Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

The Moon Monster posted:

So are they keeping a decent playerbase or has it done the usual MMO post-launch drop off?

Thayd is packed fwiw. People are pugging the first raid tier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

"Sooner or later, every curse is a prayer."
I'm really interested to see a player census

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

Rhymenoserous posted:

I'll re-iterate that raiding in this game is a pretty top notch experience, and they give me the same vibe that the current dungeons do "Difficult but doable". There are a dozen(ish) minibosses that all spit out loot, plus the bosses as well, I did get a bit annoyed that most of the pieces I rolled on and actually won were fairly minor upgrades, but that's nothing unique to this game.

I said the same thing a year ago nobody believed me.

Shame they hid it behind the most hideous attunement in recent MMO history.

ZeroTime
Oct 13, 2011

Deki posted:

I said the same thing a year ago nobody believed me.

Shame they hid it behind the most hideous attunement in recent MMO history.

Haven't played since launch, have they got rid of the attunement yet?

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?
I think it's down to something stupidly simple like just four steps. Get 50, get silver or something less insane on a few dungeons, get the gems, kill a world boss.

Instead of the loving 13 step program they had before.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

John Dyne posted:

I think it's down to something stupidly simple like just four steps. Get 50, get silver or something less insane on a few dungeons, get the gems, kill a world boss.

Instead of the loving 13 step program they had before.

Buy key, get bronze on dungeons, do a side boss in kv. Done. Can be done in an afternoon.

EDIT: And you can technically buy the key after you do the dungeons because it mines your achievement log. To get to the next raid you have to down the end boss in the first raid.

Rhymenoserous fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Nov 25, 2015

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
is the pvp at all balanced or is one or more classes still stupidly powerful

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Farg posted:

is the pvp at all balanced or is one or more classes still stupidly powerful

Gear trumps everything once you hit lvl 30+.

whatspeakyou
Mar 3, 2010

no fucks given.
Is the item limits for plots still the same it was back at launch? I had a kickass seedy street corner but had to close half the map off due to item count limits.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008
They are much higher and you can pay for more.

whatspeakyou
Mar 3, 2010

no fucks given.
Is there even a goon presence left? and if so, where?

Bird Law
Nov 5, 2009

Hummingbirds are a legal tender.
Despite this dumpster fire thread I decided to try out Wildstar, it's fun so far! I'm an Exile Engineer.

And to echo whatspeakyou, is there a Goon guild or channel or whatever Wildstar calls it?

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008
On exile side there is no goon guild that I'm aware of, but if you want to join a guild with a couple of goons in it I can make that happen.

Bird Law
Nov 5, 2009

I'd considered rolling up a Dominion alt anyway, is there an established goon guild over there?

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008
There are no established goon guilds.

ModeSix
Mar 14, 2009

Rhymenoserous posted:

There are no established goon guilds.

Ever. In anything.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Bird Law posted:

I'd considered rolling up a Dominion alt anyway, is there an established goon guild over there?

This is a dead game.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Stanley Pain posted:

This is a dead game.

Not really.

Not Grover
Nov 6, 2007
I hadn't played basically since beta, and I just came back a few weeks ago. On the whole, I'm having fun. I'm on Entity/Dominion, and I will admit that sometimes the game feels a little bit empty, or it did when I was leveling, anyway. I didn't come across a lot of other people questing, and when I did nobody ever wanted to team up for the group/boss type quest kills. I wound up joining a guild, and even then people seem surprisingly standoffish in a way that I haven't seen in any other MMO. Maybe it's just a fluke/my experience, but I thought it was odd. Anyway, if anyone wants to add me my main is Rashara Coldblood, lvl 50 SS in <Beyond the Event Horizon>.

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

Not Grover posted:

I hadn't played basically since beta, and I just came back a few weeks ago. On the whole, I'm having fun. I'm on Entity/Dominion, and I will admit that sometimes the game feels a little bit empty, or it did when I was leveling, anyway. I didn't come across a lot of other people questing, and when I did nobody ever wanted to team up for the group/boss type quest kills. I wound up joining a guild, and even then people seem surprisingly standoffish in a way that I haven't seen in any other MMO. Maybe it's just a fluke/my experience, but I thought it was odd. Anyway, if anyone wants to add me my main is Rashara Coldblood, lvl 50 SS in <Beyond the Event Horizon>.

The standoffishness is pretty typical of Dominion. Exile side seems a bit better, and by that I mean it's no worse than your average gaggle of MMO pubbies.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Anoia posted:

The standoffishness is pretty typical of Dominion. Exile side seems a bit better, and by that I mean it's no worse than your average gaggle of MMO pubbies.

Exiles also see a lot more people in leveling zones. If you had leveled during the 2x weekend you couldn't swing a cat without hitting someone else out in the wild. It's cooled off a bit now as just about everyone has a new 50 they are trying to gear up on the cheap.

Bird Law
Nov 5, 2009

I'm only level 14, and yet to team, but so far Exile side has seemed relatively lively. I'm almost always in range of another player according to the UI and in Thayd in what I would consider an off hour I'm surrounded by 30+ people all the time.

It's really a shame this game's launch was botched so bad, well both of them I guess (launch and F2P launch). I really like the game's style, story, combat, it's all really really well done.

Disclaimer, my only other MMO was City of Heroes, which according to the crazier of those fans I'm now literally both Satan and Hitler for playing another NCSoft game.

ModeSix
Mar 14, 2009

Bird Law posted:

I'm only level 14, and yet to team, but so far Exile side has seemed relatively lively. I'm almost always in range of another player according to the UI and in Thayd in what I would consider an off hour I'm surrounded by 30+ people all the time.

It's really a shame this game's launch was botched so bad, well both of them I guess (launch and F2P launch). I really like the game's style, story, combat, it's all really really well done.

Disclaimer, my only other MMO was City of Heroes, which according to the crazier of those fans I'm now literally both Satan and Hitler for playing another NCSoft game.

So that would make you Shitler?

iRoNgHosT
Mar 10, 2003

www.fusionball.com

Bird Law posted:

Yeah, I played this for several hours last night, and the base gameplay is great. The UI is terrible, but once I got past the starting area, I actually had a lot of fun. The game promotes exploration, which I'm quite fond of.

I'm really surprised there isn't a goon guild for this game.

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot

iRoNgHosT posted:

Yeah, I played this for several hours last night, and the base gameplay is great. The UI is terrible, but once I got past the starting area, I actually had a lot of fun. The game promotes exploration, which I'm quite fond of.

the game was really bad at lunch and the whole year before f2p was them falling on their rear end many times trying to promote the "hardcore". since F2P the game become a bit more casual. I may play this game instead of GW2 now since that game is becoming a hardcore mess.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

iRoNgHosT posted:

So, this is where things were:

You had to pay actual money to have premium in order to create a guild.
:psyduck:

I can understand a lot of monetization but this is basically anti profits . "Guild limit of 500 without premium" or some other separation would've been fine, but none at all basically makes it harder for people to organize and thus get x number of your friends interested in the game. Etc.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

notwithoutmyanus posted:

So, this is where things were:

You had to pay actual money to have premium in order to create a guild.
:psyduck:

I can understand a lot of monetization but this is basically anti profits . "Guild limit of 500 without premium" or some other separation would've been fine, but none at all basically makes it harder for people to organize and thus get x number of your friends interested in the game. Etc.

Money is pretty easy to make in game if you aren't terminally lazy. A group of five people pooling together to buy a CRED to create a guild would only take a day if even that. If anyone is playing exiles side, I can give you a home. It isn't a "Goon Guild" but there are a couple of goons in it.

As far as how "HARDCORE" the content is, the dungeons and raids are nothing more than puzzles that need to be figured out and practiced. I had a guy in my guild who declared Stormtalon completely impossible to survive the first time he stepped in (Despite the fact that the other two DPS completed the fight while he sucked floor). A week later and he has no problems surviving it. Hopefully next week he'll be at the same level I am where he can survive the mechanics while applying full dps rotations to the boss (He's probably got the slowest learning rate in the guild, but he's also in his 50's). People are pugging the first raid tier, and I understand possibly the second as well.

If the game has any flaw that really needs to be fixed I'd say it's the sheer grindy nature of max level.

Rolling to ideal runeslots eats a lot of gold/plat, or you can go the cheap way and use omnibits (You earn these just by playing the game) to transfer into service tokens to just roll the slots you need if you don't mind taking a month to do it all. Or you just throw 10 bucks at the cash store and spend real money to do it. Basically brand new 50's are cash starved and the best way to get into end game fast is to throw real life money at the problem, which I'm not a fan of.

Prior to about a month ago it was even worse as the rune components themselves were extremely expensive. I will say having a slightly affluent level 50 already hanging about allowed me to gear/rune my new 50 fairly quickly so that was nice.

Rhymenoserous fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Dec 11, 2015

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

iRoNgHosT posted:

Download forgeui from curse.

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

I logged in to boggle at all the extra poo poo that got added to my account inventory by virtue of existing, and the cash shop outfits are by far the ugliest I've ever seen some charge real money for in a game... And SWTOR's were pretty ugly.

mushroom_spore
May 9, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Rhymenoserous posted:

Money is pretty easy to make in game if you aren't terminally lazy. A group of five people pooling together to buy a CRED to create a guild would only take a day if even that.

In addition to this, blocking completely free accounts from creating guilds (without extra time and effort involved) was probably implemented to help cut down on invite spam from gold sellers or whatever.

EDIT: Googled a little bit and yep the gold sellers were apparently doing poo poo like this https://forums.wildstar-online.com/forums/index.php?/topic/81879-do-we-report-people-in-obviously-gold-seller-made-guilds/

mushroom_spore fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Dec 11, 2015

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Ah, the ol' "gently caress over legitimate customers in order to combat a minor issue" strategy.

ModeSix
Mar 14, 2009

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Ah, the ol' "gently caress over legitimate customers in order to combat a minor issue" strategy.

A "legitimate customer" who hasn't spent anything on the game isn't really a customer... Customers spend money on things, therefore if you were a customer you would not be blocked from creating a guild.

Also I'm not sure if you've ever played a f2p game before, but gold spammers/sellers are not a "minor issue" as you put it. In most f2p titles they are rampant and disruptive.

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Everyone is a mayor... Someday..
Lipstick Apathy
Could just give the player an option to enable/disable guild invites. Paywall is a bit overkill.

mushroom_spore
May 9, 2004

by R. Guyovich
GW2's anti-spammer/scammer free to play measures are considerably harsher. Wildstar's aren't really unreasonable IMO. :iiam:

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

How much of a RMT market does WildStar have? I mean I saw some Aurin named zejdgktoldgh and such when I made a new Mordesh but really?

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Anoia posted:

How much of a RMT market does WildStar have? I mean I saw some Aurin named zejdgktoldgh and such when I made a new Mordesh but really?

It was pretty out of control for a couple of weeks, but they seem to have a handle on things.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

gently caress this game. I even payed the box price at launch. MMMOs suck.

I'm really excited for Blade and Soul though.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

gently caress this game. I even payed the box price at launch. MMMOs suck.

I'm really excited for Blade and Soul though.

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

Please don't post pictures of us mainlining MMOs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot
I just got to build my own house now, why oh why isn't this feature in another better game :(

• Locked thread