Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe

I, Butthole posted:

I've never heard that in any EDF game at all, and haven't yet with the few hours I've put in.

Is there a way to change the audio commands on the touchpad quick select? I just want the entire song and "EDF!" chants.

I also love how this is a 1080p/60FPS remaster but they basically used the extra power to say "yeah let's chuck more bugs in" and frame-rate tanking is still as much a part of the experience as ever :allears:

It was part of a longer dialogue. It's entirely possible I misheard them, but I don't know what the heck else they could be saying.

Also, I'm disappointed that my teammates never join me in a WAAAGH!, but pleased that at least the NPC soldiers will.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

when i play a song as wing diver i don't hear anything. did they not record her singing? big hit to the class imo if that's the case

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Did they fix the big spider's webbing you through a building for a guaranteed slow death in many cases? That was my no.1 problem with 2025.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Flannelette posted:

Did they fix the big spider's webbing you through a building for a guaranteed slow death in many cases? That was my no.1 problem with 2025.

I haven't seen this happen with my couch co-op buddies Wing Diver yet and we've already sunk an unhealthy amount of time into the game. I haven't had it happen either but as an Air Raider my time outside of a vehicle can be measured in how long it takes me to place an beacon/lock a satellite beam onto a Hector brigade so that's not the best thing to go off of. :v:

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

i found some lag in the framerate. its when a howitzer strike lands on top of you

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

Master of karate and friendship...
for everyone!

Real hurthling! posted:

i found some lag in the framerate. its when a howitzer strike lands on top of you

Yeah, that seems to do it pretty reliably

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

Flannelette posted:

I've seen them try but it just hits the building and stops now.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

Obsurveyor posted:

I've seen them try but it just hits the building and stops now.

They definitely can shoot through the rocks in the first underground mission.

Not that it's a worry because if you're not blanketing the area in explosives that throw them outside of range you're doing it wrong

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

I, Butthole posted:

They definitely can shoot through the rocks in the first underground mission.

We're talking specifically about the Retarius or however you spell it, the larger banana spiders that sit on webs. In the old version, they used to fling their webs through as many buildings as they wanted. all the way across the map and would end up just dragging you into a wall until you died. It sucked.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

Obsurveyor posted:

We're talking specifically about the Retarius or however you spell it, the larger banana spiders that sit on webs. In the old version, they used to fling their webs through as many buildings as they wanted. all the way across the map and would end up just dragging you into a wall until you died. It sucked.

Ah, I never had that happen in 2025. I tend to level the stage as much as possible as early as possible.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Obsurveyor posted:

You could often move a little bit and sidle around a corner to keep getting closer.

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

fritz posted:

You could often move a little bit and sidle around a corner to keep getting closer.

I would inevitably get caught in a doorway which wasn't possible to get out of. :(

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

Obsurveyor posted:

I would inevitably get caught in a doorway which wasn't possible to get out of. :(

The EDF-approved approach is level everything you can (minus the invariably indestructible ones in retarius levels) before you even start.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish

Retro42 posted:

The EDF-approved approach is level everything you can (minus the invariably indestructible ones in retarius levels) before you even start.
You can level buildings that don't have a net on them. Those are load-bearing!

If you destroy it, you can resume urban renewal and job creation at an EDF-approved pace.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
How do I play air raider? I can wing dive and fence no problem. And soldier mans is easy. But gently caress me, air raider is a slog

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

CaptainScraps posted:

How do I play air raider? I can wing dive and fence no problem. And soldier mans is easy. But gently caress me, air raider is a slog

call in the tank.

Needs More Jazz
Nov 4, 2009

CaptainScraps posted:

Use vehicles. Don't aim the limpet gun too much - it's five tiny explosions. If one lands on a bug, cool. If not, blowing up the ground beneath it is just as good. You can shove healing/energy/defense tanks on your depth crawler/tank/etc. to carry its effect with you. Use vehicles.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Needs More Jazz posted:

Use vehicles. Don't aim the limpet gun too much - it's five tiny explosions. If one lands on a bug, cool. If not, blowing up the ground beneath it is just as good. You can shove healing/energy/defense tanks on your depth crawler/tank/etc. to carry its effect with you. Use vehicles.

Limpets are pretty anemic, but I like Limpet Splendor a lot more-- if only because it's a pretty fireworks show in addition to covering a fairly large area.

Use vehicles. The Gigantes you start with is pretty bad but they ramp up quickly from there, and the Vegaltas are amazingly good workhorses for clearing maps-- once you empty the ammo of one, you'll definitely have enough credits to call in another. I prefer an air strike or beacon-targeted missile barrage/satellite laser in my second slot instead of a utility gun or tank of gatorade, but the latter have their uses too. A laser beam from space or an artillery strike is great for taking out nests or transport ships, though. If you want to put the extra finesse into steering your laser-guided strikes, they can actually take out pretty huge swaths of stuff as well. The only caveat is that a good chunk of the airtrikes won't work in later missions when the Earth Eaters start spawning until a few get blown out of the sky-- I believe Bomber Charon will fly under them, though? I could be wrong. Charon's various bombing/strafing plans are my personal favorite airstrikes anyway until you get the satellite lasers and Rule of God. Whale's cannons have a pretty tiny radius but are good for plopping down on nests, and have the bonus of being fired from a beacon gun instead of thrown so you have better control of where they land, plus they recharge insanely fast. Charon has a much larger radius, but each pattern moves differently so you need to learn how they're going to function when you throw the beacon out to avoid blowing up yourself or your team mates.

Or just throw them and laugh because that's half the fun of being an air raider. :getin:

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

hahahahahahah I had forgotten how fun it is to blow up the centipedes. Bug bits flying everywhere. A centipede rear end bouncing off the skybox!

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Dec 11, 2015

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Obsurveyor posted:

They still do that in 4.1, at least in the Japanese version. It's not as common as in 2025, but it happens. I tested it myself!

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
How to play Air Raider: summon missiles and orbital lasers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5A3Fi6SmSaw

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Found my GDF lag. Mission 60 is basically unplayable for a while once the huge bombers activate.

Miguel Prado
Nov 5, 2008

Don't worry, like they say " It's all good! "

So 4.1 does not come out until February in Europe. But the PS4 is region free right? So I should be able to play it if I order a copy from Amazon US?

LeFishy
Jul 21, 2010

Miguel Prado posted:

So 4.1 does not come out until February in Europe. But the PS4 is region free right? So I should be able to play it if I order a copy from Amazon US?

Yup. I'm just going to grab some PSN$ off somewhere and get it digitally though.

Miguel Prado
Nov 5, 2008

Don't worry, like they say " It's all good! "

LeFishy posted:

Yup. I'm just going to grab some PSN$ off somewhere and get it digitally though.

Right, I remember reading about this when it was available on the Japanese PSN. Do you have a link with an explanation on how to do it?

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

Doc Morbid posted:

They still do that in 4.1, at least in the Japanese version. It's not as common as in 2025, but it happens. I tested it myself!

Have you seen it go directly through? The web strands will still go through buildings, like if it fires at you in the air the end of the web(projectile) will drop behind them and still attempt to pull you through if you touch it. I don't really consider that the same thing though.

Every time I've seen them try to fire directly through a building at someone it's targeted, that has failed: the end of the webbing hits the building and stops it.

LeFishy
Jul 21, 2010

Miguel Prado posted:

Right, I remember reading about this when it was available on the Japanese PSN. Do you have a link with an explanation on how to do it?

This seems to cover it http://trendblog.net/how-to-buy-ps4-games-in-the-us-psn-store-from-abroad/. It's super simple and totally a great idea to do if you're in the UK/EU because US psn prices tend to be way lower. The only thing I'll mention is that I don't seem to be able to find PSN credit on amazon.com. You'll have to google around for that I don't remember which site I used last time I did this.

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe
Holy poo poo Mission 71 :stare:

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

girth brooks part 2 posted:

Holy poo poo Mission 71 :stare:

holy poo poo there are 71 missions?

also i got something for my air raider called 'walking fortress balam' and i haven't been able to get the bar up enough to call it in.

it says it's over 50m high. i have to see it.

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

Deviant posted:

There are 98 missions. :D

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

Deviant posted:

also i got something for my air raider called 'walking fortress balam' and i haven't been able to get the bar up enough to call it in.

It's great. Basically Pacific Rim in EDF.

I just got a chance to play around with the guide kit Fencer missiles last night. Sooooo much fun. And a great way to deal with Retarius!

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
I've seen rumblings about the Fencer getting a new evade in 4.1...can someone tell me exactly what that is? I'm a dumbo who can't figure it out.

fit em all up in there
Oct 10, 2006

Violencia

Would this be an ok game to start with for someone who has never played an EDF before ?

ambient oatmeal
Jun 23, 2012

Dirt Taco Scuba posted:

Would this be an ok game to start with for someone who has never played an EDF before ?

Yes.

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

for everyone!

Deviant posted:

It's pretty epic, you can just walk through buildings and it has a huge armor value. It doesn't seem to have any attack options, though, sadly. You can punch, but it punches straight ahead, like 40 meters in the air. I believe it crushes ants and spiders if you step on them, but it's so slow that it's difficult to do. Does anyone know if it gets more useful later in the game?

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

Day Man posted:

It's pretty epic, you can just walk through buildings and it has a huge armor value. It doesn't seem to have any attack options, though, sadly. You can punch, but it punches straight ahead, like 40 meters in the air. I believe it crushes ants and spiders if you step on them, but it's so slow that it's difficult to do. Does anyone know if it gets more useful later in the game?

It's meant for fighting the godzillas.

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

for everyone!

Internet Friend posted:

It's meant for fighting the godzillas.

Sweet, I'm still at the initial levels where there are only ants and spiders. My wife and I are playing on hard now that we see how much better the item drops are, but we are having difficulty somewhere around the 7th mission. (The first underground one, whichever that is.)

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Obsurveyor posted:

Have you seen it go directly through? The web strands will still go through buildings, like if it fires at you in the air the end of the web(projectile) will drop behind them and still attempt to pull you through if you touch it. I don't really consider that the same thing though.

Every time I've seen them try to fire directly through a building at someone it's targeted, that has failed: the end of the webbing hits the building and stops it.
I literally stood behind a building and waited for him to shoot his web. Web went right through and hit me. They may have fixed it for the US release, though..

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

I've seen rumblings about the Fencer getting a new evade in 4.1...can someone tell me exactly what that is? I'm a dumbo who can't figure it out.

When you get launched you can dash to recover quickly instead of having to wait for yourself to stop ragdolling. Wing Diver can do the same

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Dirt Taco Scuba posted:

gently caress yes. It's probably the best starting point too. More classes, the ability to do jumping jacks and sing on command.

Ranger and Wing Diver are the easiest to get into solo. I feel that Fencer and Air Raider are exponentially more enjoyable in multiplayer, even if they are still cool solo when you get the hang of them and start filling out your equipment spread.

You have much more leeway to just go hog wild smashing every ant with hammers, or sticking turrets on top of your tank, when your friend brought an anti air missile launcher and sniper rifles for the flying stuff and UFOs.

EDIT: Really, so long as you bring a means to handle UFOs or other high altitude high health targets, your friend should be fine bringing anything they want. So long as they don't bring a fencer with nothing but melee weapons in missions with nothing but flying drones or something.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Dec 11, 2015