Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Toasticle posted:

Forgetting for the moment the mental pretzel of logic that justifies even drawing on someone who wrecked his car after running a red light because "he might flee" how in the gently caress is hoping nobody will notice he shot him in the neck not? Telling the EMTs and the hospital "Oh yeah btw he also has a bullet in his neck" is the kind of information that is kind of loving important for the people trying to save him.

Police have no legal duty to help anyone or take any action that might protect human life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

chitoryu12 posted:

“This shooting is not justified, but also not criminal."

Nice to see that police, yet again, have greater leeway in illegal murdering than civilians. Normally if I were to shoot someone unjustifiably, I would be in a prison cell.

You'd be wrong, accidental shootings are not a criminal offense

Toasticle
Jul 18, 2003

Hay guys, out this Rape

Trabisnikof posted:

Police have no legal duty to help anyone or take any action that might protect human life.

Assuming this isn't sarcasm, are you seriously saying not telling the medics he loving shot the guy is in any way comparable?

Raerlynn
Oct 28, 2007

Sorry I'm late, I'm afraid I got lost on the path of life.

Toasticle posted:

Assuming this isn't sarcasm, are you seriously saying not telling the medics he loving shot the guy is in any way comparable?

It's not sarcasm. It's truth. It's hosed up, but welcome to police in America. He's not defending the officer, but pointing out that the officer has no legal duty to render aid. This leads to some debates in this thread and its predecessor about the topic.

archangelwar
Oct 28, 2004

Teaching Moments

Jarmak posted:

Accidental shootings absolutely can fall under criminal negligence statutes. You are correct in that it is not always criminal.

Toasticle
Jul 18, 2003

Hay guys, out this Rape

Raerlynn posted:

It's not sarcasm. It's truth. It's hosed up, but welcome to police in America. He's not defending the officer, but pointing out that the officer has no legal duty to render aid. This leads to some debates in this thread and its predecessor about the topic.

I didn't say anything about him not rendering aid, he willfully withheld extremely important medical information from medical personnel so he wouldn't get in trouble. That has nothing to do with not being required to take action, it's risking someone's life by lying by omission.

And there's no way he 'forgot' since he suddenly remembered he shot the guy in the neck once his supervisor started talking about investigating why he had a bullet In his neck by going back the bar. Suddenly "Oh yeah, that was me. Sorry"

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Jarmak posted:

If I pulled a gun on a drunk guy who just rolled his car and fingerfucked the trigger so I accidentally shot him in the neck, did I do something illegal?

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

chitoryu12 posted:

If I pulled a gun on a drunk guy who just rolled his car and fingerfucked the trigger so I accidentally shot him in the neck, did I do something illegal?

Sadly it depends on the state. In Florida for example, that wouldn't be a crime unless you yourself were drunk or you thought the gun was unloaded so you pulled the trigger. Even "accidentally" killing someone isn't a crime there:

quote:

William DeHayes told police that his .22 caliber handgun went off after he spun it around his finger. The bullet struck Katherine Hoover in the head, killing her. Her unborn son died soon after.

Hoover's mother, Donna Bryan, has started a petition on Change.org, asking prosecutors to reconsider their decision not to charge DeHayes.

"How is it that DeHayes' right to own and play recklessly with his guns trumps my daughter's right to life?," Bryan asks. So far, more than 2,800 people have signed the petition.

But in a letter responding to Bryan's request for a prosecution, Florida State Attorney Brad King said that DeHayes' actions simply didn't rise to the level of a crime under Florida law.

"An accidental discharge of a firearm causing death, even if the result of gross negligence cannot be prosecuted criminally," King wrote. "Just as it is my duty to prosecute those who violate the law, it is equally my duty to refrain from prosecuting those whose conduct, no matter how outrageous, does not constitute a crime. This is such a case."

According to Florida Assistant State Attorney Pete Magrino, in order to rise to the level of a crime in Florida, an unintentional shooting must meet the standard of "culpable negligence." In his decline-to-charge memo, Magrino describes culpable negligence as "showing reckless disregard for human life."

Had DeHayes pulled the trigger of his gun intentionally, for example, thinking the firearm was unloaded, and it went off, or had he been drunk or under the influence of drugs when the shooting occurred, that would have been a crime. But, as Magrino's colleague Chief Assistant State Attorney Ric Ridgway told 48 Hours' Crimesider, "If you're just being careless with a gun and it goes off, that's not a crime."

I think this says more about our insane gun laws than anything. If I was being doing donuts with my car and killed someone the law would be different.

(http://www.cbsnews.com/news/when-is-an-accidental-shooting-really-a-crime/)

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

archangelwar posted:

Accidental shootings absolutely can fall under criminal negligence statutes. You are correct in that it is not always criminal.

It depends on the state but not typically, searching through news articles I can only find 3 instances in the last year and one of those was a plea deal.

That's in a country with over 500 accidental firearm deaths a year.

archangelwar
Oct 28, 2004

Teaching Moments

Trabisnikof posted:

Sadly it depends on the state. In Florida for example, that wouldn't be a crime unless you yourself were drunk or you thought the gun was unloaded so you pulled the trigger. Even "accidentally" killing someone isn't a crime there:

I think this says more about our insane gun laws than anything. If I was being doing donuts with my car and killed someone the law would be different.

(http://www.cbsnews.com/news/when-is-an-accidental-shooting-really-a-crime/)

In some ways I am torn on this issue. It is a hard line to walk, as you don't want to universally criminalize accidents.

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

You are objectively correct that this person is dumb and has said dumb things

archangelwar posted:

In some ways I am torn on this issue. It is a hard line to walk, as you don't want to universally criminalize accidents.
I don't think it's that hard. There's accidents where you were doing something reasonable, and there's accidents where you weren't (edit: Drawing on a drunk guy who just rolled his car should be considered unreasonable). Here's criminal negligence in my state:

quote:

A person is criminally negligent or acts with criminal negligence when he or she fails to be aware of a substantial risk that a wrongful act may occur and his or her failure to be aware of such substantial risk constitutes a gross deviation from the standard of care that a reasonable person would exercise in the same situation.
Trabisnikof's characterization of what that article says is pretty wrong.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

twodot posted:

Trabisnikof's characterization of what that article says is pretty wrong.

Really? What part of this:

Trabisnikof posted:

In Florida for example, that wouldn't be a crime unless you yourself were drunk or you thought the gun was unloaded so you pulled the trigger. Even "accidentally" killing someone isn't a crime there:

Is not backed up by this:

quote:

"An accidental discharge of a firearm causing death, even if the result of gross negligence cannot be prosecuted criminally," King wrote. "Just as it is my duty to prosecute those who violate the law, it is equally my duty to refrain from prosecuting those whose conduct, no matter how outrageous, does not constitute a crime. This is such a case."

According to Florida Assistant State Attorney Pete Magrino, in order to rise to the level of a crime in Florida, an unintentional shooting must meet the standard of "culpable negligence." In his decline-to-charge memo, Magrino describes culpable negligence as "showing reckless disregard for human life."

Had DeHayes pulled the trigger of his gun intentionally, for example, thinking the firearm was unloaded, and it went off, or had he been drunk or under the influence of drugs when the shooting occurred, that would have been a crime. But, as Magrino's colleague Chief Assistant State Attorney Ric Ridgway told 48 Hours' Crimesider, "If you're just being careless with a gun and it goes off, that's not a crime."

Which is from a story about where a guy was spinning his gun on his finger, killed someone and the DA believed no crime had occurred because it wasn't culpable negligence.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Also note the tradition of the dash cam video magically loosing sound at the time of shooting, the cop using the flashlight to look for his shell casings rather than render aid after seeing that yes, he did indeed shoot the person, but still isn't the threshold of criminal as defined by the DA:

quote:

A persona acts with criminal negligence when: 1) He or she acts in a reckless way that creates a high risk of death or great bodily injury; and 2) A reasonable person would have known that acting in that way would create such a risk. In other words, a person acts with criminal negligence when the way he or she acts is so different from the way an ordinarily careful person would actin the same situation that his or her act amounts to disregard of human life or indifference tot he consequence of that act." And any proof of criminal negligence is upon the prosecution to prove beyond a reasonable doubt. The facts here do not rise to that proof.

To my eyes the video does not look at all as if it was accidental and the officer did shoot twice, but you can't confirm that because the sound was cut off.

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

Trabisnikof posted:

Really? What part of this:
Bolding added:

Trabisnikof posted:

The usage of unless implies that the only way for accidentally shooting someone is either to be drunk or thought the gun was unloaded, but those are just two examples that the person is saying is definitely a crime. The last sentence is a direct contradiction to premise of the entire discussion, when accidentally killing someone is a crime (which is when you reach the relevant standard of negligence in whatever state).

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

twodot posted:

Bolding added:

The usage of unless implies that the only way for accidentally shooting someone is either to be drunk or thought the gun was unloaded, but those are just two examples that the person is saying is definitely a crime. The last sentence is a direct contradiction to premise of the entire discussion, when accidentally killing someone is a crime (which is when you reach the relevant standard of negligence in whatever state).

Oh you you're just fishmechin' got it. Because accidentally shooting someone isn't a crime unless you reach the relevant standard of negligence.

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

Trabisnikof posted:

Oh you you're just fishmechin' got it. Because accidentally shooting someone isn't a crime unless you reach the relevant standard of negligence.
Saying that "Even "accidentally" killing someone isn't a crime there" because it is only sometimes criminal is no different from saying "Even deliberately killing someone isn't a crime there" because it is only sometimes criminal. You are bad at words.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

twodot posted:

Saying that "Even "accidentally" killing someone isn't a crime there" isn't a crime because it is only sometimes criminal is no different from saying "Even deliberately killing someone isn't a crime there" because it is only sometimes criminal. You are bad at words.

Are you seriously starting a derail over his grammar?

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

Jarmak posted:

Are you seriously starting a derail over his grammar?
If people are going to disagree with me that their characterization of an article is bad, but the reason they disagree with me is that they wrote something objectively stupid and expected me to real time transform their objectively stupid sentence into something that made actual sense, I would rather have the derail than objectively stupid characterizations of articles.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

twodot posted:

If people are going to disagree with me that their characterization of an article is bad, but the reason they disagree with me is that they wrote something objectively stupid and expected me to real time transform their objectively stupid sentence into something that made actual sense, I would rather have the derail than objectively stupid characterizations of articles.

You really seem to have problems understanding the difference between an affirmative defense and an act that isn't criminalized.

For example the statement: "Speech isn't criminalized in the US", do you think it is valid or invalid? Some speech can in fact get me convicted, but generally speech cannot.

The example from the article was a man who was spinning his gun around his finger when he shot someone, the DA said "An accidental discharge of a firearm causing death, even if the result of gross negligence cannot be prosecuted criminally" so yeah, I still think saying that "in Florida accidentally [shooting] someone isn't a crime" is a valid statement, since it is on face true and backed up by evidence.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

How is that not negligent homicide? He was literally behaving recklessly with a loving weapon

Toasticle
Jul 18, 2003

Hay guys, out this Rape
Maybe I just hate cops but there would to me seem to be a ever so slight difference between twirling a gun on your finger and it firing and drawing, aiming, shooting then suddenly forgetting that you shot a guy in the neck.

Do you think the outcome of gun twirler would have been different had he drawn, aimed and shot the guy then claimed it was an accident?

archangelwar
Oct 28, 2004

Teaching Moments

Toasticle posted:

Maybe I just hate cops but there would to me seem to be a ever so slight difference between twirling a gun on your finger and it firing and drawing, aiming, shooting then suddenly forgetting that you shot a guy in the neck.

Do you think the outcome of gun twirler would have been different had he drawn, aimed and shot the guy then claimed it was an accident?

Personally I feel that cops own an even greater responsibility, and would be comfortable holding them to higher burden when it comes to negligence, including criminal.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

KomradeX posted:

How is that not negligent homicide? He was literally behaving recklessly with a loving weapon
I'd guess that, since he didn't intend to pull the trigger, he lacked mens rea? IANAL.

He can still get taken for everything in a civil suit.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Toasticle posted:

There's a massive difference, twirling a loaded firearm on your finger by the trigger-well is is astoundingly dangerous, and aiming a gun at someone you're trying to arrest is a standard practice.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Jarmak posted:

There's a massive difference, twirling a loaded firearm on your finger by the trigger-well is is astoundingly dangerous, and aiming a gun at someone you're trying to arrest is a standard practice.
Did you watch the video?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
I seem to recall that IDF soldiers get charged with "misuse of a firearm" under these types of circumstances, at least if there's sufficient outcry by rights groups about someone "accidentally" getting killed.

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

Trabisnikof posted:

You really seem to have problems understanding the difference between an affirmative defense and an act that isn't criminalized.
Fun fact: self defense isn't an affirmative defense in Florida.

quote:

For example the statement: "Speech isn't criminalized in the US", do you think it is valid or invalid? Some speech can in fact get me convicted, but generally speech cannot.
Turns out that context exists! Bolding added:

Trabisnikof posted:

If someone said "Sadly, speech isn't criminalized in the US", I would definitely say, "Uh, are you aware that certain bad forms of speech are in fact criminalized?" This would be especially true if you followed up with "I think this says more about our insane mouth laws than anything. If I was writing a letter the law would be different".

Toasticle
Jul 18, 2003

Hay guys, out this Rape

archangelwar posted:

Personally I feel that cops own an even greater responsibility, and would be comfortable holding them to higher burden when it comes to negligence, including criminal.

I think the last thread buried that idea under a mountain of "Why do you want to take away cops rights"

But yeah, giving someone a weapon and the authority to use it to kill should carry a much greater responsibility for what you do with that gun. I'm sure someone will pull up a somewhat relevant example but I agree if you are issued a weapon "oops it just went off :shrug: " should not be a defense unless the weapon is examined an is shown to have a mechanical flaw.

Raerlynn
Oct 28, 2007

Sorry I'm late, I'm afraid I got lost on the path of life.

Jarmak posted:

So I'm just going to point out two problems with this view:

1. Perhaps officers shouldn't be starting an encounter with their lethal weapon of last resort

2. The instruction I've always heard drilled into heads about guns was the only time you point a firearm at something or someone is when you intend to shoot it. In my eyes that's a lot more preventable than an accident.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Dead Reckoning posted:

I'd guess that, since he didn't intend to pull the trigger, he lacked mens rea? IANAL.

But it's like the same thing with drunk driving, no one intends to hurt anyone when they do it, but they can and it does happen

This is just really another example of Florida being a lovely state isn't it?

Toasticle
Jul 18, 2003

Hay guys, out this Rape

Jarmak posted:

Drawing on a guy who just flipped his car and opened the door is standard practice? Because "he thought he was going to flee"?

I've never flipped a car but I feel safe in saying the odds of that person fleeing much less just being able to stand up are pretty low.

KomradeX posted:

This is just really another example of Florida being a lovely state isn't it?

Having lived in Miami, Orlando and places in between, you have no idea how hosed up this state is.

Toasticle fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Dec 11, 2015

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Dead Reckoning posted:

Why wouldn't this fall under qualified immunity? The shooter was clearly acting in an official role at the time.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Trabisnikof posted:

Why wouldn't this fall under qualified immunity? The shooter was clearly acting in an official role at the time.
Talkin' about the guy spinning a gun on his finger cowboy style.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Raerlynn posted:

So I'm just going to point out two problems with this view:

1. Perhaps officers shouldn't be starting an encounter with their lethal weapon of last resort

2. The instruction I've always heard drilled into heads about guns was the only time you point a firearm at something or someone is when you intend to shoot it. In my eyes that's a lot more preventable than an accident.

That's valid criticism, but you can't charge an individual with a criminal negligence for following what is a standard practice.

Trabisnikof posted:

I'm pretty sure it would

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Dead Reckoning posted:

Talkin' about the guy spinning a gun on his finger cowboy style.

That makes way more sense. I seem to be lacking in brain today.

Toasticle
Jul 18, 2003

Hay guys, out this Rape

Jarmak posted:

I'm pretty sure it would

The previous QI discussion was a mess so sorry if this was covered, but doesn't the shot person have to be a danger to the cop or others? And is shooting someone fleeing from an accident after running a red really a valid reason to use lethal force?

Not to flippant but if he did run, so what? Yeah the passenger died but it's entirely believable that a drunk who just flipped his car didn't know she was dead, and if so are a DUI, running a red light and fleeing an accident scene crimes where shooting him for running is justifiable use of deadly force?

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Toasticle posted:

The previous QI discussion was a mess so sorry if this was covered, but doesn't the shot person have to be a danger to the cop or others? And is shooting someone fleeing from an accident after running a red really a valid reason to use lethal force?

Not to flippant but if he did run, so what? Yeah the passenger died but it's entirely believable that a drunk who just flipped his car didn't know she was dead, and if so are a DUI, running a red light and fleeing an accident scene crimes where shooting him for running is justifiable use of deadly force?

Yeah if he had intentionally shot him that would be the case, but the action we're talking about here is pulling his firearm. So to pierce QI you'd have show not only that the act of pulling his weapon violated the guy's rights, but that no reasonable officer could have thought it was legal for him to do so, an argument that would be defeated with 30 second and access to youtube.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

So exactly what is the justification for a negligent discharge like that not being criminal? It's not exactly "My gun just went off while cleaning it!" He willingly drew and aimed his gun at someone, and he pulled the trigger by accident and shot him in the neck. The only reason a man died that night is because he knowingly engaged in actions that put someone's life at risk. I'm not saying the guy needs a first degree murder charge and 10 years in jail. I just can't imagine how this kind of action doesn't even apply for manslaughter.

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Jarmak posted:

Yeah if he had intentionally shot him that would be the case, but the action we're talking about here is pulling his firearm. So to pierce QI you'd have show not only that the act of pulling his weapon violated the guy's rights, but that no reasonable officer could have thought it was legal for him to do so, an argument that would be defeated with 30 second and access to youtube.

To be honest, "Other cops do it all the time" should not be a valid defense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
I really don't like how QI means there seems to be no real mechanism to get cops to stop being stupid with their guns. It even seems to encourage it. If you look too competent with your hasty shootings, there goes your best defense.

• Locked thread