Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SirDrone
Jul 23, 2013

I am so sick of these star wars

RBA Starblade posted:

Some of the animations are pretty rad too. The other day I jammed a lead pipe into someone like I was shanking them in a prison. They reused some Skyrim animations too; I plunged the chinese officer's sword straight down through a dude's throat.

Please tell me there is a ridiculous dragon style deathclaw killing animation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iceshade
Sep 15, 2007
Tactical Ignorance

Friar Zucchini posted:

My issue with my .50 sniper is that its DPS is so low that I can't use it on any enemy that's worth a drat. I tried to keep it around to one-shot weak poo poo but frankly it shoots too slow even for that. Other weapons I've got do a ton more damage per shot so it's really not even that great as a sniper. There was one huge weapon mod in New Vegas that I liked a lot, hopefully there's gonna be a similar one for 4 that can address my huge pile of useless .50 ammo.

I was kinda hoping the triple barrel minigun mod would have turned it into a .50, like a GAU-19 and perhaps even make it power armour only, because the minigun is absolutely garbage and the .50 hunting rifle is outdone by even a combat rifle in .308.

I've installed the weapon balance mod that significantly increases the .50 hunting rifle damage, making it actually not poo poo anymore.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

SirDrone posted:

Please tell me there is a ridiculous dragon style deathclaw killing animation.

I haven't seen it but if there isn't then Bethesda has failed as a developer.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

nosl posted:

Literally. I do the same thing around those levels on Oblivion and Skyrim, too. Even Fallout 3, really, but to a lesser extent. There's just no more content, just blatant scaling.

....Why would you keep buying these games you don't like?

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

Zodium posted:

it's because of the idiotic default minimum levels on encounter zones, start a new game with Adjusted Encounter Zones and prepare to :black101:

with that and 5x NPC damage, i'm level 34 on my silent assassin and if I go to [DANGER] it usually means I'm dead, while on my level ninety something melee I can take maybe five to ten late game dudes before my health starts dropping hard. pretty edge of the seat type experience more or less all the time.

Do the encounter zone levels never reset after a while? So if I stay away from sanctuary after the beginning and come back as god the enemies dont adjust?

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

....Why would you keep buying these games you don't like?

A question that will be forever asked about Bethesda games.

I'm on my fourth playthrough, but this game SUCKS. :mad:

HJE-Cobra
Jul 15, 2007

Bear Witness

Hell Gem
Really I think that playing ANY videogame for 200 hours, you start to see the seams in the game. After beating the game and continuing play, it feels quite different from the first time I ventured out of Concord towards parts unknown, picking up an interesting radio signal and following it, or whatever...

Once you become familiar with all the systems operating in the game, it's easy to think how this or that might be done better.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Sylink posted:

Do the encounter zone levels never reset after a while? So if I stay away from sanctuary after the beginning and come back as god the enemies dont adjust?

correct, zones have a set min and max level, and once you get within one non-diagonal cell of it, it is set to a value in that range for the game. even late game cells far away from sanctuary can have minimum levels as low as 6, so welp

also if you just follow the main quest as you naturally encounter it without doing things inbetween, you'll set every cell's level before you are high enough level to trigger end game NPCs like annihilator sentry bots

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

HJE-Cobra posted:

Really I think that playing ANY videogame for 200 hours, you start to see the seams in the game. After beating the game and continuing play, it feels quite different from the first time I ventured out of Concord towards parts unknown, picking up an interesting radio signal and following it, or whatever...

Once you become familiar with all the systems operating in the game, it's easy to think how this or that might be done better.

Sure, but there's a bunch of people who complain about the game endlessly, buy it, complain about it again, then play it to death and it's like :psyduck:

HJE-Cobra
Jul 15, 2007

Bear Witness

Hell Gem

poptart_fairy posted:

Sure, but there's a bunch of people who complain about the game endlessly, buy it, complain about it again, then play it to death and it's like :psyduck:

People are weird

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
"This video game looks like poo poo. I shan't be buying it" - the game r thought process

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

2house2fly posted:

"This video game looks like poo poo. I shan't be buying it" - the game r thought process

You complained in multiple threads about the game, even before its release, but bought the drat thing and continued to complain as if its problems were completely unforeseen dude.

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Friar Zucchini posted:

Yeah, that's why I wanted to sterilize the place. But the game's going to force me to do quests to do it The Correct Way :argh:

I mean, if you want the Minutemen Ending just go smoke Father. Once I found one of the terminals talking about kidnapping and torturing folks to replace with Synths, I just marched into the conference room and shot him straight in the face and then cleared the place out with an explosive minigun. It was... messy.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

poptart_fairy posted:

You complained in multiple threads about the game, even before its release, but bought the drat thing and continued to complain as if its problems were completely unforeseen dude.

I did not like how the game looked and therefore did not buy it.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

2house2fly posted:

I did not like how the game looked and therefore did not buy it.

This thread has ten pages of just posts by you: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3723844&userid=193299

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Cojawfee posted:

There is *no* indication as to what you did before being a soldier/lawyer. You could have been a scavenger, prospector, sociopath, a regular jack off, etc.

lol

I mean yeah, I guess you could.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Including this one:

2house2fly posted:

I will buy the Ultimate Edition in a year and a half, by which time there will probably be a bunch of good mods.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

2house2fly posted:

Including this one:

Why would you buy a game you spent ten pages saying you hate? Why not just NOT buy the game? At all? No one is making you play it.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

i made a video illustrating how to play a stealth build correctly

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Why would you buy a game you spent ten pages saying you hate? Why not just NOT buy the game? At all? No one is making you play it.

I think he's one of the bitter types that's still mad Bethesda has the IP

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

I'm expecting that patches and DLC will polish up the mechanics and add more content, while mods will take care of other issues. You're right though, I suppose my weird desire to eventually get around to it is fuelled by the innate appeal of something popular and my irrational attachment to the setting based on previous games.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

2house2fly posted:

I'm expecting that patches and DLC will polish up the mechanics and add more content, while mods will take care of other issues. You're right though, I suppose my weird desire to eventually get around to it is fuelled by the innate appeal of something popular and my irrational attachment to the setting based on previous games.

Like if you already know you hate the game and don't want to play it waiting till the game is like 45 hours longer isn't really a great plan.

HJE-Cobra
Jul 15, 2007

Bear Witness

Hell Gem
Yeah I feel like it's a lot of content as-is. I've played over a hundred hours and still want to explore more.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
It's pretty funny Bethesda have been screwing around with level scaling variants since Oblivion and even though Fallout 4 probably has the most refined system it's still kinda 'meh'. Was it such a widespread complaint about Morrowind in the first place? I remember that getting owned by pissant ambient animals like the cliff riders was indeed annoying but you'd think you could just tune the ambient life to be less aggressive or something, or just make it low level and have it ignore high level players or something? I thought it was actually pretty fun to run into a zone that was way out of your league, kinda miss that.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Unctuous Cretin posted:

"unnng-Ashes, go Hooome! Erin misses you!"

You can really feel the emotion in that delivery.

He just knows that that cat would just sit there and stare at you if given that order. Maybe the feline equivalent of a middle finger.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

emanresu tnuocca posted:

It's pretty funny Bethesda have been screwing around with level scaling variants since Oblivion and even though Fallout 4 probably has the most refined system it's still kinda 'meh'. Was it such a widespread complaint about Morrowind in the first place? I remember that getting owned by pissant ambient animals like the cliff riders was indeed annoying but you'd think you could just tune the ambient life to be less aggressive or something, or just make it low level and have it ignore high level players or something? I thought it was actually pretty fun to run into a zone that was way out of your league, kinda miss that.

As they made the games more open world they have to account for people getting to areas in different orders. They don't want to make a linear game where the battles are all fine tuned to a specific level. So they kinda fuzz it out into regions. North is still easier than south but they don't demand you do quest X before quest Y in an area.

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

This "Inside Job" quest was hilarious. I kinda forgot about it when the Institute kicked me out, so then I happen to walk by that Brotherhood girl that wears a bare power armor frame and my dude automatically gets triggered to just ask for the drat thing. Like I'm all thinking how many speech checks am I gonna need... none. I just said the Minutemen needed it and that was it. Stupidly easy for 300+ XP.

Also Liberty Prime's voice sounds hilarious. :911:

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

I know they want you to just chill and explore on foot but a faster way of land travel might be interesting. I don't necessarily want another Highwayman, though. I'd like either a horse or a motorcycle! Y'know. And later on in the game you encounter a 50's style Greaser biker gang.

Hell, give me a rideable robot motorcycle like MGSV did!

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?

nosl posted:

This game seriously gets boring after around level 25. I'm around 36 and I can't find any fun in it anymore.
I purposefully gimped myself by not taking any perks that add to my DR like Toughness, and not picking scrounger.

Playing on survival with iron roses weapons rebalance has been alot of fun!

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Friar Zucchini posted:

This "Inside Job" quest was hilarious. I kinda forgot about it when the Institute kicked me out, so then I happen to walk by that Brotherhood girl that wears a bare power armor frame and my dude automatically gets triggered to just ask for the drat thing. Like I'm all thinking how many speech checks am I gonna need... none. I just said the Minutemen needed it and that was it. Stupidly easy for 300+ XP.

Also Liberty Prime's voice sounds hilarious. :911:

Oh, I just realized that the reason that weird quest exists but seems weird and useless is so 4 games from now when they have synths again and everyone says how lore breaking that is that they can point to the fact you copied the data then gave it to someone and then it disappeared from the story entirely from that point on.

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Oh, I just realized that the reason that weird quest exists but seems weird and useless is so 4 games from now when they have synths again and everyone says how lore breaking that is that they can point to the fact you copied the data then gave it to someone and then it disappeared from the story entirely from that point on.
Maybe they'd wanted the Minutemen to be more of a viable option and they had to clean up at the last minute so that was just a loose end from a rushed development?

Also, why does the strongest power armor have to be ugly as gently caress? And I don't want my top-level combat armor to be loving white of all things, either, like at least have it be a more subtle color, drat. Or better, let me pick the color.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Friar Zucchini posted:

Maybe they'd wanted the Minutemen to be more of a viable option and they had to clean up at the last minute so that was just a loose end from a rushed development?

Nah, every single faction has that "copy the database" quest and in every faction it's just a thing that happens and never is mentioned again. Also like you were saying it seems like a quest that goes out of it's way to make sure you complete it. It seemed weird but it totally does make sense now as a "they downloaded data's brain into b4" out incase they want to use stuff again.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
I like that the drug dealers trying to get caps out of the diner-vendor become permanent objects when killed that regenerate their equipment every couple of days just like buildings. Are there any other named npc's like that I can routinely loot high level stuff from or did I just get glitched bodies?

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

emanresu tnuocca posted:

There's level scaling in Morrowind too, there's just a lot less stuff to kill. Though a lot of the interior cells were completely static with fixed npcs, which also had a downside as after you cleared them there really wasn't ever a reason to go back. In Morrowind each "region" basically had a leveled list of enemies/random loot within a fixed range, so areas around Seyda Neen were fixed to levels 1-4 but by the time you were around say, the center of Vvardenfell it would be 15-20 for random spawns and loot. It's not too different from Fallout 4s system, though FO4 is a lot more robust and can "lock" leveled lists at different points depending when you discover them.

Edit: Correction, areas had leveled lists for random spawns but containers themselves had assigned randomized leveled loot.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Speedball posted:

I know they want you to just chill and explore on foot but a faster way of land travel might be interesting. I don't necessarily want another Highwayman, though. I'd like either a horse or a motorcycle! Y'know. And later on in the game you encounter a 50's style Greaser biker gang.

Hell, give me a rideable robot motorcycle like MGSV did!

Rank 4 Wasteland Whisperer: You can now ride your creatures

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

Friar Zucchini posted:

My issue with my .50 sniper is that its DPS is so low that I can't use it on any enemy that's worth a drat. I tried to keep it around to one-shot weak poo poo but frankly it shoots too slow even for that. Other weapons I've got do a ton more damage per shot so it's really not even that great as a sniper. There was one huge weapon mod in New Vegas that I liked a lot, hopefully there's gonna be a similar one for 4 that can address my huge pile of useless .50 ammo.

Any ranks in rifleman? My .50 does over 100 dmg without the stealth multiplier

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Like if you already know you hate the game and don't want to play it waiting till the game is like 45 hours longer isn't really a great plan.

Indeed. However, I'm expecting that patches and DLC will polish up the mechanics, while mods will take care of other issues.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

E-Tank posted:

Yeah and that's the issue. I don't love my gun. My gun isn't special. My gun is just like every other loving gun out there, and I can make every other gun just like it. Where are the unique weapons that can't be touched because they're flawed, but beautiful beyond/because of that?

Again, Survivalist's rifle. My favorite gun in the entire NV game. If you want to use iron sights you have to figure out how to aim it with a bent barrel sight. Something you realize that the guy who used it had to deal with too yet he was still a crack marksman. And when you do that it makes you feel like a loving badass. That gun oozed history and character and gently caress me if looking back at it doesn't make me feel a bit depressed about FO4's rather cut down approach.

And then the mods aren't really all that tactical. You go to the one that's the hardest to craft. That's the one that gives you the best numbers. Barring things like compensators where you might prefer the range over the recoil control, you always want to go for the bottom mod.
The scopes piss me off, even the night-vis ones have those terrible black crosshairs.

You're right about the guns feeling the same, my favorite weapon was the winchester-style repeater rifle from one of the DLCs, it used ammo I had too much of, and was different from the way other guns felt.

Internet Kraken posted:

You keep pointing to that gun like every unique in New Vegas was like it but I'm pretty sure most of them were just "does more damage", possibly with a fancier model. Same applies to Fallout 3.

EDIT: I'd say New Vegas had better guns not because of the handful of uniques that were actually interesting, but rather because the game just had a ton of guns.
I remember the uniques being.. Unique. They'd have a special skin, or be a weird-looking cleaver you couldn't find elsewhere, etc. Even the wild-looking weapons in FO4 are just standard ones with mods that change their skin, like the machete from Borers, which you can take the mod off and add to any actual legendary machete. It's not the only example either where a "unique" weapon simply has a one-off mod that you can just slap onto any old weapon of the same type.

It's pretty much the exact opposite of unique.

Sindai posted:

I just noticed that being naked makes it easier to sneak up on people than wearing only muffled light leather armor. That seems wrong.
After you get a stealth book or two and 3 or 4 points in stealth perk, you can be wearing power armor and pickpocket raiders and supermutants pretty drat easily.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Azhais posted:

Rank 4 Wasteland Whisperer: You can now ride your creatures

gently caress YEAH. Let me be a Deathclaw Rider! Or at least a Radstag Rider.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

2house2fly posted:

Indeed. However, I'm expecting that patches and DLC will polish up the mechanics, while mods will take care of other issues.
this isn't going to happen, if it follows the pattern of skyrim and fallout 3

you're going to have to wait for various half-baked script-extender overhauls that run the game into a memory singularity until the SPERG guy decides to do FPERG

• Locked thread