Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Zaphod42 posted:

For a reminder, here's what I actually said.

If you read those words and come out with "everybody hated FF7" I honestly don't know what the hell to say to you.

You've been arguing with your own strawman so much you don't even remember what I said.

I linked to your quote where you literally, as in using the words, said "a lot of people did hate it."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I remember the guy who did reviews for Digitizer hated FF7 so I guess everyone did.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

So I just saw that FFVI is coming to Steam in a few days, but it looks like it's another lovely mobile game version. Is there any reason to be excited at all about it? Like I remember some people saying the port of V was showing that SE was learning from their mistakes, but everything I saw of that game made it look really ugly and stuttery.

Why couldn't they just pull a Secret of Monkey Island and give people an option to switch between the classic and mobile graphics :sigh:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

ImpAtom posted:

I linked to your quote where you literally, as in using the words, said "a lot of people did hate it."

Yes "it" being the combat system by the time you were at the end of the game, not the game itself. Context matters. :v: You don't get to just play mad-libs with pronouns.

And I also explicitly pointed out that it wasn't everybody, so suggesting that I said it was universally panned as a whole is flat out horseshit and you know it.

You've very clearly never given a poo poo about my real opinion you just wanna win the internet argument, so good for you, lets just drop it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

So I just saw that FFVI is coming to Steam in a few days, but it looks like it's another lovely mobile game version. Is there any reason to be excited at all about it? Like I remember some people saying the port of V was showing that SE was learning from their mistakes, but everything I saw of that game made it look really ugly and stuttery.

Why couldn't they just pull a Secret of Monkey Island and give people an option to switch between the classic and mobile graphics :sigh:

It is, unless they gently caress it up, a perfectly acceptable but ugly port. It has a few improvements over the original version (like a fix to Cyan) as well as the fixes to the GBA version like Evade working. There were typos in the original release but they have been fixed.

Zaphod42 posted:

You've very clearly never given a poo poo about my real opinion you just wanna win the internet argument, so good for you, lets just drop it.

This entire conversation was about the idea that FF7 was considered a step back from FF6 so ... okay? :psyduck:

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

So I just saw that FFVI is coming to Steam in a few days, but it looks like it's another lovely mobile game version. Is there any reason to be excited at all about it?

You can input other character's commands while Cyan's Bushido gauge charges! :v:

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

ImpAtom posted:

This entire conversation was about the idea that FF7 was considered a step back from FF6 so ... okay? :psyduck:

English isn't his natural language, you'll have to excuse him.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

So I just saw that FFVI is coming to Steam in a few days, but it looks like it's another lovely mobile game version. Is there any reason to be excited at all about it?

Someone might mod the original graphics and UI in eventually I guess.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Tae posted:

English isn't his natural language, you'll have to excuse him.

Oh jeez I feel like a dick now. :smith:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

ImpAtom posted:

Oh jeez I feel like a dick now. :smith:

Don't worry, he's the one being a dick. English is my first language.

(Course you weren't much better a few minutes ago)

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

:laffo:

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Japanese is my first language because it is the language that crafted Lightning-sama.

English is the only one I speak though.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Japanese is my first language because it is the language that crafted Lightning-sama.

English is the only one I speak though.

I'm sorry but her true name is Eclaire and so you must master French.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Eclair, actually!!!

And only to her closest friends. (Toriyama)

Shaquin
May 12, 2007

Any tips for whom to place with which jobs for FF12 ZJS? Friend recently got me on 14 which has me on an ivalice style kick

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Wasn't her name Claire in english?

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
I'm replaying FFX atm and if any game is the game that set this series on a collision course with disaster it's FFX. Which is weird, because it's also still a great game unto itself. You know how if a movie or game or something is a janky, stupid piece of poo poo but is a lot of fun or creative or something people will call it a "good bad" thing? I think maybe FFX is a "bad good game".

Please be nice to FFVII, and my friend Cloud.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Ich bin ein Eclaire

Zombies' Downfall posted:

I'm replaying FFX atm and if any game is the game that set this series on a collision course with disaster it's FFX. Which is weird, because it's also still a great game unto itself. You know how if a movie or game or something is a janky, stupid piece of poo poo but is a lot of fun or creative or something people will call it a "good bad" thing? I think maybe FFX is a "bad good game".

Please be nice to FFVII, and my friend Cloud.

Nah Spirits Within was the disaster course, FFX was how they recouped losses after it :cheeky:

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Zaphod42 posted:

Nah Spirits Within was the disaster course, FFX was how they recouped losses after it :cheeky:

Somehow I don't think that worked out.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

They both came out the same year and were developed in tandem anyway.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

They real return to form after the Spirits Within was Drakengard. :colbert:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

They both came out the same year and were developed in tandem anyway.

Huh, I remember reading that they used the tech from Spirits Within in order to make FFX (hence its focus on voice acting) to recoup the losses from Spirits' Within's cost and its bombing.

But you're right, they came out so close together that can't really be true. Unless they spent years on Spirits Within and realized it was bombing along the way or something. (Although FFX also took years so...)

Now I'm trying to remember where I read that. Probably like lovely IGN or something.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I played Drakengard before it was cool :c00l:

Electromax
May 6, 2007
FF7 is there with Mario 64 and MGS1 as my holy trinity of my teenage videogame golden years, and I've played it to completion probably 10 times since.

But I agree with those about the ATB system not being ideal. It normalized everyone (especially following 6) so instead of waiting for Yuffie's turn to come up to steal stuff, I would be thinking "ok wait who did I give this Steal materia to..." I liked that as a kid so I could use my bro party of Cloud/Cid/Red and still do everything, but nowadays I realize I've barely used Cait, Yuffie or Vincent ever.

The materia combos were a great idea and I think the action system could do some really neat things with it- on PS1 after a certain point you could set up 4x cut + Mug and all that stuff and simple Attack became the optimal command, which is kind of lame. No point to lean on Fire 3 when your sword already does 9999 every time on Disc 2. As someone who played all the PS1 RPGs I think now it's easier to make a memorable action system vs. another ATB system. Like, Bravely Default was cool, but aside from the brave/default stuff the strategies are the same as they've been since FF4 or before. Dedicated healer with potions or spells who bides time because their attack sucks. Status effects for the bosses who are weak to them, status prevention if the boss uses it. Slow and Haste. We all know how turn-based RPGs work and where their ceiling is. If they were going back to that system, I'd want to see something really off-the-wall like Chrono Cross color system mixed with Mother 3's rhythm combat and Undertale's dodging or something.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
It's strange to think that VIII, IX, and X (and maybe XI) were all in some stage of development at the same time, circa 1999.

Square used to be very productive.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

HD DAD posted:

It's strange to think that VIII, IX, and X (and maybe XI) were all in some stage of development at the same time, circa 1999.

Square used to be very productive.

As opposed to KH3, FF15, FF7r, Star Ocean, Nier Automata, and the two Eidos games currently in production?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Well they have about 30 games on the go now too, just depends when we actually see any of them.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Electromax posted:

But I agree with those about the ATB system not being ideal. It normalized everyone (especially following 6) so instead of waiting for Yuffie's turn to come up to steal stuff, I would be thinking "ok wait who did I give this Steal materia to..."

Yeah, see, I still like this. I'd much rather have a mostly standardized party with some slight stat differences than pulling a Tales or something and always having to use a character I hate because they provide some important utility.

I do feel like I'm the only person who used and still uses Yuffie though.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

Yeah, see, I still like this. I'd much rather have a mostly standardized party with some slight stat differences than pulling a Tales or something and always having to use a character I hate because they provide some important utility.

I do feel like I'm the only person who used and still uses Yuffie though.

I always used Yuffie, mostly because I liked Doom of the Living and because it felt wrong using Steal with anyone else (also I always make a bee-line for Conformer so I can turn enemies into a bunch of useless poo poo that I never use). Usually I ran Cloud, Yuffie, and either Cid or Barret - basically it always comes down to "who has the best limit breaks" which means I almost never used Cait, Vincent, Red, or Tifa outside of the forced parts.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

I'd much rather see the middle ground where you can have super specialized characters, but choose who is that role, kinda like FFX's international sphere grid or FF12's Zodiac job system. I don't like systems where the difference is basically a different animation for the same big numbers.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Lets talk about FF characters you never use

I pretty much never used Kimahri, for some reason his weird mix of lancer/bluemage/ronso just didn't jive with me. Not when I could have dudes like Auron and Wakka in my party.

And I definitely never used Selphie like at all.

I did use Yuffie but sparingly.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
Kimahri is actually super loving great because you can grab Steal and Use super fast then rush him down Auron's path and get swole as gently caress grenade tosser.

Woozy
Jan 3, 2006
Even in the original FFVII there was nothing stopping you from using the free-form system to just setup the characters as whatever archtype you though fit best and sticking with it. I played through the game a while back and had a lot of fun using certain materia exclusively with certain characters and keeping their loadouts relatively stable throughout the whole game.

Basically I'm going to be really mad when the new materia system turns out to be a d-pad ability selector and a talent tree.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Kimahri is actually super loving great because you can grab Steal and Use super fast then rush him down Auron's path and get swole as gently caress grenade tosser.

I know, which is why I said he doesn't jive with me instead of saying he's bad. :cheeky:

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I always used Yuffie, mostly because I liked Doom of the Living and because it felt wrong using Steal with anyone else (also I always make a bee-line for Conformer so I can turn enemies into a bunch of useless poo poo that I never use). Usually I ran Cloud, Yuffie, and either Cid or Barret - basically it always comes down to "who has the best limit breaks" which means I almost never used Cait, Vincent, Red, or Tifa outside of the forced parts.

Tifa's limit break is the best though because you get to use all of them in one go.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Zaphod42 posted:

I know, which is why I said he doesn't jive with me instead of saying he's bad. :cheeky:

I was just talking about how cool Catman Jones was dude, no need to break out the smileys to try and get a jab in.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Kimahri isn't bad, the thing is that he just doesn't have a niche; for example, unless you do some dramatic messing with peoples' position on the grid early on you're always going to "need" Wakka to oneshot fliers reliably, or Lulu to inflict elemental damage until you hit the endgame. But there's rarely a reason to explicitly swap Kimahri in.

One weird thing about Kimahri I noticed this playthrough is that you can get a +10% Strength, Piercing spear really early, actually before you get Auron, which handily subverts Auron's niche because all it is is a combination of his Strength and Piercing weaponry that enables him to blast tank enemies. Of course, Kimahri isn't as strong, but it seems like you could do what ZenMaster is saying and totally replace Auron with Kimahri.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

I always used Kimy as a second thief, that has utility as a second anti-armor dude that can also fight long-range with Lanceot. Certainly used him more in the late game than Lulu who became incredibly useless with her slow speed and awful endgame sphere grid set-up.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

I was just talking about how cool Catman Jones was dude, no need to break out the smileys to try and get a jab in.

I was just clarifying, not trying to sneak in a jab. Not everything is about internet points. If anything the smiley was meant to show it was all in good fun, not meant in a hostile way at all.

Jesus this thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Kimahri is how blue mages should operate imo.