Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

Last Emperor posted:

So what's the hard and fast rule of avoiding fort bugginess at the moment?

Delete all of your forts, siege all of their forts. Create a world with no forts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sistergodiva
Jan 3, 2006

I'm like you,
I have no shame.

Any nice youtubers playing cossacks? I usualy like Arumba, but he is just playing one boring horde world conquest game right now. I usually like small and hard starts and weird stuff like moving continents and forming nations with strange nations.

skipThings
May 21, 2007

Tell me more about this
"Wireless fun-adaptor" you were speaking of.
Will I receive the Ideas guy achievement even if I use less than the eight hundred points? Getting real tired of trying to reach the full eight hundred points in the custom country creator

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!

skipThings posted:

Will I receive the Ideas guy achievement even if I use less than the eight hundred points? Getting real tired of trying to reach the full eight hundred points in the custom country creator

You should do, yeah. You can double check immediately after starting now they've added the achievements screen in-game: if it shows up you're eligible, if it doesn't then you're not eligible and can just exit immediately

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

DeeEmTee posted:

Steppe hordes get a 25% bonus to shock damage on friendly (owned?) steppe provinces. So what you do is build as many infantry as they have total units in their front line and then fill as much of your combat width as you can with horsemen for flanking bonuses which lets you completely stomp most armies.

If you do this you'll just end up with with all your infantry getting shredded on the front line, while only four of your cavalry regiments actually fight, and the rest will be sitting in the back row or dancing on the sidelines doing nothing. What you want, as a steppe horde, is armies comprised of nothing but cavalry (and later artillery), because you don't suffer a tactics penalty for it like other tech groups do. Infantry as a steppe horde is almost always a waste of manpower, except for sieges.

Guildencrantz
May 1, 2012

IM ONE OF THE GOOD ONES
Just formed Germany as TO->Prussia, I'm the biggest empire in Europe and have the awesome claims that I should be able to grab over the next 30-50 years. It's before 1700. Any ideas for goals more interesting/cool than "lebensraum the gently caress out of Europe with ridiculous space marine soldiers"?

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Guildencrantz posted:

Just formed Germany as TO->Prussia, I'm the biggest empire in Europe and have the awesome claims that I should be able to grab over the next 30-50 years. It's before 1700. Any ideas for goals more interesting/cool than "lebensraum the gently caress out of Europe with ridiculous space marine soldiers"?

Lebensraum the gently caress out of China.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
Conquer land in the shape of a dick.

Smiling Knight
May 31, 2011

My glorious King Carlos of the United States, you have finally overthrown our oppressive Spanish overlords. Then, through your diplomatic acumen you secured the throne of Louisiana as well. What is the next step for our nation?

Have your heard of the mystical land of Japan?

Yes, the secluded kingdom of the distant Orient. What of it?

We shall make it ours.

I have no idea what went through the USA's mind here. The don't even have a port on the Pacific Ocean!

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012
Can you get the achievements like "get 200 provinces" and "get 1000 provinces" while playing with a custom nation? Doing Ideas Guy now and it's super fun.

DeeEmTee
Jan 29, 2005

Fister Roboto posted:

If you do this you'll just end up with with all your infantry getting shredded on the front line, while only four of your cavalry regiments actually fight, and the rest will be sitting in the back row or dancing on the sidelines doing nothing. What you want, as a steppe horde, is armies comprised of nothing but cavalry (and later artillery), because you don't suffer a tactics penalty for it like other tech groups do. Infantry as a steppe horde is almost always a waste of manpower, except for sieges.

Yeah except we're talking about the early part of the game in which you can afford like 6 cavalry rofl

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

KoldPT posted:

Can you get the achievements like "get 200 provinces" and "get 1000 provinces" while playing with a custom nation? Doing Ideas Guy now and it's super fun.

don't think so, it should show if you're eligible in the achievements browser

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler
Just started up my first non-cheat game as Theodoro, got lucky and jumped on Crimea the moment they attacked Golden Horde and took Crimea (the province), and just expanded from there. Genoa ceased to be a problem once they left the HRE so I ousted them too.

Now I've started taking over the entirety of the Caucasian mountains, bumping up against the Ottomans, who got mauled by Venice, Persia, who is my main threat, Lithuania, and the Golden Horde, who is weak as crap but also has worthless land so no point in conquering them since I stripped Astrakhan from them.

What happens when Cossacks get over 80 influence anyways? And what do they do for provinces?

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Last Emperor posted:

So what's the hard and fast rule of avoiding fort bugginess at the moment?

For an actual answer: Forts now allow you to move inside their ZoC, but you can't go "through" them and if you want to leave the ZoC you have to do it through the same province that you came in from. There's still a bit of weirdness sometimes when 2-3 forts are right next to each other, but for the most part it works about how you'd expect. Just always be wary when you step "inside" a ZoC that you might not be able to just jump back out or have to take a weird detour and try to plan accordingly.

Sistergodiva posted:

Any nice youtubers playing cossacks? I usualy like Arumba, but he is just playing one boring horde world conquest game right now. I usually like small and hard starts and weird stuff like moving continents and forming nations with strange nations.

DDRJake actually works for Paradox as a tester and does a ton of weird/goofy campaigns and achievement runs. Right now he's doing a run going for The Third Way (convert all Islamic provinces to Ibadi) as Mzab, before that he played as Aq Qoyunlu and got into a 40 year war with the Ottomans. Because he actually works on the game he knows pretty much every weird mechanic and often shows off fun tricks/bugs/exploits, and you can learn quite a bit if you're a moderately experienced player. https://www.youtube.com/user/DDRJake/playlists

KoldPT posted:

No only the custom nation achievements are possible with custom nations unfortunately. It makes sense because being able to just plop down a country anywhere and give it almost any combination of bonuses would make a lot of achievements fairly trivial.

Also yeah Hordes are really fun now. Even with only a 50 point Zoroastrian Horde (going for Rags to Riches and the Rekindling the Fire achievements) my biggest setback so far is just waiting for my lands to convert so that my new provinces stop constantly revolting. Being able to save a bunch of points by starting with a 0/0/0 ruler and just getting all my monarch points from razing is pretty fun. I mean I still made him a general and killed him ASAP, but it wasn't nearly as brutal as I thought it'd be.

VDay fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Dec 11, 2015

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

KoldPT posted:

Nope! The little trophy insignia by the pause button will tell you what you're still eligible for this game.

Ithle01
May 28, 2013

Fister Roboto posted:

To add to this: cavalry are much stronger than infantry in the early game because their shock modifier and the pips on the unit are a lot larger. I think it's miltech 8 when you get the x2 shock bonus for cavalry and if you can get there before Ming you should absolutely destroy their armies once you lure them into your steppes. With the tribal conquest cb you can rack up warscore through punching Ming in the face and then siege down one or two forts and take as much land as you can. You'll probably want to destroy most of the forts you get after unrest dies down to a manageable level because there's no way you'll be able to afford them.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
Novgorod start is surprisingly tough for being a pretty solid power, because Muscovy (and because of a total lack of useful allies).

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.
I'm about 100 years into a Venice game and the Ottomans are just unstoppable. They've eaten Serbia and Wallachia outright and then they declared war on me. Despite my alliances with Austria-Hungary (they're PU'd) and super-Savoy (they ate Genoa), they still win every battle effortlessly despite being outnumbered 1.5:1.

I'm assuming this is because of their national ideas and the Janissaries. Is there anything I can do to hold off the Ottoman hordes once they get going? I didn't really bother with them much in the early game.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Buryatia's gold mine is a gold mine though tbh.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
The one thing that really needs to be fixed with Estates: the fact that various loyalty/influence events often don't give the actual bonus they say they will. It's either some bug where previous event bonuses/maluses are being knocked off when the new bonus/malus gets applied, or the game's doing that on purpose and just not surfacing that math in the event decisions. Either way it leads to misleading decisions where a +/-10 influence event actually gives +/-20, making it harder to micromanage a high influence.

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010

DeeEmTee posted:

Steppe hordes get a 25% bonus to shock damage on friendly (owned?) steppe provinces. So what you do is build as many infantry as they have total units in their front line and then fill as much of your combat width as you can with horsemen for flanking bonuses which lets you completely stomp most armies. It's completely worth it to go into debt to break a big nation because they will almost always go into more debt due to your units not costing anything to reinforce.

Really dumb question here but how do you find out what units go in the front line and combat width? Is it displayed anywhere?

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Novgorod start is surprisingly tough for being a pretty solid power, because Muscovy (and because of a total lack of useful allies).

I just got frozen assets earlier. You need Poland to PU Lith and to be able to rival the Teutonic Order. It might take some restarts. Poland has a habit of breaking itself against the Teutons now though so it's not even a sure thing. Livonia and the Teutons will probably ally so claim Livonia or take a mission against them. Call Poland in since Livonia probably won't ally Bohemia or anyone else strong enough to make a difference like the TO can. If Poland strikes first just try to help win. Muscovy will probably be wearing themselves out on the hordes in the mean time so attack them when they're fighting one. Muscovy can still put up a good fight even against Novgorod, Lithuania and Poland and a horde at the same time but with mercenaries you should be able to grind them down eventually. Once they're out of the way Novgorod doesn't have any real threats as long as you stay good with the PLC.

Got it in 1612. Took trade-expansion-plutocratic-exploration. Build manufactories everywhere and production development. It helped that for some reason the PLC wasn't contesting trade from Kiev and letting 100% of it flow north even though by then we were rivals.

Trujillo fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Dec 11, 2015

az
Dec 2, 2005

VDay posted:

a 40 year war with the Ottomans

How do you even deal with the war exhaustion and call for peace :psyduck:

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

DeeEmTee posted:

Yeah except we're talking about the early part of the game in which you can afford like 6 cavalry rofl

If you can't afford enough cavalry, you're not looting enough, or giving enough land to your tribes.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Why would you use infantry even for sieges? The reason you usually do that is reinforcing infantry is cheaper... but, you know, since hordes get free reinforcements, that's pointless. Just never make infantry.

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

az posted:

He was down to -91% warscore for a while there, but he used that as an opportunity to show how the enemy can't send you negative stab peace offers if your own rebels took any land they occupied. He eventually won but he wasn't quick enough to grab istanbul.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

GreyPowerVan posted:

Why would you use infantry even for sieges? The reason you usually do that is reinforcing infantry is cheaper... but, you know, since hordes get free reinforcements, that's pointless. Just never make infantry.

Well, if all you can afford is 6 cavalry like DeeEmTee suggests, you can't siege a capital province which has a castle in it.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

az posted:

By not winning. No call for peace if you don't have a positive warscore.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Trujillo posted:

I just got frozen assets earlier. You need Poland to PU Lith and to be able to rival the Teutonic Order. It might take some restarts. Poland has a habit of breaking itself against the Teutons now though so it's not even a sure thing. Livonia and the Teutons will probably ally so claim Livonia or take a mission against them. Call Poland in since Livonia probably won't ally Bohemia or anyone else strong enough to make a difference like the TO can. If Poland strikes first just try to help win. Muscovy will probably be wearing themselves out on the hordes in the mean time so attack them when they're fighting one. Muscovy can still put up a good fight even against Novgorod, Lithuania and Poland and a horde at the same time but with mercenaries you should be able to grind them down eventually. Once they're out of the way Novgorod doesn't have any real threats as long as you stay good with the PLC.

Got it in 1612. Took trade-expansion-plutocratic-exploration. Build manufactories everywhere and production development. It helped that for some reason the PLC wasn't contesting trade from Kiev and letting 100% of it flow north even though by then we were rivals.

After a couple tries I decided "ehh, Muscovy seems to like attacking Novgorod first, maybe I'll just try the Kazan achievement."

Guess what happened. :saddowns:

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Are there any plans to revamp the ledger? I feel like it could really use some improvements in functionality and usability. I really miss being able to build things from it.

DeeEmTee
Jan 29, 2005

GreyPowerVan posted:

You hire mercenary infantry so you rarely have to put your expansion on hold due to manpower.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

Fintilgin posted:

I've often thought fleets should work more like HoI airplanes. You give them a Home Port and set them a mission and it's carried out independently. You never manually move them province to province.

So I put a large fleet in Southhampton and set it to Intercept: Aggressive and if any enemy fleets are spotted within its highlighted range it sallies out to crush them. I put small fleet of light ships in Ireland and set them to Patrol: Flee Combat the Mid-Atlantic/Bay of Biscay Region so they can spot Frenchmen for my intercept fleet. Another small fleet is set to patrol North Sea Region to watch for Ruskies. Then I set a final fleet in Cornwall to Blockade: English Channel Region, and it moves out and auto blockades all enemy ports in that region.

The current system where if you're distracted for a minute the attrition free AI fleet plops a giant army in your lands or colonial holding while your fleet naps in port is kinda exasperating.

There needs to be naval Interdiction in this game like there is in Hearts of Iron II.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.
Is there a way to add custom events to custom nations?

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
They have a tag if you look at debug mode, have you tried tying the events to that? You could do it by culture or whatever too.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

DeeEmTee posted:

You hire mercenary infantry so you rarely have to put your expansion on hold due to manpower.

Hordes don't have to worry about manpower. Your Tribes provinces give so much manpower.

DeeEmTee
Jan 29, 2005

GreyPowerVan posted:

Hordes don't have to worry about manpower. Your Tribes provinces give so much manpower.

Dude again, we're talking about the early game here. Unless you're expanding slow as poo poo or into the easiest possible targets which is incredibly dumb your manpower goes low.

Sistergodiva
Jan 3, 2006

I'm like you,
I have no shame.

Any tips for Riga? Trying the take the whole baltic achivement, but having both musovy and poland gunning for your stuff and being unable to join the empire makes it hard. Also ideas? Trade was really good when I managed to get Danzig.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

GreyPowerVan posted:

Yeah, this is wrong

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

I don't know about you guys but the fact that my cavalry armies kill armies twice their size while barely losing anything makes it where I don't have many problems with manpower, even earlygame.

Maybe if you're not fighting in the steppes or get a bunch of lovely generals?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
Have all the various hotfixes recently fixed the save game deletion/corruption deal or is that still a thing?

• Locked thread