Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

This is what meat is supposed to be like, dingus

Entropic posted:

You can always just wear the X-01 without a helmet with shades and a chef's hat.

I always keep my helmet off because otherwise the dialogues turn bad.

Makes me wish that the helmet could be clamped at your waist instead while talking to people.

The only problem with not wearing a helmet is that you have no pipboy light in power armour.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Zephyrine posted:

Makes me wish that the helmet could be clamped at your waist instead while talking to people.

The only problem with not wearing a helmet is that you have no pipboy light in power armour.

Mining helmet.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
Every gun is good and effective because it is not a difficult game. dps lol

GET MY BELT SON
Sep 26, 2007

stupid question here

if I have a .45 rifle that does 41 damage but has a special perk of 25% more damage does it do more than the 41 damage or is the 41 including the 25% damage?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Zigmidge posted:

Every gun is good and effective because it is not a difficult game. dps lol

There's no kill like overkill.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

GET MY BELT SON posted:

stupid question here

if I have a .45 rifle that does 41 damage but has a special perk of 25% more damage does it do more than the 41 damage or is the 41 including the 25% damage?

It's really inconsistent across perks whether or how they show up in stats. The easiest way to figure out is to make an identical but un-perked version of the same gun with all the same mods and compare the two.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Cojawfee posted:

Is there any way to store food that allows me to use it for crafting but prevents every rear end in a top hat in the place eating it all?

throw it in a box next to the oven, pull it out when you craft, put it back when you're done.

Friar Zucchini posted:

each faction has a single location you can pick to build it and that faction is the one that gets you into the Institute

This isn't strictly true, the Railroad wanted me to make it at the safehouse but Tom said you could build it anywhere if you wanted. I built it at the castle and he and Dez showed up there to deal with the quest. I don't know about the BoS version.

mackintosh
Aug 18, 2007

Semper Fidelis Poloniae
Walking into Railroad HQ in a fully decked out X-01, turning on red tactical lights and proceeding to mow down everyone with a an explosive minigun has gone a long way towards salvaging this storyline for me.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I did it with the Minutemen and they don't seem to care where you put it.

nosl
Jan 17, 2015

CHIM, bitch!

Zephyrine posted:

I take it off for dialogue. While I enjoy the retro Enclave helmet with the eye-lights on during VATS kill sequences, I really enjoy seeing a person under there. My character's face is also really nice this time around, one of my firsts for a Bethesda game really.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Does the "tactical" in "red tactical headlamp" actually mean anything gameplay-wise or is it just a red headlamp?

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil

Entropic posted:

Does the "tactical" in "red tactical headlamp" actually mean anything gameplay-wise or is it just a red headlamp?

It's just a red headlamp.

BAILOUT MCQUACK!
Nov 14, 2005

Marco! Yeaaah...
Since the game doesn't tell you what settlers have found through a scavenging station since you last were at the settlement, does anyone know if it really helps out or adds up?

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

mackintosh posted:

Walking into Railroad HQ in a fully decked out X-01, turning on red tactical lights and proceeding to mow down everyone with a an explosive minigun has gone a long way towards salvaging this storyline for me.

You're a loving monster.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Goonface.jpg

mackintosh
Aug 18, 2007

Semper Fidelis Poloniae

FrankieGoes posted:

You're a loving monster.

They're stealing my grandchildren :colbert:

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

mackintosh posted:

I shunned those dicks early on, ever since that lady gave me an ultimatum. You don't give ME an ultimatum.

One thing I would love to see in this game is the ability to say random poo poo to people as you walk by them, or at least respond to their insolent comments. In Vault 81, those dickhead cops keep asking me about my PipBoy or telling me to keep my nose clean. The Combat Rifle of Damocles is hanging over them, and they have no idea.

I would shoot those idiots in the face for daring to bring up the idea that I might shoot someone in the face.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

mackintosh posted:

They're stealing my grandchildren :colbert:

back to the synth mines with you, grandkids!

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

captainOrbital posted:

I shunned those dicks early on, ever since that lady gave me an ultimatum. You don't give ME an ultimatum.

One thing I would love to see in this game is the ability to say random poo poo to people as you walk by them, or at least respond to their insolent comments. In Vault 81, those dickhead cops keep asking me about my PipBoy or telling me to keep my nose clean. The Combat Rifle of Damocles is hanging over them, and they have no idea.

I would shoot those idiots in the face for daring to bring up the idea that I might shoot someone in the face.

rping a psychopath

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

I just wish the assholes in sanctuary would stop hassling me about helping their loving junkie grandma OD on crack. It's what she wanted, you tits, have some respect for her wishes.

mackintosh
Aug 18, 2007

Semper Fidelis Poloniae

captainOrbital posted:

drat right. She should have listened to her gut feeling and not trusted a practiced liar. How ironic. I'll just outright Joshua Graham her in my next playthrough.

MONKEY TRASH!
Jan 8, 2006

i'm doing pistols and stuff does anyone know where i can get cool pistols thanks. Kellogg's gun is OK, i liked it more when i renamed it 'Connie' after his real name

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

JawKnee posted:

rping a psychopath

I'm a pacifist in videogames until someone hassles me. I can't count the number of times I've been killed in GTA games because I walked too close to a pedestrian and they said something to me that sparked an inevitable police standoff/government false flag operation.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

captainOrbital posted:

I'm a pacifist in videogames until someone hassles me. I can't count the number of times I've been killed in GTA games because I walked too close to a pedestrian and they said something to me that sparked an inevitable police standoff/government false flag operation.

I'm getting real close to just letting fly when I hear the particularly snotty settler lines now.

No, nameless dirt-farming peasant, I will not eat because I work, I will eat because I founded this drat place and routinely come and safeguard it from rocket-wielding hulks.

Also speaking of the nameless moisture farmers inhabiting most of your places, I'm looking forward to the day when we get a mod that just runs a random namegen thing on your settlers, so you can get at least some extra little level of attachment to some of your places. That combined with some kind of a settlement ledger on who lives here what work they do? I'd probably like messing around with settlement stuff a ton more then.

Yardbomb fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Dec 11, 2015

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

mackintosh posted:

Walking into Railroad HQ in a fully decked out X-01, turning on red tactical lights and proceeding to mow down everyone with a an explosive minigun
This is pretty much the correct way to do everything in this game. Gatling lasers are too easy with high DPS, so the minigun being pretty much worthless makes it worth the effort, and apart from that the answer is almost always "when in doubt, assume it needs to be dead before you can proceed."

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
Disgaea random name generator would be great for settlers. Over here we have DeathSatan tending crops, and Nicholas Gage running a scrap shop.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Yeah, it'd be nice if "I know some folks that would like to live there" weren't just nameless settlers and actually had like families move in. Outpost Xenonia suddenly becomes the Jones Farm

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
Minigun could really use a boost though. I checked one out at a weapons bench today that did 11 damage per shot with a normal barrel. The tri-barrel option cut the fire rate by 2/3 in exchange for increasing the damage per shot to....12. Maybe they scale up better with the heavy guns perk but I get so much more done with semi-auto combat rifles they aren't worth much beyond cool factor.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

Minigun could really use a boost though. I checked one out at a weapons bench today that did 11 damage per shot with a normal barrel. The tri-barrel option cut the fire rate by 2/3 in exchange for increasing the damage per shot to....12. Maybe they scale up better with the heavy guns perk but I get so much more done with semi-auto combat rifles they aren't worth much beyond cool factor.
You'd think miniguns would have armor penetration to compensate for that, but no

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

The minigun, even with points in the heavy weapons perk, is pretty much just not worth it unless you roll a super badass legendary with bleed/explosive rounds or similar.

When you do get an explosive minigun though, slap on power armor and you're now basically playing Fallout: Space Marine

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

captainOrbital posted:

I don't know how many times I reloaded and shot that jerk scientist at Project Purity in the face after he lipped off in Fallout 3.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
Kneecapping minigun is pretty funny for niche boss situations though. It hits so quickly you're guaranteed to proc the effect almost instantly. Took mine to the Castle and crippled every last mire lurk and the queen without taking a hit.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

You'd think miniguns would have armor penetration to compensate for that, but no

I will not stop trumpeting how I want NV's DT and ammo system back.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
The minigun is a really iconic weapon but in this game you get it about the same time you are getting pipe pistols so I'm not really surprised it's a low end weapon. I think it just takes a while to get over that.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
That's how the ap mods balance the armor ignoring bonus, right? Lower damage all the time for better damage depending on how much armor the enemy had to ignore. Or something. Honestly I never found a way to figure out in game if that helps or not beyond searching out mirelurks or something and testing otherwise identical weapons, and I really don't care that much to try.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Speaking of weapon tiers, is there any single-shot rifle better than a modded sniper rifle? I've been plinking people to death with one refit to fire junk .38 rounds, and it's very efficient but feels kinda underwhelming.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Is it safe keeping junk in the public Diamond City workshops, or will it disappear eventually?

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

Omi no Kami posted:

Speaking of weapon tiers, is there any single-shot rifle better than a modded sniper rifle? I've been plinking people to death with one refit to fire junk .38 rounds, and it's very efficient but feels kinda underwhelming.

Gauss Rifle, but it doesn't start spawning until the late 20s~30s

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Omi no Kami posted:

Single shot chambered assault and combat rifles are really excellent, and with a two-step one you will outclass anything but a two-step or explosive guass rifle that I've found. The small drop in top damage balances out with being able to dump 20-80 rounds into something's chest as it comes at you, and when you've got 4600 5.56 rounds, it doesn't matter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

I will not stop trumpeting how I want NV's DT and ammo system back.

More ammo or ammo mods would be cool but I don't think there was ever a single point in NV where DT ever mattered.

• Locked thread