. This dude always does crazy challenges in Souls games

hes the best. when From invited streamers to see dark souls 3, he was the one testing bare fist damage

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

HolePisser1982 posted:

hes the best. when From invited streamers to see dark souls 3, he was the one testing bare fist damage

Lol

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Is he the guy who made the Double Pursuers NG+7 Neo video

HolePisser1982
Nov 3, 2002
hahah i forgot about that one. thats someone else
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hfo_sbhI5oY

HolePisser1982
Nov 3, 2002
vageta311 casually parrying havel holds a special place for me

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1hrh94Dc-h0&t=762s

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

tumor looking batty posted:

i killed rom by killing all the baby spider and then killing him. it was epic and tedious

I just rin in a huge circle wjoch is probably as tedious as kill8ng tjw babies

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

HolePisser1982 posted:

I miss vageta311's videos. I hope he starts making them again for DS3.

mysterious loyall X posted:

I just rin in a huge circle wjoch is probably as tedious as kill8ng tjw babies

I always kill all the spiders but it's just because I'm really good at dodging the meteors now

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

HolePisser1982 posted:

hahahahahaahahahaa

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

That opening double-parry in the neo video is the best

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Bobnumerotres posted:

hahahahahaahahahaa

One of the best vids of all time for my money.. video games or otherwise.

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

HolePisser1982 posted:

omg.........

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

HolePisser1982 posted:

i can do that :-D

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
i've always sucked at parrying, although obviously i'm a bit better in bloodborne where you can parry spam a little easier. idk what it is.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I'm great at parrying in Demon's Souls and Dark Souls (and Bloodborne) but absolutely terrible at it in Dark Souls 2. The timing is so weird and I never really got it in all my time playing

The parry timing in Demon's and Dark is "swing your shield so that it hits your attacker's hand." It always works.

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

i beat that lovely npc at the grand cathedral by going up and down stairs and attacking him when he would back away.

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

I know this wasn't your original avatar but I just love this game. Cheers, rediscover.

i beat that lovely npc at the grand cathedral by going up and down stairs and attacking him when he would back away.

Shameful.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
playing through the game again is making me appreciate the story even more. yarnham is a hosed up place.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Yeah Bro posted:

He has two jumps. One which works with normal jump timing (I dunno how to explain this, but most jumps in BB follow the same delay on rolling. It's consistent enough across the game such that when I first fraught Ludwig, I was able to dodge his jump purely based on that timing) and the other has a big delay on it, but has a visual cue of blood dripping from the ceiling. The blood drips at even intervals, and Ludwig drops when the third blood drip would occur, so you can work out the timing based on that visual cue.

People in the (terrible) Games thread say there's an audio cue too, but I am too tone deaf to confirm that for myself. Hope that helps, couldn't imagine defeating Ludwig with a SL4 char myself.

When it comes to dodging his "stay in the air" leap, don't dodge at all. Just pick a direction and sprint. He'll land just behind you.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
he has one short jump that always seems to catch me, even if i do the sprinting thing

Yeah Bro
Feb 4, 2012

Harrow posted:

When it comes to dodging his "stay in the air" leap, don't dodge at all. Just pick a direction and sprint. He'll land just behind you.

People say this works, but I reckon it leaves you in a worse position afterword. A single roll will use less stamina and put you in place to smash his head with an r2 or two.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

sector_corrector posted:

he has one short jump that always seems to catch me, even if i do the sprinting thing

Yeah, that one you have to roll. It worked for me to just spam roll when he did the short jump, but that was mostly luck.

Yeah Bro posted:

People say this works, but I reckon it leaves you in a worse position afterword. A single roll will use less stamina and put you in place to smash his head with an r2 or two.

It probably does leave you less able to counterattack strongly afterwards but that's worth it to me for something that's a 100% guarantee of not getting flattened. I just turned around and smacked him with an R1 then continued fighting as normal.

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

Harrow posted:

my way of doing it is to run towards him but keep running once u reach where he jumped from. i do this for kos too

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The Kos jumps were the easiest to dodge for me since idk they never seemed to properly connect so I would get like 4 free hits

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

I got orphan down to one hit on my first attempt and now I can't even get to phase 2

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

the blades of mercy are fun

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

the blades of mercy are fun

I think my most fun character before DLC was one where I stockpiled lots of early poison knives and killed Maria the first time she showed up at a really low sl and did the whole game with BoM. Really fun move set

a Loving Dog
May 12, 2001

more like a Barking Dog, woof!
i hate the abhorrent beast and i hate how many of them you have to kill over the course of chalice dungeons

a Loving Dog
May 12, 2001

more like a Barking Dog, woof!

In Training posted:

The Kos jumps were the easiest to dodge for me since idk they never seemed to properly connect so I would get like 4 free hits

the kos jump you can literally take two walking steps forward, turn around and visceral him for mega dmg

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

In Training posted:

I think my most fun character before DLC was one where I stockpiled lots of early poison knives and killed Maria the first time she showed up at a really low sl and did the whole game with BoM. Really fun move set

The secret character Maria the Crow...

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

:doh: Eileen of course

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

a Loving Dog posted:

the kos jump you can literally take two walking steps forward, turn around and visceral him for mega dmg

I don't think this works in form 2 when he jumps above your view but it's what I do in form 1.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I.N.R.I posted:

my way of doing it is to run towards him but keep running once u reach where he jumped from. i do this for kos too

Yeah that definitely works. Only leap I still really have trouble dodging is Maria's but that's just because I keep dodging towards her, which is what works for Gehrman's "jump in the air and shoot an air blast" attack but gets me hit by Maria's leap

also your holiday av owns

dromal phrenia
Feb 22, 2004

thse games will hopefully cure me of my anxiety over dying in games which stems from playing everquest at a young age where one death basically hosed a weeks worth of time out of you

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

dromal phrenia posted:

thse games will hopefully cure me of my anxiety over dying in games which stems from playing everquest at a young age where one death basically hosed a weeks worth of time out of you

Why did anyone ever think this was a good way to make a game. I understand hardcore modes in Diablo but this seems ridiculous in an mmo

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Benny D posted:

Why did anyone ever think this was a good way to make a game. I understand hardcore modes in Diablo but this seems ridiculous in an mmo

Carry-over from MUDs, where it was a carry-over from tabletop D&D (actually MUDs tend to be a lot kinder). If you die in classic D&D you're dead for good unless your pals get someone to resurrect you, in which case you lose levels and it's also harder if your body was destroyed. In MUDs they just made it so dying made you lose your gear and some experience so you had to run back to your corpse to get your gear, and EQ was pretty much just a 3D MUD when it came out so it copied that wholesale. People just didn't think about it for a while because that was how it had always been so it was clearly the "right" way to do it, and you know how nerds are when you change things on them.

It's actually kind of interesting to see the XP/gear penalty on death slowly fade away through generations of MMOs. I remember when City of Heroes came out and it did away with losing XP on death and instead you got an XP debt so you'd get half XP until you paid it off and it seemed so much more friendly. Then WoW came along and it was just a durability penalty with a corpse run to avoid a resurrection sickness debuff. Now some MMOs don't even bother to penalize you at all. In GW2 your equipment slowly breaks but it's free to repair it so it's a minor inconvenience at worst.

sorry for the nerdpost but I used to play MUDs and I find all this poo poo stupidly fascinating

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

gently caress the three hunters in the chapel!!!!!

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

gently caress the three hunters in the chapel!!!!!

If you mean yahargul use the stairs

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Or run outside, sometimes that helps, gives you more room and sometimes you can get them to screw up their pathfinding.

They're some dicks though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I always run past them