Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Oh hey, I just realized I have a phone that might be able to do stuff. What is that alternative to snapchat you dudes were using?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
Rain in socal is amazing.

Everyone gets away with bald rear end tires, because it never rains. Soooo many loving cars sliding everywhere.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

iwentdoodie posted:

Everyone gets away with bald rear end tires, because it never rains. Soooo many loving cars sliding everywhere.

Its wet in norcal too. Roads are more fun now.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

cursedshitbox posted:

Its wet in norcal too. Roads are more fun now.

My 20 mile trip on the interstate passed 5 wrecks :v:

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
2015 has been good so far, expect being mostly broke from having A BABBY about a year ago and going back to a single income household is a bit tough, but otherwise really rewarding.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

iwentdoodie posted:

I had to stop looking at tires because I saw too many nearly bald tires. I'm in Ohio and we usually get a lot of snow.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
2015 was a nightmare for me

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

2015 has been good. The kids are in good health, marriage is as good as ever. Work, while slow in some regards has also been fiscally my most successful year by a large margin; approaching the territory where people would be mad at me I guess.

Have a look at what I am excited about that is going to be coming out in the first bit of next year:

It is a 1/5 RC Car powered by a 32cc gas two stroke engine. Without the engine it weighs about 39 pounds. This is 90% a final production version and I am STOKED. For scale those rear shocks at full extension are about 12" long. The shafts are 8mm in diameter.

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Somewhat Heroic posted:

2015 has been good. The kids are in good health, marriage is as good as ever. Work, while slow in some regards has also been fiscally my most successful year by a large margin; approaching the territory where people would be mad at me I guess.

Have a look at what I am excited about that is going to be coming out in the first bit of next year:

It is a 1/5 RC Car powered by a 32cc gas two stroke engine. Without the engine it weighs about 39 pounds. This is 90% a final production version and I am STOKED. For scale those rear shocks at full extension are about 12" long. The shafts are 8mm in diameter.

Which limb do i need to send in for the Vekta?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Heim joints everywhere!

That would just make me want to have a full-sized one.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
now I wish I was 1/5th scale. goddamn.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Ozmiander posted:

Which limb do i need to send in for the Vekta?

The one that is worth ~$1775.

meatpimp posted:

Heim joints everywhere!

That would just make me want to have a full-sized one.

Fun fact is the manufacturer is located very close to where Ultra 4 cars are made/built in southern California. He based his design off of Shannon Campbells race truck!

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

kastein posted:

now I wish I was 1/5th scale. goddamn.

You're like 1/.75 scale as it is. :v:

2015 rocked :keke:

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx

Enourmo posted:

you ever get nostalgic for what was objectively the worst time in your life?

2007-2008 was basically a crossroads when i could have hosed up for good and gone into a downward spiral of drugs, police encounters and eventually probably homelessness had a made a couple more mistakes

i was blowing all my money on pot, getting more and more reckless trying other drugs, being a lot more cavalier about driving drunk cause "hey man its only down the block" and basically doing nothing at all of value with my life

i was hanging out with shadier and shadier dudes and the people i called friends were basically using me as a free taxi and more often than not food-buyer

it all culminated in me getting arrested, losing my first job, getting punched in the face by my "best friend" and pretty much falling out of touch with the rest (who did not share my beef with him and for whom he was basically the "hub" if that makes sense), all within a few months. E: oh and i lost my license right after gtting a new job due to forgetting to pay a speeding ticket. that was a fun few months.

basically my entire life would be objectively better if i'd never met this dude, none of that had ever happened and i'd stayed in school the first time around

and yet... it's the only time in my life i ever remember feeling something that resembles happiness. despite the shadiness there were some fun times, i was actually going out and meeting people and having fun, i wasn't spending all hours of the day and night worrying about the loving future and spinning my wheels about all the fun times i can't afford, and i was just generally content with the state of things at the time. and i loving miss that, drat it all, despite the fact it's also the greatest source of misery in my life.

basically what the gently caress

same

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Somewhat Heroic posted:

The one that is worth ~$1775.

Fun fact is the manufacturer is located very close to where Ultra 4 cars are made/built in southern California. He based his design off of Shannon Campbells race truck!

I made a king of the hammers thread and nobody even posted in it.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Ok then
2015 has been good for me.

Full year at a big boy job got all my CCs paid off and I bought a car. Cleaned up personally a bit, got into a fun hobby. Met some women, had some dates.

A good year.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
2015 has bee excellent for me. Not much car stuff done, but bought a house and got a (better) job where I'm not taken advantage of, learning some new skills....

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

My grandmother died on my birthday in February, my job turned lovely in August after I transferred to the new contract-winner, but I did get engaged this week. 2015 has been a roller coaster.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

jonathan posted:

I made a king of the hammers thread and nobody even posted in it.

The problem with KoH is the people who like KoH. I wanna see trucks racing, not twelve minute videos of Monster and titties.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

2015: Brother went away to prison, mom died in October, GF of 7 years left me in November.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Safety Dance posted:

The problem with KoH is the people who like KoH. I wanna see trucks racing, not twelve minute videos of Monster and titties.

Monster and Bro-poo poo is ruining racing.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

InitialDave posted:

Edit: Yeah, I'm almost certain it's from the AA's 1983 Car Maintenance Course.
They confirmed to me it's the same material, at least the illustrations are - they got hold of the rights in 2011.

Safety Dance posted:

Mmm. I guess they want to try and capture the attention of people who are only half interested, and let's face it, bright colours, energy drinks and tits is a perfectly reasonable formula in that regard.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

Coredump posted:

2015: Brother went away to prison, mom died in October, GF of 7 years left me in November.

poo poo that's rough. Are you okay?

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

Been throwing up and pissing out my rear end non-stop today. Trying to chug enough water to stay hydrated. So sick of being sick.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

After a number of beers and two eggnogg/Southern Comforts, I'm actually feeling a little bit bad for SAC right now.

I thought it would take a lot more than that.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
The craving for Five Guys finally hit (thanks 14''!) but then I remembered the closest Five guys is at a mall and it's a Friday in December. No way I'm going anywhere near that.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

mariooncrack posted:

poo poo that's rough. Are you okay?

I miss being able to go over to my bro's house whenever and just chat. I took that for granted. Growing up he was my mom for the most part.

With my mom, the last time I saw her was at my grandmother's funeral in 2013. I had a lot of anger towards her over how things had gone growing up, so I didn't keep in touch with her for the last several years. When I got the news of how she passed I was just hit with a wave of I'll never be able to tell her that despite how things went, I still loved her. She died one month after her 54th birthday and I keep trying not to think about how I could have done her last birthday different, spoil her one last time, if I had known how things were going, I try not to think of these things but you know how brains are. I haven't gotten an official cause of death yet because they have to run toxicology reports but from what the detective said and what I saw in the room she was staying, it probably going to be respiratory failure due to heroin. I went to the room she was staying in the day I got the news to see if I could find any personal effects of hers to save, but she just had the necessities, clothes, toiletries, and some food. And 10 - 20 syringes around the place. I just worry she felt thrown away, like no one cared anymore.

My gf was really supportive for the weekend I got the news and the next weekend as I was wrapping up my mom's affairs but after that she just stopped coming around. I was patient with her for two weeks then we had a fight the week after Halloween and she hasn't spoken to me since. Our relationship had always had its ups and downs, but I've always tried to be there for her. It just sucks that 7 years ends like that, that I wasn't worth it to her to fight for.

Am I ok? Some days I'm ok.

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

German officer Johannes Bolter peeks out the hatch of his Tiger I heavy tank during a quiet moment before the Battle of Kursk - c:1943 (colorized)
Slippery Tilde

Coredump posted:

Coredump posted:

I miss being able to go over to my bro's house whenever and just chat. I took that for granted. Growing up he was my mom for the most part.

With my mom, the last time I saw her was at my grandmother's funeral in 2013. I had a lot of anger towards her over how things had gone growing up, so I didn't keep in touch with her for the last several years. When I got the news of how she passed I was just hit with a wave of I'll never be able to tell her that despite how things went, I still loved her. She died one month after her 54th birthday and I keep trying not to think about how I could have done her last birthday different, spoil her one last time, if I had known how things were going, I try not to think of these things but you know how brains are. I haven't gotten an official cause of death yet because they have to run toxicology reports but from what the detective said and what I saw in the room she was staying, it probably going to be respiratory failure due to heroin. I went to the room she was staying in the day I got the news to see if I could find any personal effects of hers to save, but she just had the necessities, clothes, toiletries, and some food. And 10 - 20 syringes around the place. I just worry she felt thrown away, like no one cared anymore.

My gf was really supportive for the weekend I got the news and the next weekend as I was wrapping up my mom's affairs but after that she just stopped coming around. I was patient with her for two weeks then we had a fight the week after Halloween and she hasn't spoken to me since. Our relationship had always had its ups and downs, but I've always tried to be there for her. It just sucks that 7 years ends like that, that I wasn't worth it to her to fight for.

Christ, man, I thought I'd had a lovely year :stare: :saddowns:

I have no idea what to say with the mom thing. Sucks rear end any way you slice it. It might help to remind yourself that as much as it kills you now to wonder what might have been if you'd known, you said it yourself, you didn't know how things were going - so you couldn't have done anything.

I know you can't right now, but your thinking on the whole relationship thing is completely backwards. You are worth it. If she didn't want to stick around, it is her loss. And I know you don't want to hear it, man, but if you were seven years in and you didn't even live together (please correct me if i'm wrong but the "stopped coming around" wording suggests you weren't)... that wasn't going to go anywhere anyway :saddowns:

Alas, if brains worked on logic, we wouldn't have this problem, so you're still gonna feel like poo poo for god knows how long :argh:

Some days you'll be OK, some days you won't, but one day you'll be OK and you'll stay OK (about these things anyway), we promise.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
Down 27 points, the 76ers go to the Hack A Drummond. Lol.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

The first half of this year was utterly terrible, a black downward spiral to a suicide attempt on the fourth of July.

Everything since has been tough, but I'm putting my mind and my life back together, one piece at time. The little victories count.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

God drat, some of you guys have had a lovely year. Hope you all have a much better 2016.

2015 was decent for me, not great, but got a promotion with a nice raise, and finally got my lazy rear end off the couch and started going to the gym to see if I can be something that isn't a fat-rear end eventually.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Welp. Curbed the gently caress out of a wheel tonight. Wasn't paying attention to where the curb actually was when I made a turn, I saw where the cutout was for a storm drain and took the turn wide.

Made one hell of A Noise, and took a small chunk out of the curb. I'm pretty sure I'm not meant to have alloy wheels. All 4 wheels already have some damage from a lovely tire shop, but were otherwise in pretty good shape. :fuckoff:

Fart Pipe posted:

drat dude, thats wicked sucky :(

I would kill someone if they did this to me. Im the same way, it takes HOURS for me to fall asleep but I leave my cell phone on quiet since I get random texts all the time. I tell anyone that if there is a real emergency to call my house phone.

What is this "house phone" thing?

Oh. The thing that we have that isn't actually hooked up to any phones, and exists solely to knock $5 off of my internet bill? How do you use those things anyway? They make this weird noise that I'm told is a "dial tone". But there's no green button to press after you punch in a number, and I can't figure out how to text from it. It also makes these really angry scary beeping noises when I actually do plug a phone into it if I don't put it back on the charger every few minutes. At least I think it's a charger, but it has a couple of cords. I have to plug my regular phone into a charger every night (sometimes during the day too) if I want to keep texting and driving.

Adiabatic posted:

Best bud from college died in his sleep unexpectedly.

Rest in peace, buddy

:glomp:

That sucks man. Wayyyyy too young to go too.

Coredump posted:

I haven't gotten an official cause of death yet because they have to run toxicology reports but from what the detective said and what I saw in the room she was staying, it probably going to be respiratory failure due to heroin. I went to the room she was staying in the day I got the news to see if I could find any personal effects of hers to save, but she just had the necessities, clothes, toiletries, and some food. And 10 - 20 syringes around the place. I just worry she felt thrown away, like no one cared anymore.

:smith:

I've lost a lot of friends to heroin, but not any family. Yet. Hopefully it'll stay that way. There was one point in my life where I was positive I wouldn't live past 25 (somehow I'm still wasting oxygen at 37), and I've gotten cynical enough to where if I find out a friend has started using heroin, I just mentally write them off immediately (and I've only seen 2 friends buck the trend so far).

I'm hoping I can end this year without going to a funeral, though I did lose one friend this year. Didn't find out until the day of her service. :sigh: At this point they're dropping from heart attacks and/or cancer instead of overdoses, so... minor victory I guess?

TBH I'll probably lose my poo poo whenever my parents pass.

rndmnmbr posted:

The first half of this year was utterly terrible, a black downward spiral to a suicide attempt on the fourth of July.

Everything since has been tough, but I'm putting my mind and my life back together, one piece at time. The little victories count.

Been there done that. It takes a long time to get back to loving life (and in my case, a couple of 72 hour vacations that were both accompanied by Dallas PD, thanks to a concerned friend), but it's worth it.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 10:16 on Dec 12, 2015

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

2015: Dad's mental health continued to go down hill. Disappeared for a day, only to be found in country town. Diagnosed with Alzheimer's Dementia. Now in hospital, refusing to go into aged care.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

drat, I was going to say how my year had it'd ups and downs but overall has been an incredible improvement but now I feel bad.

Anyone who's lost friends family or pets you have my honest heartfelt condolences, I've been really lucky and I'm into my 30s without having lost anyone to cancer or drugs but I also know my parents aren't going to last for ever. I was over at my parents last weekend helping my dad with some plumbing and he remarked casually that's he's the oldest any male in his family has ever got to at 61 :stare: thanks for that, somehow that's never been bought up before. Then he said that in the last 10 years he feels he's lost about 90% of his mobility and strength and ability, he looks and acts fine but to mention a weakness like that means it must be scaring the poo poo out of him. Now I feel sad again :(

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

been up all goddamn night studying and making a forula sheet for a loving SATURDAY MORNING FINAL EXAM

LETS DO THIS poo poo FUC

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

Cakefool posted:

I did ju-jitsu when I was younger.

E: hey tomarse, that awesome walls offer still standing?

Yeah - I'll get to it eventually! I've been proper busy. sorry!

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

No problem.

Our phone shows up on the broadband system hell yeah let's do that poo poo!

8th January gently caress you BT. That'll be 18 weeks from us moving in to getting broadband. I swear I feel like I'm living in a 3rd world country sometimes :negative:

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

some texas redneck posted:

What is this "house phone" thing?

Oh. The thing that we have that isn't actually hooked up to any phones, and exists solely to knock $5 off of my internet bill? How do you use those things anyway? They make this weird noise that I'm told is a "dial tone". But there's no green button to press after you punch in a number, and I can't figure out how to text from it. It also makes these really angry scary beeping noises when I actually do plug a phone into it if I don't put it back on the charger every few minutes. At least I think it's a charger, but it has a couple of cords. I have to plug my regular phone into a charger every night (sometimes during the day too) if I want to keep texting and driving.

Yea it was way cheaper for internet back when I had it and I use it for my business anyway.

rndmnmbr: So sorry to hear about your mom, thats super lovely. The thing about her dying alone with all the needles around makes me sad. That happened to the guy that I got my car from that was my uncles best friend and when I think about that it bothers me :(

So for some good news I came out to my best friend last night and it went well. I figured that I wouldnt rock the boat with my friends and family if I didnt have to until I found a dude that I liked. We have a hang out every Friday and my best friend and one of my other friends were standing there bullshitting and I was sitting there getting up the courage to do it. When I finally did it was like ripping off a bandaid. The best part is that my best friend was the least surprised of everyone I told and that he pretty much already knew. He said that he figured that I had messed around a gay friend of mine a long time ago anyway. I didn't but it did come close one night way back, haha.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

So my father in law quit drinking a dirty thirty a day cold turkey last week and hasn't had a sip since

he hasn't dropped dead nor had the DTs and we've been making sure the booze in the house doesn't go missing and that he doesn't have a stash anywhere and everything checks out

it's a Christmas loving Miracle, my mother in law was literally about to serve him last week and she and my wife walked in the door to find him dumping beer down the drain and swearing off booze for good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

I stop taking Allegra D for 2 days and I am back to feeling like death. I don't get it.

• Locked thread