Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

KillHour posted:

Two reasons to get an amp:

1. You have really high (or really low) impedance cans.
2. Your source isn't loud enough and/or you want to go deaf.

What's considered low or high? I'm considering the Bose qc25s mentioned on this page. Mostly for watching/listening to stuff on my commute and at work, but also the odd PC gaming/movie watching session

Edit: I take that back, actually looking at the Bose Soundlink cans. I want me some Bluetooth as cords are always getting in the way

Looten Plunder fucked around with this message at 09:47 on Dec 2, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GokieKS
Dec 15, 2012

Mostly Harmless.
HD 600s definitely benefit more from an amp than most more modern headphones, but I wouldn't say "need" - they will still be a noticeable step up from most even without it, and both the iPhone and rMBP can drive them to acceptable (to me, at least) levels.

That said, despite how much I love the HD 600s (I've owned them for well over a decade, and I've mentioned multiple times that in terms of price/performance they're still the standard by which I judge all other headphones), I have no idea why you would possibly use it portably, especially with the stock cables (due to their ridiculous length).

Speaking of cables, I picked up the HD 598 during the sale to use at work instead of my UERMs, and the cables it comes with are annoying too. The cable that terminates to 1/4 is ridiculous long, and the cable that terminates to 1/8 has a plug that's too thick to fit into either of my phones with their case on. So, already ordered a replacement cable (FiiO RC-HD1).

Also semi-headphones related, but I didn't realize the Woo Audio WA7d can't use the RCA plugs as a pre-out like the WA7 can, which is mildly annoying. But the WA7d + WA7tp combo sure is pretty (and yes, sounds pretty nice).

GokieKS fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Dec 2, 2015

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS

Slowhanded posted:

The Fiio A3 (formerly E11k) sounds about right for your price range and need for battery. It's about the size of an iPod Touch. Your options are considerably higher quality if you can do without the need for it to be portable, however.

Yeah I'd much rather value quality over portability. Any other good options to look at here then?

GokieKS posted:

HD 600s definitely benefit more from an amp than most more modern headphones, but I wouldn't say "need" - they will still be a noticeable step up from most even without it, and both the iPhone and rMBP can drive them to acceptable (to me, at least) levels.

That said, despite how much I love the HD 600s (I've owned them for well over a decade, and I've mentioned multiple times that in terms of price/performance they're still the standard by which I judge all other headphones), I have no idea why you would possibly use it portably, especially with the stock cables (due to their ridiculous length).

Speaking of cables, I picked up the HD 598 during the sale to use at work instead of my UERMs, and the cables it comes with are annoying too. The cable that terminates to 1/4 is ridiculous long, and the cable that terminates to 1/8 has a plug that's too thick to fit into either of my phones with their case on. So, already ordered a replacement cable (FiiO RC-HD1).

Some days when cleaning the apartment or something I walk around with headphones listening to something on my phone. Obviously with the 600 this is less ideal with open back and the general bulk of the thing but hey, possible option. This is such a 1% case though I'm happy to ditch it from consideration.

Yeah the 558/598 connector is kind of annoying. A bit funny considering the 600 apparently terminates on a 3.5mm and has the 1/4" adapter - Seems like that should be flipped.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

GokieKS posted:

replacement cable (FiiO RC-HD1)

drat... $36 is a lot of money to spend on a cable for your $90 headphones.

GokieKS
Dec 15, 2012

Mostly Harmless.

MrBond posted:

Yeah I'd much rather value quality over portability. Any other good options to look at here then?

Some days when cleaning the apartment or something I walk around with headphones listening to something on my phone. Obviously with the 600 this is less ideal with open back and the general bulk of the thing but hey, possible option. This is such a 1% case though I'm happy to ditch it from consideration.

Yeah the 558/598 connector is kind of annoying. A bit funny considering the 600 apparently terminates on a 3.5mm and has the 1/4" adapter - Seems like that should be flipped.

The E17 + E09K was actually a really nice option for both being able to use as a portable DAC/amp and at home for more demanding headphones, but they're discontinued (though you may still be able to find it from some sellers). For home use only, the Schiit Modi + Magni stack and ODAC + O2 are the usual recommendations at the ~$200 level.

And I actually think the HD 580/600 way of cable termination (3.5mm that plugs into a specially shaped adapter that makes it basically a native 1/4" plug) to be probably the best I've come across, though the adapter isn't usable by other headphones. I must be in the vast minority though, as they changed it to terminate in a 1/4" on the HD 650 and all subsequent high-end headphones.

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

drat... $36 is a lot of money to spend on a cable for your $90 headphones.

There are cheaper options, including one that has an inline mic which would actually be nice to have, but Amazon user reviews indicate that sound quality is reduced and the build quality is not great. As a percentage of the headphone cost, yeah it's high, but in terms of absolute cost it's not obscene.

GokieKS fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Dec 2, 2015

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Someone in the Android thread said that Bluetooth Audio with Video is a complete shitshow. Is this the rule or an exception? This will be one of the main reasons I was going to buy some BT headphones (watching poo poo on my Nexus tablet while I commute)

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

you forgot bragging rights and adding ground hum.
Also, some amps change the sound profile a bit (see tube amps) so there's that.

I'm with KozmoNaut on this; tubes are for making music, not playing it.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

xcore posted:

What's considered low or high? I'm considering the Bose qc25s mentioned on this page. Mostly for watching/listening to stuff on my commute and at work, but also the odd PC gaming/movie watching session

Edit: I take that back, actually looking at the Bose Soundlink cans. I want me some Bluetooth as cords are always getting in the way

High impedance is just a matter of "Is it loud enough?"

On the other end, you want your source to be 1/8th (or less) the impedance of your headphones, or you start to get distortion. With particularly low impedance cans, that might require an amp.

Chimp_On_Stilts
Aug 31, 2004
Holy Hell.

xcore posted:

Someone in the Android thread said that Bluetooth Audio with Video is a complete shitshow. Is this the rule or an exception? This will be one of the main reasons I was going to buy some BT headphones (watching poo poo on my Nexus tablet while I commute)

Don't worry.

I have use several different pairs of bluetooth headphones with a Nexus 5, Nexus 7, and Nexus 6P. I watch video on YouTube, Twitch, Giantbomb, and other sources, and I've never had an issue with audio over bluetooth.

The only problem I have encountered is with the PSP emulator PPSSPP -- audio stutters over bluetooth, but not via a cable. No issues other than that.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

KillHour posted:

I'm with KozmoNaut on this; tubes are for making music, not playing it.

Yeah I'm with you on that.

Only exception being DIY amps. Tubes are fun and cheap-ish and easier to use than trying to hand solder a zillion tiny resistors to a bread board.

GokieKS
Dec 15, 2012

Mostly Harmless.
The FiiO replacement cables for the HD 598 SE came in, and it turns out that plug still won't fit into my Nexus 6P with the Verus case. It does however fit my iPhone 5S with the Spigen Neo Hybrid, which is what I actually play my music off of, so... good enough I guess. I'll probably eventually get a different case for the N6P anyway, since the revised frame bumper on this one to properly allow USB-C plug doesn't sit flush around the USB port.

GokieKS fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Dec 3, 2015

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.
Has anyone got the V-Moda XS on-ear headphones? I need to get some new headphones since mine have developed a horrible buzz in the right ear and they're 6 years old so can't do anything there. From head-fi reviews etc they seem like pretty much exactly what I want.

e: Oh Innerfidelity highly rated them as well, seem like a good buy, they really are tiny though.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
Guys. I'm loving the 598's so far but there's something weird about them...
The bass seems a touch over-emphasized and slightly muddled compared to my ATH-M70x's and there's this really annoying drop off of the highs somewhere in the neighborhood of 10K. Like... every time I'm expecting some ear-piercing cymbal crash I get nothing.
Er... not nothing, I know that cymbal crash is there and I can hear it in the mids, but that fulfilling, crisp, high is completely absent. So on percussive crescendos and intense drum solos I'm left with blue balls.

They are AMAZING for gaming though.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

What is my best bet for bluetooth headphones for under $30? I mostly just need them for work and podcast listening and some music. I usually only have 1 ear in since I need to hear other people sometimes.

PretentiousFood
Mar 13, 2009

KillHour posted:

High impedance is just a matter of "Is it loud enough?"

On the other end, you want your source to be 1/8th (or less) the impedance of your headphones, or you start to get distortion. With particularly low impedance cans, that might require an amp.

I don't think the source impedance matters quite as much as it does with speakers. I've used some 300 ohm Sennheisers on an amp with an output impedance of ~80k ohms, and it sounded just fine. Senn's own amps have an output impedance of 47 ohms or so. One of the main limitations is that the amp needs to swing enough voltage into the headphones-- that's considerably more difficult with an onbard sound card running off a single 5V power supply unless the source impedance is low. You'll also run into trouble if your headphones were made to be driven from a low source impedance or have crossovers, like a lot of IEMs.

A better bet is to look at sensitivity. NwAvGuy has a good article on the topic, but the gist is that you should look at how much power your headphone needs, and if the amp can provide both sufficient current and voltage to meet that target. You'll meet the occasional oddball, like the Hifiman HE-6, that have a reasonable 50 ohm impedance but need silly amounts of power to reach the same volume as other cans of either higher or lower impedance.

Possibly of interest: here's another article about current source (or high impedance) amplifiers, and how it measurably impacts the sound of a few headphones.

Something's wrong if your amp is adding ground noise.

Teal
Feb 25, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo
Will I get stoned for making a "find some for me" post? The OP outright urges me to make a "find some for me" post! I am making a "find some for me" post.

Budget - ~$100. I guess I could go a bit over, I would be perfectly happy if there was some sweet offer below, tho, too. I am very much of a "bang for my buck" guy but I have no illusions about cheap poo poo being decent (and mainly, lasting).
Source - PC or Yamaha electronic learning drumkit, maybe some other instrument. I suppose I could deal with a preamp but I don't have any right now so that would have to kinda chip into the headphone budget itself.
Isolation Requirements - No preference. I guess I prefer open but it's really not a decisive factor.
Preferred Type of Headphone - Only real requirement is being comfortable for extended period of time, if possible with a large contact surface. Other than that, most importantly durable, not something that requires to only be suspended in antigravity field when not in use. Bulky over flimsy.
Preferred Tonal Balance - Anywhere from bassy to balanced.
Past Headphones - SENNHEISER HD555s. I had them for good 5 years and they served me great. They are simply becoming too worn out from daily use. Honestly? If you knew of a place where I could get a mint pair of these for an $100 (I got them on sale back then) I would be perfectly loving happy with just that!
Preferred Music - Anything/everything ranging from techno over swing, classical, to post rock. I guess not really all that terribly concerned about vocals if that's of any help.

GokieKS
Dec 15, 2012

Mostly Harmless.
Sounds like the HD 598 SE that Amazon had for $95 on Black Friday would've been perfect, but the HD 558 is $100 normally, and if you like your HD 555s then I see no reason why you wouldn't like the HD 558 as well. And by all indications the sound difference between the 558 and 598 is minor (I've heard the 555 and 595, which are definitely similar, and the 598 SE, but not the 558).

Git Mah Belt Son
Apr 26, 2003

Happy Happy Gators
The 558 can actually be easily modded to sound really similar to the 598s. There's a piece of foam inside the ear cup that a bunch of people have found that by removing increases the openness and response of the 558. Regardless of the mod or not, the 558s still sound really good.

GokieKS
Dec 15, 2012

Mostly Harmless.
Yeah, the HD 555 and 595 share the same drivers. AFAIK the HD 558 and 598 does as well, and apparently the 518 too (the 515 did not).

Teal
Feb 25, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo
Thanks for the prompt advice!

Further looking into these and some other, what are the differences between HD 280 Pro and HD 558 aside of 280s being closed? Can either be called objectively better or is it simply a preference thing?

I can get them for pretty much exact same price, even though when HD 558s launched they were apparently significantly more expensive and dropped over time.

HD 280s seem to also have higher impedance, but not by a huge lot; would I actually need an amp for these?

Git Mah Belt Son
Apr 26, 2003

Happy Happy Gators
The HD280 is more of a reference headphone. They are designed to give you a flat response. Some people want that, others think it's boring to listen to. I wouldn't say one is "better" than the other. The 558s will be more open, airy, and dynamic while the 280s will be more sterile and analytical.

Also something to consider, if you have a larger head the 280s are extremely uncomfortable. I bought a pair once and returned them the same day because they made me feel like I had my head in a vice.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
Hey just wanted to report back after buying the DT880 250 Ohm/Magni 2 combo recommended by the thread about a month ago.

These headphones are. So. loving. Good. It's actually ridiculous how good these are! Holy poo poo. The value for money at the price point you can find them at (got them for $160 off Amazon) is insane!!

My only "complaint" is that the DT 880s are not comfort listening headphones (in terms of the sound signature; in terms of physical comfort they are loving absurdly comfortable). They are a bit fatiguing, but it's mostly because they're in your face and non-apologetic about delivering sound to you in a way that is highly accurate and super engaging.

This is not really a complaint, and it makes the headphones a true "experience" to listen to in a way that I've never really heard before. But if you're looking for a set of cans to listen to all day at work or something, I would highly recommend something like the 598s for a more rolled-off, comfortable sound. They also push sound outward like CRAZY so your coworkers would hate you within a day of you bringing these into the office. These are best used in private.

The DT 880s are the cans that you bust out when you want to have like... the best half hour or hour of music listening you've ever had in your life. But not necessarily the cans you want around for 4 hours straight.

Oh and one more thing- these headphones expose bad recordings like no ones business. They demand extremely high quality source material. I have a playlist specifically for the DT 880s, and I put on something less critical when I stray away from that playlist. For me at least, they are NOT headphones where you just go and shuffle your whole library. They demand excellence, and output excellence if their requirements are met.

Taima fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Dec 5, 2015

Teal
Feb 25, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo

Git Mah Belt Son posted:

The HD280 is more of a reference headphone. They are designed to give you a flat response. Some people want that, others think it's boring to listen to. I wouldn't say one is "better" than the other. The 558s will be more open, airy, and dynamic while the 280s will be more sterile and analytical.

Also something to consider, if you have a larger head the 280s are extremely uncomfortable. I bought a pair once and returned them the same day because they made me feel like I had my head in a vice.

Ouch. I would appreciate neutral/flat monitor sound as I would actually like to dabble in some audio work, but yeah, no, my head would probably have issues with that. Thanks for warning, HD 558s seem like the most feasible option for now, then.

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

"The greatest honor history can bestow is the title of peacemaker."
I didn't see it brought up in the last two pages - I'm looking to move from my 280s to a good 5.1/7.1 headset for gaming. I'd like something that does surround sound and has a fairly crisp mic. I'll be using my desktop monitors for music and some movies but I'd like the headset to be able to handle gaming with positional audio as well as the occasional movie.

I have a decent audio card and I'd prefer to be able to use optical for the headset, but I can do the normal 3.5mm plugs if needed. I don't have an amp or external DAC. I would like to keep things under $150 or so. Sound quality / gaming audio are my top concern, followed by a comfortable circumaural cup, then a crisp mic.

Richard M Nixon fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Dec 5, 2015

Cubemario
Apr 3, 2009

Git Mah Belt Son posted:

As someone who used the 280s for 9 years or more, I can say that they're a comfortable wear for most ears and heads, they aren't THAT tight. But they lack durability in the headband. It was about a year of using them before I had a crack, and it just got worse from there. The cups lasted over 10 years, and didn't wear down for a very long time, which can't be said for the JVC-HARX900's I had, which completely fell apart in every way after having them for 4 years.

As for being reference headphones, that's true to an extent, but they are still biased toward having more bass than they should. They would suffice for the amateur however, they're amazing budget headphones.

I've been rocking focal spirit pro's for about 5 months now, and have still been extremely happy with them. But if you wanna talk about vice grip, those threaten to pop your eyeballs out of your sockets. It took a week for me to get used to it, or for them to loosen their grip on my head.

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

"The greatest honor history can bestow is the title of peacemaker."

Cubemario posted:

As someone who used the 280s for 9 years or more, I can say that they're a comfortable wear for most ears and heads, they aren't THAT tight. But they lack durability in the headband. It was about a year of using them before I had a crack, and it just got worse from there. The cups lasted over 10 years, and didn't wear down for a very long time, which can't be said for the JVC-HARX900's I had, which completely fell apart in every way after having them for 4 years.

As for being reference headphones, that's true to an extent, but they are still biased toward having more bass than they should. They would suffice for the amateur however, they're amazing budget headphones.

I've been rocking focal spirit pro's for about 5 months now, and have still been extremely happy with them. But if you wanna talk about vice grip, those threaten to pop your eyeballs out of your sockets. It took a week for me to get used to it, or for them to loosen their grip on my head.

I have a pretty fat head and the 280s fit me beautifully. It does get a bit sore at the tip of my ears if I'm gaming for 4-5 hours. The band has never cracked or damaged in any way. The cushion attaches via a ziploc-style connector and it has broken down a bit over the years, but it's still holding on okay. The ear cups leather did start to rip after about 5 years and I bought some replacements for $20 and they're just as soft as the originals.

Deutsch Nozzle
Mar 29, 2008

#1 Macklemore fan
Used the buying guide in the OP and eventually settled on these: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00PEUBIKM?redirect=true&ref_=cm_cr_ryp_prd_ttl_sol_0

Comfortable, stylish, and sound amazing. If you're considering these, they're fantastic. Props to the authors of the buying guide.

GokieKS
Dec 15, 2012

Mostly Harmless.
Amazon currently has the Sennheiser HD 558 for $80: http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B004FEEY9A

Teal
Feb 25, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo

GokieKS posted:

Amazon currently has the Sennheiser HD 558 for $80: http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B004FEEY9A

I would jump at that in an instant but sadly they don't seem to ship this to yuoorop for free and besides, the customs would slap a meaty toll plus our value added tax onto it anyway, so the price would more or less stack up to the about $140 I am probably going to pay for it here locally :sigh:

At least if I buy it locally I won't have to wait a lifetime.

Froshty
Dec 8, 2015
I was gifted a pair of Mr. Speakers Mad Dogs about a year ago. I plugged them in and I couldn't hear anything compared to my ATH-M50s. It's as if the volume was way too low. So I did some research and stumbled upon the Schiit combo and the O2+ODAC combo. I will probably pick it up this Christmas but I don't know which one would be the go to choice? I've read review that they both are close to each other but I would like to know if any of you have compared both of these amps.

Pursus
Nov 27, 2007

Hook on!

Froshty posted:

I was gifted a pair of Mr. Speakers Mad Dogs about a year ago. I plugged them in and I couldn't hear anything compared to my ATH-M50s. It's as if the volume was way too low. So I did some research and stumbled upon the Schiit combo and the O2+ODAC combo. I will probably pick it up this Christmas but I don't know which one would be the go to choice? I've read review that they both are close to each other but I would like to know if any of you have compared both of these amps.

I went with the o2+odac and in hindsight, I think I should have gotten the schiit. The o2+odac is a slick little device and it's a great all-in-one system as long as you don't end up needing/wanting more power for the Mad Dogs. I ended up with a set of planars that required me to pin the dial on the o2 (I think I have the 3.3x gain version, the 7x might have been ok) and then when I wanted to get a more powerful amp I felt like a jerk because I basically paid ~$250 for what I'm only using as a dac now, and of course I can't sell the o2 because it's all-in-one. Basically, the modularity of having a separate amp and dac is something that I wish I had. It's not a knock on the o2 or odac, but if you go that route you might want to buy them as two units, or do something like an odac and a Magni.

The Magni already has a bit more power than the o2, and if you're still not happy you can just sell the Magni and grab an Asgard or something. Just watch out when you're doing your price comparisons, the shipping on the Asgard was like $20 which I was not expecting.

You can also just skip the dac altogether and just amp the output from your PC (which should be fine unless you have weird noises coming out of it now). I'd seriously suggest trying this first, it'll probably be fine and save you $100 in the long run.

I only mention all of this stuff about power because the Mad Dogs are also planars, so I have no idea how much power they might need. If you were driving some easy-to-drive cans or IEMs I might suggest just getting the o2+odac because it's small and simple, but I don't know. FYI, the o2 drove everything else I threw at them (Senn HD580, Momentum, Audeze EL8 (also planar), Sony multi-driver IEM) just fine, I only had a problem with the HE560.

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS
In case anyone was interested, the Klipsch R6i's are the spiritual successor to the S4i II's. Same sound profile and everything.

GokieKS
Dec 15, 2012

Mostly Harmless.

Froshty posted:

I plugged them in and I couldn't hear anything compared to my ATH-M50s.

Depending on how literal you're being, this sounds like it could actually be due to some sort of defect. I've not heard the Mad Dogs, but I have heard the Fostex T50RP on which they're based, and they certainly are audible even with weaker sources.

Froshty
Dec 8, 2015

Pursus posted:

I went with the o2+odac and in hindsight, I think I should have gotten the schiit. The o2+odac is a slick little device and it's a great all-in-one system as long as you don't end up needing/wanting more power for the Mad Dogs. I ended up with a set of planars that required me to pin the dial on the o2 (I think I have the 3.3x gain version, the 7x might have been ok) and then when I wanted to get a more powerful amp I felt like a jerk because I basically paid ~$250 for what I'm only using as a dac now, and of course I can't sell the o2 because it's all-in-one. Basically, the modularity of having a separate amp and dac is something that I wish I had. It's not a knock on the o2 or odac, but if you go that route you might want to buy them as two units, or do something like an odac and a Magni.

The Magni already has a bit more power than the o2, and if you're still not happy you can just sell the Magni and grab an Asgard or something. Just watch out when you're doing your price comparisons, the shipping on the Asgard was like $20 which I was not expecting.

You can also just skip the dac altogether and just amp the output from your PC (which should be fine unless you have weird noises coming out of it now). I'd seriously suggest trying this first, it'll probably be fine and save you $100 in the long run.

I only mention all of this stuff about power because the Mad Dogs are also planars, so I have no idea how much power they might need. If you were driving some easy-to-drive cans or IEMs I might suggest just getting the o2+odac because it's small and simple, but I don't know. FYI, the o2 drove everything else I threw at them (Senn HD580, Momentum, Audeze EL8 (also planar), Sony multi-driver IEM) just fine, I only had a problem with the HE560.

Thanks for the reply.
Yeah the ability to switch out the DAC or Amp in the future for upgrades is what really has me looking at the Schiit combo. Plus now that I know it has a bit more power, I am leaning towards the Schiit since it seems the universal combo. What I do like about the o2+odac is how it wont take up much room on my already small desk and I tend to favor its design a bit more. I'll probably go with your suggestion and get the amp first.

GokieKS posted:

Depending on how literal you're being, this sounds like it could actually be due to some sort of defect. I've not heard the Mad Dogs, but I have heard the Fostex T50RP on which they're based, and they certainly are audible even with weaker sources.

I wasn't being very literal, I over reacted on it. It was just very low sounding compared to my ATH-M50s. I had to lower the volume of my music on the ATH-M50s while I had to almost max it to hear the music on my Mad Dogs. I recently switched out my motherboard, so the sound was the same on both motherboards.

uptown
May 16, 2009
Hi guys, I'm sure this question has been asked 900 times in this thread already and answered the same amount, but let's go for 901 times...

I'm in need of a decent pair of wireless earbuds. I looked a bit on Amazon and the ones there have a suspiciously low price point compared to Beats (which I know are overpriced and you pay for the brand name) so I'm looking for a good quality middle ground. I have a decent enough pair of wired earbuds, but I find with winter and taking my hands in and out of my pockets with gloves or mittens on, I keep ripping them out of my ears. I am willing to pay for quality, but not for a brand name. Please help.

Tactical Lesbian
Mar 31, 2012

uptown posted:

Hi guys, I'm sure this question has been asked 900 times in this thread already and answered the same amount, but let's go for 901 times...

I'm in need of a decent pair of wireless earbuds. I looked a bit on Amazon and the ones there have a suspiciously low price point compared to Beats (which I know are overpriced and you pay for the brand name) so I'm looking for a good quality middle ground. I have a decent enough pair of wired earbuds, but I find with winter and taking my hands in and out of my pockets with gloves or mittens on, I keep ripping them out of my ears. I am willing to pay for quality, but not for a brand name. Please help.

Jaybird Bluebuds?

PopetasticPerson
Jun 18, 2006
i'm looking to get my brother some headphones for Christmas and I may as well get a pair as well, so I'm looking for a recommendation for something for each of us since we have different needs. I'm willing to spend up to $150 total. I attempted to look through some of the guides in the OP but I really just don't know poo poo about headphones and I feel way more conflicted now than before I started. Thing is, neither of us would know whether our headphones were any good or not even if we were wearing them at the time...much less reading reviews on the internet. I don't know whether to go IEM, open, closed, etc so I'm basically just looking for someone to nominate something decent for a beginner that probably wouldn't be able to properly appreciate the fancier models.

My brother plays games in his thinly-walled efficiency apartment which also contains his girlfriend a kid. Something with a microphone built in that is reasonable for cutting out the omnipresent background neighbor noise and also not disturbing his 1 year old when he's asleep. Comfort would also be important, of course, with reasonable sound quality.

I would use them mostly at work to drown out distractions in the office when I'm trying to get poo poo done, without all of my coworkers listening in to everything. Sound quality is reasonably important but the main thing for me would be comfort, I don't think I've ever worn a pair that didn't get uncomfortable after 30 minutes to an hour. I imagine I would like the ones that totally enclose your ear but, as mentioned above, I really don't know what the gently caress I'm even talking about. I play games too but I don't really play anything that would require a mic, but I figure it'd be nice to have if it doesn't interfere with anything else.

So to sum it up, my brother needs something with a mic that is reasonably comfortable and will keep outside noise out and inside in as much as a ~75$ pair of headphones can. Something decent that he would be able to appreciate once he's gotten used to them. I need something that has reasonable noise cancelling that is comfortable enough to wear for 3-4 hours at a time for also ~75$. A mic would be nice to have I suppose but I probably won't ever actually use it. No type preference on either, just whatever you think would fit the bill. Bonus points if I can get both pairs in the same order.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

PopetasticPerson posted:

My brother plays games in his thinly-walled efficiency apartment which also contains his girlfriend, a kid.

:pedo:

Tactical Lesbian
Mar 31, 2012

PopetasticPerson posted:

i'm looking to get my brother some headphones for Christmas and I may as well get a pair as well, so I'm looking for a recommendation for something for each of us since we have different needs. I'm willing to spend up to $150 total. I attempted to look through some of the guides in the OP but I really just don't know poo poo about headphones and I feel way more conflicted now than before I started. Thing is, neither of us would know whether our headphones were any good or not even if we were wearing them at the time...much less reading reviews on the internet. I don't know whether to go IEM, open, closed, etc so I'm basically just looking for someone to nominate something decent for a beginner that probably wouldn't be able to properly appreciate the fancier models.

My brother plays games in his thinly-walled efficiency apartment which also contains his girlfriend a kid. Something with a microphone built in that is reasonable for cutting out the omnipresent background neighbor noise and also not disturbing his 1 year old when he's asleep. Comfort would also be important, of course, with reasonable sound quality.

I would use them mostly at work to drown out distractions in the office when I'm trying to get poo poo done, without all of my coworkers listening in to everything. Sound quality is reasonably important but the main thing for me would be comfort, I don't think I've ever worn a pair that didn't get uncomfortable after 30 minutes to an hour. I imagine I would like the ones that totally enclose your ear but, as mentioned above, I really don't know what the gently caress I'm even talking about. I play games too but I don't really play anything that would require a mic, but I figure it'd be nice to have if it doesn't interfere with anything else.

So to sum it up, my brother needs something with a mic that is reasonably comfortable and will keep outside noise out and inside in as much as a ~75$ pair of headphones can. Something decent that he would be able to appreciate once he's gotten used to them. I need something that has reasonable noise cancelling that is comfortable enough to wear for 3-4 hours at a time for also ~75$. A mic would be nice to have I suppose but I probably won't ever actually use it. No type preference on either, just whatever you think would fit the bill. Bonus points if I can get both pairs in the same order.

You'll probably want IEMs. Maybe the Logitech UE600 series, some or all of those have inline microphones and they can be had for sub-100usd prices. If you wanted to stretch budget, Etymotic IEMs are well-regarded here; HF3/HF2 models have inline mics and have great isolation and comfort.

edit: for YOU, who doesn't really need a microphone, Adorama has this deal on Shure SE215s right now! These IEMs alone are rarely under 100bux
http://www.adorama.com/SHSE215KD.html?emailprice=t&hotlink=t&svfor=5m&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_source=rflaid62905&cvosrc=affiliate.62905

Tactical Lesbian fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Dec 12, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PopetasticPerson
Jun 18, 2006
Thank you, that's basically exactly what I'm looking for. I intended to follow your advice exactly, but I noticed these in one of the related products sections:

http://www.amazon.com/MEE-audio-Universal-Fit-Noise-Isolating-Detachable/dp/B015S2I6A0/ref=cm_rdp_product

They're MEE audio M6 PRO Universal-Fit Noise-Isolating Musician's In-Ear Monitors with Detachable Cables for $50, and the reviews make them seem perfect. The quibbling negative reviews almost certainly refer to sound difference -issues I'd never notice, which is giving me a bit of a too-good-to-be-true vibe. If they're so great, why are they half the price of the other headphones I'm looking at? I notice that they're geared for musicians but from what I can tell they should do just fine for normal listening...is there an obvious downside to these that I'm not seeing?