Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Which brings me to my next problem. I want to update Botania, how the hell do i do that for the blightfall pack?

Will i break everything? Will i break anything?

And im starting a multiplayer this weekend witha friend (who will ge the launcher and the pack) do they need to have the same botania i have if im hosting the game?

(i need to make a single player then open up LAN right? to get someone to join?---- i set up port forwarding a few days ago, but havent actually tried it out)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away

Demiurge4 posted:

Has anyone tried the game Fortresscraft Evolved? Direwolf20 did a spotlight on it and it looks like a cool mix between Minecraft and Factorio. Though it's very feature incomplete and doesn't reward exploration very much.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JTQQ6lLtL04

Tedium in game form. It is very janky and does not meet up to anything offered in minecraft mods. Very buggy. Ugly.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Meskhenet posted:

Which brings me to my next problem. I want to update Botania, how the hell do i do that for the blightfall pack?

Will i break everything? Will i break anything?

And im starting a multiplayer this weekend witha friend (who will ge the launcher and the pack) do they need to have the same botania i have if im hosting the game?

(i need to make a single player then open up LAN right? to get someone to join?---- i set up port forwarding a few days ago, but havent actually tried it out)

The latest versions of Botania really shake up the whole mod, especially with crafting recipes. Blightfall's custom Botania stuff is pretty light, but, e.g., if any of the custom recipes require a mana petal, it's not going to work at all.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Starting a Baby's First Space Race pack for 2 people new to Minecraft, I want to add thaumcraft and Botania, but I don't have any good quests for it. Did that exportable .json quest mod thing come out so I can drop a few extra ones for the mods I add?

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Actually, nevermind different request, can someone help me make a server for this modpack? http://technicpack.net/modpack/requiem-hqm.759053/updates

Turtlicious fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Dec 11, 2015

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Glory of Arioch posted:

The latest versions of Botania really shake up the whole mod, especially with crafting recipes. Blightfall's custom Botania stuff is pretty light, but, e.g., if any of the custom recipes require a mana petal, it's not going to work at all.

I did it. Put the new jar in the mod folder.

Game loaded ok, told me i lost my whisperweed and eulcidaisy, only had 1 so no prob.

Game was running a bit janky, and crashes as soon as i tried to open the apoc page in the thaumicon.

It needs to be updated as the changes to botania are pretty good .

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Meskhenet posted:

I did it. Put the new jar in the mod folder.

Game loaded ok, told me i lost my whisperweed and eulcidaisy, only had 1 so no prob.

Game was running a bit janky, and crashes as soon as i tried to open the apoc page in the thaumicon.

It needs to be updated as the changes to botania are pretty good .
yeah, not surprised

you'd need to find all the mods that implement extra botania nonsense and upgrade them too, if they have even released Botania version 1.8 (not minecraft 1.8) compatible versions

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Is there a mod out there that lets me teleport a player to the overworld spawn? I'm so close here for this tutorial dimension. I got the RFTools dimension up, and a command block that can run a command on the player. However, I don't have an appropriate command. There's a mod out that can do the /spawn command, but it does not accept a target player. The command block then is trying to run it on itself and gets rejected. I see some stuff about an /execute command that would let me target the command, but it's not found when I try to run it.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Is there a mod out there that lets me teleport a player to the overworld spawn? I'm so close here for this tutorial dimension. I got the RFTools dimension up, and a command block that can run a command on the player. However, I don't have an appropriate command. There's a mod out that can do the /spawn command, but it does not accept a target player. The command block then is trying to run it on itself and gets rejected. I see some stuff about an /execute command that would let me target the command, but it's not found when I try to run it.

Botania's World Seed is a one-use item that returns the user to the world spawn, but I don't know if it works across dimensions.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

If, for whatever reason, you've got MystCraft in there, it has the /txp command which can teleport targets between dimensions. IIRC /tpx <target> 0 would teleport them to the overworld spawn.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

CrazyTolradi posted:

If, for whatever reason, you've got MystCraft in there, it has the /txp command which can teleport targets between dimensions. IIRC /tpx <target> 0 would teleport them to the overworld spawn.

I had it in there for about 12 hours until I read all this crap about the cake it bakes in this thread.

Glory of Arioch posted:

Botania's World Seed is a one-use item that returns the user to the world spawn, but I don't know if it works across dimensions.
An item isn't going to quite do what I want.

The gist is I want the player to start in a tutorial world in BFSR, where they can look at the quest book in peace, and look at some actual examples of some of the more intricate stuff being described in it. When they are set, they'd do something that would take them to an overworld spawn based on the terrain generation rules they picked when they created the world.

I also somehow envision funny things with CustomNPCs, like a nurse at the tutorial world spawn claiming you were just a baby 5 minutes ago until she sprayed you with bonemeal.

Rocko Bonaparte fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Dec 11, 2015

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

have a vat/glass cage with a few baby villagers in the room, one of the vats open.

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Is there a mod that has a handheld teleport that will take me to fixed coordinates in one place, but always take me back to where I just used it? I was hoping for something like this for BFSR. An example:

1. Player is in overworld at coordinates A, and wants to look at an example smeltery.
2. They use magic item to teleport to tutorial dimension location X.
3. They look at a little thing on building a smeltery.
4. They use the magic item to teleport back to coordinates A in the overworld.
5. Later, they are at coordinates B, and want to look at a reactor.
6. They use the magic item to teleport to tutorial dimension location X again.
7. They look at the reactor exhibits.
8. They use the magic item to teleport to coordinates B.

Is this a thing that exists? I'm just thinking of giving out warp books like candy and having a renewable quest reward one to always take them to the tutorial dimension in case they lose one. That's about it.

Thats sort of what i am trying to write at the moment, Dimensional Transponders
You place a transponder down and detail private/public etc, then you can use a fixed or hand unit to teleport to those transponders (even in unloaded worlds/chunks)

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Meskhenet posted:

ohh, but i use an adblocker anyhow.... haha oh well.

Wellllll, having a tinfoil hat may be in-sufficient. I remember something about some download sites adding on viruses and other stuff to whatever you download so the authors had to add MD5 hashes so people could confirm that the file wasn't tampered with by the download site, and there is a significant increase of malware that infect your computer though what I suspect is old government mandated backdoors and other crap, I don't know the full story. Also ad-fly and it's creator can burn in hell, I go by no-script as my first line of defense.

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy

SugarAddict posted:

Also ad-fly and it's creator can burn in hell, I go by no-script as my first line of defense.

I can't remember if it was adfly or one of its imitators (yeah, there are multiple adflys now) but one of them suggested on the page that users would use their service every time they share a link on social media.

Which is such a monumentally lovely idea it feels like it was cribbed from an episode of Black Mirror.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

TheresaJayne posted:

Thats sort of what i am trying to write at the moment, Dimensional Transponders
You place a transponder down and detail private/public etc, then you can use a fixed or hand unit to teleport to those transponders (even in unloaded worlds/chunks)

How far along is it, and does it have a GitHub?

Sexual Aluminum
Jun 21, 2003

is made of candy
Soiled Meat
So I had a great time with Blightfall, are there any other good HQM packs out there on the platform?

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Sexual Aluminum posted:

So I had a great time with Blightfall, are there any other good HQM packs out there on the platform?

ME3, babys first space race, regrowth I guess would all be ones I recommend.

Halibut Barn
May 30, 2005

help

SugarAddict posted:

Wellllll, having a tinfoil hat may be in-sufficient. I remember something about some download sites adding on viruses and other stuff to whatever you download so the authors had to add MD5 hashes so people could confirm that the file wasn't tampered with by the download site, and there is a significant increase of malware that infect your computer though what I suspect is old government mandated backdoors and other crap, I don't know the full story. Also ad-fly and it's creator can burn in hell, I go by no-script as my first line of defense.
When searching for mods, you'll occasionally get links to sites named like "minecraftsix.com" or "minecraft8.net" that are sketchy as hell. The site itself might not add malware, but they let anyone upload anything, so who knows what someone's added in, so I'd definitely avoid those. I pretty much only trust CurseForge, minecraftforum.net threads by the mod author, and the mod author's own homepage (usually linked from the forum).

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Sexual Aluminum posted:

Regrowth is ok. Its no blightfall. Lots of babysitting crops, getting stuck behind gated crap that is way too hard to leap over (if anyone can tell me how im meant to get 3000 power to my altar so i can get the stupid twig.... im at 1800 atm)

The landscape is boring, once you build a wall there is 0 danger (other than massive slimes jumping over your fence)

I like the crop progression, i like making the ore crops, but its all pretty pointless. There is no, hey, you did this, look the land is starting to recover.

BFSR is pretty good. Im only on the tutorial stuff. Like the easy ore and build progression. But its got no thaumcraft or botania :) (just something about a little golem with glasses and tophat doing all the work ).

Though, i had a creeper drop a piece of cursed earth, which means i should get back in and make a mob farm.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Meskhenet posted:

Regrowth is ok. Its no blightfall. Lots of babysitting crops, getting stuck behind gated crap that is way too hard to leap over (if anyone can tell me how im meant to get 3000 power to my altar so i can get the stupid twig.... im at 1800 atm)

The landscape is boring, once you build a wall there is 0 danger (other than massive slimes jumping over your fence)

I like the crop progression, i like making the ore crops, but its all pretty pointless. There is no, hey, you did this, look the land is starting to recover.

BFSR is pretty good. Im only on the tutorial stuff. Like the easy ore and build progression. But its got no thaumcraft or botania :) (just something about a little golem with glasses and tophat doing all the work ).

Though, i had a creeper drop a piece of cursed earth, which means i should get back in and make a mob farm.

for regrowth:

if you've been through the End, go and grab the dragon egg (piston works well for acquiring it without weird teleportation stuff) and drop it by your altar for a cheap boost

the range it looks at is pretty large with all the upgrade items so go and plant a large variety of plantlife in a very generous radius

terrain recovery doesn't really start until you get really deep into witchery quests (i got bored of the pack before i got there personally)

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Glory of Arioch posted:

for regrowth:

if you've been through the End, go and grab the dragon egg (piston works well for acquiring it without weird teleportation stuff) and drop it by your altar for a cheap boost

the range it looks at is pretty large with all the upgrade items so go and plant a large variety of plantlife in a very generous radius

terrain recovery doesn't really start until you get really deep into witchery quests (i got bored of the pack before i got there personally)

The End isnt the nether right?

I am planting all types fo trees around the altar, ill through a heap more i guess.

So there is terrain recovery? there really isnt much that says that. no goals, so steps. just babysitting plants.

(i do like when you bonemeal the witchery trees and that mob spawns. That mofo goes down ^^)

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Meskhenet posted:

The End isnt the nether right?

I am planting all types fo trees around the altar, ill through a heap more i guess.

So there is terrain recovery? there really isnt much that says that. no goals, so steps. just babysitting plants.

(i do like when you bonemeal the witchery trees and that mob spawns. That mofo goes down ^^)

That's correct, the End is where the ender dragon is

in Regrowth you can make your own end portal by combining 9 essence of ender into a portal spawner, then hop in and spank a dragon

and yeah witchery at the end of the tech tree has tools to change biomes so i am assuming that is how you do it

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Halibut Barn posted:

When searching for mods, you'll occasionally get links to sites named like "minecraftsix.com" or "minecraft8.net" that are sketchy as hell. The site itself might not add malware, but they let anyone upload anything, so who knows what someone's added in, so I'd definitely avoid those. I pretty much only trust CurseForge, minecraftforum.net threads by the mod author, and the mod author's own homepage (usually linked from the forum).

Uh oh. BFSR's Damage Indicator's jar is from minecraftsix. That's one I can't reliably source. Does anybody know where to officially get it? I'd like to at least do an MD5 comparison.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

so ive been helping the russian bitcoin miners while playing bfsr >< lol

let us know if there is a problem with it please

Halibut Barn
May 30, 2005

help

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Uh oh. BFSR's Damage Indicator's jar is from minecraftsix. That's one I can't reliably source. Does anybody know where to officially get it? I'd like to at least do an MD5 comparison.

I've been getting it from this thread, but it looks like the one in your pack matches the legit one, fortunately.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Halibut Barn posted:

I've been getting it from this thread, but it looks like the one in your pack matches the legit one, fortunately.

Doh! I was foiled by that page because the first post was talking about ancient versions of Minecraft. I just assumed whatever was in 1.7.10 was something else completely. I'm relieved it adds up, but at least I have the proper location now.

Carados
Jan 28, 2009

We're a couple, when our bodies double.
Who else besides direwolf20 does good YouTube videos of hqm packs?

Peepers
Mar 11, 2005

Well, I'm a ghost. I scare people. It's all very important, I assure you.

OK, so I'm at the point in Galactic Sciences where I'm starting to get the materials for the tier 1 rocket together and hooooooooo boy. Let me know if there's some faster process than what I'm doing now:

1. Make cobblestone using the Extra Utilities Transfer Node generator.
2. Compress cobble using auto-crafter (I think this just saves on power consumption but the quest book suggested it so...)
3. Put compressed cobble through a MineChem decomposer.
4. Take Si and O, make SiO2, turn that into gravel.
5. Sift gravel.
6. Hammer out all the ores into dust.
7. Throw dust into a regular old furnace.
8. Repeat for several hours until I have about 2 stacks each of the iron, copper, and tin I need.

As a follow up, a huge amount of the stuff in the modpack is gated behind Desh, which is only found on Mars. Mars requires a tier 2 rocket, which is an even longer grind than what I'm working through right now. Am I actually just torturing myself right now?

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

Mr. Peepers posted:

Am I actually just torturing myself right now?

Yes.

Galactic Science is a cool concept implemented in the worst way possible.

When you get to Mars, there is nothing there other than more digging in the flat Martian Hell-Scape. No neat structures, nothing. Just more of the same lovely mobs killing you every five seconds. Also, hope you have the stuff to get back to the Moon, because the mod sure as poo poo won't be providing any for you!

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
1. Make cobblestone as you do.
2. gently caress compression (it sucks power!), transfer it into an array of crucibles over top more lava/pure ludicrousite blocks.
3. Transfer lava into stone barrel that has water running over top of it. At 1000 mb it will turn into obsidian block.
4. Put obsidian into decomposer to get SiO2 straight off the bat (along with MgO2)
5. Turn SiO2 into gravel.
6. Sift gravel.
etc.

If you can manage to make loving Refined Routing work properly (I had a hell of a time) you can power your stirling generators with buckets of lava instead of Hydrogen split from water or burning wood.

Not even sure why they're pulling Ex Astris from the pack since that's the only auto-sifting process they have.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Im stuck again in Regrowth.

Trying to make creeper soul seeds.

For the rec i need a creeper heart, which is made from 8 creeper essence, which is what the seeds give me once they are made, i dont have any way of making it as there is no hand in quest for it that i can see.

Same with rutile or what ever it is that wants impure titanium.

And ive got my altar power up to 2045. (havent been to the End yet for that dragon egg. Can i get to the end and back without dying? keep in mind i die in the nether almost instantly im that bad.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Methyl Methacrylate is a much better fuel than hydrogen, but yeah, don't play Galactic Science.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Meskhenet posted:

Im stuck again in Regrowth.

Trying to make creeper soul seeds.

For the rec i need a creeper heart, which is made from 8 creeper essence, which is what the seeds give me once they are made, i dont have any way of making it as there is no hand in quest for it that i can see.

Same with rutile or what ever it is that wants impure titanium.

And ive got my altar power up to 2045. (havent been to the End yet for that dragon egg. Can i get to the end and back without dying? keep in mind i die in the nether almost instantly im that bad.

Just kill a creeper with an Athame. Or kill a bunch of creepers. The Athame increases the drop rate, is all.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

So hey, I'm on my server, and I want to change a section of the map from Outback to something more green, like Jungle or Plains. I know I can use Worldedit to do that, but when I try to pull up the biome list, it's blank. Does anyone know why that is? I did try setting the biome to plains, but it said "For parameter 'basebiome': can't recognize base biome type 'plains'" Google isn't helping me figure this out at all right now.

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine
I've always had better luck editing biomes on the fly using the WeatherMan plugin.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Fortis posted:

I've always had better luck editing biomes on the fly using the WeatherMan plugin.

Thanks, this looks like it'll be perfect.

az
Dec 2, 2005

Getting back into minecraft after a long time, what are some good mods that are must haves / things you wish you had when you started? I remember the last time I used some packs with machines, ores, crafting stuff, farming, biomes and some misc stuff with neat gadgets like magic or smth but it's been so long I don't even know what it was or what's in the basegame these days. He;lp

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

az posted:

Getting back into minecraft after a long time, what are some good mods that are must haves / things you wish you had when you started? I remember the last time I used some packs with machines, ores, crafting stuff, farming, biomes and some misc stuff with neat gadgets like magic or smth but it's been so long I don't even know what it was or what's in the basegame these days. He;lp

* Thermal Expansion is the go-to basic utility mod these days. Think IC2, but actually built with server performance and suitability to be used by a human in mind. Most tech mods will use the Redstone Flux (RF) energy it deals in.
* Applied Energistics 2 is the best storage mod. Items are stored on disk drives, and there are utilities for autocrafting, exporting/importing items, and other stuff. Kinda difficult to learn how to use well, but even a low-effort setup beats the pants out of rows of identical chests.
* JABBA adds barrels. Barrels are great for storing lots of a single item, and the JABBA dolly can move chests with items in them.
* MineFactory Reloaded adds a litany of machines for automating farming and for spawning monsters in a controlled fashion.
* Big Reactors generate lots of RF power and are very cool.
* Botania is a tech mod disguised as a magic mod that puts heavy emphasis on building your own automation for its setpiece items. Has a lot of random utility stuff (step assist, equal trade wand, and so on)
* Inventory Tweaks, WAILA, NEI, Crafting Tweaks, and a minimap mod (Journey Map? i think) are amazing quality-of-life mods.
* Tinkers Construct adds modular weaponry and tools, which are very nice in the early game.

And some fringe ones

* Storage Drawers is probably the second-best storage mod out there (second to AE2.)
* Similsax Transtructors are a big favorite of mine; it adds the titular item, which greatly assists in building tall/long structures.
* Thaumcraft is a very rich and beautiful mod that adds a lot of gameplay, but it's gated by a pretty irritating research system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Glory of Arioch posted:

* Thermal Expansion is the go-to basic utility mod these days. Think IC2, but actually built with server performance and suitability to be used by a human in mind. Most tech mods will use the Redstone Flux (RF) energy it deals in.
* Applied Energistics 2 is the best storage mod. Items are stored on disk drives, and there are utilities for autocrafting, exporting/importing items, and other stuff. Kinda difficult to learn how to use well, but even a low-effort setup beats the pants out of rows of identical chests.
* JABBA adds barrels. Barrels are great for storing lots of a single item, and the JABBA dolly can move chests with items in them.
* MineFactory Reloaded adds a litany of machines for automating farming and for spawning monsters in a controlled fashion.
* Big Reactors generate lots of RF power and are very cool.
* Botania is a tech mod disguised as a magic mod that puts heavy emphasis on building your own automation for its setpiece items. Has a lot of random utility stuff (step assist, equal trade wand, and so on)
* Inventory Tweaks, WAILA, NEI, Crafting Tweaks, and a minimap mod (Journey Map? i think) are amazing quality-of-life mods.
* Tinkers Construct adds modular weaponry and tools, which are very nice in the early game.

And some fringe ones

* Storage Drawers is probably the second-best storage mod out there (second to AE2.)
* Similsax Transtructors are a big favorite of mine; it adds the titular item, which greatly assists in building tall/long structures.
* Thaumcraft is a very rich and beautiful mod that adds a lot of gameplay, but it's gated by a pretty irritating research system.

I am one of the people that likes the Thaumcraft research system. It makes sense, but you do need the thaumcraft research helper webpage open.
if you get Thaumcraft and AE2 get the mod that intergrates the two. cant remember it off the top of my head. But putting all your essentia into a network is satisfying in itself.

Tinkers Construct is very good. Modular/repairable stuff makes things useful.
Storage draws is good for seeing what you have, if you have the space to lay it out. Even with AE2 its nice to have some draws there for stuff you use often but dont autocraft.
Latest update to Botania makes it really good. (only making flowers with runes consumes then, before making runes with runes consumed then)

The Blightfall mod pack is good.
BFSR is also pretty good.

I think i asked on the goonrun Disasterpiece Theatre server to be whitelisted, Havent checked or tried to log yet, but their mod list looks pretty good.

Im trying to play Regrowth (still stuck behind witchery, cant get alter power up to progress, all my seeds are at 10/10/10, cant get all the tier 3 seeds as the parts arent dropping.

Using villiger spawn eggs in recs for other rec, clicking the runic alter and using the egg to spawn a villiger instead of adding it to the rec FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU!!!!!
Thaumcraft gated behind greatwood sapling, which is gated behind witchery, which is gated behind this loving altar.....

unable to find working ID's to cheat poo poo in for witchery....