Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I have to enter my CAC PIN every 15 minutes when I have outlook open, and the MRMC VPN for remote work turns off after 2 minutes of inactive internet activity. Not 2 minutes of computer activity, internet activity. poo poo disconnects me when I'm typin' a loving email.

I loving hate working with the Army.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Vasudus posted:

I have to enter my CAC PIN every 15 minutes when I have outlook open, and the MRMC VPN for remote work turns off after 2 minutes of inactive internet activity. Not 2 minutes of computer activity, internet activity. poo poo disconnects me when I'm typin' a loving email.

I loving hate working with the Army.

loving this. And he prompt to register my poo poo every time I open word or outlook. AND to type my pin when I open explorer.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

I work with military customers just enough to appreciate how great it is to not be working for the military full time.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
AKO is a brilliant piece of craftsmanship showcasing the absolute worst forms of IT systems management at every possible level in every possible way. It is without a doubt in my mind the most perfectly crafted example of how not to do anything, ever, related to computers.

Not bullshitting in the least when I say it should be distributed as an instructive example of exactly what not to do for everything. Hardware, software, user experience, interface. Everything is flawlessly flawed.

That being said 8 months left on IRR so I've been out almost as much time as I was in and HAHAHA SOME OF YOU FUCKERS ARE STILL IN.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken

SumYungGui posted:

That being said 8 months left on IRR so I've been out almost as much time as I was in and HAHAHA SOME OF YOU FUCKERS ARE STILL IN.

:byewhore:

I'm jealous.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Thankfully I don't have to deal with too much Army stupidity, just a few things that really grind my gears because the rest of my job is effortless. It also brings me great pleasure to know that my company is charging them an obscene amount of money for my services. Sure, I only see a portion of that money, but it's the thought. gently caress the Army.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

quote:

(CNN)For the first time in 40 years, the U.S. Army is making changes to a century-old piece of hardware, dog tags, the identification implements that hang around each soldier's neck.

For a low-tech thing like the aluminum dog tag, the reason for the change is decidedly high-tech, the threat of identity theft. On the new dog tags, the service member's Social Security number will be replaced with a randomly-generated, 10-digit Department of Defense identification number.

"If you find a pair of lost ID tags you can pretty much do anything with that person's identity because you now have their blood type, their religion, you have their social, and you have their name. The only thing missing is their birth date and you can usually get that by Googling a person," Michael Klemowski, Soldiers Programs Branch chief, U.S. Army Human Resources Command, said in an Army press release.

The change was mandated in 2007, but it has taken the military this long to replace the Social Security number with the 10-digit idea number through a number of systems, Klemowski said.

While identity theft may be among the most impersonal of crimes, the dog tags are anything but that.

"Dog tags are highly personal items to warriors of every service and to their families as well," says a Library of Congress tribute to the dog tag produced in 2012. "The tag itself individualizes the human being who wears it, despite his or her role as a small part of a huge and faceless organization. While the armed forces demand obedience and duty to a higher cause, dog tags, hanging under service members' shirts and close to their chests, remind them of their individuality."

The tags became part of the Army field kit shortly before World War I. By July 1916, the Army was issuing two of the tags to each soldier, one that would stay with the remains of those lost in battle and one that would go to the burial unit, according to the Armed Forces History Museum.

The tags "bring comfort and help calm the fears of soldiers facing death," the Library of Congress tribute says, allowing them to know they would not be forgotten or become an unknown casualty.

Klemowski said the change would not be immediate for all soldiers.

"We are focusing first on the personnel who are going to deploy. If a soldier is going to deploy, they are the first ones that need to have the new ID tags," he said in the Army release.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
Only eight years? That's pretty loving fast! Somebody deserves a medal!

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

cool another serial for soldiers to remember

Fucitol
May 8, 2005

Ceterum autem censeo mundum esse delendam

Memento, homo, quia pulvis es, et in pulverem reverteris

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

cool another serial for soldiers to remember

hmmm yes, i also feel that my ssn is a great thing to have on dog tags

maybe we should implement ssn tattoos because pvt rear end in a top hat can't lose a tattoo like a dog tag

oer worthy thinking going on here

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

Fucitol posted:

hmmm yes, i also feel that my ssn is a great thing to have on dog tags

maybe we should implement ssn tattoos because pvt rear end in a top hat can't lose a tattoo like a dog tag

oer worthy thinking going on here

yeah they might take it off your dog tags but i promise you that in 3 seconds i can probably find it somewhere else. it's probably easier for me to get your social elsewhere than around the stuff you wear around your neck.

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
The government already gives away our personal info and SSN, thanks OPM!

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Two problems with this.

One: Who the gently caress thought it was necessary and a good idea in the first place? Name, Rank and GOD drat SERIAL NUMBER. Switching to SSN in the first place was pants on head grade poo poo to begin with.

Two: As long as S1 is still a thing that has people stupid enough to join the Army this change is the most laughably ineffective effort ever. I can keep track of my dog tags, I can't keep track of whatever fucknuts scored low enough to be a paper pusher in the Army and how many times he posts the movement roster to Facebook so his FRG stripper-wife can tell all her friends.

Also, OPM.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

So they got rid of the forums on AKO. loving finally made a decent decision.

Fucitol
May 8, 2005

Ceterum autem censeo mundum esse delendam

Memento, homo, quia pulvis es, et in pulverem reverteris

Cole posted:

yeah they might take it off your dog tags but i promise you that in 3 seconds i can probably find it somewhere else. it's probably easier for me to get your social elsewhere than around the stuff you wear around your neck.

gently caress you're right

well, might as keep status quo and not do any simple changes like taking your ssn off of objects that can be easily misplaced.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Like when it used to have to be on your DA 31, or literally any other form that was stupid. I gave up caring about it, especially since I got that "Your poo poo might have been compromised" letter the govt sent out.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Unit failed to in-process me in time from ING and then as an added gently caress you, they are saying someone used whiteout on my addendum, which was not my doing.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Wasabi the J posted:

Unit failed to in-process me in time from ING and then as an added gently caress you, they are saying someone used whiteout on my addendum, which was not my doing.

loving rekt

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

Wasabi the J posted:

lol owned

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Just got a thing in the mail from whoever the IRR dude for my area is saying it's crucial I contact him (lol as if) regarding changes to the IRR program, google says they might start using IRR people a lot more frequently for nebulous jobs

Anyone know anything about these IRR changes? Because I'm going to continue not giving a poo poo about anything that isn't DOD mobilizations order in certified envelopes. On that note, does ANYONE ever respond to IRR mail? I haven't gotten muster orders in the two years since I went on terminal leave, they visited my house once, tried to add me on Facebook, and sent two forms to update my records which I never returned. Am I supposed to care more about this stuff than I do?

Justin Tyme fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Dec 12, 2015

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

lol if you're still on irr

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u

Justin Tyme posted:

Just got a thing in the mail from whoever the IRR dude for my area is saying it's crucial I contact him (lol as if) regarding changes to the IRR program, google says they might start using IRR people a lot more frequently for nebulous jobs

Anyone know anything about these IRR changes? Because I'm going to continue not giving a poo poo about anything that isn't DOD mobilizations order in certified envelopes. On that note, does ANYONE ever respond to IRR mail? I haven't gotten muster orders in the two years since I went on terminal leave, they visited my house once, tried to add me on Facebook, and sent two forms to update my records which I never returned. Am I supposed to care more about this stuff than I do?

gently caress that noise. Probably the only person that wants you to care about it is an army lifer and as such you shouldn't give a gently caress.

If they are looking for people in IRR to fill jobs gently caress knows it's gonna be menial labor and you will probably be lucky to get minimum wage.

I wouldn't even sign for registered mail from the army to be quite honest.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Justin Tyme posted:

I go to all the IRR poo poo because they pay you a little over $200 for about 20 minutes of repeating "no, not interested" over and over.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Money isn't worth acknowledging the existence of the army. If it's not registered mail I shred that poo poo. "Nope, never saw that letter. What did you want me to do?"

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

at the date posted:

I go to all the IRR poo poo because they pay you a little over $200 for about 20 minutes of repeating "no, not interested" over and over.

I would too but I have literally never gotten anything related to musters at all. I think they counted physically coming to verify my address as a muster because they asked me a bunch of questions. Those fuckers indirectly stealing money from me :argh:

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

HRC never did finish chaptering me and I sent the paperwork back in May. A letter from earlier this year said I'd get kicked at the end of December for non-promotion. So I guess this month two sets of chapter paperwork duke it out? :shrug:

Obstacle2
Dec 21, 2004
feels good man

Justin Tyme posted:

I think they counted physically coming to verify my address as a muster because they asked me a bunch of questions. Those fuckers indirectly stealing money from me :argh:

Yeah you should be getting paid for that poo poo.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken

EVA BRAUN BLOWJOBS posted:

HRC never did finish chaptering me and I sent the paperwork back in May. A letter from earlier this year said I'd get kicked at the end of December for non-promotion. So I guess this month two sets of chapter paperwork duke it out? :shrug:

They cancel each other out. Surprise, you just re-enlisted.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Is getting passed over twice a chapter? I thought they just forced you into the IRR.

Obstacle2
Dec 21, 2004
feels good man
I don't know about you guys but I'm eagerly awaiting all the angry posts coming from people who get stop-lossed to participate in Iraq War 3: Syria.

loving get out while you can.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Desert Nam 3- Hopefully we pull out at the right time.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

Are you kidding? We're as bad as my dad, can't pull out of the drat driveway.

And that's why I have eight siblings.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

The Rat posted:

Are you kidding? We're as bad as my dad, can't pull out of the drat driveway.

And that's why I have eight siblings.

Hey now, we were able to hit it and quit it in Vietnam. Eventually.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

That wasn't so much hit it and quit it as it was leaving a nasty divorce experience in disgust.

Again, like my dad! :haw:

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

The Rat posted:

That wasn't so much hit it and quit it as it was leaving a nasty divorce experience in disgust.

I set 'em up, you knock 'em down.

Like... your dad...?

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

His last ex was 49 years younger than him and really hot, and I have no mojo whatsoever, so unfortunately I can't make that comparison.

all apologies
May 13, 2008

woah
boys its been a whole year now being out

a few thoughts

i need to scrape my bowl

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

all apologies posted:

boys its been a whole year now being out

a few thoughts

i need to scrape my bowl

:feelsgood:

Agenta Khaulan
Oct 12, 2014
The IRR contacted me a few months ago to ask me questions, only prob was I was already out of IRR and I just laughed as I hung up on them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977

The Rat posted:

The us was sucessful in vietnam, as the purpose behind our involvement in the conflict was to set back a government that seeked independent democratic ideals outside of the usas interest 100 years, which we did very successfully, at the minor cost of us soldiers and tons of innocent Vietnamese lives.

• Locked thread