Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
Has anyone read Citizen Jack? The second issue just came out but I've only read the first - it's pretty crazy. A disgraced former mayor (who would fit in Southern Bastards easily) decides to run for President because a demon convinces him to. Definitely going on my pull list.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
Read the first issue of Citizen Jack and decided not to continue with it. The characters felt pretty one-dimensional and there was nothing terribly redeeming about the main dude. That may change in future issues, but it's hard to see it being anything more than, "watch this crazy dimwit get by with one deus ex machina after another."

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Invincible can get as stupid as it wants just as long as Ryan Ottley keeps delivering on the art carnage.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Invincible's been pretty bad for a while but I have to say I am enjoying the new arc; I love Edge of Tomorrow-type stories (even though this isn't really an endless loop like EoT).

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Monstress, Trees and We Stand on Guard today.

Monstress is more building up, also kitty! Trees continues with the NY plot (I'm still holding on to some deluded hope that some of the chinese protags survived. :( )

And We Stand On Guard concludes with a bang. I find it fascinating because while it's presented as a sci-fi story it's really about 'terrorism' and how a person gets radicalized.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
Now that We Stand On Guard has supposedly finished its run, I'm pretty underwhelmed with it as a whole. Skroce's art never did much for me as it never ever communicated movement very well and felt very static, and the lack of real world-building or fleshing-out of characters coupled with the constant in-your-face shock-value events just made the whole thing feel very shallow.

It all begged for a longer, greater build-up to its conclusion. As it is, we never get time to get attached to any of the characters, even the main one, nor do we get any time to sympathize with the Canadians or the Americans. Vaughn was asking us to believe in this world he created without giving us anything to really latch onto.

trashbuilder
Dec 26, 2013

Look at all the poor opinions I have
I agree with you on the art, but I think you read it expecting something very different. I looked at it kind of like a parable. It is the story of how you can not win a war with just tanks and explosions as a nation isn't just arbitrary boarders, it is people. You will radicalise those people to fight back. So yeah it is light on world building but it isn't about the world it is about every character has simple, logical motivation and all the motivation leads to is more death.

Overall I was kind of disappointed with it too, I got what it was going for but I don't think it succeeded on a strictly surface level. It needed to spend less time on the action and more time on characters motivation to really hit the point home.

I just realized we have been arguing the same thing with different solutions.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
Ha, you're absolutely right. :)

Part of what would have helped is if we got to see the rest of the people the Two-Four were supposedly fighting for for more than the one brief moment in the last issue ( the regular citizens, not the ones in the detention camp ). We certainly don't get to see their reaction, so we have no idea how the violence enacted by the Two-Four and the Americans against each other impacts either nation.

Certainly, the main character and the rest of the Two-Four become radicalized, but the fact that they're Canadian and French-Canadian being oppressed by the U.S. doesn't actually matter because we never really see how the rest of the people of either country feel about... anything. So it ends up being an isolated case of violence that serves no purpose and could be copy+pasted into just about any other setting and have the same impact, which just seems like bad writing.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

AV Club did it's best of the year list and they're mostly indies naturally. Are all these worth reading, I hadn't heard of a surprising number of them.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

zoux posted:

AV Club did it's best of the year list and they're mostly indies naturally. Are all these worth reading, I hadn't heard of a surprising number of them.

i can vouch for Autumnlands (don't know if it's #1 good, but it's very good), Southern Bastards, the Fade Out (probably my pick for #1), Island, Hellboy in Hell, and i only read the first issue of Bitch Planet but it was pretty good.

one i'd like to see get more love is We Can Never Go Home from Black Mask, really great mix of crime comic, superhero, and teen romance that just wrapped up its first mini. probably my #2 comic of the year.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

What's the hook for Fade Out beyond "Bru/Phillips noir"?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

What more hook do you need?

pugnax
Oct 10, 2012

Specialization is for insects.

zoux posted:

I mean, do you really need more?

Sorta like the first season of True Detective, but postwar Hollywood, and instead of detectives you have drunk screenwriters.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

zoux posted:

it's specifically Bru and Phillips giving their take on James Ellroy, plus the columns on old hollywood scandals in the backpages are awesome.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Endless Mike posted:

What more hook do you need?

You know, some Lovecraftian mythology or something.

I was just curious if it was something beyond the standard fantastic noir detective story the pair usually does.

pugnax
Oct 10, 2012

zoux posted:

You know, some Lovecraftian mythology or something.

I was just curious if it was something beyond the standard fantastic noir detective story the pair usually does.

No lovecrafty stuff yet, but kiddly-diddling cults look like a distinct possibility. IIRC Bru hinted that the story is something they've been wanting to do for a very long time and that it's big, so who knows where it's going to go. They've got that sweet contract gig over at Image, so it could run for 50 issues if they have that much story.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

pugnax posted:

No lovecrafty stuff yet, but kiddly-diddling cults look like a distinct possibility. IIRC Bru hinted that the story is something they've been wanting to do for a very long time and that it's big, so who knows where it's going to go. They've got that sweet contract gig over at Image, so it could run for 50 issues if they have that much story.

actually the next issue is gonna be the last one

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

pugnax posted:

So...they're not going to continue Criminal or Incognito is what you're saying.

Edit: Nevermind then!

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

GrandpaPants posted:

So...they're not going to continue Criminal or Incognito is what you're saying.

they did a Criminal one-shot earlier this year that was one of the best issues ever.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

The Brubaker/Phillips stuff I've read is just Sleeper and Fatale, but Fatale is one of the best things I've ever read, so their collabs are on my "must buy when on sale" list.

pugnax
Oct 10, 2012

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

actually the next issue is gonna be the last one

Well, gently caress.

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!
That list is invalid because there's no Valiant. Mostly everything that company has done this year has been gold. Come sing its praises with me in its dedicated thread.

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

If you liked LA Confidential or LA Noire, Fade Out is for you.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Rusty Kettle posted:

That list is invalid because there's no Valiant. Mostly everything that company has done this year has been gold. Come sing its praises with me in its dedicated thread.

I read Valiant books, Ivar and Imperium are standouts.

Is Valiant considered indie?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Not really, I mean it is technically, but most people use indie as a catchall for creator owned these days. Valiant is not creator owned.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

I just finished reading all of The Private Eye, and was disappointed not to see it on there. But it finished back in March so it's been a while.

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!

X-O posted:

Not really, I mean it is technically, but most people use indie as a catchall for creator owned these days. Valiant is not creator owned.

Yea. This thread most likely wasn't the best place to post my knee-jerk reaction to that list. Still, an end of the year best-of list without Imperium is a travesty.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Cyphoderus posted:

I had Invincible on my sights because I like the premise and apparently it starts out really strong (I've heard that's his deal – starting a comic out strong, then dragging it out for 100+ issues). Should I not even bother? How long does it stay good for?

Definitely, it's my favorite comic out of any mentioned in this thread. I'd say it gets better and better largely. And like anything I'd say draw your own conclusions, it's all personal taste.

You see people asking about comics in topics like this, and often being dismayed because four people don't like something. It's kind of a roll of the dice whether a particular thread on a particular corner of the internet is positive or negative on something.

While I'm in here, Savage Dragon is brilliant. 207 and 208 in particular just wrapped up one of the most compelling stories that was going on for a good fifteen years or something like that.

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon

Heavy Metal posted:

Definitely, it's my favorite comic out of any mentioned in this thread. I'd say it gets better and better largely. And like anything I'd say draw your own conclusions, it's all personal taste.

You see people asking about comics in topics like this, and often being dismayed because four people don't like something. It's kind of a roll of the dice whether a particular thread on a particular corner of the internet is positive or negative on something.

While I'm in here, Savage Dragon is brilliant. 207 and 208 in particular just wrapped up one of the most compelling stories that was going on for a good fifteen years or something like that.

That's some dedication. Is Savage Dragon worth reading all the way through?

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

lifg posted:

That's some dedication. Is Savage Dragon worth reading all the way through?

For sure, it's all written and drawn by one guy, and he's always exploring new ways to keep it fresh. The early stuff holds up really well too, I read it for the first time in the mid-2000s anyway. There might be a cameo here and there from a WildCAT etc, but the book never relies on crossovers or anything. Well there was one Spawn crossover, you can skip the Spawn issue though.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Dec 11, 2015

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010
I've never heard of Autumnlands but it's first on the AV list. Anyone reading can give impressions? So far from what I've googled it looks fairly interesting but not a whole lot reviews out there.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Autumnlands is what Hinterkind wishes it was. Animal races, magic gone wrong, a barbarian human unleashed... I like it all except the human, really. Excellent artwork. AV went a bit far to rank it #1, but it's a strong series.
Monstress #2 already cements Monstress as better, in my opinion.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

I have no idea where Monstress is going but gently caress it Sana Takeda is drawing bayonettas this is so great.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Red Mundus posted:

I've never heard of Autumnlands but it's first on the AV list. Anyone reading can give impressions? So far from what I've googled it looks fairly interesting but not a whole lot reviews out there.

I really enjoy it, it's totally loving awesome. I posted about it a while back:

Sigma-X posted:

Is nobody else reading Autumnlands?

I just got the first trade and it's loving gorgeous, and the story / setting is pretty neat too.

It's basically a world where people are all animals, and the high elite run on Magic and live in floating cities and dominate the tribes that live on the ground.

Like these Bison, lead by Seven Scars:

Except Magic is running out. One Wizard has a plan to bring back The Champion through time and space, because he will bring back the Magic. Not everyone agrees with this plan.

The spell, and perhaps the plan itself, go wrong, and their floating city crashes, and now a highly politicized and scheming society is simultaneously trying to survive when all they have known is decadence, and under threat not only from themselves, the environment, but also the tribes they have abused.

The whole thing is tied together nicely by this young (and newly orphaned) kid, who is old enough to be capable and aware but young enough to have not become one of the old politicians or scared people, and instead is excited by this adventure.

There's more to it but I think it's best to discover that on your own because it's way cooler without the briefing.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

yeah your post was actually what led me to check the book out.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
Autumnlands looks dope; I'll get the trade next time I'm at my LCS.

I just read the first volume of They're Not Like Us and it was okay. Felt like X-Men without the decades of backstory and like-able characters.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Yeah, definitely think I'll check out Autumnlands, too. It reminds me a bit of the concept of The Magic Goes Away by Larry Niven, which was always one of my favorite fantasy world settings.

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009
The thought of next issue being the last issue of Phonogram ever has hosed me up a whole lot.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

ElNarez posted:

The thought of next issue being the last issue of Phonogram ever has hosed me up a whole lot.

I'm also super sad about it but I feel like they're putting the series to bed at the perfect time. And W+D is still doing the Music is Magic stuff too (although it's not quite the same).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InnercityGriot
Dec 31, 2008
I just purchased the Space Riders trade from my comic shop on a lark and what the gently caress man, what a weird, cool comic.