Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tactical Lesbian
Mar 31, 2012

BlackMK4 posted:

Haha, seriously, this is a really bad idea.

The KTM? Probably. Also, they want 7k flat for it, apparently it's the dealership ~owner's bike~. It's tempting but I dunno. Might just go with the sensible choice: the CRF. Even if it has no power and weighs like 60lbs more than the KTM.

Although, I did take it off pavement and that weak power was definitely more than enough to get the wheel spinning easily.

e: and all the money I save on the Honda can be spent on better gear.

Tactical Lesbian fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Dec 9, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Tactical Lesbian posted:

The KTM? Probably. Also, they want 7k flat for it, apparently it's the dealership ~owner's bike~. It's tempting but I dunno. Might just go with the sensible choice: the CRF. Even if it has no power and weighs like 60lbs more than the KTM.

No, definiely. That KTM is a monster, and a mountain of a motorcycle. The difference between a CRF250L and a KTM 530 is like a Ninja 500 to a ZX10R

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Option 1) Please do not buy a 500XCW as your first dirt bike.

Option 2) Please buy it and put up the gopro of your inevitable death.

Tactical Lesbian
Mar 31, 2012

Understood, CRF250L it is. Thanks dudes!

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
crf250l is pretty great imo

def needs new gears from the factory but otherwise a pretty great machine

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

clutchpuck posted:

in its natural habitat

Best (and relatively inexpensive) motorcycle accessory.

If your country didn't have that weird Brokeback Mountain "I am a rugged masculine manly man and therefore need a pickup truck" thing going on you'd be able to pick these things up for about the price of a new set of tyres:

Room for a bike or two, all your tools, couple of sleeping bags, and all the bottles of cider and jazz mags a man could ever need.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

It's not our fault. The reason the USA doesn't have light trucks is because you guys (I am assuming you're in Europe) put a trade tariff on chickens back in the 1960s. Obviously.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicken_tax

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

goddamnedtwisto posted:

If your country didn't have that weird Brokeback Mountain "I am a rugged masculine manly man and therefore need a pickup truck" thing going on you'd be able to pick these things up for about the price of a new set of tyres:

Room for a bike or two, all your tools, couple of sleeping bags, and all the bottles of cider and jazz mags a man could ever need.

:colbert:

http://imgur.com/a/j0eMh

Bike for scale

http://imgur.com/a/1NRza

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Sagebrush posted:

It's not our fault. The reason the USA doesn't have light trucks is because you guys (I am assuming you're in Europe) put a trade tariff on chickens back in the 1960s. Obviously.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicken_tax

quote:

As an unintended consequence several importers of light trucks have circumvented the tariff via loopholes—including Ford (ostensibly a company the tax was designed to protect), which imports the Transit Connect light trucks as "passenger vehicles" to the U.S. from Turkey and immediately strips and shreds portions of their interiors, such as installed rear seats, in a warehouse outside Baltimore.[1]

Holy poo poo. I love the idea that someone, somewhere probably got a bonus for coming up with that idea.

(Why shred the seats? Why not send them back and bolt them into the next Transit coming over?)

Not seeing any cider or jazz mags, useless.

(I've just remembered that cider and (probably) jazz mags mean something different over there. Don't care.)

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

goddamnedtwisto posted:

(Why shred the seats? Why not send them back and bolt them into the next Transit coming over?)

Probably cheaper to shred them and sell what they can as scrap than to ship them back to Turkey.

Anyway, I'd imagine that these seats are designed to be the cheapest possible things that qualify for the name, made out of stamped aluminum foil and whatever that terrible cloth is that they use in airline pillows.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Hands down most comfortable looking guy at the last td was the CR that came with a 90s pasenger van with the seats removed. Had like a 2 ft thick air mattress in the back at night, and carried his track bike and pit bike + tools and stands no problem.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Your post line wrapped right after "jazz" on my phone and my brain filled in "jazz bands" before I scrolled down. :sax:

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

M42 posted:

Hands down most comfortable looking guy at the last td was the CR that came with a 90s pasenger van with the seats removed. Had like a 2 ft thick air mattress in the back at night, and carried his track bike and pit bike + tools and stands no problem.

I had a WINEBERRY (plum purple) 94 Dodge Caravan high top with gold pinstripes. When you removed the seats you had a perfect place to hook your ratchet straps.
It also had a TV and VCR :smug:
I was really cool in high school.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

M42 posted:

Recently I've been looking at high top cargo vans with the idea I could put a bed in over the bikes with the use of a few frame pieces and plywood. Anyone seen something like this? Is the high roof actually high enough to fit a bed over a motorcycle? Otherwise I was looking at the long models and thinking of putting the bed in front of a bike or two that are sideways. Great long distance vehicle and not taking anything out when we sleep is what I'm shooting for.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Cargo Van + air mattress is pretty hard to beat. Could be had for under a grand. Unlike a Toyota light truck, that even when perforated with rust, sells for thousands of dollars for some retarded reason. For every light truck, there is a full size truck/van for 1/3 of the price out there. They're only 1-2' longer and do everything better.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Not sure I agree, a 2wd 4-banger Ranger is about as emasculating a truck as you can drive. Mine's worth about a 'Stich, gets better gas mileage than my car. In fact I am pretty over my car and might go back to daily driving the truck.

You can get an older Econoline or Ram commercial van for peanuts too if you're looking for a cargo van around here.

I live in Kashyyyk too so I need to be able to haul wookie treehouses to the dump after wind storms and it's pretty practical to throw all that in the box and net them down.

clutchpuck fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Dec 9, 2015

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

El Jebus posted:

Recently I've been looking at high top cargo vans with the idea I could put a bed in over the bikes with the use of a few frame pieces and plywood. Anyone seen something like this? Is the high roof actually high enough to fit a bed over a motorcycle? Otherwise I was looking at the long models and thinking of putting the bed in front of a bike or two that are sideways. Great long distance vehicle and not taking anything out when we sleep is what I'm shooting for.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Alternatively, hammocks. Not even joking, some camping places even sell hammocks with those flat discs that go into the keyhole-shaped mounting points you get in vans (man my jargon game is off today)

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

El Jebus posted:

Recently I've been looking at high top cargo vans with the idea I could put a bed in over the bikes with the use of a few frame pieces and plywood. Anyone seen something like this?

There are dedicated campers that look like modified transit vans where the top section lifts up on struts when parked to give you enough room to bunk.

Like this thing, though I'm certain I've seen ones that were actual transits:

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
Cyclecruza, a motovlogger on youtube has an insanely awesome stealth cargo van setup and it fits his bike:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iUeTRfTBQgY

He's got a whole build series on it, really awesome stuff.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Renaissance Robot posted:

There are dedicated campers that look like modified transit vans where the top section lifts up on struts when parked to give you enough room to bunk.

Like this thing, though I'm certain I've seen ones that were actual transits:

High-top transits are already considerably taller than that - that sort of accordion top is pretty common on smaller van-based campers though.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Alternatively, hammocks. Not even joking, some camping places even sell hammocks with those flat discs that go into the keyhole-shaped mounting points you get in vans (man my jargon game is off today)

Yeah hammocks seems to be the way to go.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
God drat I hate you guys.

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/cto/5279893661.html

lol at cyber monday sale

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Buy it and put the ghostbusters siren in it :ghost:

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

Voltage posted:

Cyclecruza, a motovlogger on youtube has an insanely awesome stealth cargo van setup and it fits his bike:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iUeTRfTBQgY

He's got a whole build series on it, really awesome stuff.

Yeah, that setup is cool. Hadn't seen that before and is giving me lots of ideas. One van idea I saw recently was from Craigslist and it seemed pretty sweet. Room for bikes and room for a bed/couch, but unlike the video above, my wife can still join me. Bed doesn't have to be a king but we both need to fit.

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/lac/cto/5330775903.html

I don't need to bring two motorcycles and a bicycle so I'm thinking if it goes in and then is parked sideways, I can have a pretty comfortable spot in the middle.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

If it was just me, I'd be down with the hammock. Used my brothers camping hammock a few times and loved it.

Being able to raise and lower the bed would be awesome, especially if there was room for the bike to be sideways in the rear.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
My dad did this. he bought a Mercedes/Dodge Sprinter van and put an extra row of passenger seats up front and then a storage shelf in the back, still has room for 2 bikes too.

Turbo Diesel with 4x4 wheels is pretty fun to get to the dirt :D

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
I have a standard V6 1500 Express and even with tool shelves, we've transported 2 motorcycles, 6 bicycles and enough camping gear for 6 people. Also a 32" TV, solar panels and a generator. Enough space inside for a full size air mattress, but we slept in tents because camping. Vans rock

Ideal Paradigm
Aug 7, 2005
Trouble at the old mill
Is $4000 a fair price for a 2013 CBR500R that is in mint condition with 12000 miles? Maintenance looks like it was done well, but I haven't seen the bike in person yet.

Edit: I misread, it's 16000 miles and I forgot to add that the bike has ABS.

Ideal Paradigm fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Dec 12, 2015

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Pay attention to wear items and big service intervals. Tires may or may not last 12k but you probably don't want them much longer past that, the chain is probably on the last 1/4 of its life too.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Can you even find one for less than that, regardless of condition?

Tactical Lesbian
Mar 31, 2012

Sealed the deal on the 2014 CRF250L, 4200 otd and got them to throw in some Cycra Probend handguards~
Picking it up on the 22nd. A nice Christmas present! :woop:

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

Tactical Lesbian posted:

Sealed the deal on the 2014 CRF250L, 4200 otd and got them to throw in some Cycra Probend handguards~

Nice :toot:

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Tactical Lesbian posted:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2895016

HAMAS HATE BOAT
Jun 5, 2010
I'm looking for a midsized adventure bike, something highway capable, dualsport-touring that I can ride a few hours or days out to trails and forest service roads and ORV areas. Weekend and maybe occasional weeklong motocamping trips around WA and the PNW, building up to backcountry discovery routes, maybe an alaska trip. Tierra Del Fuego and Magadan are probably a bit outside my reasonable range expectation at this point. Not wanting a glass-jawed 600 lb all-electronic SUV on 2 wheels for accountants. My daily driver is a ninja 650 with near 30k mi so I have commuting and sport touring trips taken care of, no plans to get rid of it. I'm 5'10, 175, 30" inseam, FWIW. Any bike purchased under this category MAY be subjected to consideration for reversible supermoto conversion because supermoto. I have not done offroad riding (successfully), just street up to now.

Right now the bike that seems to fit the bill the best is the DR650. It's dead simple, well documented, apparently really reliable once you take care of the *just suzuki things* that will explode the engine. I sat on one (that had the suzuki lowered seat) and was amazed at how well the bike fit. It can probably be repaired by banging rocks on stuff that isnt working. One problem is that its apparently the best bike in the world and I don't know if i'm man enough.

I had been cross-shopping with the KTM 690 but that costs $rape, may not actually exist anywhere outside epic videos, and I'm concerned about the amount of power for a new dual sport rider. The Husqy 701 isn't out yet and MAY show up around April, but they're saying that's coming as a supermoto (not that there's ANYTHING wrong with that) and possibly not the enduro that's been seen in video.
A friend (with a KLR, who suggested the DR) is convinced a 250 wouldnt have the power for long highway portions, and also be a concern in the mountains.

DRZ felt too tall and doesnt seem to do anything the DR doesn't. DRZ SM felt just about right like the DR. KLR weighs like a million pounds. BMWs just break down.

Other than being a suzuki, with exactly zero technological elements to it (like the KTM's ABS, EFI, ride modes, 6th gear, etc) is there any reason not to get a DR? It would need some $$ thrown at it for real ADV stuff but other than the lack of anything resembling wind protection it certainly looks capable of weekend trips and local powerline roads off the showroom floor while I develop dirt riding skills while hopefully avoiding more MRIs.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
Have you thought about a 300 XC?

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
My spouse is a midget (5'4") and rides a dr650. He'll take it almost anywhere, and where he won't I'll do it for him.

Spend a little money on the suspension, especially the rear shock. Front forks have a collar inside you can flip to drop the bike's ride height, the shock has a second hole to put the pivot into to drop it as well.

TM40 carb really wakes em up.

Having owned a KLR, don't do that. also BMW F650s are pretty drat reliable, so don't rule those out. (they're also injected)

as for DR/DRZ? If you want to do tight technical stuff, DRZ. if you prefer superslab and double track, DR. With skill you can take them both to the same places.

E: Sometimes he'll do poo poo like this:

cursedshitbox fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Dec 11, 2015

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

HAMAS HATE BOAT posted:

I'm looking for a midsized adventure bike, something highway capable, dualsport-touring that I can ride a few hours or days out to trails and forest service roads and ORV areas.

Have you looked into Koruthaiolos Husky Strada in the forsale thread? I have similar desires as you, and it looks Perfect In Every Way. Every way except being able to fit a 17 front and make it the sumo it always should have been, of course.

Are KTM's other than the usual 690/1290 worth looking at for road use? There are so many models and I've heard that they are either not worth it and will break, or they are not worth it because they will murder you (500exc?!).

Ideal Paradigm
Aug 7, 2005
Trouble at the old mill

clutchpuck posted:

Pay attention to wear items and big service intervals. Tires may or may not last 12k but you probably don't want them much longer past that, the chain is probably on the last 1/4 of its life too.

I know that valve clearance needs to be checked at 500 miles and at 16,000 miles, and then every 16,000 miles afterward. Seller claims there is 70% of tread left on the tires. I can always ask whether or not the tires are original or if he is on the second or third pair.

Renaissance Robot posted:

Can you even find one for less than that, regardless of condition?

No, I can't find any CB500 (whether it's F, X, or R variation) for that price. Not only that, this bike has ABS as well.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Seems a real good price so if it's still around after being up a couple days, I'd be concerned there's a reason for it being so low. Or it could be one of those crazy people who think 16,000 miles is EOL for a bike. I'd be wary.

Reading back, it's got 16k mi and if that's the valve interval, anticipate spending dollars at a dealer for that. 16k is a reasonable expectation for chain life too. If it needs new tires, chain, and valve check, you could be looking at like $800ish in expenses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HAMAS HATE BOAT
Jun 5, 2010

Coydog posted:

Have you looked into Koruthaiolos Husky Strada in the forsale thread? I have similar desires as you, and it looks Perfect In Every Way. Every way except being able to fit a 17 front and make it the sumo it always should have been, of course.

Are KTM's other than the usual 690/1290 worth looking at for road use? There are so many models and I've heard that they are either not worth it and will break, or they are not worth it because they will murder you (500exc?!).

One of those huskies would probably be great if that version of the company was still around and there would be support for them, not sure about that anymore though. Also DC to Seattle on a unicorn the week of xmas is maybe a bit hardcore for a fly and ride. It is a mild december so far though.

I looked at the plated KTM 350 and 500 enduros a while back, naturally thinking they might be smaller, lighter, easier to handle than a 690. But they're basically motocross bikes with plates ziptied on, and have the maintenance intervals to prove it. The 690 at least has periodic maintenance thats measured in thousands of miles and does not necessarily include replacing the piston, valves, valve springs, etc as consumables on a monthly basis, which is nice. I did read a review that the 690 enduro had a strange close ratio gearbox that made it a bit awkward to ride.

I'll probably have suspension parts on order as soon as i get the bike. Unfortunately finding a used one seems difficult unless i want to pay +4k for an 8-13 yr old brick that MSRPs new for 6 (plus a larger gas tank and a bash plate etc)