Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Complaining about expansion being too slow is for the games thread where everyone watched captain Andy fabricate his way across Britain for 150 years.

Wait he played ck2 and was fabricating as his only way of expansion?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Complaining about expansion being too slow is for the games thread where everyone watched captain Andy fabricate his way across Britain for 150 years.

That's like, every other CK2 thread poster. Hey guys, check out my epic progress; started in 769 as a Mongol Jain Republic and it's 1300 and I finally formed Britannia! :peanut:

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

the ck2 thread is the worst of the 3 games threads which is saying something

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

GreyPowerVan posted:

Wait he played ck2 and was fabricating as his only way of expansion?

You can look in the lp archive I guess if its there.

Edit: its not which is a shame because iirc I shat all over the game as Pisa doing the Republican tutorial.

Knuc U Kinte fucked around with this message at 09:59 on Dec 9, 2015

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade
Speaking of the Games threads, check out this pro advice given to someone who wants to learn EU4:

Koramei posted:

e: other advice if you're not the type to get reliant on them: cheat. pick a small power and use console commands. throw yourself into coalition wars and massive overextension, see what the disasters do

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

frankenfreak posted:

Speaking of the Games threads, check out this pro advice given to someone who wants to learn EU4:
this dude has given this sage piece of advice more than once (or maybe it's a different dude which is even more stupid)

does anyone have input on this btw, should i start playing or wait for a patch

BBJoey posted:

have the post-dlc bugs been fixed yet?

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
Adding coalitions to CK2 is pretty dumb, but with the extremely bastardized diplomacy I don't see how else they'd be able to model feudal lords and poo poo banding together to deal with expansionist realms. Coalitions should probably be exclusive to religious or culture groups, though.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

BBJoey posted:

this dude has given this sage piece of advice more than once (or maybe it's a different dude which is even more stupid)

does anyone have input on this btw, should i start playing or wait for a patch

There's a weird bug with the heir education event but I've only gotten that once ever anyway. I bet they'll gently caress with the balance of the patch in like a week though.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Buschmaki posted:

Adding coalitions to CK2 is pretty dumb, but with the extremely bastardized diplomacy I don't see how else they'd be able to model feudal lords and poo poo banding together to deal with expansionist realms. Coalitions should probably be exclusive to religious or culture groups, though.

Yeah I wish they would like, add actual diplomacy instead. It's a half baked idea IMO.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Why not just revamp the crusade system to proc against huge guys anyway? It's what happened after the Seljuks got a shitton of land

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

Why not just revamp the crusade system to proc against huge guys anyway? It's what happened after the Seljuks got a shitton of land

improving an already existing system instead of just bolting a new one on to the bloated mess that is 2015 ck2? hmmm, how about no pal.

did groogy ever get to add the curia system to the norse religion or did even the retards who run ck2 realise that was a loving terrible idea

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

not to defend groogy but i think that was just for a mod

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
CK2 is such a mess and it's a shame.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

StashAugustine posted:

i don't know whether that's better or worse. even wiz stopped modding after he got hired by paradox.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

StashAugustine posted:

It was a mod he was making in his spare time, that he said he wanted to push to vanilla. IIRC anyway.

CK2 is really good after Horse Lords but they're continuing the fine tradition of bolting new poo poo on instead of improving old stuff with this next DLC. Did you guys see the post about what they're doing to alliances BTW. They aren't automatic with being a dynasty member or having marriage ties... Now you have to proactively ask someone to form an alliance with you, but I guarantee there's going to be a bunch of obtuse ---- modifiers like every other diplo option.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010

Larry Parrish posted:

It was a mod he was making in his spare time, that he said he wanted to push to vanilla. IIRC anyway.

CK2 is really good after Horse Lords but they're continuing the fine tradition of bolting new poo poo on instead of improving old stuff with this next DLC. Did you guys see the post about what they're doing to alliances BTW. They aren't automatic with being a dynasty member or having marriage ties... Now you have to proactively ask someone to form an alliance with you, but I guarantee there's going to be a bunch of obtuse ---- modifiers like every other diplo option.

----- I am a King!

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Oh yeah I forgot. You can't form alliances with just anyone, only with dynasty members and people you have marriage ties to. So it's exactly the same as before, except instead of sometimes denying a 0 prestige call to arms, the AI will just refuse to form an alliance.

Rannos22
Mar 30, 2011

Everything's the same as it always is.

I enjoy that disagreeing with the devs on the official forums is against the rules so the only way rational people have to show they don't like this poo poo-rear end idea out of Groogy's rear end in a top hat is that red X.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Larry Parrish posted:

Oh yeah I forgot. You can't form alliances with just anyone, only with dynasty members and people you have marriage ties to. So it's exactly the same as before, except instead of sometimes denying a 0 prestige call to arms, the AI will just refuse to form an alliance.
so they're just removing the stuff that makes ck2 unique and instead throwing a bunch of eu3 mechanics in. cooool

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
Bleh.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
I'm sure there's a smart and good way to integrate eu mechanics into ck2 but they haven't done it yet

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
Playing Byz with the new patch is much more interesting to start. Can't blockade the Bosphorus anymore.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Average Bear posted:

Playing Byz with the new patch is much more interesting to start. Can't blockade the Bosphorus anymore.

I like the idea of that change but I think it's kinda dumb... Would be cooler if you could stop fleet movement past straits or canals if you controlled the provinces. Or if you only blocked army movement at 100%, it's just bonus attrition otherwise.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
Actually the start is infuriating I changed my mind. Poland's AI is abyssmal and will send small stacks to be wiped rather than together. Every one of your potential allies gets into a stupid war, and for some reason your troops are made of tissue paper.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

I think one of the less appreciated CK mechanics is how custom naming your heirs makes it likely o have NPCs name their children with the same name if you get a good prestige. I noticed that after noticing there were three different counts and courtiers called "Faglord" on my realm.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Jarl Erik Faglordsson

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Haha.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I think one of the less appreciated CK mechanics is how custom naming your heirs makes it likely o have NPCs name their children with the same name if you get a good prestige. I noticed that after noticing there were three different counts and courtiers called "Faglord" on my realm.

Lol

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off
I always thought it was just that characters would name their children after their ancestors, not that it was a prestige thing or w/e.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
Heirs of Faglord

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

PleasingFungus posted:

I always thought it was just that characters would name their children after their ancestors, not that it was a prestige thing or w/e.

I'm not sure but in my Britannia game I had a ton of nephews and grand-nephews, etc., named after my guy who won the Invasion of Scotland, way more than any of the less-accomplished rulers. Maybe it's just a coincidence, though.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
Distant WOrlds: is it good?

DICKHEAD
Jul 29, 2003

the ck2 devs are retarded

DICKHEAD
Jul 29, 2003

at least theyre all busy doing that rather than loving up eu4 or hoi or even stellaris. though with my luck they'll announce vicky 3 as headed by them

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Never ceases to amaze me.

extremely steampunk
Sep 11, 2001

Larry Parrish posted:

I understand how Paradox wants to make painting the map more of a challenge with each DLC but it seems like they are just adding things that make it more gamey than rather than challenging. It's been like that with a lot of the patches but it seems even moreso with the alliance mechanic.

It will end up still being just as easy to blob across the map as long as you know how to abuse the mechanic and have the patience for a little extra micromanagement

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Jerkops posted:

I understand how Paradox wants to make painting the map more of a challenge with each DLC but it seems like they are just adding things that make it more gamey than rather than challenging. It's been like that with a lot of the patches but it seems even moreso with the alliance mechanic.

It will end up still being just as easy to blob across the map as long as you know how to abuse the mechanic and have the patience for a little extra micromanagement

My favorite is how just holding every title yourself is still the easiest way to WC and they keep making the demesne limit/wrong holding type penalty more and more brutal every patch instead of like, giving you a reason to have vassals other than you want to have fun instead of win

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

why don't they just boost vassals or something

you know the core mechanic of the game

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009