Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

FordPRefectLL posted:

it shouldn't be an option to set a silent alarm

Why not? Maybe you just want a visual reminder for something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

FordPRefectLL posted:

it shouldn't be an option to set a silent alarm

Before getting a Moto 360/2 I used silent alarms all the time.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Tunga posted:

Is it an actual SMS message? Hangouts or similar doesn't count.

An actual SMS.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

AEMINAL posted:

Also: Does anyone know if quickcharging works via wireless power-mats?

Yes and No. Apparently only the latest Samsung phones support it and Samsung is the only one that sells a supported charger but there is quick wireless charging in the S6. But quick in comparison to regular wireless charging, it's slower than Quick Charge 2.0, apparently it charges about as fast as using a standard USB cable only wirelessly.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen
Probably just anecdotal or me imagining it, but I could swear my Note 5 charges much faster on my Tylt Vu than previous phones did. The wired charger is definitely fast as gently caress according to Ampere.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

give me thread posted:

Just popped in here to say I picked up the G4 last week and loving owns. Excellent camera, fantastic screen, great battery life.

LG have come out on top for the flagship phone race this year. I come from a history of using Nexus right as far as the Nexus One but this year Google dropped the ball with both the 5X and 6P both being overpriced. The G4 is a better piece of hardware for a lower price. Rooting can be a pain in the rear end though.

Being "overpriced" doesn't make a phone worse. You're paying more for better hardware on the 6p.

Although my 6p was $50 on contract.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
I'd gladly pay double to get away from LGs appalling software - how bad it is really cannot be overstated.

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich

dissss posted:

I'd gladly pay double to get away from LGs appalling software - how bad it is really cannot be overstated.

People keep saying this without ever saying why. "My settings menu is a different color :saddowns:" doesn't count

LG UX is bad in the same way Touchwiz is: it's not

edit: vv ANARCHY :argh:

Daily Forecast fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Dec 10, 2015

Jacobus Spades
Oct 29, 2004

Daily Forecast posted:

People keep saying this without ever saying why. "My settings menu is a different color :saddowns:" doesn't count

LG UX is bad in the same way Touchwiz is: it's not

You have to swipe twice from the top of the screen to get notifications instead of just once! :argh:

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Daily Forecast posted:

Biggest problem is the DPI is set at an absurdly large scale which completely negates the utility of such a large display.

The notification shade behaviour is stupid - even for the stock DPI the text is huge regardless of the font size you set in settings. This means you only get to see a couple of notifications and you can forget about expanding them. All the built in apps are garbage, and some (like the dialer/contacts which cannot show the Exchange GAL) are not easily replaced. The settings menu has got shuffled around a bit (which doesn't matter) and also search has inexplicably been removed (which definitely does). The lockscreen has a choice of incredibly janky animations but no way to switch them off entirely.

Honestly the only way my G3 is even usable is installing a completely different ROM - the only downside is camera performance takes a dive.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

So my Nexus 5 decided to stop charging when I put it on both of my tylt vus. Google won't replace it under warranty, I guess that's as good a reason as any to get a 6p.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Massage the back of the phone between the S in Nexus and the lower volume button.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

There's a bit that kind of clicks back into place

Slightly left of centre

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Didn't hear a click, but it is charging. We'll see how long that lasts.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

The Android Thread - after you're done beating your phone, give it a nice massage

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Athenry posted:

Didn't hear a click, but it is charging. We'll see how long that lasts.

It won't. I now have a Nexus 5x instead of a Nexus 5. I'm sure I could have cracked it open, fixed that issue, then replaced the battery... but hey, 2 years is new phone time anyways.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
My 6P is having an audio issue. Randomly when using headphones the audio will cut out completely. The phone still thinks it's playing, whichever app I'm using will happily keep ticking forward but no sound comes out. I need to pause and resume the app and then the audio will resume, sometimes for 10 seconds, usually for 10+ minutes, sometimes for over an hour but it always eventually cuts out again. This happens in play music, audible, beyondpod and it only happens with wired headphones, bluetooth headphones have no issue.

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

barf barf i am a dog, barf on your carpet, barf

uPen posted:

My 6P is having an audio issue. Randomly when using headphones the audio will cut out completely. The phone still thinks it's playing, whichever app I'm using will happily keep ticking forward but no sound comes out. I need to pause and resume the app and then the audio will resume, sometimes for 10 seconds, usually for 10+ minutes, sometimes for over an hour but it always eventually cuts out again. This happens in play music, audible, beyondpod and it only happens with wired headphones, bluetooth headphones have no issue.

Sounds like warranty checkage time there my friend.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

uPen posted:

Dirty headphone jack maybe?

Ray Finkle
Aug 28, 2008

uPen posted:

I had the exact same problem on mine, it's something screwy with the always listening feature messing up media audio. To fix it just go into your google app settings, then the voice submenu, turn always listening off then back on again and restart your phone. It's not a hardware problem.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.

Ray Finkle posted:

I had the exact same problem on mine, it's something screwy with the always listening feature messing up media audio. To fix it just go into your google app settings, then the voice submenu, turn always listening off then back on again and restart your phone. It's not a hardware problem.

Same thing when I was listening to the NPR app the other day. I hope that is a quick and easy fix. I thought about asking but didn't know how to really describe it.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Desk Lamp posted:

Dirty headphone jack maybe?

Yeah definitely could be pocket lint in the jack

Ray Finkle
Aug 28, 2008
It's definitely a weird bug and it had me worrying there was a problem with the headphone jack. I looked it up and it's a known problem with the 6p and 5x. The player says it's playing but the sound in the headphones stops, doesn't matter what software you're using. Luckily the fix I wrote above worked and I haven't had an issue since.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
Anyone know how to make Android 6.0.1 on a Nexus 5X to suggest emoji in the Google Keyboard? All the searches I see tell me to enable it as a dictionary, but I don't see that option anywhere. I'd like to be able to type taco or poop to get the emoji's suggested in the bar.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
Blu recently released a new phone (or is releasing, whatever). The Blu Life One X (2016)

Specs:
Mediatek MT6753 Octa-Core
2gb ram
16gb storage + microsd
2900mah battery
5.2" IPS display (1080p)
13mp + 5mp camera
Android 5.1 w/ Marshmallow announced for the end of Q1 2016

The kicker: it's $99 today. After today it'll go up to $150. Even still, at $150 this is some great specs for budget users and unless you need root or absolutely hate anything non-major OEM, you should get this.

cage-free egghead fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Dec 11, 2015

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
The few reviews I've seen seem pretty positive (which aren't though?). Especially for 100$

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Lblitzer posted:

Blu recently released a new phone (or is releasing, whatever). The Blu Life One X (2016)

Specs:
Mediatek MT6753 Octa-Core
2gb ram
16gb storage + microsd
2900mah battery
5.2" IPS display (1080p)
13mp + 5mp camera
Android 5.1 w/ Marshmallow announced for the end of Q1 2016

The kicker: it's $99 today. After today it'll go up to $150. Even still, at $150 this is some great specs for budget users and unless you need root or absolutely hate anything non-major OEM, you should get this.

You forgot the clarification that the camera isn't very good.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
I would argue that MOST camera phones aren't gonna be too good at 150$

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory

SIR FAT JONY IVES posted:

Anyone know how to make Android 6.0.1 on a Nexus 5X to suggest emoji in the Google Keyboard? All the searches I see tell me to enable it as a dictionary, but I don't see that option anywhere. I'd like to be able to type taco or poop to get the emoji's suggested in the bar.

Push and hold the enter (or return) key. That one took me a while to figure out coming from an iPhone.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Free Star Wars cardboard on the Google Store site:
https://store.google.com/product/61378afccd1eb7d5

Edit: Aaand currently out of stock, sorry.

Rastor fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Dec 11, 2015

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Rastor posted:

Instantly gone.

Edit: nevermind, managed to get one. They are going in and out of stock. Guess Google is testing it's order system to see what loads it can handle?

hotsauce fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Dec 11, 2015

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

hotsauce posted:

Instantly gone.

Edit: nevermind, managed to get one. They are going in and out of stock. Guess Google is testing it's order system to see what loads it can handle?

The different skins are in and out of stock as well; hope you didn't want R2D2!

EDIT: Either their stock goes in and out constantly, or their back end is screwed up. Can reload and get different combinations of color and size available for the 6p and 5x; and half of what they offer just isn't available.

Rap Game Goku fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Dec 11, 2015

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Captain Yossarian posted:

I would argue that MOST camera phones aren't gonna be too good at 150$

None of them are.

I'm not sure what you mean by "I would argue", though.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

Thermopyle posted:

None of them are.

I'm not sure what you mean by "I would argue", though.

Touché. I guess I meant that I don't know if the poor camera is worth singling out on that cheap of a phone :)

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Athenry posted:

The different skins are in and out of stock as well; hope you didn't want R2D2!

EDIT: Either their stock goes in and out constantly, or their back end is screwed up. Can reload and get different combinations of color and size available for the 6p and 5x; and half of what they offer just isn't available.

I got one, I also saw the Chromecast deal for $55, and got a coworker to snag one. They have a $20 Google Play credit with the CC coming up this weekend, too.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

TheWevel posted:

Push and hold the enter (or return) key. That one took me a while to figure out coming from an iPhone.

I see the emoji keyboard, but there's a feature where if you type "taco" it will suggest the taco emoji. That doesn't work.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Rastor posted:

Edit: Aaand currently out of stock, sorry.

Keep refreshing. Just picked up a Stormtrooper one for free 30 seconds ago.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen
Ugh I'm pretty sure it's not available in the Canadian store :(

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

dissss posted:

(like the dialer/contacts which cannot show the Exchange GAL)

I don't think this is true. The galaxy s5 that work gave me shows Exchange GAL just fine in contacts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Well the LG one doesn't.